2016 December - Gripmas Carol - Chris Rice

climber511

2016 - Tenth Annual Gripmas Carol Report

Decisions

I thought long and hard about whether to hold Gripmas this year.  I’m planning a return to climbing for 2017 and my interest in Grip Sport has been declining for several reasons – one of which are various health and injury issues I’ve been having that all my weightlifting hasn’t been kind to lately.  I haven’t done any grip sport training since last year’s Gripmas prep but this year I did manage to do about a dozen training sessions targeting this year’s Gripmas.  Plus I’ve been involved in Grip as a Sport for well over a decade now – the people have changed, friends have come and gone – attitudes have changed – and I have changed.  With about 13 years of Grip and well over 30 years of rock climbing and construction work – my hands are starting to show some wear and tear as well.  Nothing debilitating but they ache a lot.

But a long time ago I promised myself I’d try and compete until I’m 70 and set age group records for that.  Leave a legacy of sorts for old farts to aspire to perhaps.  It’s also a goal to do a 2HP lift at 70 good enough to make the Top 50 list – at 68 so far so good I guess – I made it again this year - barely.  I have managed most of my original Grip “goals” and “feats” list – about the only one remaining is a dead lift of the Inch Dumbbell but without having one I’ve never spent enough time on it to fulfill it.  My best was a few lifts to my knee when I borrowed John Eaton’s one time.  I can live with it this way – no way am I buying an Inch. 

So to make a long story short(er) – the decision was made to have Gripmas again this year.  I don’t think it would have happened except for the chats I had with Nate.

I spent a lot of time figuring out events and I imagine they didn’t suit everyone but that’s the way it is I guess.  I’ve sold almost all my grippers so having them as an event didn’t make any sense – plus I think you all know my thoughts on “nutcracker” style grippers.  Mine is not a very popular stance but it is what it is.  TSGs don’t carry over to any of the things I value in real life.

David Horne’s Euro (it’s important to give David credit I think) is the event I think of as my favorite lift.  I spent a lot of time learning and studying all its nuances as to my personal strengths and weaknesses – the same way so many people have done with grippers.  I struggled with it this year for some reason I have not been able to figure out yet.

Tips Tester – I think it’s one of my better inventions and Gil’s (Barrel Strength) version is better made (and readily available for purchase for training).  I think it tests “finger strength” without back strength and hand size issues better than the Axle DL.  Both are good but I favor the Tips Tester.

THE MEDLEY – it seems the words Gripmas and Medley have become synonymous with each other.  I hope this year’s medley lived up to what people have come to expect.  Medley’s are my favorite event in Grip Sport – they showcase balance and the “all arounder” more so than the specialty lifters – weaknesses show up real quick in a good Medley.

Reverse Bending – it’s been a while since it has been contested and most people didn’t have any real experience with it – and this showed.  Paul Knight was the veteran but Luke Raymond (a total newcomer but with wrists of steel) really put on a clinic here.  I’d like to say my lack of performance here was due to my elbow being jacked up but truth is I simply haven’t trained it for so long I was weak and sucked at it – a very tough fought 420# bar (after failing my first one) where Luke and Paul both broke 500# reverse (think about that – two guys well over 500# - dang!).  Most people have never bent a 500# bar Double Overhand!

Attendance kind of fell apart in the weeks leading up to the contest.  One after another people dropped out – for all kinds of good reasons but still attendance was way down by contest time.  Lots of the regulars couldn’t make it this year and some new comers who expressed interest either never signed up or had to cancel.  A bright spot was Paul Knight showing up out of the blue – a nice surprise (well except for the part where he beat me J).  Two disappointments were when Jedd and Maria had to back out – I had worked up a couple totally sick Medley’s for them to try – no way Jedd was going to get through it this year J

One super huge good thing happened though.  Nate sent down a banner of major proportions showing a picture of my Farmstrength tee shirt with a Santa hat on (thanks Doc and Nick) targeting the Gripmas Carol and with a kilo to pounds conversion chart down both sides – what a present!  It is awesome and was useful as well during the Tips Tester event as we were using Gils competition plates that are in Kilos (thanks Gil)!  And a huge Thanks to Nate!  It’s something I’ll be forever grateful for. 

Part 2 forthcoming soon.

• Like 7

The fact that our convos helped convince you is a huge compliment.  

I still am floored I had to miss it.  But, with a little luck...I'll be bringing a brand new Gripster home soon!

I really like the tips tester as well.  

Glad you like the banner.  Having such a blast at Gripmas 15' planted the seed of that idea.  Doc and Nick hooked me up with the image.  BTW... I don't think it would be a big deal to make a new run of those original shirts if there is interest.

As far as the INCH goes...I'm 100% sure that the lift will be yours.  How badass would it be if you lifted the INCH in your own medley? :) 

• Like 3

Thanks Nate - if you feel this belongs in the trip report section - please move it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...