2017 Goals

Paul Markowski

My goals have changed quite a bit from 5 years ago.

Non-Physical Goals

1.)  Don't die in 2017. (no...really)

2.)  Regain as much health as possible + be best husband, father, son/son-in-law, friend I can be.

3.)  Continue coaching daughter in Swimming.

4.)  Enjoy visit from Hulshof's and pull off a once in a lifetime comp. (SJ4)

5.)  Continue Adoption efforts.

Grip/Bending Goals   (trying to keep it simple/doable)

1.) Crush...GHP8, MM3, MM4...certs.

2.) Pinch...Blobzilla, Blob facelift

3.) Support...210 RT

4.) Bending...get back on the bending saddle...continue barehand work

• Like 9

Long post alert but here is my 2017 goals.

• COC #3, I don't care if it's 20mm, 30mm, or CC set. I just want to crush it. Currently I'm less than 3mm away from closing my #2.5 rgc 132. My #3 is 147. I'm left handed but seem to struggle with the set even with left turn grippers. The goal for left hand is to close my 2.5 for a few reps. Left turn #3 is 156 so not sure about that one.

• Half 90 blob pre USA + 5lbs or so in magnets. Don't have a half 100. Currently lifting my half 80 + 4.2 in magnets. Half 90 is only clearing the ground by about an inch.

• DubHub shallow around 53. 45.6 current. Deep side 70lbs. 63.1 current.

• Flask 1HP 96. 81.2 current. 2HP 190+. Current 175.5

• Tips Tester 2H 300. 280.2 current. 1H 155-160. 140.2 current.

• DOH axle goal was 350, previous best was 315. Just hit 335 so the goal is around 365. 

• 160lbs on my inch trainer. (Circus dumbbell). 135 current.

• Vbar 260. Hit 220 on one before, but need to buy one. 

• 2.5 crusher or similar handle. 160, did around 135 on one before. Need to purchase as well. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Broc said:
  • one arm pullup on rolling thunder
  • coc #3 certify and close a #3.5
  • CDT certify
  • stirrup top 10
  • colorado state raw bench record (> 395lb) in 83kg weight class (though 405lb is real goal)

American raw record(drug tested) is 405-420 at your weight range - good luck with your goals. you have any videos?

Edited by Kluv#0

Start actually training again and not just be a lurker. Attend another comp. That's it. I'm not hard to please. GL all.

• Like 1

Given my current progress with grippers (gone from 1 rep 2.5 MMS intermittently to 5-6 reps 2.5 MMS consistently), my goals would be:

MM0 Cert

COC #3 Cert

MM1 Cert

160# MMS

3" 2HP block 90KG (200lbs)

60KG Bicep Curl

70KG+ RT

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

American raw record(drug tested) is 405-420 at your weight range - good luck with your goals. you have any videos?

I have videos on instagram if you use that app.  uncomfortably.strong is the username.  Just posted my most recent 1RM retest after my first experience with the Smolov Jr. Bench programming.  I have my eyes set on the CO state record raw and tested because my wife holds the woman's record in the 72kg class.  It's a couples thing.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Broc said:

I have videos on instagram if you use that app.  uncomfortably.strong is the username.  Just posted my most recent 1RM retest after my first experience with the Smolov Jr. Bench programming.  I have my eyes set on the CO state record raw and tested because my wife holds the woman's record in the 72kg class.  It's a couples thing.

Cool. Would be a major gain but wonderful record to get.

24 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Cool. Would be a major gain but wonderful record to get.

I have a long bench pressing history.  Most of the gain needed is form and dedication.  But I agree, it is a very ambitious goal. 

14 minutes ago, Broc said:

I have a long bench pressing history.  Most of the gain needed is form and dedication.  But I agree, it is a very ambitious goal. 

Same here going on 34 straight years next month of 315 pause bench- about 10 of those years in low 400's. 

• Like 2

On 12/29/2016 at 7:00 PM, Gabriel O'Keeffe said:
  • Stirrup 120+

Make that, say, 150+, as my stirrup arrived tonight and I already pulled 129.6, and it's not 2017 yet. :D

• Like 4

Great goals to read here. Work hard guys, enjoy the ride. 

@anwnate, you better not die on me dude lol. 

2017 has a lot in store. First of all, visiting the States with my family and finally meet up with Nate for a few days and attend SJ4 and meeting a lot of you guys which will be a lifetime remembrance for me. In many aspects this hobby brought me some very nice things and nice people to meet in 2016. Attended a Dutch comp, met up with @Joefrey in Belgium and for 2017 the States. Before visiting Nate we are going to enjoy New York and after SJ4 it's Washington and Florida. 

As far as training goes. 

1. Cert the #3. I know, it's an ongoing story, but on the other hand, strength for me does't come overnight. I have ditched most other training and everything I do now in training is in assistance for my #3 cert. I have always worked hard and consistent, but the last bit is a struggle for me. I know it's not in the work I put in, nor the mental aspect. But, the CCS #3 in the tough range just doesn't come easy to me. But, that is where the whole challenge lies, right? We'll see, I am preparing for the worst in facing a tough #3 so I need that mental push that I can pull of at least one tough #3 CCS before signing up. I am not bothering with a timeframe, that's just no how my body will work, other than giving me stress. 

2. Take life more as it goes. I have a tendency to want to keep everything under control in life. I need to let that go. Life is busy with work and family and my family is what matters most. I want to put energy into things that give me energy back. Also, minimalism is an interesting thing I have read more about. I'm in for consuming less and surrounding me with stuff that matters to me. Remove clutter. Not taking that to the extreme, but it's a principle that seems to work for me. 

Have a good new year everybody. 

• Like 9

Cool to see everyone's plans for next year - good luck to all, hopefully everyone stays healthy and crushes it! My personal training goals are:

• Squat at least 200kg
  • Deadlift 600lbs
  • MMS CoC #3.5
  • Snatch 100kg
  • Clean and jerk 140kg
  • Chin up with 80kg
  • Continue to improve all around mobility
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Broc said:

Hey - just watched your insta vid of 159kg, nice job.  I'll preface this by saying that your bench is stronger than mine, so I won't try and give you any detailed technical pointers because it's always a little irritating getting lectured by someone who hasn't achieved what  you have. Having said that, one of my friends is ranked top 10 in the world for bench in tested bench at the 83kg class (Ed Karim, 182.5kg, has hit 185kg paused in the gym) and something that he does that it doesn't look like you do is get a strong arch in his set-up and press strongly through his legs during the entire movement - I suspect that these things and probs some other technical bits could give you a good few kilos basically for free - as I'm sure you know there is a bunch of material online to help you - best of luck!

Red Nail Cert, Bastard, Hexabastard, Shiney Bastard certs, 150lbs on the 2.5" crusher, 75lbs one hand flask, mm0 cert, 300lbs do axle deadlift - IT WILL BE DONE!

• Like 7

I am pretty quiet about goals but here goes.

Pinch 2 45's 

MM0

Shiny in IMPs

Start building training equipment

SJ4

Throw, lift, BBQ, and laugh a bunch.

All the best everyone.

• Like 6

Stupid software.

Edited by climber511

Pinch 2 x 25kg leoko or eleiko

50+kg  1HP

110+kg 2HP.

Lift Jedds Homicide bell

Inch farmers walk 10 meters

95kg LGC 60mm rolling handle

Level 22 Vulcan

Gripper close 185 RGC

Win nationals(Norwegian)

Perform my very best at the European Grip Championships and WHEA World Grip Championships. 

Compete in WSH & King Kong

• Like 3

My goal for 2017 is the certification of the CoC 3.

I would be the third person from austria to accomplish this feat. 

I want to get it done in the second half of 2017

• Like 1

Mines just to keep going as I am. Push when needed, back off when needed and everything else should fall into place. Good luck to everybody.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GripAustria said:

My goal for 2017 is the certification of the CoC 3.

I would be the third person from austria to accomplish this feat

Great goal and very realistic brother....you can do it!

2 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

back off when needed

I agree......it is sometimes very tough for strength athletes to "take a break" when injured or over trained....kind of a "macho" thing BUT rest is just as important as training!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paul Markowski said:

I agree......it is sometimes very tough for strength athletes to "take a break" when injured or over trained....kind of a "macho" thing BUT rest is just as important as training!

Yes definitely, with experience comes wisdom and sometimes its a good to listen to wise men! Unfortunately with youth sometimes comes too much enthusiasm and not enough discipline. Keeping injury free should always be everybody's #1 goal.

• Like 2