2017 Southern Squeeze 2 -- Carl Donati

Buccos1

I was looking for an opportunity to take a trip and get some redemption with grippers, after just missing an attempt at a 131lb. gripper at Nate's this past summer.  When I saw the details for the SS2 posted, it caught my attention and I thought it possible to attend, if a few things worked out.  They almost didn't but I was able to make the 1200 mile (20+ hour round trip) drive into Tennessee for the first time.  The drive itself was uneventful, until I got into Nashville, where I was almost in two accidents.  One lady slammed on her brakes on the highway for someone slowing down about 10 car lengths in front of her.  And someone else nearly rammed me from the side ... not looking at all before turning.  Welcome to Nashville!!  LOL  Nashville was awesome though, and I was very impressed with the city and surrounding area.  I didn't get to go out too much, but it seemed like a really alive area with a ton to do and see.

My absolute focus for this competition was grippers and improving upon my comp PR (20mm block close) of 129lbs.  As mentioned, I missed a 131lb. #2.5 by about 1mm this past summer and have continued to really focus on grippers this past year.  All-around, though, things continue to improve, but very slowly.  I have trained the Flask and Tips Tester, but haven't really felt strong on either.  My goals going in were:

Grippers (20mm) - 130lb.
Flask - 155lb.
Tips Tester - 130lb.

The events:

Grippers (20mm)

118 - good
128 - good
131 - good (PR)
Pass

I wasn't sure where I was going to start with grippers.  There were no grippers in between 118 and 128, so I went with the 118, although I knew it'd be an easy close.  I think this was a good call, because the 128 attempt (GHP 6) felt so easy, I was shocked.  With the adrenaline still going, I went with the 131lb. #2.5, which I have never closed in training.  (My best at home was my 128 GHP6 and it's been hit-or-miss the past few months with a block-set.)  But, today, I was so amped up for grippers, it closed about as easy as it would have with a MMS.  The next step up was 136 or 139, so I ended up passing, as I didn't feel I had a realistic chance and wanted to save something for the other events.  I was super-psyched to get the 131lb. close and happy that all of the gripper-work has payed off.  

Flask

125 - good
138 - good
149 - miss
149 - miss

2-hand pinch isn't really my strong suit (or fat bars), but things have been relatively consistent in training, with me getting 150lbs. 90% of my attempts.  But warmups felt average, so I decided to go in a little light to be safe.  125 felt too light.  Same thing with 138.  So, I skipped 143 and went right to 149, thinking I had a good shot at it, and could still recover if I missed.  I ended up messing around too much on my set-up and wasn't "right" prior to pulling and ended up loosing my grip about halfway up.  The next attempt at the same weight was a little better, but I was overthinking things too much and missed again.  I should have went 143 and I am certain I  would have had that and a very good shot at the 149 or even the next number up.

Tips Tester - 1 hand

110 - good
121 - good
126 - good
132 - miss

My best in training with this lift was a shaky 130lbs.  So these numbers are pretty consistent.  I was able to see a lot of different attempt styles and hand placements, which will definitely give me something to work on in my own training, along with set-up variations.  I think with some smart training with this lift, I can get up to 150lbs.

Medley

6 items

I had a good plan for the medley and was pretty confident I could get 8 things, but ended up getting side-tracked by the Dub Hub.  One of my better lifts has been the Hub and hub-style events.  Even without focused training on these, I am decent at them and can usually get any event in a medley.  But, after doing all of my attempts with my right hand, I "forgot" to switch to my left for some of the attempts, and ended up wasting a lot of time fumbling around with a few of the hub lifts.  I made 4-5 attempts at a 35lb. plate with my right, all of which kept slipping, moved on, then came back to it and picked it up easy with my left on the first attempt.  With about 12-15 seconds left, I went back to the Dub Hub and was set on getting it, after missing it multiple times with my right.  (It was slicker than I thought and I made the mistake of not sizing it up prior to the event ... thinking it was similar to the IM Hub in texture/feel.)  But my technique with the IM Hub actually threw me off I think, and I had to switch my grip to get it, with about 1 sec. left.  I could have gotten 2 more points likely if I would have moved on, but I couldn't let that thing beat me, and was happy (kinda) that I was able to get it.  If I would have used my left more, I think I would have gotten 8 things easy.

Notes:

Overall, there were a lot of strong dudes at the competition, and it was very helpful watching some of the set-ups and grip styles with the Flask and Tips Tester, which I will definitely try to work into my training.  It was also great to finally meet people from the board that I have watched or communicated with in some form over the years.  The competition itself was very well-run and Gil and Maria did a great job with everything.  

The strongman show by Tim was really cool and impressive that he was able to tap the reserve to perform after a long day.  Delmar bent a KOAB like it was nothing and then bent one of my newer-batch (hard) Reds in ONE IMP.  I'm sure the bend was tougher than it appeared, but he made it look effortless.  Delmar is one impressive steel bender!  

The numbers and results were really close and I would have definitely liked to have done a little better overall (particularly with the Flask and medley), probably moving me up a few spots in the standing if I would have called my attempts differently, but it was a good overall learning experience.  I am definitely happy with getting the 131lb. #2.5 and anxious to get back to my 2017 goal: the MM0.  

Finally, I got to hang out with a bunch of the guys (don't want to miss anyone so won't post names) after the comp at a local restaurant/brewery.  Awesome food, drinks and company.  I would have loved to hang out longer, but had to make sure I got some sleep for the long drive home.  And I had to be home before the Steelers' game!  

• Like 10

Great write up, Carl! It was great to finally get to put a face with the name and watch you perform. Your grip technique was very well executed and impressive to watch. Hope to see you at some more competitions this year. :) 

• Like 1

Tennessee is an awesome state but It is known for its terrible drivers ( not kidding). Lol. It was great meeting you Carl and even though I had to get up early the next morning I really regret not going out with everyone after the event. Definitely next time.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Squeezus said:

Great write up, Carl! It was great to finally get to put a face with the name and watch you perform. Your grip technique was very well executed and impressive to watch. Hope to see you at some more competitions this year. :) 

Thanks ... it was great meeting you too!  I think all of the reps with RRBT and KTA really dialed things in.

21 hours ago, acromegaman said:

Tennessee is an awesome state but It is known for its terrible drivers ( not kidding). Lol. It was great meeting you Carl and even though I had to get up early the next morning I really regret not going out with everyone after the event. Definitely next time.

LOL  Yeah it would have been cool, but hopefully another time.  I definitely want to go back to Kentucky/TN, hopefully longer than a day-and-a-half.  Maybe with the family.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, bencrush said:

Great write-up, Carl!  Your performance looks very solid. 

Thanks Ben!  

• Like 1

Carl, it was great to meet you! Your horseshoe bend was impressive.  Especially after the long day.  It was also fun getting great advise on grip and bending from you.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donc101 said:

Carl, it was great to meet you! Your horseshoe bend was impressive.  Especially after the long day.  It was also fun getting great advise on grip and bending from you.  

Thanks man!  Awesome meeting you too.  You put up some really strong numbers!  Just keep doing what you're doing and the Red cert will happen soon.

• Like 1