Jawamac's boring workout log-

Jawamac

New to the board, however, have been training grip lightly for about 6 years. Looking to soak up a lot of knowledge, ideas, techniques, etc. from you guys! I'm a competitive pistol shooter, so my workouts will be a lot of grip related things-

Friday 1/20-

Imtug 2- warmup index & middle and ring & pinky fingers. Also worked the thumb

imtug 3- ring & pinky-20 reps. Thumb negatives

imtug 4- ring & pinky-15 reps. Index & middle- 20 reps

imtug 6- index & middle- 3 reps

Ironmind Little Big Horn-

100x1

120x1

155x1

165x1

extensor work with rubber bands, some blob lifts, and dexterity balls. 

• Like 1

That is some pretty serious little big horn action. 165# is no joke. How do you think it helps with shooting? Or is it just for fun?

Ever try imtugs one finger at a time? Especially ring or pinky? I get a unique soreness when I do that, especially high reps, so I figure it's doing something. 2 and 3.

I also like to close the imtugs with just thumb against palm, sets of 6-10 with 3 and sets of 40-50 with 2. That and sledgehammer fingerwalks have made my thumb pads disproportionately large, and helped mostly with hub lifting I think. Should make a good backdrop to set a gripper against, but haven't been doing much gripper work lately so we'll see. You may or may not be interested in that, but thought I'd mention it.

Welcome, lots of good stuff here.

Thanks, Adam. I'm not 100% sure the LBH has any affect on shooting, but it sure is a Fun and challenging little guy! I'm also addicted to the imtugs as you can see...:D

2 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Ever try imtugs one finger at a time? Especially ring or pinky? I get a unique soreness when I do that, especially high reps, so I figure it's doing something. 2 and 3.

Wobbler,

I occasionlly work my trigger/index finger by itself with the #6 , and #4 for reps; I need to breakdown and buy the #5. In reference to the ring and pinky, I Get a "good" soreness after my tug workouts on these digits! I never got that soreness from anything other than the tugs! I love these things!

2 minutes ago, wobbler said:

I also like to close the imtugs with just thumb against palm, sets of 6-10 with 3 and sets of 40-50 with 2. That and sledgehammer fingerwalks have made my thumb pads disproportionately large, and helped mostly with hub lifting I think. Should make a good backdrop to set a gripper against, but haven't been doing much gripper work lately so we'll see. You may or may not be interested in that, but thought I'd mention it.

Welcome, lots of good stuff here.

Never tried thumb against Palm; Gonna give it a shot. I usually just rest it on my index finger.  Do you happen to have the tug 5? I wanted to get an expert opinion to the 4 and 6. 

I have 2-7. 5 to 6 is a good jump, 5 is much closer to the 4.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wobbler said:

I have 2-7. 5 to 6 is a good jump, 5 is much closer to the 4.

Excellent, Wobbler! The jump from 4-6 was massive! I was a bit concerned that the #5 would be too much for my ring and pinky. Curious how the #7 is...? 

1 hour ago, Jawamac said:

Excellent, Wobbler! The jump from 4-6 was massive! I was a bit concerned that the #5 would be too much for my ring and pinky. Curious how the #7 is...? 

The #7 is like grabbing a CoC 2.5 or GHP6 and trying to tns that with 2 fingers in terms of strength, I almost closed it with my index/middle, but I ended up selling all my tugs because I prefer my RBA with negative handle and my GD Iron Grip 80 adjustable grippers. I had all the tugs except for #1 and 3 and closed all of them except #7, #6 for 6 reps only with my index/middle, everything else I could close with ring/pinkie (though with great effort if I recall correctly for the left digits for minimal reps). The tugs can work great for negatives as that's how I grew some using them.

I've got a few grippers for sale if anyone is interested, though they're quite spread far apart from a CoC .5 (difficulty wise) to a GHP10.

3 hours ago, Yan_Wei said:

The #7 is like grabbing a CoC 2.5 or GHP6 and trying to tns that with 2 fingers in terms of strength, I almost closed it with my index/middle, but I ended up selling all my tugs because I prefer my RBA with negative handle and my GD Iron Grip 80 adjustable grippers. I had all the tugs except for #1 and 3 and closed all of them except #7, #6 for 6 reps only with my index/middle, everything else I could close with ring/pinkie (though with great effort if I recall correctly for the left digits for minimal reps). The tugs can work great for negatives as that's how I grew some using them.

I've got a few grippers for sale if anyone is interested, though they're quite spread far apart from a CoC .5 (difficulty wise) to a GHP10.

Thanks, Yan! I have closed the #2.5, but been a long time since I've tried, and NOT with only two fingers! Gonna skip on the #7.  Thanks for your input! 

• Like 1

Can't find the 7, I can barely close the 6 index and middle so my opinion on that wouldn't do you much good anyway.

Try sledgehammer fingerwalks if you haven't yet. I'm all about dex balls and extensor bands but if I had to pick one exercise for overall grip strength and dexterity, it would be fingerwalks.

8 hours ago, wobbler said:

Can't find the 7, I can barely close the 6 index and middle so my opinion on that wouldn't do you much good anyway.

Try sledgehammer fingerwalks if you haven't yet. I'm all about dex balls and extensor bands but if I had to pick one exercise for overall grip strength and dexterity, it would be fingerwalks.

Wobbler, never heard of 'fingerwalks'. Gonna have to check those out! I do some levering, etc with my sledgehammers just to keep the wrists strong. I broke down and bought the #5 tug yesterday. Still need to strengthen my ring and pinky a lot!

Sunday 1/22/17

Stretching

KB strict presses

16kg- 2x15

24kg- 1x10

Sledge levering

8lbx5

12lbx1

16lbx1

Sup & Pro with 8lb

More stretching

1/24/17

Stretching and roller work

IMTUG 3- warmup all fingers

IMTUG 4- ring and pinky 3x12-15 reps

IMTUG 5- ring and pinky (rh only) 3x1. Wow, just got this today and realized just how weak my ring and pinky are! 

IMTUG 6- 5x1 (holds)

The Stirrup-

1x67lbs

1x102lbs

1x122lbs

1x147lbs

quit due to lower back pain. More roller work and stretching. 

• Like 1

1/26/17

Did some high rep work ( I really enjoy high rep V. low rep/high weight)

IMTUG 2- 4x25- ring and pinky

IMTUG 4- 2x10- ring and pinky; 2x25- index and middle. 

IMTUG 5- 3x1- index and middle

Extensor work, Dexterity balls, sledgehammer sup and pro work, and sledge levers.

1/28/17

SS Biathlon-

Jerks- 24 reps each r&l-4min- 24kg

cleans-24 reps each r&l-4 min-32kg

I'm certainly not in the shape I used to be, but proud I was able to complete. 

1/30/17

SS Longcycle-

16kg- 46 reps (23L&r)- 4min.

IMTUG 2- Warmup all fingers and thumb

IMTUG 4- Ring and Pinky- 4x15

IMTUG 5-Index and middle 3x5

COC Zenith 3- Ordered it and received today- 5x1-RH, 3x1-LH. As you can see, I don't work grippers often (hence my putrid set), but I try.

Finished off with extensor work, Dex balls, and roller work for back.

Edited by Jawamac
  • Like 2

2/1/17

SS Longcycle-

24kg- 36 reps-4min

IMTUG2 3x25- ring and pinky

IMTUG4 3x15- ring and pnky

IMTUG5 3x10 index and middle

KB BUP 16kg-3x10

extensor work and some COD Black Ops II Zombies (works your fingers great after a two hour long game!):D

2/2/17

Pinch hub lifts, Half penny Lifts, blob, shot puts!

Pinch Hub Lifts-

1x31lbs

1x41lbs

1x51lbs

1x61lbs

Half Penny Lift-

Some Blob lifts and played around with my 12 & 16lb shot puts.

• Like 1

1/6/14

KB SS Longcycle-

32kg-32 reps-4 min!

(Very excited I was able to do this).

IMTUG 2- 3x25- ring and pinky

IMTUG 4- 3x12- ring and pinky

IMTUG 5- 3x8- index and middle

extensor work and dexterity balls.

1/8/14

stretching 

lbh-

50lbsx3

100x2

135x1

155x1 (missed LH)

165x1( missed LH)

165x1 (missed LH)

165x1 (missed LH)

After last miss LH, I'm pretty sure I tore a tendon in my knuckle, so I might back off and just do KB's for a bit.

IMTUG 2- ring and pinky 5x12

dexterity balls and stretching to close out.

1/10/17

Stretching and roller work

SS KB Biathlon

Cleans- 48reps-4:00-40kg (one hand switch)

Jerks- 48reps-4:00-24kg (one hand switch)- was so tired after using the 40kg bell, I'm surprised I did the jerks. 

Stretching and roller work. Dex balls for hands. 

1/12/17

Longcycle-24kg-32reps-3:03

Bent two pieces of 6x1/4" crs in imps, reverse. 

Some blob lifts.

IMTUG2-2x25- ring and pinky

IMTUG4-4x8- ring and pinky

1/13/17

KB Work

Cleans- 24kg- 6:00-90 total reps

Strict Press-16kg- 6:00- 102 total reps.

dex balls, sledgehammer levers to finish off. 

Going to transition to the RKC ladders soon. 

1/15/17

Monster mini band stretching

KB clean and press ladders

3x3 rungs- 32kg

IMTUG2-3x5- ring and pinky

IMTUG4-3x5- ring and pinky

IMTUG5-3x5- index and middle

dex balls, extensor work, roller, and more stretching. COD III on Xbox One S for fingers and hands.:D