Path to the COC 3 Cert

pburke23

On 12/30/2016 at 0:46 AM, bencrush said:

Great work!  You know I love no set.  Can't go wrong with a that at least part of the time.  I uploaded a short video to YouTube of the coin (stacked pennies) measuring yesterday...but I see it is not showing up.  I can figure it out when I get back home in about 6 hours. 

Did that video ever make it up ben?

Week 1 - Day 1 (for the sake of it being 1/1/2017, going to say it's week 1 - really week 2)

Goal: (10 successful singles with both hands including a 5 sec hold closed with each single)

- Left: 4 successful singles including 5 sec holds with COC #2 (108), then 6 successful singles including 5 sec holds with COC #1.5 (91). Only moved down once I failed twice.

- Right: 10 successful singles including 5 sec holds with COC #2 (108)

- Extensor work with red ironmind - 3 x 30

- Stretching complex

Silvis T-rex will be here by my next workout, so will be able to work between my COC2 (108) and COC2.5(124) finally. Happy New Years all!

• Like 1

On 12/25/2016 at 4:00 AM, bencrush said:

Week 1, Day 1: Find baseline CCS max.  Use the T-Rex.  This way you can more accurately find what your true CCS max is by avoiding the big jumps between the #2 and the #2.5, etc.  Avoid the temptation to do CCS attempts on the #3 in this workout.

Week 1, Day 2: Find 20mm block set max.  Use the T-Rex. 

Week 2, Day 1: Do 5 CCS attempts on your #3.  Video record all five and use the playback to determine an estimate of how close you got the handles.  Record this as your baseline performance on the #3. 

Week 2, Day 2: Find 30mm block set max.  Use the T-Rex.

Week 3, Day 1: CCS FOCUS.  This workout is essentially the start of the program’s real training.  The first 2 weeks were to establish baselines to build from. 

Week 3, Day 2: 20MM/30MM BLOCK SET FOCUS.  This workout is the start of the 20mm and 30mm block set training. 

Warmups are flexible.  I am having him do the Sport for a moderate speed TNS triple, rest 3 minutes, then the Trainer for a double, rest 3 minutes, then #1 for a TNS single.  He can also do the #1 with the same set that he is training that day if he feels like it.  Or all of the sets can be done with the same set as the focus of the workout.  I prefer TNS for warmups with easy grippers.  Others don’t. 

Very nice well structured program Ben :rock

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pburke23 said:

Did that video ever make it up ben?

Unfortunately, I am having issues again with YouTube. Instead, I put two pics below. The first is the correct way to use a stack of pennies to set the spring depth. The pennies should all be tight (flat) against the spring and lying flat on the top of the handle. The bottom of the spring should be gently touching the top penny. 

See the second pic where the stack of pennies is tilted. This is incorrect. 

You can tape a stack of pennies together so it's not as awkward. I have little dexterity, but I don't have any problem using non-taped stacks of pennies. 

It might have been Jared G. who had the idea of tongue depressors used to measure spring depth. It was very smart.

img_20170102_092427.jpg

img_20170102_092355.jpg

16 minutes ago, bencrush said:

Unfortunately, I am having issues again with YouTube. Instead, I put two pics below. The first is the correct way to use a stack of pennies to set the spring depth. The pennies should all be tight (flat) against the spring and lying flat on the top of the handle. The bottom of the spring should be gently touching the top penny. 

See the second pic where the stack of pennies is tilted. This is incorrect. 

You can tape a stack of pennies together so it's not as awkward. I have little dexterity, but I don't have any problem using non-taped stacks of pennies. 

It might have been Jared G. who had the idea of tongue depressors used to measure spring depth. It was very smart.

img_20170102_092427.jpg

img_20170102_092355.jpg

Thanks for posting these! This will be super helpful once I get the Trex in a few days. Probably a dumb question, but both legs are set to the exact same depth, correct? Only giving me some confusion being the dog leg shaped a bit different.

Another question, on Canon's site, it says the T-rex min range is around 115lbs, and max range around 145lbs, is there a way to know where these numbers coincide with the handle depth?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pburke23 said:

Thanks for posting these! This will be super helpful once I get the Trex in a few days. Probably a dumb question, but both legs are set to the exact same depth, correct? Only giving me some confusion being the dog leg shaped a bit different.

Another question, on Canon's site, it says the T-rex min range is around 115lbs, and max range around 145lbs, is there a way to know where these numbers coincide with the handle depth?

You are welcome! Glad they helped. Sorry the video didn't work though. 

You set the other handle the same depth, the dog leg has no effect on the set depth with the pennies. 

I don't know the numbers that coincide with the handle depths. I unfortunately sold my RGC years ago. Otherwise I would have rated my T-Rex from 20mm to about 1.52mm. 

My T-Rex set at 20mm feels harder than my 102lb #2. But not as hard as my 108lb #2. And the T-Rex set at 3mm feels the same as my 143lb #3. 

Should've mentioned that I use the Silvis 20mm block to set the spring depth when I use 20mm as a spring depth in a workout. Using round objects to set the spring depth is not ideal. Something square or rectangular works best. You can also use CRS Square (1/4", 5/16", 3/8") to set the spring depth.

1/4" is 6.35mm.

5/16" is 7.93mm. 

3/8" is 9.52mm. 

Week 1 - Day 4 (crusher/light flask)

2" crusher:

- 5 sets of 3 with a 3 sec hold on last rep @ 120lbs

Flask: (light day)

- 5 sets of 10 sec holds @ 80lbs

Did some arm work after, but for the sake of keeping my log about grip work, I'll not waste space including.

Will hit some dexterity ball, extensor work later this evening, and singles with the trex on Saturday! Looking forward to trying it out for the first time.

• Like 1

Week 2 - Day 1 - Grippers 

10 successful singles:

- 3 singles with Silvis T-rex @ 8 quarters stacked from spring

- 7 singles with Silvis T-rex @ 10 quarters stacked from spring

Very nice having the adjustable gripper to use for these, I think this is going to help a lot considering the huge gap I had between grippers in this range before it. I'll have to work out the math eventually to have a better estimate of the close strength at different distances, but just by feel the first 3 singles were around 120-122, and the other 7 felt around 113-116? Just guesses, but still much better than having to only use my 108 or 124 grippers. Also, should have taken another day or two before doing these, as they didn't feel great, still a little sore from crusher work a couple days ago, but I'd rather train when I'm not at 100%, so that when I am, I'll feel that much better anyway. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 3:16 PM, pburke23 said:

Week 2 - Day 1 - Grippers 

10 successful singles:

- 3 singles with Silvis T-rex @ 8 quarters stacked from spring

- 7 singles with Silvis T-rex @ 10 quarters stacked from spring

Very nice having the adjustable gripper to use for these, I think this is going to help a lot considering the huge gap I had between grippers in this range before it. I'll have to work out the math eventually to have a better estimate of the close strength at different distances, but just by feel the first 3 singles were around 120-122, and the other 7 felt around 113-116? Just guesses, but still much better than having to only use my 108 or 124 grippers. Also, should have taken another day or two before doing these, as they didn't feel great, still a little sore from crusher work a couple days ago, but I'd rather train when I'm not at 100%, so that when I am, I'll feel that much better anyway. 

Very nice!  I also like what you said about training when you're not at 100%. 

Week 2 - Day 2 (flask/light crusher)

Flask:

- 6 sets of 3 @ 120lbs with 3 sec holds on last rep of each sets.

2" Crusher: (light day)

4 sets of 10 sec holds @ 95lbs

- Some recovery chest work for the left pec, finally starting to be able to put a small amount of load on it (thank goodness), but still feels FAR from normal, and still very atrophied. 

Will be working on some 20mm block set singles with the adjustable RB tomorrow :)

Week 2 - Day 4 (extra day)

Going to train grippers and pinch with a buddy this weekend, so decided to just have a test day for fun with a few impliments. Won't bore with all the warmups, so I'll just post where I worked up to.

Dub-hub:

Deep side: 65lb x 1 (no scale, but 60lbs in weights + ironmind loading pin + impliment)

Shallow side: 40lbs x 1

Wrist wrench: 86lbs

Will be hitting more 20mm block set work on sarurday, and doing some volume pinch work.

• Like 1

Week 3 - Day 2 (Combined Day 1 and 2)

Just got over having the flu, in bed for 4 days, up and moving about for 2, but not able to get a workout in, so finally today I was able to and decided to combine the current day as well as a gripper day I missed.

Grippers:

Left: 96lb x 3 sets of 3, then 2 sets of 2 - 5 sets total

Right: 108lb x 3 sets of 3, then 2 sets of 2 - 5 sets total

Speed Closes:

Left: 72lbs for 10 sets of 3 

Right: 83lbs for 10 sets of 3

2" Crusher:

- 110lbs for 2 sets AMRAP (15,15)(both arms)

Flask: 

- 115lbs for 4 sets of 3

Overall, felt pretty good considering the lack of calories I'd had the previous 5 or 6 days, and happy to be able to hit some stuff. Rest day tomorrow, followed by more gripper work the following day!

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 1:16 AM, bencrush said:

I just wrote up a routine a few days ago for a coworker who is interested in certifying before the end of 2017 too.  His starting level is CCS #1.5 (95lb RGC) and MMS #2 (108lb RGC).  I went as simple with his programming as possible.  Due to the job stress and other limiting factors in his life - kids, etc.  I started typing it out here for you, but then realized that it is quite pretentious of me to assume you want my help or #2 - even care about what I'm having him do, lol.   

Well, it's been almost a month and he has made some very good progress with the program.  He also bought a used Silvis Triceratops so that he could do the exact routine - namely the 5 pennies "easier" setting and working his way down the spring to harder settings from there.  Now he can really put the T-Rex to better use after getting a bit stronger.  He tested 20mm block set last month (figured it was going to be about the same as his MMS max though) and also closed the 108lb #2 - but just barely. 

Yesterday, January 20th, he CCS closed his 108lb #2 (same one that was his MMS max a month ago) with room to spare.  He missed (CCS) a 115lb gripper by a sliver.  Then, in the same workout, he 20mm block set closed a 126lb #2.5.  Beginners gains are so intoxicating.:D  I don't expect his gains to continue unabated, but he's enjoying the ride while it lasts. 

I convinced him to give the Soju and Tuba Protocol a run after a few months on my program.  http://www.strongfirst.com/upgrade-your-strength-with-the-soju-and-tuba-press-program/  He'll use a similar "setting" - about 5 pennies "easier" - on the S&T program as he is on my program. 

Awesome Ben! Keep me updated on his progress! 

I haven't retested anything yet, but I'm definitely making some progress, and am enjoying working in a lower than max range every workout for more volume. 

Appreciate you tagging along!

• Like 1

Week 3 - Day 3 - Gripper Isometrics/Setting practice

Isometric Crushers: (Left - 147, Right - 169)

Left - 5 sets of 3 sec isometric crushes @ 5-6 hard spring on the adjustable RB (147)

Right - 5 sets of 3 sec isometric crushes @ 6-7 hard spring on the adjustable RB (169)

Setting Practice: (Left - 136, Right - 147)

Left - 5 sets of 1 single @ 5-5 hard spring on the adjustable RB (136)

Right - 5 sets of 1 single @ 5-6 hard spring on the adjustable RB (147)

Extensor and pre-hab:

ironmind red extensor work - 3 x 20

dexterity balls - 50 reps each hand x 2

Traveling right now, so don't have access to most my equipments, so the adjustable RB coming in handy. Hitting some pinch and crusher work tomorrow! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Feb 2nd 2017 

- Since I've been slightly inconsistent due to a lot going on, I'm going to just start posting the date instead of what week my current programming is on. Got a scale in, so decided to start with some hubbing (even though I don't currently have any programmed, it's fun to test from time to time, right?)

DubHub (deep side)

25x10

45x8

55x3

66.2x1

2.5" Crusher - (2 sets of AMRAP)

Left - 15, 12 

Right - 14, 10

Flask - (2 hand)

100x5

130x2

130x2

130x2

130x2

Grippers on Saturday, then back to crusher/flask on Mon!

• Like 1

Feb 4th 2017 - Hub testing, Flask, 2.5" Crusher -

Hub testing:

25x5

45x5

64x1

69x1 (PR)

Flask:

140x1

140x1

140x1

2.5" Crushers:

104x5 sec hold

104x5 sec hold

104x5 sec hold

104x5 sec hold

Really nice day overall, after this 8 week block, I may program some hubbing in instead of the crusher for a little while to see if I can improve upon that 69. Plus I enjoy hubbing. Take care all!

• Like 2

February 7th - Grippers rep/speed work

Grippers: (Rep Work - 5x3)

Left: 101x3, 101x3, 101x3, 101x3, 101x3

Right: 115x3, 115x3, 115x3, 115x3, 115x3

Speed Work: (5x3)

Left: 77x3, 77x3, 77x3, 77x3, 77x3

Right: 88x3, 88x3, 88x3, 88x3, 88x3

Recovery/Prehab:

Dex balls between sets, 3 sets of sledge finger walks with 6lb sledge

Grippers are starting to feel more comfortable in the hand, noticing a lot less sliding as the thumb gets strengthed through pinch work. I have a few more weeks left in this current programming which all my numbers are being based off of, but I'll run these last few weeks, take a deload week, then re-test and post how the last 8 weeks has helped. Hoping to see some decent improvements in my pinch, and grippers. Either way, I'll post my before and after numbers!

February 9th (gripper iso/setting practice)

Isometric Crushers: (Left - 147, Right - 169)

Left - 5 sets of 8 sec isometric crushes @ 5-6 hard spring on the adjustable RB (147)

Right - 5 sets of 8 sec isometric crushes @ 6-7 hard spring on the adjustable RB (169)

Setting Practice: (Left - 136, Right - 147)

Left - 5 sets of 1 single @ 5-5 hard spring on the adjustable RB (136)

Right - 5 sets of 1 single @ 5-6 hard spring on the adjustable RB (147)

Two finger work (top 2)

IMTUG 4 - 3x5 reps

Two finger work (bottom 2)

IMTUG 4 - 3x5 reps

Extensor and pre-hab:

ironmind red extensor work - 3 x 20

Was suppose to pinch and hub today, but we got hit pretty hard with a snowstorm and gym has been closed for the last 5 days. Currently closing on a house with an 800sqft heated shop, so REALLY looking forward to being able to train anytime soon!

Feb 11th 2017 - Hub and Flask

Dub-Hub (deep side)(2 sets of AMRAP)

Left - 37.5lbs x 14, 15

Right - 49lbs x 12, 12

Flask (2 hand - 5x3)

115x3, 115x3, 115x3, 115x3, 115x3

Still can't wait to move into my new house (currently closing), as the gym I goto doesn't allow chalk. I'll have a 800ft heated shop in 30 days and will start banging out some really good work. Looking forward to it. This was a quick workout I had to throw in before driving across the state today, looking forward to a bigger one on Monday.

February 13th 2017 

(Grippers, hub, flask) 

Gripper singles (5x1 w/2ct hold)

Right - (trex @ 5 quarter depth - estimated 133-135) 5 successfull sIngles w/2 ct hold each.

Left - (coc 2.5 @ 124) 5 successful singles w/2 ct hold each.

Gripper doubles (4x2)

Right - (coc 2.5 @ 124) 4 sets of 2

Left - (trex @ 8 quarters depth - estimated at 113-116) 4 sets of 2

Dub-hub (holds capped at 5 sec)

Right - 57lbs x 5 sec, 57x5 sec, 57x5 sec, 57x5 sec

Left - 42lbs x 5sec, 42x5 sec, 42x5 sec, 42x5 sec

Flask (3 sets of 2 @ 130)

130x2, 130x2, 130x2

Really solid workout today. Left arm is starting to come along now, felt good hitting a 124 gripper with it, when 2 months ago, I was missing on a 91 gripper. The surgery and atrophy of the whole arm took a toll on it for sure, but liking where it's heading now. Got 2 more weeks, then I'll be retesting maxes.

• Like 1

Feb 15th 2017 

(Hub and Flask)

Dub-hub (deep side - 3x10)

Right - 3 x 10 @ 49lbs

Left - 3 x 10 @ 39lbs

2 hand Flask (ramping 4x3)

95x5, 110x3, 115x3, 130x3, 140x3 (pr)

Prehab/rehab:

Ez-bar reverse curls - 3x12 @ 45lbs

Dumbell reverse wrist curls - 5x10lbsx10

Plate curls - 25x5, 25x5, 25x3

Dex balls - rotating 1 min each hand x 3 mins each

Feb 18th 2017

(Gripper Singles + Doubles)

Gripper singles (5x1 w/3 sec hold)

Right - (T-Rex @ 4 quarter depth) 5 successful singles with 3 sec holds (PR for 4 quarter depth)

Left - (COC 2.5 @ 124) 5 successful singles with 3 sec holds

Gripper Doubles: (5x2 with 2 sec hold on last rep)

Right - (COC 2.5 @ 124) 5 sucessful doubles with 2 sec hold

Left - (T-Rex @ 8 quarter depth) 5 succesfull doubles with 2 sec hold

Extra set: 

Right - (COC 2.5 124) 1 set of 5 (PR)

Was going to take the day off today as I'm traveling, but decided to bring my grippers with me and hit a workout. Felt really good, first time hitting the T-rex @ 4 quarter depth, not sure where that would rate out to, but feels around 135ish? Either way, hit a "as many reps as possible" set to finish the entire workout and got 5 reps which is a big-time PR! 7 weeks ago I barely managed 1 close with it, so something is working. Rest day tomorrow, then flask + hubbing again on Monday!

• Like 1