Planning for 2017 AZ Cactus Grip Comp

acorn

Got our first ladies entry yesterday. Will be her first contest.

Entries in and Paid:

Durry Becker

Philip Khoshaba

Martin Braun

Steve Callahan

Tanner Merkle

Brandon Azevedo

Becky Myrick

• Like 3

Still 2 or 3 others with verbal confirmation but not yet entered. If you are coming get your entries in so I can have a good estimate on head count for the venue, please. Trophies are coming along as well. Martin is working on the wood bases but here is a pic of what the top will look like. Close to 20% larger scale than normal adult sized gripper.

20170311_170033_cropped.thumb.jpg.b9566e02cad3de84241f02d340e5c0a0.jpg

Entries in and Paid:

Durry Becker

Philip Khoshaba

Martin Braun

Steve Callahan

Tanner Merkle

Brandon Azevedo

Becky Myrick

Entry in but not yet paid

Brandon Hall

• Like 2

Oh @#$%^!  There goes my hopes of 2nd place.

... and with Tanner in it, I'm not sure I will get third.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2017 at 1:34 PM, acorn said:

Still 2 or 3 others with verbal confirmation but not yet entered. If you are coming get your entries in so I can have a good estimate on head count for the venue, please. Trophies are coming along as well. Martin is working on the wood bases but here is a pic of what the top will look like. Close to 20% larger scale than normal adult sized gripper.

20170311_170033_cropped.thumb.jpg.b9566e02cad3de84241f02d340e5c0a0.jpg

Freakin' Gorgeous.  Impressive as always Aaron.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, anwnate said:

Freakin' Gorgeous.  Impressive as always Aaron.

Thank you sir! They are coming out nice. 

Entries in and Paid:

Durry Becker

Philip Khoshaba

Martin Braun

Steve Callahan

Tanner Merkle

Brandon Azevedo

Becky Myrick (F)

Michelle Harrison (F)

Brandon Hall

Well we are about 5 days out now. Trophies are nearly complete and I want to thank Martin for doing the wood turning for the cherry bases. Got the last cuts done on those yesterday and stained last night. 

A reminder to bring a water bottle and snacks. I will have chalk at the comp. Also if people have a specific gripper range they are trying to hit and have CoC or BB grippers in that range I am not opposed to people bringing some to fill in. I have a decent sized set but nowhere near the 5# increments of the Nationals set. Feel free to let me know. Here is what I have available for the comp and I believe Martin may be bringing some down too. We are coordinating. These numbers are from memory but should be pretty close.

28# Sporting goods 

56# #T

78# #1

92# #1.5

105# #2

117# BBM

121# adj BBSM

134# #2.5

138# #3

142# adj BBGM

149# #3

153.5# #3

156# BBE

160# adj BBE

165# adj BBE

169# #3.5

173# BBE

176# adj BBSE

179# #3.5

185# adj BBSE

190# adj BBGE

194# #4

199# #4

There may be some others as well that I am not thinking about right now.

If anyone has any questions let me know. Also still not too late to sign up and join us.

Lastly we may do a dinner get together Friday night if people are in town and interested. Let me know if you are.

Thanks,

- Aaron

• Like 1

One other thing if I do not get 3 ladies entered I will Auction off the last trophy to help with incurred expenses making them. Just a heads up. Entry fees for a contest this small don't come close to covering costs to make these this year.

- Aaron

Rated grippers I'll bring:

98# GHP 4
111# SM
114# GHP 5
120# Atoms 3 band
124# 2.5
130# ghp 6

I think Steve needs to get one of the female clients or trainers to participate.  

Also, are we doing the usual "hold my whisky" feats at your place afterwards?

10 hours ago, bwwm said:

I think Steve needs to get one of the female clients or trainers to participate.  

Also, are we doing the usual "hold my whisky" feats at your place afterwards?

Indeed. And yes we will likely head back to the house and maybe grab some food on the way. Lots of toys to be played with.

• Like 1

Lastly, if anybody from the valley needs a ride, or doesn't feel like driving the whole way, let me know.  I'm pretty close to the 87 route to the I-10.

Just need to clear coat the Cherry bases today and assemble as well as affix label plates now.

20170329_075250.thumb.jpg.4273763792cb455de7221c092f6948e7.jpg

• Like 7

Had another entry today. Also sorry about the pic being sideways. Weirdness.

Entries in and Paid:

Durry Becker

Philip Khoshaba

Martin Braun

Steve Callahan

Tanner Merkle

Brandon Azevedo

Becky Myrick (F)

Michelle Harrison (F)

Bill Cassell

Brandon Hall

I got this...tmp_25269-20170329_075250.thumb.jpg.4273763792cb455de7221c092f6948e71110627017.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/27/2017 at 1:50 PM, acorn said:

Well we are about 5 days out now. Trophies are nearly complete and I want to thank Martin for doing the wood turning for the cherry bases. Got the last cuts done on those yesterday and stained last night. 

A reminder to bring a water bottle and snacks. I will have chalk at the comp. Also if people have a specific gripper range they are trying to hit and have CoC or BB grippers in that range I am not opposed to people bringing some to fill in. I have a decent sized set but nowhere near the 5# increments of the Nationals set. Feel free to let me know. Here is what I have available for the comp and I believe Martin may be bringing some down too. We are coordinating. These numbers are from memory but should be pretty close.

28# Sporting goods 

56# #T

78# #1

92# #1.5

105# #2

117# BBM

121# adj BBSM

134# #2.5

138# #3

142# adj BBGM

149# #3

153.5# #3

156# BBE

160# adj BBE

165# adj BBE

169# #3.5

173# BBE

176# adj BBSE

179# #3.5

185# adj BBSE

190# adj BBGE

194# #4

199# #4

There may be some others as well that I am not thinking about right now.

If anyone has any questions let me know. Also still not too late to sign up and join us.

Lastly we may do a dinner get together Friday night if people are in town and interested. Let me know if you are.

Thanks,

- Aaron

I remember those #4s. awesome grippers!

• Like 2

As an added bonus, we will reunite the two Inch Dumbbells that reside in the state. After the contest if there are those interested in attempting a double lift, they may do so.

• Like 4

Finished assembling the trophies last night. Shiny! A big thanks to Martin for doing the wood turning on the bases and donating his time and materials.

Entries in and Paid:

Durry Becker

Philip Khoshaba

Martin Braun

Steve Callahan

Tanner Merkle

Brandon Azevedo

Becky Myrick (F)

Michelle Harrison (F)

Bill Cassell

Garrett Smith

Brandon Hall

58dec1bae87ea_17692569_1631486583531600_1831752002_o(1).thumb.jpg.8fa49dd0baef0b77db0f4a92d43d4c90.jpg

Edited by acorn
  • Like 4

On 3/31/2017 at 1:54 PM, acorn said:

A big thanks to Martin for doing the wood turning on the bases and donating his time and materials.

Thank you Aaron for putting on the comp and doing all the other work on the trophies.  I think they are grammy/emmy quality.

• Like 2

The comp went great. I want to  thank everyone who made it out and I will get scores up later today. Was a very tight comp as well between the top 5. Tanner Merkle broke the WR in the 2in FBBC Crusher with 107.5kg. Philip won grippers event with 179# #3.5 close.

Top 5 were

Aaron Corcorran 

Tanner Merkle 

Philip Khoshaba

Martin Braun

Brandon Hall 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, acorn said:

The comp went great. I want to  thank everyone who made it out and I will get scores up later today. Was a very tight comp as well between the top 5. Tanner Merkle broke the WR in the 2in FBBC Crusher with 107.5kg. Philip won grippers event with 179# #3.5 close.

Top 5 were

Aaron Corcorran 

Tanner Merkle 

Philip Khoshaba

Martin Braun

Brandon Hall 

From what I've seen so far, this was truly an impressive comp. I can't wait to see the results.

• Like 2