Quest to close a #3 but new year 2017

strongkeith

G'day lads, here to start a training log after year off from lifting, off from my normal lifting routine im back into grip training again and with a goal to close a #3, have recently ordered a trainer, 1, 1.5  my goal is to conquer the #2 in 6 months and smash the #3 by the end of the year, possibly unrealistic goals but if i do it then what an achievement. 

This is the routine  which includes pinch grip with plate pinches.

Monday/wed/friday

Light gripper, 10 reps+, 2 sets, medium gripper, 5-8 reps x2 sets, heavy gripper 1-3 reps x2 sets, finish with 2x negs.

finish with sledge hammer levers (not sure about this exercise would like some input)

then on the off days just some general hand health such as finger extensions with rubber bands and squash ball squeezing.

This workout isnt my own idea its just one ive come across but makes sense but before i start i would appreciate if someone can critique it and offer any advice or even an alternative if you think there might be a better workout to achieve my goals. 

I also have a split lifting routine that im following:

Day 1

Squats 
Lat pulldown
Barbell rows 

Bicep Curls

Seated row

day 2

Bench Press 
Dips 
Incline Flys
Military press
Skulls 

Deadlift

not alot of volume for the first few months then i usually split my routines into muscle specific groups and add more volume

Edited by strongkeith

Will be following along as well! My goal this year is to certify on the COC3, so we can keep each other motivated if need be!

I don't think your goals are unrealistic, with some hard work and determination, you'll get that 3 closed this year.

What's your current level of crushing grip like?

8 hours ago, pburke23 said:

Will be following along as well! My goal this year is to certify on the COC3, so we can keep each other motivated if need be!

I don't think your goals are unrealistic, with some hard work and determination, you'll get that 3 closed this year.

What's your current level of crushing grip like?

thanks mate,i dont think its unrealistic either, the only thing that will fail me is lack of motivation and continuous training. In terms of where I am at in my crushing grip im hoping around #1 atleast but i wont know till my cOc's arrive, i ordered a trainer, #1 and #1.5 to get me back into it, i'll order a #2, #2.5 and #3 in the upcoming weeks. But tbh i feel weak at the moment in my hands so i know i've got alot of work ahead of me

• 2 weeks later...

Well today i finally recieved my grippers after them being on backorder. 

Trainer: can rep out 6-7 reps

#1: can just get a close with both hands

#1.5: about 10mm out from a full close

didnt feel right in the hands so i think working on my positioning in hand i might be able to get a bit better numbers 

now i have a starting point!

• Like 3

On 1/23/2017 at 7:58 PM, bencrush said:

Good luck with your cert goal!  'Tis a noble goal.:D

Thanks mate, cringing at the moment that i cant even close a #1.5 man i got some work ahead of me haha

On another not, had my first grip workout tonight, 1st stupid mistake, i didnt have any chalk but i still got through it

done 5 working sets of 5-10reps with the working training

done 3 set of 1-3 with the #1

and done a final 2 sets with the #1.5 squeezing it close with both hands and holding it closed as long as possible which tbh wasnt even able to hold it closed. Hands feel like that had a good workout forearms feel like that got a decent pump, i'll give it a day or two see how my hands feel, not really relying on "must work grip every monday-wed-friday" but more going off how i feel, i feel like i can do more gripper work in a day off i'll do more if 3 days in and my hands still feel tired then i'll wait. 

Feeling the best i've felt in a long time since ive been lifting this past week and 1/2 and now with gripper training im feeling awesome

• Like 1

another day of grip, my girly hands at the moment are what is holding me back as is the lack of chalk (waiting from ebay) but still managed a grip workout non the less, 

Trainer: 6 sets, reps as per left and right

left    Right
      12       8
      10      10
       7         7
      12     12
       9        8
       8        8

#1: 3 sets of 2 reps, both hands can get 1 close, second rep is just off

#1.5: 3 sets of attempted close each hand followed by negative only achieved about 3-4 seconds 

End Week 1

• Like 1

got another in tonight, hands just felt good so i went for it, plus my intensity is only mild at the moment, i'll start picking it up more next week

L   R
16  19
16  16
16  15
14   16
15   17

#1: 3 sets left, 2,2,1 right 2,2,2

#1.5 Negatives for about 6-10 seconds, 3 sets

then finished with the trainer by putting it on the table picking it up with 1 hand and closing it,

got 7 closes each hand for 1set, 2nd and 3rd sets i got 6 each hand

getting something similar to a pops grip machine made up for me (live in australia would cost over $500 to get one to aus) so will start incorporating other grip tools into my training as im relying on just grippers at the moment in terms of grip training while i wait for things like fat bars and having my pops grip machine made up for me.

sat up for the last few hours watching some cOc gripper vids of people setting them ect, really noticed that not only does strength come into play but technique does too, played around with the gripper in hand and found my sweet spot, ive been holding them in line with the middle of my little finger but that had been causing me to slip always, thought i was  due to sweaty hands but after watching some youtube vids i moved it up a little literally 1cm and  it dug in my palm alot better causing me no slip and allowed me to close to #1.5 :rock end of feb i reckon i will be doing reps with the 1.5 

Edited by strongkeith
  • Like 2

Training feeling good as usual

Trainer:

Doing closes from full open 

6 sets each hand

Left           Right

16-20        16-20

didnt write down each set but these are now just normal warm ups

4 sets closing from full open each hand

Left     Right

reps

3           4

3           3

2           3

2           2

#1.5

3 sets of credit card closes

Left                                Right

reps

2                                       3

1 and 2 partial                  2

1 and 2 partial                  2 and 1 partial

then finished with some negative holds with the 1.5 for time till failure

Also have some new grip toys to train with which i will hook into next week, pics of those to come when i pick them :D

Edited by strongkeith
  • Like 1

You're already making great progress!  You are now CCS closing the #1.5 for multiple singles and couldn't even close it once on January 24th. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bencrush said:

You're already making great progress!  You are now CCS closing the #1.5 for multiple singles and couldn't even close it once on January 24th. 

Thanks mate hands are just feeling great at the moment im looking forward to 6 months in.

Great progress dude. I always say the key to gripper training is consistency and effort. Grinding out small goals leads to big progress. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chez said:

Great progress dude. I always say the key to gripper training is consistency and effort. Grinding out small goals leads to big progress. 

Cheers mate, smalls goals is a great way to go and im glad that they have available the .5 increment grippers as i feel if i was going from a #1 straight to a #2 my progress would be much slower

On 1/28/2017 at 11:36 AM, strongkeith said:

sat up for the last few hours watching some cOc gripper vids of people setting them ect, really noticed that not only does strength come into play but technique does too, played around with the gripper in hand and found my sweet spot, ive been holding them in line with the middle of my little finger but that had been causing me to slip always, thought i was  due to sweaty hands but after watching some youtube vids i moved it up a little literally 1cm and  it dug in my palm alot better causing me no slip and allowed me to close to #1.5 :rock end of feb i reckon i will be doing reps with the 1.5 

Congrats on the Pr

8 hours ago, Forever said:

Congrats on the Pr

cheers mate highly appreciated

Had a really tiring day atop with some brutal heat but managed a grip workout tonight, wasnt feeling it that much but did my usuals with the trainer 

got 5 closes each hand with the #1 for reps (from full open to close)

managed to get 3 closes with the #1.5 from full open with my right hand and 2 from full open with the left for 2 sets.

Finished with doing negatives (holding closed for time) started with the 1.5 then when i failed awith that grabbed the #1, kept going to full fail then finished with the trainer.

Next week will be ordering a #2 and #2.5 lets hope i can crush those in 2-3 months and smash the #3 by mid year.

Edited by strongkeith

7 hours ago, pburke23 said:

Nice work man! Get some video up of your first attempt at the #2 when you get it, would love to see it!

Will do mate gonna take a few weeks before i get em.......cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Back after 10 days off, hands really took a beating last workout and had to give a bit of time off but tonight went like this

Trainer: 20 reps per hand

#1: 3 set 5 reps per hand, full open to close failed to get 5 last set with left hand

#1.5 3 sets from full open to close, left hand got 4,3,3 right hand 5,3,3

then finished with 2 rounds of holding closed each gripper to failure per hand which i really felt in the forearms which feels awesome haha

Still need to order a #2 and #2.5 when i have some spare cash so hopefully next week but confident i might close the #2 on first attempt

Edited by strongkeith
  • Like 1