2016 December - Gripmas Carol - Rich Cottrell

richcottrell

This was my second year in a row attending Gripmas, and it was my third competition to date.

Before I get into any “trip report” details I would like to tell all you Gripsters something very important:

Gripmas is a great event, and you should all make plans on trying to get out to a Gripmas if at all possible.

Chris Rice and his wife Teresa are amazing hosts.  While I have already found this grip community to be a very welcoming group, Mr. and Mrs. Rice get top honors for leading the Welcome Wagon.  Additionally, for the past two years, Chris’ son Sean has been the official score keeper and this year one of Chris’ other sons Josh also was there to help.  Josh kept the scores going into the computer and was taking pictures all day.

If you are new to this grip world, while it might seem intimidating to make a trip for a contest, this event is a super open and welcoming event -- no matter your level of grip strength or knowledge of the GripSport.

Now let me get down to my Trip Report.

I was supposed to make the apx 7 hour drive out to Gripmas 2016 (and split the costs) with Nathaniel Brous.  Last year, Nate convinced me to make the trip with him.  At that time, I did not really know Nate, so making such a trip and sharing a hotel room -- with someone you basically did not know-- was a big gamble. 
Huge actually…
Turned out the two of us hit it off right from the start.  It was like we were old friends, and we both had an amazing time at Gripmas last year, so making a return trip to Gripmas in 2016 would only be prevented by the NFL schedule.

As it turned out, once the date for Gripmas 2016 was announced, right away I realized I had a problem.  Disappointing Nate, I had to tell him the Philadelphia Eagles had a game scheduled for the day after Gripmas so I would have work for my “Eagle’s Pregame Live” TV show.  I operate the steadicam camera on that show, so as a freelancer, there is no way I could miss that gig (and that income).  While Nate was disappointed, he understood.

Then the stars realigned for me as the local cable sports channel I work that show for decided only to do their Eagles Pregame show for specific games, and then wouldn’t you know it -- they cancelled their broadcast on Dec. 11th -- so Gripmas 2016 was now ALL SYSTEMS GO!

The plan was for Nathaniel to drive to my house on Friday morning and we would drive out to Ohio together.  We would grab dinner with Gil and Maria once we got to Zanesville, and finally drop by Chris Rice’s house later that night.  Nate was my travel agent and he planned everything and even booked our room. 

Then the day before the trip I got an early afternoon call from Nate with some crazy news.  He was going to have cancel -- as the Stars Aligned for him and his wife this time…
They got a call from their adoption agency and there was a baby coming!

AMAZING news.  I told him not to worry about Gripmas as obviously his world just changed.  He apologized a few times, but if there were ever an acceptable excuse to miss Gripmas, this would have to be top of the list!

Because it was the day before we were supposed to leave, I was already 100% mentally committed to attending Gripmas, so I did not hesitate to tell Nate --and my wife-- that I was still going.   Later that night I was feeling some butterflies anout that decision, as I would now be paying the full price of the trip as well as doing a bunch of solo driving.  Also, my younger brother was going to be in town from Boston, and I was going to miss his visit…

but no matter how guilty I felt, I still got in the car Friday morning.

Nate had made up an awesome surprise gift for Chris Rice so we made plans to meet somewhere between our houses as we live about an hour from each other so at least Nate’s present could make the trip to Gripmas…

Nate did not want to make me drive all the way to his house, but I also felt guilty having Nate do anything -- as his life just got super complicated. 

I had us meet at a coffee shop [closer to my “halfway” then Nate’s] thinking I would get some details on the whole adoption situation, but we were only able to catch up for a few min before Nate had to bolt. 

That was a bummer, but it was obvious Nate has a lot going on right now.

Then I was off for Ohio.  I drove through some snow flurries and wind near Pittsburgh, but the trip was basically 422 miles of uneventful driving.

After checking into the hotel, I was able to grab dinner with Anthony Clarino.  While we have only met a handful of times, we have equally outgoing personalities so it was super cool to hang out with him.

Later we would drive to Chris Rice’s together for a pre-contest visit.

I had texted Mr. Rice after I locked in plans with Anthony, but I never go a reply text from Chris.  Turns out, Chris does not do text messaging.  He uses a flip phone and he does not get text messages on it.  Luckily I also sent him a PM via the gripboard, so at least it was not a total surprise when Anthony and I showed up in Crooksville.

I made sure I handed off Nathaniel’s huge Gripmas banner that he had printed up the moment we got to Chris’s house, and I made sure I sent Nate a picture ASAP.  It was cool to see the surprise on Chris’ face and I am sorry Nate missed it.

If you did not see the picture yet, Nate had a huge plastic tradeshow style banner made up with that famous Chris Rice “Yol Bolsum!” logo of Chris Rice holding a kettle bell overhead in his right hand, and an ice climbing pick ax in his other hand with the mountains behind him.   Nate had someone add a Santa hat to the original design, and he used the Charles Dickens lettering  to say “A Gripmas Carol” on top. Then he had a pair of crossing sledge hammers on the top colored like candy canes, and a pair on the bottom. 

On either side of the banner were KG to pound conversions from 1kg to about 200kg in single KG increments.  The thing was epically huge.  It is at least 10 foot long and maybe 5 feet wide.

While the gift from Nate was a high moment, as Chris and Teresa talked with us about all the people who had to cancel last min [Nate, Jedd, Nick, Andrew Panke, Maria and possible Gil], both Anthony and I started to feel bad about the prospected turnout. 

While spending a few hours with Chris and Teresa was very enjoyable, I have to admit; I felt like there was a real feeling of disappointment for them at the prospects for their Gripmas.

Later Chris, Anthony and I would go out to the gym to hang that monster of a banner.   While I stood on an old rickety wooden ladder on one side, Anthony literally stood on the top of a small fiberglass and metal ladder [not an OSHA approved use].  

Nate had sent me off with both Green and Red sharpies so people could sign the banner… and if Anthony and I were smart, we should have signed the top as it was WAY Up there now.

Chris let us see his euro device and even gave us a mini coaching clinic.

Eventually I ran to my car to get my work in progress “Cine Pinch”. 

A few weeks ago I had Chris Rice watch my original Lego youtube video of this idea, and right away he had asked me to bring my kid’s Lego version to Gripmas. 

Chris was very encouraging on the concept of the design from the start and I was so excited someone of his knowledge and experience thought there were some good ideas, that I was motivated to build something we could actually put weights on. 
[Two other guys also helped me with motivation and ideas:  Thank you Aaron Corcorran and Adam Juncker]

I had both Anthony and Chris try the Cine Pinch a few different ways.  It was cool to hear their input on the design in the different configurations, and I have to say I am still very excited about the implement.

Antony and I stayed longer they we planned to but it was an amazing time.  On the way back to the hotels we almost contacted Gil to find out definitely if he would be able to attend or not, but Anthony smartly said,

“Lets keep it a surprise.”

to be continued...

• Like 5

chris 1c.jpgchris 2b.jpg

• Like 5

Ditto to what everything Rich said about Gripmas.  Gotta make it happen guys...looks like there are only 2 more!

Splitting the costs with a Gripster makes it much more affordable and keep the wives happier. ;) 

• 1 month later...

• 4 months later...

....it is amazing how some things can just keep getting put off to do later, day after day, week after week, month after month...
and then, finally...
 they never happen...

I was just telling someone yesterday that I still need to finish this trip report, and his reply was, "I KNOW!"
----Thank you Mr. Ambassador.

ok point taken, and it has been taken to our resolution team for a full investigation...

I will try to get back to this soon.  I will keep this on my  Do List with the following warning from Pat Croce's Book:

"Tomorrow is too late.  Tomorrow is unacceptable.  Tomorrow is the lazy man's greatest labor saving device."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richcottrell said:

....it is amazing how some things can just keep getting put off to do later, day after day, week after week, month after month...
and then, finally...
 they never happen...

I was just telling someone yesterday that I still need to finish this trip report, and his reply was, "I KNOW!"
----Thank you Mr. Ambassador.

ok point taken, and it has been taken to our resolution team for a full investigation...

I will try to get back to this soon.  I will keep this on my  Do List with the following warning from Pat Croce's Book:

"Tomorrow is too late.  Tomorrow is unacceptable.  Tomorrow is the lazy man's greatest labor saving device."

I've been meaning to ask if you did anything with all that footage you too. I would like to see video of the medley runs for sure. Especially Chris'.

Gil,
I did not do anything with that footage, but it still is on a archived tape.  

That said, I did make a real stupid mistake that Dec day.  That camera I used can shoot in standard definition video as well as HiDef.  I bought it when my first son was born.  While I had a better $4000 prosumer camera at the time, that one only shot standard definition so I wanted something that did HD.  Our kids will see everything at such higher resolutions then us, so I wanted to protect my son's early videos for the future.

But a month or so before Gripmas, a friend asked me to shoot something for him and I brought both cameras.  He wanted two camera coverage so I switched the "Kids" camera to shoot in SD.

Stupidly, i never switched it back, so everything I shot at grips was in the lower resolution of standard definition.

44 minutes ago, richcottrell said:

Gil,
I did not do anything with that footage, but it still is on a archived tape.  

That said, I did make a real stupid mistake that Dec day.  That camera I used can shoot in standard definition video as well as HiDef.  I bought it when my first son was born.  While I had a better $4000 prosumer camera at the time, that one only shot standard definition so I wanted something that did HD.  Our kids will see everything at such higher resolutions then us, so I wanted to protect my son's early videos for the future.

But a month or so before Gripmas, a friend asked me to shoot something for him and I brought both cameras.  He wanted two camera coverage so I switched the "Kids" camera to shoot in SD.

Stupidly, i never switched it back, so everything I shot at grips was in the lower resolution of standard definition.

It's cool that they are SD. I still want to see some of the footage if you get time to upload any of it. I bet the other guys would love to as well.

Probably my internet but the HD videos are usually jerky or stop and go - so i like the standard version.

• 1 month later...

The ghost of Gripmas Past
(part 2 of 3)

I forget much of the details of the morning of the contest,  but one solid memory is this:  After talking with Anthony the night before, I decided to check out of the hotel the morning of the competition.  While the original plan was to stay there the night of competition as well, now that the trip was a solo trip, the new  plan was to make the long drive home after the competition ended.  I would not get home till between 2-4am but the idea was to try to save a buck.   I could always check back into the same hotel if I changed my mind. 

So after checking out, on the final drive to Chris’ I made sure I filled the car up with gas and bought some fitness bars for my own “meals on wheels” in preparation for a marathon driving session.

Being my second time going to Gripmas and my 4th time driving into Crooskville, the last leg of the drive  now takes on a nostalgic feel for me.  It reminds me of where my mother grew up in coal country Pennsylvania.  My grandfather was the town butcher, and they lived above the small towns grocery store which they operated.

Crooksville always feels small and quiet, and the Rice’s family kitchen always seems to leave me feeling wam inside [and a little nostalgic as it reminds me on my mother’s childhood home].   

As I walked into Chris Rice’s kitchen, it was already filling up.  Nick and Anthony were there already I think.  Not sure who was there first actually, but we were all happy to see that Gil did make the trip after all.     

Actually, there was a funny moment as I made sure I reintroduced myself to Josh Henze as he walked in with his wife.  He gave me this big “I know who you are”.  It has become a running gag.  I am extremely bad at remembering names, so I try to reintroduce myself to people by re-stating my name just in case they do not remember my name.  Now this has become a running joke for Josh. 

Later some other guy casually walked in.  I had never met him before, but I knew of the legend Mr. Paul Knight.

Except for not knowing Paul Knight there was only one guy there who I never met before; Jason Gonzalez.  I can not even touch upon how cool that cat is.  Jason had won the open class of the Living Legends contest but that was about all I knew about him.  It was a real pleasure meeting him, and once we were into the competition he was very helpful with offering tips and advise.

I can not say I had a good competition.   Going into the competition,  my finger injury still hurt from that stupid night of too much booze and some barehanded attempts to bend a 60D nail past parallel.  Also, I was basically not doing any grip training so by the end of the second event my lower arms were already feeling toasted.

I placed last in the euro,
last in the tips tester,
last in the medley,
and last in the bending. 

My low numbers all around can be blamed not training but my finger was very unhappy before the medley.  I should have been able to at least pick up 1 point for the fingertip pull ups and might have even been able to do the Campus Board leap, but just trying to hang on that campus board had my injured finger screaming NOOOOOOOOOO.

The bending was the most fun for me.  I never really did the reverse style before, so I did not know where my strength would be.  Chris had some 60D nails to give people an idea where they were at.  I only got a slight wobble/kink out of one so I was a little worried. 

After talking with Anthony I picked a 330lb piece from the FBBC supplied stock.  That melted 90deg! 

For my second piece I tried a 355lb 17/64” piece from EJ’s supplied stock.  I only wobbled that one.
That stupid finger was hurting, but the vibe of the bending was great.  We were bending in waves of 3 or 4 guys at a time.   It was first time I had been part of something like that.  While I had some nervousness with reverse style, the group effort help add courage and fuel the fire.

I did not take my third attempt so I could rest up a little for my 4th.  I can not remember what my options were, but I think I could have gone for something just 5 pounds more then that bar I had destroyed, or a 345lb 17/64” from EJ’s stock.  I went for the bigger of the two.

That 345lb bar did kink after a few hits but not enough to count as being bent.

Being last in bending is one thing, but realizing Paul bent a bar 200lbs more then my 330lb is just mind numbing.   I was not depressed about my bending or anything.  I was just completely humbled...

[end of part 2]

IMG_2594.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG

Edited by richcottrell
  • Like 4