Under the Radar - Grip Profile - Michael Rabich

anwnate

Today's profile features Michael Rabich.

At risk of becoming a habit, we profile yet another gripster who is very hard on himself.  He is remarkably unimpressed with his own accomplishments.  It always amuses me when someone who can out-grip 99.99% of the world's population, only compares themselves to the top .01%.  As I found out with a face-to-face meeting with Michael…he is impressively strong.

My first contact with Michael was in April 2016 on the GripBoard's SJ3 thread.  He mentioned he wanted to compete in his first contest.  Seeing he was in Queens…I asked if he knew Anton Torrella.  Although a long time GripBoard member, he hadn't.  The two of them soon met and have become regular training partners and friends.  Living relatively close by, Michael was also gracious enough to bring surprise guest Chris "Wonder" Schoeck to SJ3. 

While I was busy trying to keep the contest running smoothly, I kept noticing Rabich's performance throughout.  For a first contest…he kept surprising me...and ended up taking 1st in the 93kg weight class.  As impressed as I was, it was the Iron Mind Rolling Thunder Farmer's Walk that made a lasting impression on me.  He literally cocked both wrists and somehow held them that way throughout the course.  He managed two full lengths on the 50 ft course…beating out several competitors that outweighed him.  This is a ridiculous display of wrist strength.

When I mentioned Rabich was a long time GripBoard member…I wasn't exaggerating.  He's been around since 2004, predating all but a few members.  Upon looking, don't expect to find a ton of posts though.  In his own words…"I'm more of a lurker than a poster."  Michael often quotes the adage…"if you cannot improve on a silence, don't say anything".   He lives by these words and most often lets his deeds do the talking.

With that in mind, in the profile below you won't see him mention his service to this country.  I have incredible respect for those who choose to keep this country safe and risk their lives doing so.  Michael served in the Infantry Unit of the U.S. Army and has done combat deployments…including Afghanistan.  He managed to train throughout his service and has an excellent idea about the grip strength of the average soldier is.

Powerlifting for over a decade, at 190lbs…he managed a 555 deadlift. Not one to be a big fish in a small pond, he trains regularly in the Middle Village in the midst of multiple powerlifting record holders.  He's particularly strong at neck lifts and standing overhead press.  He's cleaned and pressed 98lbs on a 2.5" dumbbell and has done 90lbs on the wrist wrench.  At a recent Queens workout, he pulled a Sorinex Axle milestone of 300lbs.  A man of hidden talents, he learned a number of juggling techniques in a few short months.

It is my pleasure to introduce the 4th member to be profiled from the NYC Queen's Grip Contingent.  Let's hear from Mr. Rabich.

Michael Rabich pic.jpg

7 Questions to get to know Michael.

1.  What are your stats?  Gripboard Name, Age, Height (inches/meters), Weight (lbs/kgs), R/L dominant hand size (cm/in), Country/City (or region … whatever you are comfortable with), Relationship Status, Kids?, Occupation ("international spy" is acceptable) 

GripBoard name:  MRabich

Height:  6'1" (185.4 cm)

Weight:  200lbs (90.7 kgs) 

Hand Size:  7.5" (19 cm)

Relationship: Married for 10 years, 1 daughter (8yo)

2.  Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)? 

I been strength training since I was 18 year old.  I remember reading Dinosaur Training by Brooks Kubik.  He stressed having strong grip, so I bought some Ironmind grippers and some thick dumbbell handles.  Most of my training is powerlifting style, therefore I always do some double overhand deadlifts (personal best is 435).  In 2016, I saw that there was a meet held relatively close to me.  I decided to go.  I had good time and will continue competing.

3.  Before you die, what is your ULTIMATE grip goal/goals? 

Lifting an Inch. 

I would also like to deadlift 500 lbs double overhand. 

My other goals are just improving the lifts I've done in competitions.   I did 64 kgs on 2.5 inch crusher and would like to raise it to 70 kgs at SNJ4.  I'd like to see nice gains on pinch and grippers too.

4.  How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training? 

I go to gym 3 times a week.  In the last 2 weeks I threw a couple of sets of one arm deadlifts.  I also do some pinch block curls at home. 

For a while I was training once a week with Anton Torrella.  In the past 2 months I have not had chance to train with him often…due to holiday work load, but hopefully we will resume our weekly training.  We like to just run through the whole gauntlet of equipment we have between the 2 of us. 

Sometimes other people come along too, most notably to the grip world Jose Cabrera, Chris Schoeck  and Anthony Clarino (though I have not yet had the pleasure of training with him yet, missed him by like an hour on Dec. 31).  I will be competing in SJ4.  About 3 months before the contest, I will start focusing on the competition lifts.

5.  What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

Spending time with family.

I’m a big sports fan, especially baseball and football

I been a league bowler for the last 3 years, and recently I took up juggling.

6.  Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

If somebody is reading this, and contemplating on competing, DO SO!

It WILL be a good time!

7.  Who's Grip profile would you like to see next?

Don Smitley.  He participated in 2 grip contests that I did, and showed great improvement.  After that, I saw him put up some really high numbers at King Kong. 

The man must be doing something right.

Thanks Michael.  Don has been contacted and has agreed to be profiled. 

• Like 9

Great profile - I really appreciate the friendship I've made with Mike over grip and weight lifting - and the New York Mets - and training with him is a constant source of motivation - more good times and good beers to come!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Great profile - I really appreciate the friendship I've made with Mike over grip and weight lifting - and the New York Mets - and training with him is a constant source of motivation - more good times and good beers to come!

Next time we have a full house on hand like we had on last Saturday, I promise I'll even bend something for you guys, Queens Crew is inspiring.

• Like 1

I'm glad I've gotten to meet Mike twice now, great guy, very good pinch and thick bar, look forward to see you again!

• Like 3

Mike is definitely the strongest guy at the post office lol! He has no clue how strong his grip is and his humility makes it all the more impressive. Another great profile Nate!

• Like 4