2017 Goals

Paul Markowski

TNS close CoC #2

MMS close Coc #2,5

strictly restrict pinch and gripper training to once a week

On 12/31/2016 at 11:15 AM, Justin Matney said:

MM1

non grip-

Get my blood pressure and blood sugar under control. This will involve a serious permanent change in my eating habits. Already making better choices but it's not enough.

Finish rewiring my house. New service wire, disconnect, new breaker box, and most of the downstairs is done. Just gotta finish the upstairs and run 220 out to the garage. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Justin Matney said:

non grip-

Get my blood pressure and blood sugar under control. This will involve a serious permanent change in my eating habits. Already making better choices but it's not enough.

Finish rewiring my house. New service wire, disconnect, new breaker box, and most of the downstairs is done. Just gotta finish the upstairs and run 220 out to the garage. 

Justin - my doc told me to increase my potassium and magnesium so I did.  BP came right down and has stayed down - might be worth a try.

• Like 2

My goals are to close the GHP5 and venture further into grip training, and to be able to perform two pistols on each leg.

Edited by JD Murray

• 2 weeks later...

Non-Bending:

1. Stay injury free.

2. Back Squat 200kg.

3. Bench 150kg.

4. Strict Press 100kg.

5. Pavel's Sinster Routine with 48kg KB.

6. Tame the Beast.

Bending:

1. FBBC KOAB

2. FBBC The Monster Square

3. Kerckhaert DF 22x8 #3 

Good luck to everyone with their 2017 goals. I'm looking forward to seeing some amazing strength feats on the gripboard this year!!

Same as 2106, 2015, 2014..........

• 4 months later...

Bumping this thread. Over halfway mark on the year and I was thinking about these goals (forgot one of them lol) Hope everyone's training is going well and you're healthy. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Durrs said:

Bumping this thread. Over halfway mark on the year and I was thinking about these goals (forgot one of them lol) Hope everyone's training is going well and you're healthy. 

Great idea. Here is my progress which I'm really happy about:

1) deadlift 500 lbs - deadlift training is going great. I haven't maxed but I'm sure I am in the 455 - 475 range. This weekend I will be using 420 on my last set so I will have a better idea.

2) certify on the MM7 and COC #3.5 grippers - my crush strength is at all time time high. I just closed my 194 super elite with a 30mm block set so I'm close to certing both those grippers

3) return from injury to grip comps - going to SJ4 7/15 and my room is booked and I can't wait. Finally 100% healthy 

• Like 6

Great job @Chez, also a cool idea for the update. My goals haven't been going so smoothly, but after some injuries and set backs things are starting to improve again:

• Squat at least 200kg - hit 150kg x 10 recently (had a few left in the tank) so this is going in the right direction, but still a way off my goal.
  • Deadlift 600lbs - have hit 518lbs x 10 yesterday, so this is looking promising for the next couple of months.
  • MMS CoC #3.5 - had one close miss, but haven't really concentrated on grippers too much so far.
  • Snatch 100kg - hit 90kg but injured my achilles in Feb and haven't been able to do Oly lifting since then, am working hard on the rehab.
  • Clean and jerk 140kg - hit 130kg, see above.
  • Chin up with 80kg - most recent session was 47kg x 5, I think 55kg x 5 is achievable in the next couple of months (have done 50kg for 2 x 5 in the past), which should get me over 70kg for a single.
  • Continue to improve all around mobility - this is going well, I feel more limber than I can remember.
Edited by patrickmeniru
  • Like 2

None of my listed goals are going to happen.

im ok with that. Training took a different direction and i all but eliminated strongman stuff and due to my shoulders many of my pressing goals just aren't applicable anymore.

What I'm looking to accomplish this year

physical:

MM1 and 2

Lift the Blob

170 on the 2.5" crusher

1hp Flask 80

2hp Flask 200

pinch 55 lbs at 5+"

Mental:

not focus on my physical limitations and injuries

not focus on what others are doing:

People like tanner merkle piss me off.  I work my ass off and the dude murders shit never touching it before. Its not a big deal to some, but it puts into question why I even bother.  So i need to focus on me and just doing what i can.

beat depression.

A lot of my issues stem from severe depression which directly effects my physical game and online interactions. I dont make friends because of this and the side effects of it resonate.  

3 hours ago, patrickmeniru said:

Great job @Chez, also a cool idea for the update. My goals haven't been going so smoothly, but after some injuries and set backs things are starting to improve again:

• Squat at least 200kg - hit 150kg x 10 recently (had a few left in the tank) so this is going in the right direction, but still a way off my goal.
  • Deadlift 600lbs - have hit 518lbs x 10 yesterday, so this is looking promising for the next couple of months.
  • MMS CoC #3.5 - had one close miss, but haven't really concentrated on grippers too much so far.
  • Snatch 100kg - hit 90kg but injured my achilles in Feb and haven't been able to do Oly lifting since then, am working hard on the rehab.
  • Chin up with 80kg - most recent session was 47kg x 5, I think 55kg x 5 is achievable in the next couple of months (have done 50kg for 2 x 5 in the past), which should get me over 70kg for a single.
  • Continue to improve all around mobility - this is going well, I feel more limber than I can remember.

Impressive stuff Pat. Great work. Keep killing it. 

10 minutes ago, KapMan said:

not focus on what others are doing

This is definitely difficult. I had to deal with it in the past. I have had my share of injuries. I always tell myself that the small gains over time will add up if I stay consistent and dedicated. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KapMan said:

None of my listed goals are going to happen.

im ok with that. Training took a different direction and i all but eliminated strongman stuff and due to my shoulders many of my pressing goals just aren't applicable anymore.

What I'm looking to accomplish this year

physical:

MM1 and 2

Lift the Blob

170 on the 2.5" crusher

1hp Flask 80

2hp Flask 200

pinch 55 lbs at 5+"

Mental:

not focus on what others are doing:

People like tanner merkle piss me off.  I work my ass off and the dude murders shit never touching it before. Its not a big deal to some, but it puts into question why I even bother.  So i need to focus on me and just doing what i can.

beat depression.

A lot of my issues stem from severe depression which directly effects my physical game and online interactions. I dont make friends because of this and the side effects of it resonate.  

From what I've seen you do, I think you've set some good goals. You've been making remarkable progress lately, dude. I think you will get there and meet those goals. Just remember that progress isn't linear, you will have bad weeks and plateaus, so you gotta step back and look at the big picture which will look more like this (ignore the graph labels, lol):
Image result for line chart

And we hear the mantra of "the only person you should compare yourself to is the person you were yesterday", but I get that it's hard not to get competitive with others if you're already a competitive person. I don't have the answer on how to do it, but I know that I have been happiest when I wasn't worried about beating people at stuff, so I try to stay in that mindset when I can and just focus on enjoying what I'm doing.

PS. Tanner has been climbing for 12 years, which is basically grip training. There's only a few people on this board that have more grip experience than him and they're basically dinosaurs.

• Like 4

PS. Tanner has been climbing for 12 years, which is basically grip training. There's only a few people on this board that have more grip experience than him and they're basically dinosaurs.

Yep - dinosaur - that me.  People who haven't climbed have no idea how intense it can be on the fingers and forearms.  If you train your thumbs you end up with a huge "base" strength that will take you pretty far in this game.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2016 at 7:14 PM, wobbler said:

Red nail in imps and rubber bands

45 plate hub + 10 lbs both hands

Be able to tear a deck of bicycle cards

Get stronger with a bunch of other stuff

1) wobbled one, taking a breather from bending, may get back to it soon. Been tearing cards and they way both of those things beat up your fingers, kinda have to pick one.

2) 45 + 7.5 but haven't been focusing on hub at all

3) Working on it, best is 41 cards left by the time I flake a bunch off because they're slippery, but haven't tried bicycles in a few weeks. Can consistently quarter easy no name decks in less than 2 minutes now.

4) Working on pinch

So in pretty good shape I think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, climber511 said:

Yep - dinosaur - that me.  People who haven't climbed have no idea how intense it can be on the fingers and forearms.  IF YOU TRAIN YOUR THUMBS you end up with a huge "base" strength that will take you pretty far in this game.

All roads of grip lead back to this.

which is why ive been trying to hit them hard with my pony clip. Took me long enough to identify the issue. But slowly since doing pony clip crushes 2x a week ive noticed my grip game has increased. Getting closer to lifting the half 95 hex and the 53lb fatman is starting to drag alot easier.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Squeezus said:

From what I've seen you do, I think you've set some good goals. You've been making remarkable progress lately, dude. I think you will get there and meet those goals. Just remember that progress isn't linear, you will have bad weeks and plateaus, so you gotta step back and look at the big picture which will look more like this (ignore the graph labels, lol):
Image result for line chart

And we hear the mantra of "the only person you should compare yourself to is the person you were yesterday", but I get that it's hard not to get competitive with others if you're already a competitive person. I don't have the answer on how to do it, but I know that I have been happiest when I wasn't worried about beating people at stuff, so I try to stay in that mindset when I can and just focus on enjoying what I'm doing.

Being competitive is a fault of mine, especailly now that i live in a very black and white world. 

Which is why i added a mental goal. If your mind aint right you arent going anywhere. I can be hungry without being a self loathing turd. 

Ive had to take a step back and really evaluate whats going on. Fix the weak links and remind myself that this stuff takes time. Im not genetically gifted nor am i physically/mentally healthy. 

Thank you broham

• Like 2

I got my red nail, bastard, shiny bastard, and mm0 certs, lifted 300 DO on my sorinex axle in two separate training sessions, and last week lifted 77lbs a few inches off the floor on Anthony's super-well textured flask for the first time - my 2.5" crusher is stuck at 135lbs for one right and left but honestly I haven't trained it as diligently as I could have and so far I've only managed to wobble the hexabastard in IMPs - it really hurts! Hah -  I will get them both though! Not bad for the 2017 half way mark! Good luck everyone staying positive, injury free, and completing their goals!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I cant say im any closer to my 1 grip goal this year than i was when i first posted.

training might actually help. Lol

i guess i should start

You should be well recovered :)

• 4 months later...
On 6/16/2017 at 10:31 AM, patrickmeniru said:

Thought I'd update this and find out how everyone else is getting along with their 2017 goals as we get close to the end of the year.

• Squat - I just hit 205kg, so happy to tick this one off, things that helped me were quitting deadlift for a while to just focus on squatting three times a week and getting onto a programme to keep me accountable and motivated (Russian Squat programme). Video below.
  • Deadlift - hit 600lbs right at the start of September, which was great. Haven't deadlifted since, partly to give my body a break and partly to focus on squatting. Video below.
  • MMS COC 3.5 - have barely touched my grippers due to persistent elbow pain from squatting and climbing, hoping to sort this out so I can attach this next year.
  • Snatch and C&J - achilles is still recovering, am just starting to be able to do these movements again.
  • Chin up - hit 70kg for a rather disappointing PR after managing 63kg x 4 in the build up to that session. Haven't done heavy weighted chins since September because of my elbows, again, something I want to pick up next year.
  • Mobility - still improving, really happy with this. I managed a straddle front lever for the first time ever last week, despite not training it at all for months and weighing a few more kilos than usual, I'm sure this isn't down to an increase in pulling strength, so I think it's because I can hold a better straddle position, making the hold easier. Pic of bridge below for illustration of where I'm at in that position (could not previously even get into a bridge, even with bent arms).

Edited by patrickmeniru
  • Like 2

You’re a beast Patrick! Master of both strength and bodyweight movements!

20 hours ago, David_wigren said:

You’re a beast Patrick! Master of both strength and bodyweight movements!

Haha, thanks David. I've been enjoying your instagram posts. I'll have to give the pole work a try some time, looks like a lot of fun (but probably also a lot harder than it looks!).

On 12/30/2016 at 5:50 PM, Alawadhi said:

2017 strength goals

Being healthier overall Done

Having better wrist as I still have wrist pain when thick bar and grippers. Pinch is the best for me. Best part is I got rid of the cast. Improving

To double lift my Fatman blob I got from Paul Knight (i can lift it to little above knee level now). Almost

To lift my 68kg inch Not yet

To lift 100kg on the flask (can do 90kg now) Not yet

Close the 3 again easily. Done

To have good air under my heavygriptools 30kg monster blob. Not yet

And enjoy everything else.  Done :cool

Answers above in RED

• Like 3

2017 Goals

Primary goals are all oriented towards climbing and moving better for 2017.

·       Bodyweight to 180# - currently 191 to 193# - down from 208# a couple years ago

·       Not even close – still sitting around 191 to 193

·       Eat better – especially night time snacks!

·       Doing pretty well but still eating too much at night

·       Keep my A Fib and Blood Pressure under control – good right now (fingers crossed).  Pretty much outside on my control but maybe the healthier I am the better this will be as well.  Seems like the only time I get high BP is right after a spell of A Fib – seems to last a couple months and then return to normal. 

·       No A fib spells all year so happy here

·       Eliminate as much of my fairly constant pain as possible.

·       Epic fail as I developed Trigeminal Neuralgia which is pain at it’s worst

·       Be consistent leading any 5.10 limestone sport routes when I go to Greece climbing in the fall

·       Had a fantastic climbing trip to Greece – climbed well

·       Do the least amount of heavy lifting I can get away with and not lose lifting strength beyond set goal numbers (not set yet).

·       The face pain and the climbing goals meant I lost a ton of strength – but not the way I had wanted things to work out

·       Meet my aerobic goal numbers.  These will be Concept 2 test numbers for different distances.  Basically top 10 in 500 – 1000 – and 2000 meters – maybe best 500 period for my age.

·       Somehow managed to pull times good enough to meet all three distances in the top ten

·       Meet my local strength – endurance numbers relating to climbing (not set yet).  Number of non stop routes at the climbing wall.   Thinking about 100???

·       Changed up the method on my training and went with time on the wall instead of number of routes but successful

·       Hang Board numbers - added weight and hold (not set yet).

·       Simply didn’t work the hang board as much as I should have

·       Campus Board Numbers – Campus Medium and small rungs.

·       Didn’t work the Campus Board as it caused lots of face pain

·       Complete new 70 by 70 list reflecting new goals over the next 12 months.

·       Successful

·       Hold Gripmas again –- this will be the next to last one – 2018 will be the last.

·       Just a few weeks until Gripmas - Coming up Dec 9th

·       Cut down on my coffee – switch completely to decaf.

·       Successful

·       Spend less time on the computer.

·       Less but still more than I should

·       You might notice I have no competition goals this year – been there - done that – and have a drawer full of tee shirts.  No grip goals outside of climbing - my grip interest has waned over time - the only thing I haven't done that I set out to do a decade or so ago in lift the Inch DB.  I need to just feel better and say the hell with all the competitive stuff.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, patrickmeniru said:

Haha, thanks David. I've been enjoying your instagram posts. I'll have to give the pole work a try some time, looks like a lot of fun (but probably also a lot harder than it looks!).

Thank you my friend. I’ve been following your stuff as well. Your post usually acts as a good reminder for me that I need to work my legs more, haha. Doubt I could squat 150 kg with proper depth anymore. Let alone rep 200 kg. Yes, I recommend it. I think you’d be kickass in it! Especially in the power oriented version of it where you focus alot on different forms of flags, lifts and flips. IMO it’s THE definitive form of physical training. You have to be strong in all angles and in all ranges of motion. You also have to have good balance and flexability. Some people have their preconceived ideas on it. But they usually get quiet once I show them that I can do human flags with another person standing on top of me.

• Like 2