2017 Goals

Paul Markowski

Baby Inch @135lbs for gb cert

2-45's Pinch

MM0 Cert

Axle Deadlift (thumbless) ,Want to beat my best axle double overhand lift at 312lbs. So 315+

• Like 4

On 12/31/2016 at 11:44 AM, patrickmeniru said:

Hey - just watched your insta vid of 159kg, nice job.  I'll preface this by saying that your bench is stronger than mine, so I won't try and give you any detailed technical pointers because it's always a little irritating getting lectured by someone who hasn't achieved what  you have. Having said that, one of my friends is ranked top 10 in the world for bench in tested bench at the 83kg class (Ed Karim, 182.5kg, has hit 185kg paused in the gym) and something that he does that it doesn't look like you do is get a strong arch in his set-up and press strongly through his legs during the entire movement - I suspect that these things and probs some other technical bits could give you a good few kilos basically for free - as I'm sure you know there is a bunch of material online to help you - best of luck!

You are correct, however I stay away from the arch because I want my bench performance to translate to my gymnastics.  Thiugh I will say my largest weakness in bench is form, as I spent many years benching what I call prison style.  Thanks for the info.  It is hard to tell by the videos but I definately keep my legs engaged, just not enough to lift my butt or show any lower body movement.  One flaw I see in powerlifting bench is the grip width and back arch.  I personally think you should be forced to have a specific range of motio  measured no different than some of the grip challenges.  Nothing worse to losing a meet to a guy who only moves the bar 3 inches.

• Like 1

Bending

screen_shot_2017_01_02_at_9_08.png

Also 8-10 sub-7" FBBC certs

Non-bending
Get to 200lbs bw (carryover from 2016)
Remain employed
Get engaged
Learn some Python
Related to above, commit to current career path, or switch to management role in data science
Do the sprint triathlon in my town
Run a 26:00 5k
Do a swim meet
OHP 185lbs

• Like 2

2017 Goals:

General lifting
Squat:500
Deadlift:600
Axle DL:400
Strict Press:245
Push Press:300
Bench Press:350
Pull-ups:10
Strict Curl: 150/2.5" bar:120

Grip Specific
Grippers: mms 160 lb Rgc
Bending: DUH Rednail and cert
Pinch: 2x35 plates+5, 1H 80lb flask, 5x10 plate, blob, 65lb plate hub, 70lb IM style hub. 205lb 2HP on the flask
Thick bar: 200lb 2.5" crusher, 160lb inch, 225lb 2" vbar. 
Hammer: FL:25 lbs at 31",  coin lift 12lbs, slim lever 16lb.

Strongman:

Yoke: 950lbs 50ft beltless
Frame: 600lbs 50ft beltless
FW: 530lbs 100ft beltless
Tire: 800lb 5 flips
Stone:305 56" platform
Log:275lbs
Axle C&P: 300lbs
DB:200lbs
Keg Press:250

Drop weight from 293 to 260 

Better general conditioning so I'm joining a BJJ gym. Working harder to stay postive and be healthy. 

• Like 2

On this thread, I believe there are 8 or 9 of us for which it is our goal (and I am among them) to Certify on the 3 in 2017.

How many total Certified in 2016? I believe it was 5. Edit: No, it was 4.

On this thread, I believe there are three guys for which it is their goal to Certify on the 3.5 in 2017.

How many total Certified on the 3.5 in 2016? Zero.

Hey, let's hold ourselves accountable on this thing. I don't think any of us are posting junk on the World Wide Web just to get a few "likes". Let's keep at it! :rock

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Hubgeezer said:

On this thread, I believe there are 8 or 9 of us for which it is our goal (and I am among them) to Certify on the 3 in 2017.

On this thread, I believe there are three guys for which it is their goal to Certify on the 3.5 in 2017.

Hey, let's hold ourselves accountable on this thing. I don't think any of us are posting junk on the World Wide Web just to get a few "likes". Let's keep at it! :rock

I'm with you on this one, boss. 

I have a dedicated training routine, and I am gunning for it sometime during the fall.

12 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Agreed. I should have certed the COC #3.5 a couple years back before getting side tracked. I'll hold myself accountable and give it everything I have. I'm healthy now and won't take anything for granted. Lets get her done! 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Nice post- good idea would be to post current lifts/levels then 2017 goals. My rolling thunder is 194lb so 200lbis not really going out on a limb. My IM hub is over 66 so my goal of 75 is attainable as I still have newbie gains

1 minute ago, Kluv#0 said:

Nice post- good idea would be to post current lifts/levels then 2017 goals. My rolling thunder is 194lb so 200lbis not really going out on a limb. My IM hub is over 66 so my goal of 75 is attainable as I still have newbie gains

We should check on this thread and post videos of PRs towards our goals also. It will keep the thread alive and in our minds. 

• Like 1

Oh I like this thread. How Fun.

1) Close the COC 1 with both hands and start training to close the 1.5

2) Pull 185lbs on the two hand tips tester lift

3) Pinch 100# two hands on the flask 

4) Break 100# on 2 inch Crusher 

• Like 6

On 12/31/2016 at 1:47 PM, Anton.Torrella said:

Red Nail Cert, Bastard, Hexabastard, Shiney Bastard certs, 150lbs on the 2.5" crusher, 75lbs one hand flask, mm0 cert, 300lbs do axle deadlift - IT WILL BE DONE!

And do your first strongman comp ! lol

• Like 1

2017 Goals

Primary goals are all oriented towards climbing and moving better for 2017.

·       Bodyweight to 180# - currently 191 to 193# - down from 208# a couple years ago

·       Eat better – especially night time snacks!

·       Keep my A Fib and Blood Pressure under control – good right now (fingers crossed).  Pretty much outside on my control but maybe the healthier I am the better this will be as well.  Seems like the only time I get high BP is right after a spell of A Fib – seems to last a couple months and then return to normal. 

·       Eliminate as much of my fairly constant pain as possible.

·       Be consistent leading any 5.10 limestone sport routes when I go to Greece climbing in the fall

·       Do the least amount of heavy lifting I can get away with and not lose lifting strength beyond set goal numbers (not set yet).

·       Meet my aerobic goal numbers.  These will be Concept 2 test numbers for different distances.  Basically top 10 in 500 – 1000 – and 2000 meters – maybe best 500 period for my age.

·       Meet my local strength – endurance numbers relating to climbing (not set yet).  Number of non stop routes at the climbing wall.   Thinking about 100???

·       Hang Board numbers - added weight and hold (not set yet).

·       Campus Board Numbers – Campus Medium and small rungs.

·       Complete new 70 by 70 list reflecting new goals over the next 12 months.

·       Hold Gripmas again – this will be the next to last one – 2018 will be the last.

·       Cut down on my coffee – switch completely to decaf.

·       Spend less time on the computer.

·       You might notice I have no competition goals this year – been there - done that – and have a drawer full of tee shirts.  No grip goals outside of climbing - my grip interest has waned over time - the only thing I haven't done that I set out to do a decade or so ago in lift the Inch DB.  I need to just feel better and say the hell with all the competitive stuff.

·      

Edited by climber511
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

·       Cut down on my coffee – switch completely to decaf.

·      

Cutting down on my caffeine consumption (from about 1000 to 300 mg/day) was one of the best thing I did in 2016. That stuff is poison.  

45 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Cutting down on my caffeine consumption (from about 1000 to 300 mg/day) was one of the best thing I did in 2016. That stuff is poison.  

Seconded.  I accidentally had a cup of decaf in 2014 and woke up the next morning feeling more refreshed than I ever had.  Never looked back.  Highly recommended.   

15 hours ago, Tank Andrade said:

And do your first strongman comp ! lol

Yes!

15 hours ago, climber511 said:

ls this year – been there - done that – and have a drawer full of tee shirts.  No grip goals outside of climbing - my grip interest has waned over time - the only thing I haven't done that I set out to do a decade or so ago in lift the Inch DB.  I need to just feel better and say the hell with all the competitive stuff.

·      

I still remember when you did beat Chad Woodall in one of the events. People rarely beat Chad if ever and you did it at your age ;) Way to go :rock 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

I still remember when you did beat Chad Woodall in one of the events. People rarely beat Chad if ever and you did it at your age ;) Way to go :rock 

Thanks.  Certainly the High Point of my Grip Sport career.  My only overall event win in a major comp I think.

• Like 2

Goals for 2017, good question.

- Close my 194# #4 again and 199# #4 for the first time.

- MM6 cert

- 185#+ Gripper 20mm set in competition

- 2HP on the Euro 260+

- 2" crusher 240#

- Inch DB lift LH and reps RH.

- Flask 1HP 115+, and Euro 1HP 130ish

- 200+ Saxon bar Pinch Clean

- 300# Saxon bar Pinch DL

- Pull 185#+ RH on my Inch handle

- No injuries.

- Bench 400# again before I get too old to do so. (need to start benching again to make that happen)

- Lose 25#

- Aaron

• Like 7

• Stay healthy
  • Continue my cut to 225# and maintain or be less than 225# by year end
  • Get my "big 3" numbers back to where they were this time last year
  • 220# plus on the euro
  • 350# on the axle
  • Close an Elite if I can stay motivated with grippers
  • Host at least 2 more grip comps this year
  • Get back working
  • Like 4

Stay healthy 

get strong

bend the gold. 

These are the three goals I will focus on specifically. That pec tear last year really hurt me goal wise. 

• Like 7

• >90.8k in the Euro 2HP next LGC competition (17 June) in -74k class (failed in 2015)
  • well above 140k in the DO Axle deadlift (same comp) in -74k
  • 100lb (total weight) in strict style with the Wrist Wrench (currently 92lb) at 74k body weight. This goal is probably a bit too optimistic.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, EJ Livesey said:

Stay healthy 

get strong

bend the gold. 

These are the three goals I will focus on specifically. That pec tear last year really hurt me goal wise. 

How did you tear it?

2017 Goals

MMO Cert. - I've been so close to this for over a year now, but haven't been able to get it exactly right with the camera, close, attempt, at the same time.

600lb. Deadlift - This is more of a lifetime goal, but at some point, I will begin running out of time.  I have gotten up to 565 off a 1" mat, but need to step things up and hit every section of the lift methodically if this is ever to become a reality.  

300lb. Axle (double overhand) - When I trained this lift exclusively for a comp a few years back, I was able to get up to around 280.  But, when I don't train it regularly, my numbers drop to around 240-250, which seems to be my base level at the axle (while training all other forms of grip).

Keep bending - I am now entering my 9th year of bending steel, at which I haven't taken any type of break longer than a week-or-so (and this was after surgeries).  This was always something I did out of a love of the feat/sport.  But, as I move through my 40s, it is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain this type of training and schedule.  The new Red Nails aren't making it any easier either, but that is something for another topic, which will probably manifest at some point in 2017.  

Keep training at least 4 days/week - We are having another child in a few months, which will make 2 kids under the age of 3.  For the past year, training time has been difficult, but I have maintained a pretty good routine, albeit rushed and abbreviated.  At current, I get about 35-45 minutes per-day to train.  This will probably change, but I will not stop and do what I can to fit things in (even if it means waking up at 4 a.m. to get my work in).

• Like 5