Age Related Question

OregonTod

I know there are probably a lot of guys in their 50s or even older who can close Ironmind's # 3 gripper. I'm curious, are there many people who close it for the FIRST time who are in their mid 50s? also, any idea who is the oldest person to close the # 3 and what age they are/were?

• Like 1

Gale Gillingham certified on the #3 when he was 55 years old.  I think Richard Sorin was 56 or 57 when he re-certified on the #3.  It was definitely not Sorin's "first" time closing a #3, which was part of your question.  I doubt it was Gillingham's either.  I know a guy who MMS closed a #3 (pretty "average" RGC of 149) when he was 57 years old.  It was not a cert close, but it was his first #3 close.  He was a terrifically strong guy who did very heavy shrugs and deadlifts for most of his strength training work.  He did say he had "messed with grippers" years back.  But I don't know how much real training that was.  He was only an acquaintance, not a close friend.

• Like 3

I was somewhere in my late 50s when I closed my first #3 (an easy one) at one of John Beatty's contests (I didn't start grip until I was 55).  I closed several in my 60s - all MMS or block set - a 156# Block set at one of Jedd's contests is my best ever.  I closed my 146# - #3 - CCS a couple times in my 60s.  I no longer train grippers and haven't tried a #3 in a long time - though I can still TNS my #2.5.

• Like 4

On 1/27/2017 at 2:35 PM, OregonTod said:

I know there are probably a lot of guys in their 50s or even older who can close Ironmind's # 3 gripper. I'm curious, are there many people who close it for the FIRST time who are in their mid 50s? also, any idea who is the oldest person to close the # 3 and what age they are/were?

I feel a much bigger variable to this question, than just age, is what is your technique like with the gripper?  If you do the old plop and squeeze trick, you may never close a #3, regardless of age.

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

I was somewhere in my late 50s when I closed my first #3 (an easy one) at one of John Beatty's contests (I didn't start grip until I was 55).  I closed several in my 60s - all MMS or block set - a 156# Block set at one of Jedd's contests is my best ever.  I closed my 146# - #3 - CCS a couple times in my 60s.  I no longer train grippers and haven't tried a #3 in a long time - though I can still TNS my #2.5.

You once closed a #4 in a choker too. So yes one can get strong even at old age especially if you had strength background. 

• Like 1

No question the greatest crushing grip in history at an older age was G Gillingham. Not even close. I am pretty sure he could still close a 3 at will until he passed away in his mid-to-late 60s. He was a long time trainer of weights, before others in the NFL were.

Richard Sorin's re-certification at Age 57 is the oldest person to cert to date.

Chris Rice's Number 3 squeezes put him in rarified air.

We now have guys like David Horne who are over 50 who can do so with ease.

I touched my first gripper at Age 44. I closed my first Number 3, an average one, about a week before I turned 53. I smashed an easy one on my 53rd birthday at a contest in England. I closed a hard Number 3 (158 or 159 on the RGC) with a set of about 1.5 inches in a contest when I was 56 years, 4 months old. I am 62 years old and still not Certified. I thought I would be back in 2008, but am still working on it. The last bit via credit card set is a bitch, what can I say.  

• Like 5

Thank you all for the great and very informative answers, it's really appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Hubgeezer said:

No question the greatest crushing grip in history at an older age was G Gillingham. Not even close. I am pretty sure he could still close a 3 at will until he passed away in his mid-to-late 60s. He was a long time trainer of weights, before others in the NFL were.

Richard Sorin's re-certification at Age 57 is the oldest person to cert to date.

Chris Rice's Number 3 squeezes put him in rarified air.

We now have guys like David Horne who are over 50 who can do so with ease.

I touched my first gripper at Age 44. I closed my first Number 3, an average one, about a week before I turned 53. I smashed an easy one on my 53rd birthday at a contest in England. I closed a hard Number 3 (158 or 159 on the RGC) with a set of about 1.5 inches in a contest when I was 56 years, 4 months old. I am 62 years old and still not Certified. I thought I would be back in 2008, but am still working on it. The last bit via credit card set is a bitch, what can I say.  

Keep on keeping on Mike - you'll get it - I have faith.  Stupid Credit Card sure makes it harder though! 

• Like 4