Newcomer to grip training

Boulderbrew

Trained some probation/supination with my six pound sledge (using assistance). Also dabbled in some bending and reverse bent my first 60d nail. I am completely inept with the double overhand technique. Couldn't budge the nail, so I switched to reverse style and it went. Strange. Curious if anyone else has a similar strength discrepancy?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

Trained some probation/supination with my six pound sledge (using assistance). Also dabbled in some bending and reverse bent my first 60d nail. I am completely inept with the double overhand technique. Couldn't budge the nail, so I switched to reverse style and it went. Strange. Curious if anyone else has a similar strength discrepancy?

After an old pec injury i am much stronger in the rev bend than in DO. Reverse is much more wrist and hand strength based than DO.

1 minute ago, jvance said:

After an old pec injury i am much stronger in the rev bend than in DO. Reverse is much more wrist and hand strength based than DO.

It's also crazy how much the nails vary. I just bent a bright nail that was really pretty hard, and a galvanized one that was butter 

• Like 1

As you saw at Aaron's DO bending requires a good bit of flexibility, and some time to get used to.  However all the hard steel is generally bent that way.  Any bending that comes along in a grip contest is usually reverse, which I feel is easier to learn though not as powerful for most.  I like to mix in some 60D reverse bends now & then and sometimes throw in a Gr5 bolt.  If you don't want to spend money on steel, David Horne also makes a Wrist Developer that is very similar to reverse bending.  However, it's not quite the same.  The WD is also some $ so it's up to you.  

Nails do vary.  Most of the 60D in the box stores here are usually pretty easy.  My brother got a box of galvanized 60D online, and those are harder than any of the bare 60Ds.  Aaron has a chart at http://gripratings.com/index.php?id=2  that will give you some idea of the steel stacks up.  But depending on what came out of the forge for that batch of steel, how close they were following the diameter specs (nails may vary, the higher grade steel is usually dead on), how precisely the heat treating was done, etc. all plays a role.  

1 minute ago, bwwm said:

Linking Jedd's page, since David's is down temporarily:

http://thegripauthority.com/wd/wrist-developer.htm

Cool, thanks Martin. Yeah you remember how hard I struggled with that 60d at Aaron's? It felt so much easier today. A full day of grip competition could have had something to do with why I was such a struggle bus (probably just weak wrists). Who knows. I have some grade 5 bolts that I haven't tried yet. I get the feeling that they will be quite difficult.

• Like 1

The bright nails all measure .26in while the galvanized all measure .25. 

• Like 1

Took me a year or two to bend a gr 5.  But when I started I couldn't bend a 60D, and had to get 1/4" HRS & CRS from IMS to get things going.

Tips Tester one handed: 170lbs 

3 x 8sec hold on each side until failure, super set with tips Tester one arms until failure.

similar workout with 2.5 Crusher using 160lbs

I rested yesterday and the day before that I did a marathon pinch workout. Didn't feel totally fresh, but still I decided to try hard on the tips Tester today.  I really do feel as if I have regressed on this lift since I abandoned rock climbing training all together. While all my other lifts have gone up, my thick bar and tips tester have Diminished slightly. I do notice that lifting inch is a little bit more difficult now as well. I guess this is OK because my pinch and crush strength is better than when I started grip training in January.

I am going to start training the Tips tester in a similar fashion to how I trained finger strength when focusing on rock climbing training.

A coach I used to have would have me grab a wooden rung about one inch deep at most with one hand. I would then use my off hand to assist my way into a locked off one arm pull up and do an 8 second negative (not quite failure in the first couple reps). The workout consisted of theee reps on each side and that was a set. I would do 3-4 sets in total on each side. 

I would do this workout fresh every Monday and Friday and progressively add weight. I used This same style of workout to increase my one arm pull up strength, And went from being able to do 6 one arms to being able to do 10. 

This style of training clearly benefited my open hand crimp the most, so I may start reincorporating it. 

• Like 2