FINGER EXTENSOR WORK

Guest kINGPIN

Guest kINGPIN

I recently got hold of an elastic band that is just over 1cm wide and just the right size and strength for doing extensor movements.  Does anyone actually bother with these as described in THE INSIDERS TELL ALL HANDBOOK ON WEIGHT TRAINING TECNIQUE?  Is it worth the effort, and how much should i do?

Not sure how they do them in the handbook, but i usually do sets of 10.

This is one of the exercises used to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome.

Guest kINGPIN

Thanks for the responses guys.  All the exercise is is taking a load of elastic bands, wraping them around your fingers and thumb, and extending them all out.  I tried it last night with the thick rubber band I got and it does work the hand real hard.  Another bonus is that I managed to find another one outside the swimming pool the other day.  They use different coloured ones so that people can have a cirtain amount of time in the pool.....its not stealing....its recycling. :)

I do these regularly.  3 sets of 20 each hand.  Our local basketball phenom, Kevin Garnett, helped popularize wearing a thick, wide rubberband on the wrist.  At last year's MN State Fair, many booths were giving these away for free with their business name, or whatever, printed on them.  I really stocked up on them as their great for this exercise.  I hope they have them this year too :)

I also have a weighted bucket where I stick my hand partway inside and then extend my fingers into the inside rim of the bucket.  I also have a pail of sand in an empty ice cream pail where I stick my hand as far into the bucket as I can and extend my fingers, pushing away the sand.  That one's good for toughening up the hands a bit too.

BC.

I do these regularly.  3 sets of 20 each hand.  Our local basketball phenom, Kevin Garnett, helped popularize wearing a thick, wide rubberband on the wrist.  At last year's MN State Fair, many booths were giving these away for free with their business name, or whatever, printed on them.  I really stocked up on them as their great for this exercise.  I hope they have them this year too :)

I also have a weighted bucket where I stick my hand partway inside and then extend my fingers into the inside rim of the bucket.  I also have a pail of sand in an empty ice cream pail where I stick my hand as far into the bucket as I can and extend my fingers, pushing away the sand.  That one's good for toughening up the hands a bit too.

BC.

Guest scotte

I do them in the same way stuart suggested in the book.

Work up to sets of 15 with progressivly more bands.

Do them twice a week and make sure you regulary change the bands as they get easier as they stretch.

You can also do extensions in a jay of rice!  John Christy recomends this.

Guest kINGPIN

Thanx for all the replies on this subject ppl.  Now I don't feel I am wasteing my time so much now.  I might have to try the ol' rice trick I think, I remember hearing about that in my Karate days.