Under the Radar - Grip Profile - Anthony Clarino

anwnate

Today's profile covers Anthony Clarino.

Coming from a Bodybuilding background, Anthony was no stranger to exercise or weights   Although he discovered Grip about 8 years ago…it wasn't until he joined the Gripboard (Aug. 2013) that he began his true Grip/Bending Journey. 

Back then, not yet even introduced to bending, he was unable to close a CoC#2.  Fast forward to today, he's closed a #3 with a parallel set and even managed a competition close of a CPW#169 choked gripper.

Surrounding and comparing himself with some of the very best Gripsters in the world, he is yet another Profile-e that undervalues his accomplishments.

In fact…Anthony also found a knack for Double Over Hand Bending.  Through hard work…in less than three years he's certified: the Ironmind Red Nail, the FBBC Bastard, the Big Bastard, and the Big Hexabastard.  As a bender that very literally has 100lbs on him, I can assure you that anytime you start cutting down a piece of 7" x 5/16th" CRS (To make it HARDER)…you have reached a different plane of bending altogether.

Knowing, competing and hanging with Anthony has left me with a very biased (positive) picture of the man…so  I thought it would be cool to get a few words from other gripsters out there.

"Anthony is one of the original Tri-State Grip Collective members and one of my closest friends in the Grip Community.  He showed great determination by being one of the lightest guys to ever certify on the Ironmind Red Nail.  I considered it an honor to be selected as his judge for his certification."  - Cesare "Chez" Ricchezza.

"Clarino?  He is a very regimented person…in a good way.  I've always noticed he sticks closely to his diet and workout.  He rarely drinks as he doesn't like the hangover and fatigue.  He works hard 6 days a week (at 2 jobs)  and just bought his first place in a co-op (which I think is especially impressive for a single guy).  

I've been repeatedly struck by his awareness and positivity in regards to others in social situations.  He's uncommonly optimistic .  Also…the fact that he's able to match me in grippers and exceed me in steel bending is especially impressive for a guy 60lbs less than me..with no body fat!"  - Anton Torrella

"It used to be that Iron Mind would spill a few ounces
of ink -- and put your picture in Milo-- if you spilled enough blood to cert The Red.   

While times might have changed for Milo, the fact remains that bending the Red is an outstanding display of strength and determination.  The list of people who have been able to also do it is still relatively short considering the first cert was back in 1995.  

When Anthony certed the Red in 2016 he also certed the FBBC Big Hexabastard -- on the same day.  

When you take into account that Anthony is under 165lbs (one of the lightest Red Nail Roster's ever), this accomplishment is even more impressive.  Considering he is under 30 years old…who knows what bending goals he will be able to take on down the road?"  - Richard Cottrell

Let's hear some more from the man himself…

anthony propic final.png

7 Questions to get to know Anthony.

1.  What are your stats?  Gripboard Name, Age, Height (inches/meters), Weight (lbs/kgs), R/L dominant hand size (cm/in), Country/City (or region … whatever you are comfortable with), Relationship Status, Kids?, Occupation ("international spy" is acceptable) 

Gripboard name: Anthony C.

Height:  5'8" (172cm)

Weight: 160lbs (72.5kg)

Hand Size:  7.25" (18.4cm)  Right Hand Dominant

Relationship: Single, No Kids

2.  Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)? 

I broke my wrist badly in a playground accident when I was in middle school, and it never truly healed properly.  Once I got to high school, I began to lift weights, but the wrist would bother me on many exercises (bench press, curls, push-ups, etc).  It was just very weak.

I went online in search of wrist strengthening tips and found Ironmind.  I bought many wrist/grip strengthening tools from Ironmind, but honestly I never really stuck with it.  My "Captains of Crush" grippers collected dust and my wrist remained weak through the years, until 2013.

I randomly stumbled upon the Gripboard and discovered that Grip strength is an actual thing and that there is a community of people who partake in it.  Good people.  From that point on, I was hooked.  I pulled my grippers out of retirement, and I have been training my grip hard and competing in contests ever since then.

3.  Before you die, what is your ULTIMATE grip goal/goals? 

Well the most immediate goal that I have been working towards this past year has been deadlifting 405 pounds.  My posterior chain has always been a weak link for me and I have really improved on it this year.  My best lift right now is 385.  I’m close.

I’ve progressed faster than I expected I would, so I’d say 500 is something I’d love to do one day.

Before riding off into the eternal sunset, I’d like to certify on the Mash Monster Level 0.

I would also like to Two-Hand Pinch 200lbs.

As far as bending goes…for about a year and a half, I was absolutely obsessed with the Red Nail.

I trained, slept and breathed that goal.   

I plan on certifying on the Shiny Bastard.

Other than that, I just want to be stronger today than I was yesterday.

4.  How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training? 

I train 4 times a week and follow a bodypart split.

Every other week I put in an extra 5th workout and dedicate it entirely to grip.

Otherwise, I do my grip exercises in the same sessions as my other bodyparts . I love to throw fat grips on everything on back day and get thick bar in that way.

I also like grippers, pinch and rolling handle lifts.  I get my extensor work in at night while I’m sitting on the couch.

A happy elbow is a healthy elbow.

5.  What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

Grip IS my hobby, haha. I work alot and have long days, so there isn’t much time for hobbies.

I enjoy taking road trips and going to wrestling shows with my friends.

I’m a big TV fan and get my money’s worth from my Netflix subscription.

Pizza. Other than that, I can’t really think of anything at the moment.  Did I mention pizza? 

My favorite Pizza place is Luigi's on 35 Avenue in Bayside, Queens.

6.  Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

I’d just like to thank everyone who has helped me throughout the years.

There are too many names to list, but you all know who you are.  I’ve received so much advice and assistance throughout the years, it really is unbelievable what a good group of people you all are.

I look forward to many more years of your company.

7.  Who's Grip profile would you like to see next?

I’d like to see the profile of anyone else in the NYC group!

Thanks Anthony.  Special thanks to Anton, Richard and Chez for contributing to the profile.  Fellow NYC crewmember Anton Torrella has got the call.  His profile will be posted in the near future.

• Like 18

Great profile! One that I have been waiting a while for. I have been consistently impressed with the strong performances Anthony has put on at competitions that I have attended.

• Like 2

He is also funny as hell and has volunteered multiple times to help at the competitions I have held. Just a good guy. If you hang out with him, don't be surprised if he takes his shirt off since he always looks for an opportunity to show off his abs :laugh 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Haven't met him in person but we've chatted some online. Really cool and friendly dude, looking forward to meeting him at a competition

• Like 3

It was awesome following your progress Anthony.  And seeing you hit your goals!

• Like 2

Great to meet you on the GB Anthony!  Nice profile brother & well done writeup by Nate! 

• Like 2

Just wanted to give another thank you to everyone for their kind words! I'm glad you all like me, because I plan on being around for a loooooong time. And thanks to Nate for putting this together and for his efforts on the Gripboard, and Chez, Anton and Rich for their contributions! You guys kick ass!

• Like 1

Anthony is the man, great competitor and great person. He has incredible drive to accomplish his goals. Ive learned quite a bit hangin out with him about grip and many other things. We will most certainly be friends for many years to come!

• Like 2

Good read!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...