Under the Radar - Grip Profile - Anton Torrella

anwnate

Today's profile features Anton Torrella.

It is my profound pleasure to introduce Anton to the Grip World and beyond. 

I've always promoted the idea that we who love Gripsport so much, have a very real obligation to "spread the word," and introduce others to the sport whenever possible.  Some seem interested…but aren't, some ARE interested…but quickly lose interest…but then there are those special people who maintain interest, and even excel.  These people are those the introducer feels a Grip-based paternal pride for.  This definitely is the case with me in regards to Anton. 

Perhaps I should backtrack at bit…

For many years, my father had said I would make a good locksmith.  After he passed away, I decided to follow up on his advice and found myself outside a locksmith school in the early morning…waiting for the school to open.  I turned at a greeting and saw a energetic youth (20's) decked out in leather, chains, boots and nearly waist length dark hair pulled back into a ponytail.  This did not distress me as much as the palpable energy emanating from this excited kid.  He talked like a native New Yorker, which generally means quickly and accented.  He seemed very friendly…too friendly.  I immediately did not like this "Anton" character.

Fast forward at least several weeks into the school, it became apparent that he and I were the only students that could form complete sentences, let alone become competent locksmiths. Pretty much won over at this point, I suggested we sit at the same worktable.  Anton was obliging… and a great friendship was born.

As it turned out…4 months of coursework was going to be stretched out over 11 months.  This provided an enormous amount of time to become proficient…and also to form a strong bond over the ridiculousness we faced daily.  Eventually, Anton would drop by after class for lunch, followed by the occasional whiskey.  He and his girlfriend (now wife) became regulars at our events (bbq's etc).  A learned man, Anton would get into many conversations of history that left me way behind.  His capacity for joy in life is only matched by his capacity for learning.  Even after getting my Locksmithing license, I still look at my friendship with Anton as the most valuable thing I gained from the class.

A true friend and a savage Gripster, few in Gripsport can match his intensity at a competition.  When hit with adversity, instead of losing interest in Grip, he doubled down on it.  He went from missing a #1 to closing a #3, a 60d to an Iron Mind Red Nail …and most recently a Red to the FBBC Shiny.  His natural optimism in life carried directly over to Grip and Bending.  Watching Anton bend his first 60d was one my favorite moments since starting Grip.  He literally started shaking.  His eyes bulged in disbelief and he kept looking at his hands like "how did I do that?"  It's safe to say he was hooked on bending since then.

From watching "Bending Steel" with the "Chris's", to attending Anton's wedding, to training and competing in Grip, I've spent a great deal of time with this "kid."  I still look back and smile when I think of the day I decided I couldn't stand the man who would someday become one of my greatest friends.

Without further ado…

anton outline.png

7 Questions to get to know Anton.

1.  What are your stats?  Gripboard Name, Age, Height (inches/meters), Weight (lbs/kgs), R/L dominant hand size (cm/in), Country/City (or region … whatever you are comfortable with), Relationship Status, Kids?, Occupation ("international spy" is acceptable) 

GripBoard name:  Anton. Torrella

Height:  5'10" (177.8cm)

Weight:  225lbs (102kgs)

Hand Size:  Both 7.5" (19cm)

Location: Born, raised, and still reside in beautiful New York City; Manhattan, Maspeth and Astoria, Queens in that order.

Relationship: I’m married to my lovely wife Melissa and don’t have any kids yet but look forward to having some.

Occupation:  I’m a licensed locksmith and have also worked in the hardware business for about 11 years.

2.  Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)? 

All credit to my introduction, as well as to the majority of my progress and influence in the world of grip training, goes to my brotha-from-anotha-motha Nathaniel Brous, an outstanding human who's enriched my life in countless ways and who I have the privilege of calling my friend.

So after that lovely shout-out….

In 2011, Nate told me about these Captains of Crush grippers he got, how he was progressing on them and how he discovered this whole grip strength subculture. I remember being at the Bronx Zoo with him one day talking about grippers and figured maybe if I got good enough they’d be willing to give me a cage in the corner labeled “Grip Beast” and let me live in there for a full time job. So of course I was intrigued and wanted to try out my grip strength too cuz who on earth wouldn’t?  Nate gave me his filed down CoC#1, which I couldn’t close, and told me to join the "Forum of Might" known as the GripBoard.

The other memorable starting point is again at the hands of Nate when he got me to try…and successfully bend my first 60d nail in his basement (credit also goes to John Manna and Chez for being there to yell support at me). It was really the first feat of strength I ever did that blew me away.  I bent a piece of steel in my hands with a little piece of canvas!  Everyone has that first time bending steel and I think it changes them (in a good way). The impossible is now possible.

3.  Before you die, what is your ULTIMATE grip goal/goals? 

COMPLETE THE RED NAIL CERT.  I’ve been chasing this cert for years and have struggled with technique, strength, continuity of training, and then this past September getting new harder steel I’ve never touched before at my cert and failing. I plan to be ultra prepared to bend whatever the hell comes outta the mail (painted red steel) this time and hopefully be the first name on the Red Roster in 2017.

My ultimate goal before I die is to bend the Iron Mind Gold Nail. I’m a long, long way off, but it is that epic ultimate steel bending goal.  Also…I'd like to close a CoC 4 – Gotta aim big!

4.  How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training? 

Currently -

Mondays:  Dumbbell bench press followed by block weights; mini-blobs, hex blocks, and/or inverted hex dumbbell lifts

Tuesdays:  Axle squats and grippers

Thursdays:  Standing dumbbell shoulder press and one hand dumbbell deadlifts with 2” fatgripz and 3” ironbull handle extensions

Saturdays:  I usually get a bunch of guys to work out and start with double overhand 7” steel bending in IMPs followed by whatever everyone wants to do

DO and/or one hand axle deadlifts, flask, mk2 tip tester, 2.5” crusher, nail lever point, zottman curls, rope axle wrist rollers, farmers walks, pull ups with 2” and 3” extensions, stirrup, wrist wrench, sledge hammer levers, hub, 2” V bar, plate pinch, loadable inch replica, horseshoe bending, card tearing, or anything else that looks fun

I’ve been making solid progress in all my training overall in the past few months doing this grip medley once a week and feel the variety is good for me right now. Also you can’t beat the camaraderie!

5.  What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

I love long walks on the beach, reading poetry, and…extreme death metal – I’m a life-long lover of music; thrash, speed, death, and black metal, also classical, opera, jazz, bluegrass, and rock n’ roll.

I love history and have a bachelor’s degree with a double major in classical studies/Latin and European history.  I wanted to be a teacher originally.

I’m also a big fan of food and drink.  Tasty beer is a mainstay of our workouts.

6.  Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

Striving to train and better myself in steel bending and grip sport has proven a very beneficial part of my life. Its improved me physically and mentally and has provided a very positive outlet for the ton of stress I experience in life.

Everyone I’ve met through Gripsport has been exceptional – whether they’re one of my favorite people or not, I have never met a boring person who is into Gripsport.

I am a people person and the overwhelming majority of people I’ve met into grip have been driven, supportive, positive, generous, and very human. I’ve heard others say it before and I agree that I’ve never encountered a group of people on whole that are finer than those tough souls who train grip.

Meet people, go to comps, get together with whoever you can find that share your interest, tell tales of your struggle and be inspired by the work of others. The social impact can’t be understated.

7.  Who's Grip profile would you like to see next?

I’m calling on another member of our Queens county grip warriors – Mike Rabich!

Thanks Anton.  Michael Rabich has agreed and will be profiled soon.

• Like 10

Absolutely one of my favorite characters not just in the grip world but of all time !! Also my partner for CT's strongest team, although we  might die from laughter before the event is over. Another great profile !!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Anton is a rare breed of unbelievably stubborn and strong. Never known anyone else to make the constant progress hes made in multiple disciplines of grip strength.  But above all else hes an awesome guy. We got ourselves a hell of a bunch in NYC!

• Like 2

Thank you Jose! You guys help bring it out in me - couldn't ask for a better group to train with and damn right we're getting stronger by the day! Many more good times to come!

• Like 1