Quest to close the Frankenstein 8mm

Paul Markowski

This post/log discussion will keep me both motivated and honest as I set out to close the Silvis 8mm Frankenstein gripper.

Method: total of 10 sets (single rep each) of a 5-second hold with the gripper handles preset at my current strength/working depth.  I need to be able to either keep those handles tightly shut for the 5 seconds or at the very least, have those handles within a paper's width of staying shut.  The end goal for each of these segments is to (at some point) attempt to fully close the gripper at the same handle depth as I am currently using for my holds.  Once I do close the gripper fully, I then move the handles a little further up the spring towards the top of the U-spring.

Current strength level for a full close: handles at 2" from the top of U-Spring

Latest News

Last night, handles were set at 1.875" from the top of the spring.....10 sets were performed (all holds)....went very well...can keep handles within a paper's width of handles being fully shut....need to concentrate now on mashing those handles together and keeping them shut!

Notes:  this method of training has worked for me in the past...hope it works again!!

Frankenstein.png

• Like 1

All the best on your strength journey.

Crush that thing to dust!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GripAustria said:

All the best on your strength journey.

Crush that thing to dust!!

Thanks Brother!

If you're gonna do holds, then why not strap holds? Use as thin of a strap as you can find and increase the weight over time. I remember reading that tommy heslep would use up to 35 lbs with a Coc3 while training to close the 4. 

I don't do strap holds much anymore, but they are a pretty accurate way of letting you know if the handles are closed or not. If the weight drops the handles aren't closed. 

• Like 2

From experience i can tell you strapholds works very well. 

Worth a try. 

• Like 1

Tonight, I tried to fully close the Frankenstein 8mm with handles at 1.875" from the top of the spring (for my first set as a challenge)....I am pretty sure that the handles did touch as I heard an audible "click" but because I am not 100% sure, it goes down in the books as a miss.  I then did 9 sets of single,  5 second holds with the handles at 1.75".  Went very well....kind of man-handled the first few sets....should be able to officially close the Frankenstein at 1.875" by next workout...then, onto mastering it at 1.75".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Markowski said:

Tonight, I tried to fully close the Frankenstein 8mm with handles at 1.875" from the top of the spring (for my first set as a challenge)....I am pretty sure that the handles did touch as I heard an audible "click" but because I am not 100% sure, it goes down in the books as a miss.  I then did 9 sets of single,  5 second holds with the handles at 1.75".  Went very well....kind of man-handled the first few sets....should be able to officially close the Frankenstein at 1.875" by next workout...then, onto mastering it at 1.75".

Thats the right attidude. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WestSlope said:

I like what you are doing here with the progressive loading of your gripper. You might start learning how to video your closes. I found it harder than expected!

Yes...I have successfully videotaped a few of my closes but it is hit and miss....

I also found that I do much better (because I have no distractions) when I know I am NOT on video....I think that is because when I know that I am taping a close, in the back of my mind I am thinking of being in the perfect spot for the camera and to not move my hands down too far or I will be off camera, etc. ...however, when I am just closing grippers without a care for any cameras, I always concentrate more which also leads to more success.  The best would be to have another person video taping it for me so I can just concentrate on the close instead of angles, etc.

5 hours ago, WestSlope said:

I like what you are doing here with the progressive loading of your gripper

That is exactly why I consider the Silvis Frankenstein gripper the ultimate gripper!!

By being able to move the handles ever so slightly up or down the spring, allows you to make a gripper closing attempt ever so slightly tougher or easier...as long as you keep very accurate records, this method is very attractive for any grip-person....in addition, at times I also use the beyond-the-range thick handle to challenge myself even more....that extended handle comes into play at this point in my training as I am doing mainly "holds" for up to 10 sets per workout!  Having the leverage that the extended handle offers makes this type of radical training much more efficient.

• Like 1

Decided tonight to start working holds at the maximum setting with the Frankenstein Gripper (handles at 1.5" from top of U-spring).  Did a total of 10 sets (single reps) at this distance.  Cannot as of yet totally hold those handles shut during the 5-second holds BUT will get better with time.  Figure I will attack my hands very aggressively at this point....then, when I am ready for another attempt at a full rep (at 1.875"), I figure it should feel rather easy (both physically and psychologically). 

New Record Set!!

Decided to go for a new personal best full rep with the Frankenstein prior to performing my regular Frankenstein "holds".  Was able to close the gripper at 1.875" (that is the handle tops are 1.875" from the top of the U-Spring).  Felt very easy....then tried it at 1.75".....no way...failed.  See video here>>>>....01.18.17 Frankenstein close at 1.875 inches.MOV

Edited by Paul Markowski
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, WestSlope said:

Nice! Do you have any thoughts on a rough rating for the 1.875" setting?

I am guessing about a tough COC #2.5 maybe..............

• 3 weeks later...

Did a solo attempt to close the Frankenstein at 1.75" from top of spring....very close once again but a no-go.......followed that up with four sets of 5-second holds at that same distance (1.75").  Felt very strong!!!

On 2/5/2017 at 7:14 AM, bencrush said:

Nice progressive work Paul! 

Thanks brother!

I find the Frankenstein frustrating because the resistance ramps up so fast. But it feels safer to go full steam into it, compared to a choked gripper.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2017 at 11:18 PM, wobbler said:

I find the Frankenstein frustrating because the resistance ramps up so fast. But it feels safer to go full steam into it, compared to a choked gripper.

I agree 100%......it is a great feeling knowing that the gripper is already at parallel so you don't have to even think about getting "The Set" which on many occasions, killed my attempt.  However, as you said, it can be frustrating in that even a small increment closer to that spring, will cause a huge resistance difference.....I love the gripper though!!!

As I work towards closing the Frankenstein at 1.75" (with my dominant hand), I still do some pretty good work with my off-hand....case in point was today as my off-hand was able to officially close the Heavy Grip 250 for the very first time!!  I used an MM set.  Felt pretty strong.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After a Frankenstein gripper workout, decided to try the RB 210 with my dominant hand.....was able to finally close it.  Was not a "strong" close (like when you just mash the handles together)....there was no audible "click" but once I squeezed it to my limit, I actually visually verified that the handles were indeed touching.....next non-Frankenstein gripper to close for me is the GHP #6.

• Like 1

Just for conversation, what was your max before starting work on the Frankenstein? RB210s seem to fall in the 120s, at least, the 2 I have do. If so, you should have a solid shot at that ghp6. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Paul Markowski said:

After a Frankenstein gripper workout, decided to try the RB 210 with my dominant hand.....was able to finally close it.  Was not a "strong" close (like when you just mash the handles together)....there was no audible "click" but once I squeezed it to my limit, I actually visually verified that the handles were indeed touching.....next non-Frankenstein gripper to close for me is the GHP #6.

Congrats on the pr dude

• Like 1

On 2/24/2017 at 6:05 AM, Adam Juncker said:

Just for conversation, what was your max before starting work on the Frankenstein? RB210s seem to fall in the 120s, at least, the 2 I have do. If so, you should have a solid shot at that ghp6. 

Before the Frankenstein work, my best was the Heavy Grip 250......interesting how you mention having a shot at the GHP #6...in another post a week ago, I did manage that GHP 6 close.  

Today I completed the most taxing grip workout for me ever!  I did a total of 6 sets of 5-second holds with the Frankenstein 8mm at maximum toughness and the Lil' Monster Gripper.  Did 2 sets with the Frankenstein....4 with the Lil' Monster.....like Kinney said years back, using a super tough gripper (like the Monster) helps you both physically and mentally.....physically it makes you stronger of course but for me, that Monster Gripper also makes the Frankenstein 8mm appear to be child's play...comparing both grippers side by side makes one appreciate the super toughness of the Monster. So, after doing 1 opening set (5-second hold) with the Frankenstein, I did 4 straight sets with the Monster...that set up my final set with the much easier Frankenstein....now that final set did indeed feel so much easier (all psychological).  All sets were done in a power rack for extra leverage.

Great workout overall!!!!

After completing a single hold on the Frankenstein gripper, followed by 3 attempts of 5-second holds on the Lil' Monster gripper, I decided to try (for the first time) to get a strong Mash Monster "set" on the GHP #7.  To my astonishment, it felt easy....I was able to "set" the gripper in a way that I would have confidence in attempting a true close of the gripper.  As a matter of fact, after I "set" the gripper, I was tempted to give it a shot!!...but decided not too.  

I think the tough radical training I have been doing on the Frankenstein and Lil' Monster Grippers is finally paying off.

Edited by Paul Markowski
  • Like 2

Today, I closed the COC 2.5 gripper (Dominant Hand) to finally set myself up for my official entry into, what I call, "The Road to Training with my Elite-10 Grippers".  My collection of the "Elite-10" includes:

• Heavy Grip 300
  • GHP 7
  • COC 3
  • Silvis Monster Hunter 5-Star
  • Heavy Grip 350
  • COC 3.5
  • COC 4
  • GHP 10
  • Frankenstein 8mm
  • Joe Kinney's Lil' Monster

Of course, I have a ways to go before I can say that I have been successful in this realm...some of you guys have already closed many of these grippers but for me, it felt great to finally knock at the door of the GHP 7/ COC 3 grippers!!  

Today, I once again concentrated on using both my body weight and the Power Rack to get the Lil' Monster leveraged into a superior position so I could do 5-second holds with my dominant hand.......meanwhile, Off Hand was able to get some good holds on the Frankenstein 8mm.

Will keep you posted on my progress.

• Like 3