Path to the COC 3 Cert

pburke23

Hey guys, recently had surgery to repair a full pec rupture, and am now getting to the point where I can start lifting again seriously, and getting bit by the grip bug again. Certifying on the COC 3 has always been a goal of mine, but in the past, I've either lost interest, stalled in progress and got disappointed and stopped, or had injuries that held me back. I'd like to make a big-time run at this time around, and am feeling more determined than ever before about the goal. 

I'm going to start off doing grippers 2-3x per week, and pinching 2x per week and see if I can make progress that way first before dropping days. As the weight and grippers get heavier, i'll drop some days to add in extra recovery time as necessary, want to get a good foundation going after such a long layoff. 

I'll be doing lots of stretching of the lower arm, extensor work, and contrast baths to help things a long as well. 

Day 1 tomorrow!

Edited by pburke23
  • Like 3

To be honest, I've never really trained CCS, so it will be interesting to add in lots of CCS work now. My hopes are to have a shot at certifying by the very end of next year, if that's a realistic timeline.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pburke23 said:

To be honest, I've never really trained CCS, so it will be interesting to add in lots of CCS work now. My hopes are to have a shot at certifying by the very end of next year, if that's a realistic timeline.

Gotta test it (CCS current ability) to train it properly.  I think that's a realistic timeline, assuming your best CCS close right now is not a Guide.:D  Even then, with the proper training and recovery...it might be doable. 

I just wrote up a routine a few days ago for a coworker who is interested in certifying before the end of 2017 too.  His starting level is CCS #1.5 (95lb RGC) and MMS #2 (108lb RGC).  I went as simple with his programming as possible.  Due to the job stress and other limiting factors in his life - kids, etc.  I started typing it out here for you, but then realized that it is quite pretentious of me to assume you want my help or #2 - even care about what I'm having him do, lol.   

• Like 1

I would ABSOLUTELY love to hear anything you have to offer! That sounds great! Please do if it's not too much trouble.

I am CCSing above a guide :) While I haven't tested (can tomorrow), and my strength level is well below my previous, I would say I probably am CCSing around a 115ish gripper? I know this is very low, but I've had a huge amount of atrophy from 10 months of not working out, and being in a sling for a fair portion of it. 

But, please do share, everything helps!

• Like 1

He will do this workout two days per week.  Separated by several days for recovery. 

And of course it's too early to tell how well it will work for him, but it is the program I would do if I was going to make another run at certifying on the #3. 

Here is the list of grippers and other related gripper stuff that I “insisted” he have before I wrote up this program for him.  He knows I am very selective of who I help with their training.  If I don’t think someone is going to stick to the plan I write up for them – or appreciate the help I’m giving them – I won’t even consider helping them these days.

• 20mm set block.  Make one from wood if you want. 

• 30mm set block.  Make one from wood if you want.  Silvis makes a very nice one.  David Horne does too.  So does GHP. 

• Old credit card.  This will get chewed up by the handles a bit. 

• 150lb #3 - or as close to 150lbs as possible.  Has to be a #3 though.  He found a used RGC rated #3 (152lbs) that is about perfect for his goal.

• Silvis T-Rex.  He sold his #2.5 and put it toward buying a lightly used T-Rex.  At his level (MMS #2), the T-Rex is a great choice.  Adjustable from the #2 level to about easy #3 level.

Week 1, Day 1: Find baseline CCS max.  Use the T-Rex.  This way you can more accurately find what your true CCS max is by avoiding the big jumps between the #2 and the #2.5, etc.  Avoid the temptation to do CCS attempts on the #3 in this workout.

Week 1, Day 2: Find 20mm block set max.  Use the T-Rex. 

Week 2, Day 1: Do 5 CCS attempts on your #3.  Video record all five and use the playback to determine an estimate of how close you got the handles.  Record this as your baseline performance on the #3. 

Week 2, Day 2: Find 30mm block set max.  Use the T-Rex.

Week 3, Day 1: CCS FOCUS.  This workout is essentially the start of the program’s real training.  The first 2 weeks were to establish baselines to build from. 

Week 3, Day 2: 20MM/30MM BLOCK SET FOCUS.  This workout is the start of the 20mm and 30mm block set training. 

Warmups are flexible.  I am having him do the Sport for a moderate speed TNS triple, rest 3 minutes, then the Trainer for a double, rest 3 minutes, then #1 for a TNS single.  He can also do the #1 with the same set that he is training that day if he feels like it.  Or all of the sets can be done with the same set as the focus of the workout.  I prefer TNS for warmups with easy grippers.  Others don’t. 

Here’s the breakdown of each training day.

Day 1: CCS FOCUS

Warmup as I mentioned earlier.  Make sure your hands feel warm, but not beat up.  Don’t do too much work in your warmup to the point where it takes away from the actual workout. 

You will use your T-Rex for the rest of the workout.  Set the spring depth at 5 pennies width (7.6mm, since each penny is 1.52mm thick) “easier” (handles lower on the spring) than your CCS max that you established in Week 1, Day 1 with the Silvis.

Your goal is 5 to 10 CCS singles.  Rest as much between sets as you need.  If this setting is way too easy, bang out 10 CCS singles in the first workout.  You can reward yourself for being strong the next week by lowering the spring depth.  You are also getting in some technique work with the 5 to 10 singles.  These aren’t at your max ability, but they are hard enough that they will have great carryover to improving your max CCS close.

When you reach 10 CCS singles in a single workout, make a note to drop the spring depth by 1.52mm (one penny) for the next workout.  Then your goal in that workout is the same as the first one.  5 to 10 CCS singles.  You don’t have to rush to get 10 singles in one workout if you don’t want to.  It might even get to the point where you are only able to go up by 1 single each successive workout.  That is still progress in the right direction. 

If you start to backslide – get less total singles in a workout than the previous workout – drop this entire workout for the next week and just do the other (20mm/30mm block set) workout on its scheduled day. 

Day 2: 20MM/30MM BLOCK SET FOCUS

Warmup as I mentioned above. 

Use your T-Rex for the rest of the workout.  Just like on the CCS focus workout, you are going to set the spring depth at 5 pennies width (7.6mm) “easier” than your 20mm/30mm block set max that you established on Week 1, Day 2 with the Silvis.

Your goal is 5 to 10 singles.  If your hands are a bit beat up from the CCS workout a few days before, just do 3 singles. 

When you reach 10 singles in a single workout, drop the spring depth by 1.52mm for the next workout.  Then, as above, your goal is 5 to 10 singles. 

• Like 1

Forgot to mention that I refer to it as the Insert For The Cert program.:D  Insert referring to all the block set and CCS work en route to the COC cert itself.

I'd like to see one of the #2-certified ladies get on this program and be the first to put the #2.5 cert to bed.:cool

1 hour ago, pburke23 said:

I would ABSOLUTELY love to hear anything you have to offer! That sounds great! Please do if it's not too much trouble.

I am CCSing above a guide :) While I haven't tested (can tomorrow), and my strength level is well below my previous, I would say I probably am CCSing around a 115ish gripper? I know this is very low, but I've had a huge amount of atrophy from 10 months of not working out, and being in a sling for a fair portion of it. 

But, please do share, everything helps!

Thanks man!  I figured you were way past the Guide, was totally joking there.  Your strength level is actually pretty good I think for having that long off.  That's essentially between a #2 and a #2.5. 

For someone that doesn't have a T-Rex (or other adjustable TSG-style gripper), you could instead progressively shave rest time off with a submax gripper.  Plus, it is a super simple program.  Like this:

Let's say your max CCS close is a 110lb #2.  But you also have an 85lb #1.5. 

Week 1, Day 1: Goal of 10 singles with the #1.5, resting 3 minutes between singles. 

Week 1, Day 2: Goal of 10 singles with the #1.5, resting 2.5 minutes between singles.

Week 2, Day 1: Goal of 10 singles with the #1.5, resting 2 minutes between singles.

Week 2, Day 2: Goal of 10 singles with the #1.5, resting 1.5 minutes between singles.

Week 3, Day 1: Goal of 10 singles with the #1.5, resting 1 minute between singles.

Week 3, Day 2: Goal of 10 singles with the #1.5, resting .5 minute between singles.

Boring workout.  But it is progressive.  I used a format like this when I went through a pistol stage (bodyweight pistol) years ago.  Worked very, very well.  Then I gained a bunch of weight due to unrelated goals - job change, etc.

You could re-test your max CCS close about 4 days after you finish the Week 3, Day 2 workout. 

You could start another cycle of the above with the same #1.5 gripper, but add a hoseclamp around the spring, or smaller microload the difficulty by using zip ties like this smart guy demonstrates here.

Or microload by moving your hand ever so slightly up the gripper handles.  One of my old grip buddies favored doing this over getting a heavier gripper.  He did his normal closes like most of us that have decent technique on grippers.  Pinky hanging half way off the handle.  So when he wanted to make them a tiny bit harder for the next workout he would instead make sure his pinky was all the way on the handle, but still about level with the bottom of the handle.  Maybe 1/2" of leverage difference, but enough to feel it and make improvements in strength.

If you prefer timed holds, you could use the #1.5 and set a time goal.  Maybe 30 seconds of "hold" time.  30 seconds total time that the gripper is held closed.  With the aim of overcrushing it a bit vs. just holding it shut with the bare minimum force.  Rest between sets could be a minute or even less. 

Increase the goal hold time to 45 seconds for the next workout.  When you hit 45 seconds in a single workout, increase the goal hold time to 1 minute.

I don't know how much you would progress with that type of simple program.  Some people really like isometric holds though.  And respond well to them. 

This would make for an interesting gripper experiment if someone wants to give it a shot.  Comparing results for 8 weeks of the first gripper program I listed, then the second (same gripper, reducing rest periods), and the timed holds.

Ben, I absolutely appreciate you writing this all up for me! I haven't had a chance to study it yet (super busy with family stuff today), but looking forward to sitting down tonight and reading it all over and asking a few questions if that's okay! 

Again, thank you so much for doing that, can't wait to analyze it tonight!

Merry Christmas!

• Like 2

Week 1 - Day 1 - December 25th 2016 -

Work sets: 

Tested: CCS COC 2.5 (124) x 1 successful

- CCS Singles - (goal of 10 singles)

Right - 10 successful singles with COC 2 (108)

Left - 5 singles completed with COC 2 (108) then switched to a COC 1.5 (91) for the remaining 5. This arm was surgically repaired recently, and still giving me lots of trouble, but I'm happy with being able to get some singles with the 108 with it before it started acting up.

- Extensor band work 3x20 (red ironmind)

- Stretching complex

Not a bad first workout, going to order a Silvis T-rex, as I currently don't have anything between my COC 2 (108) and my COC 2.5 (124), gonna need something for the work sets between.

Edited by pburke23
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, pburke23 said:

Ben, is this the gripper you were talking about?

http://cannonpowerworks.com/products/t-rex

I wasn't able to watch the video yet.  But that is definitely the gripper I was referring to!  Acorn (Aaron Corcorran) also modifies grippers and is very, very skillful - in case you don't know him already.

7 hours ago, pburke23 said:

Week 1 - Day 1 - December 25th 2016 -

Work sets: 

Tested: CCS COC 2.5 (124) x 1 successful

- CCS Singles - (goal of 10 singles)

Right - 10 successful singles with COC 2 (108)

Left - 5 singles completed with COC 2 (108) then switched to a COC 1.5 (91) for the remaining 5. This arm was surgically repaired recently, and still giving me lots of trouble, but I'm happy with being able to get some singles with the 108 with it before it started acting up.

- Stretching complex

Not a bad first workout, going to order a Silvis T-rex, as I currently don't have anything between my COC 2 (108) and my COC 2.5 (124), gonna need something for the work sets between.

Very good starting point after that long of a layoff!  I'm glad you're going to get a T-Rex.  Mine is awesome.  I guess you could still use your #2 and do double and/or triples (or more) instead of singles - until your T-Rex gets there.  I am not a big fan of reps, but some guys really are. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pburke23 said:

Ben, I absolutely appreciate you writing this all up for me! I haven't had a chance to study it yet (super busy with family stuff today), but looking forward to sitting down tonight and reading it all over and asking a few questions if that's okay! 

Again, thank you so much for doing that, can't wait to analyze it tonight!

Merry Christmas!

You are so welcome! Glad it was helpful.  Merry Christmas to you too man. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bencrush said:

Very good starting point after that long of a layoff!  I'm glad you're going to get a T-Rex.  Mine is awesome.  I guess you could still use your #2 and do double and/or triples (or more) instead of singles - until your T-Rex gets there.  I am not a big fan of reps, but some guys really are. 

Yea! I got really lucky and someone was selling one in the "for sale" section! Ordered, although he won't be able to ship until next week.

I'm a little unsure how you talk about adjusting it with penny widths, could you explain a bit more when you get time?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WestSlope said:

@bencrush what you have done here is exceptionally generous.

@pburke23 it looks like you are off and running! I'll be following your progress if you continue to post.

Thanks WestSlope! I would appreciate it if you guys follow along, it will help keep me accountable and hopefully fully motivated to complete this goal once and for all! I am more determined than ever though, and looking forward to the journey.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pburke23 said:

I'm a little unsure how you talk about adjusting it with penny widths, could you explain a bit more when you get time?

I can explain the penny adjustments in a short video. It is very basic. But a great and accurate tool for measuring progress. 

• Like 2

Week 1 - Day 2 - December 27th 2016 -

Work sets: 

- CCS Triples - (goal of 10 triples)

Right - 10 sets of successful triples with COC 2 (108)

Left - 10 sets of successful triples with COC 1.5 (91)

- Stretching complex

Really happy with this workout, decided to go for triples today (all credit card set) to work some more volume while I'm waiting the Silvis T-Rex to arrive. Didn't attempt any 108 sets with the left, as the repair site has been really bugging me the last few days, and didn't want to put any more added stress on it, but I'll hit it harder next time with the left hopefully. 

Edited by pburke23
  • Like 1

Week 1 - Day 3 - December 29th 2016 -

Work sets: 

- NO SET Singles - (goal of 10 singles)

Right - 10 sets of successful singles with COC 2 (108) followed by a static hold closed for 24 seconds

Left - 10 sets of successful singles with COC 1.5 (91) follow by a static hold closed for 26 seconds.

- Extensor band work 3x25 (red ironmind)

- Stretching complex

Decided to work some NO SET today, the majority of my work will be CCS obviously, but I feel like no setting could have some carry-over?? Thoughts?

• Like 1

Great work!  You know I love no set.  Can't go wrong with a that at least part of the time.  I uploaded a short video to YouTube of the coin (stacked pennies) measuring yesterday...but I see it is not showing up.  I can figure it out when I get back home in about 6 hours. 

• Like 1