South Jersey 4 (Saturday, July 15th)

anwnate

1 minute ago, Anthony C. said:

The neighbors will not be happy tho

Most are friendly and won't have a problem with it.  

The neighbor across the street may be annoyed...and they can piss off. :) 

• Like 3

If he complains you can make choking him the surprise 4th grip event

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Geralt said:

If he complains, direct him to me or my wife. I only speak Dutch. Que? :blink

I vote for this option!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

With the holidays..not too much going on with the contest at the moment.

Still talking to prospective "non-grip" sponsors.  Got a lot of "maybe's" which is much better than "hell no's."

Tagging on to Cottrell's order...I finally got an official horne top shallow hub.  That'll show up in the medley for sure.

Also picked up a bunch of DH Half Penny Training Tools to give away as door prizes.  Just a little added fun for cheap. :) 

Also...Kody Burns contacted me and became an official "Maybe."  

I'm heading back down to a Philly Scrap Metal place to find a few challenge items for he and Jedd. ;) 

half penny.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

SJ4 update

Got a couple of packages filled with July 15th prizes

Sweet Muscle T's (S,M,L,XL) direct from the Gripboard.

And...from SJ4 Sponsor... Barrel Strength Systems... (big TY's @Squeezus)

a Dubhub, 

Dexterity Balls,

5 T-shirts (S,M,L,XL,XXL),

and bottles of white lightning.

20170207_134057.jpg20170207_134608.jpg

• Like 6

Just got word that we have an addition to the "definite" list.

Attending (barring act of god)

Andrade, Christopher

Andrade, Anthony

Bascetta, Maria

Butler, Tim

Cabrera, Jose

Carter, Delmar

Chakir,  Mo

Clarino,  Anthony

Collen, Kevin

Cottrell, Rich

Donati,  Carl

Edwards,  Amber

Fleming, Dan

Goodman, Gil

Gougen, Jared

Henze, Josh

Hulshof,  Geralt

Hunt,  Matthew

Kapusta, Shawn

Livesey,  E.J.

Matney, Justin  ...newly added.  Making the 500 mile trip.  I'm gonna make sure it's worth it. 

Phillips, Mike

Rabich, Michael

Retarides, James

Ricchezza, Cesare "Chez"

Scibelli,  Andrew

Scibelli,  Tom

Scibelli, Jacob

Smitley,  Don

Torrella,  Anton

Vasaturo, Anthony

Wojciechowski, John

• Like 3

@anwnate I think you forgot to add my name to the list. I'm going to be there!

• Like 3

On 2/8/2017 at 6:04 PM, John McCarter said:

@anwnate I think you forgot to add my name to the list. I'm going to be there!

@John McCarter...I had you under the "possibly" category.  

I just moved you to the "Attending" list. Nice!  

Damn...this is going to be a very special comp.

Attending (barring act of god)

Andrade, Christopher

Andrade, Anthony

Bascetta, Maria

Butler, Tim

Cabrera, Jose

Carter, Delmar

Chakir,  Mo

Clarino,  Anthony

Collen, Kevin

Cottrell, Rich

Donati,  Carl

Edwards,  Amber

Fleming, Dan

Goodman, Gil

Gougen, Jared

Henze, Josh

Hulshof,  Geralt

Hunt,  Matthew

Kapusta, Shawn

Livesey,  E.J.

Matney, Justin

McCarter, John   ...newly added.  Making the 975 mile trip.  An honor sir.  I hope to heck you are flying. :) 

Phillips, Mike

Rabich, Michael

Retarides, James

Ricchezza, Cesare "Chez"

Scibelli,  Andrew

Scibelli,  Tom

Scibelli, Jacob

Smitley,  Don

Torrella,  Anton

Vasaturo, Anthony

Wojciechowski, John

Probably attending

Haack, Frank

Johnson, Jedd

Maizels, Brixton

Maizels, Patrick

Maizels, Patty

Manna,  John

Sundin, Bob

Possibly attending (Official Maybe)

Branson, Nic

Burgos, Brian

Burns,  Kody

Cashman, Sean

Corcorran, Aaron

Deluca, Frank

Jennings, Tommy

Labbe, David

Miller, Robert

Mitti, David

Otto, Jason

Rice, Chris

Schoeck, Chris

Sharkey, Mike

Steeves, Jason

Attending Status unknown

Cannon, Matt???

Edwards, Ben???

Johnson, Scott???

Kessler, Gary???

Koenig, Jor-el???

Koenig, Josh???

Pantke, Andrew???

Roussin, Eric???

Can't make it

Krahling,  Mike   can't make it

Raymond, Lucas   can't make it

Reinard, Daniel   can't make it

• Like 1

It was a maybe at first. I changed my mind when I realized this is going to be one contest I do not want to miss out on.

• Like 1

Besides Nate's close proximity to this event :) , and then Mohamed, I might live the closest.  That said, this one is going to be epic so I just booked my room for July 15th!

Edited by richcottrell
  • Like 2

I asked Mr. Brous if it would be ok to post a few pictures of some stuff I am making. He said to go ahead. That sort of thing "helps generate interest and excitement".

Really!?! Does anybody think SJ4 needs to generate more interest and excitement?!?

There is something to be said for the people involved in Gripsport and the grip community. Every one of my bizarre requests to different people, have been met with an "Absolutely, how can I help?" response. It always amazing.

Tonight's teaser photo was made possible with the kind assistance of cannon powerworks.

0213172211.jpg

• Like 5

Literally just booked the hotel room Nate. You are only around 2 hrs away and in the past for an event this close I would wake up early to make the drive the morning of the comp but I wanted to be well rested for this one (not a morning person). Really looking forward to this event. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

IMPORTANT UPDATE!  

We have a change of venue for the IM Certs and the "Sanctioned Contest".  The rest of the comp (eating, medley, bending, hanging) will still be done at my house (close by).  @Jedd Johnson, please let me know if I have to do anything in regards to the sanctioning (besides informing you).  

Due to probable high attendance...I bit the bullet and rented out the "Meeting Room" at the Local Best Western that has offered a SJ4 group rate.

It's 0.8 miles from my house...and the contest room is right next door to the Breakfast Area (free for guests).

The Best Western   98 Friars Blvd, Thorofare, NJ 08086

Hotel Direct Number

856/848-4111  (Ask for the SJ4 rate for either July 14, July 15 or both)

If you need two beds...make sure you ask for the rooms with "two Queens."  These have been recently renovated. :)

Its a basic hotel...here's a pic.

20170212_141929.jpg

Guys...there is no penalty for backing out of a room, so if there is a good chance you will bunk there, please reserve one now.  On the off chance that more rooms need to be set aside, we will know that in advance.  I know it's 5 months away, but because of the close proximity to Philly...this hotel is usually booked throughout July.

The meeting room is 28x48.  Here's a diagram of what it will look like.

Vertical 2.jpg

We will be running Tom's and my setups (modified to exact kilos), with calibrated Rogue plates.  One will start low and the other high.  There will be a total of 4 (2 heavy and 2 lighter) warmup stations with a flask and 2.5" Crusher...along with non-calibrated plates.  TY to Chez, Josh, Anton and Tank for letting the event borrow their equipment. :bow

While the diagram does not show it...there will be an additional table with warm-up grippers...all CPW rated (like the comp grippers).  We will have access to additional chairs if needed (spectators are welcome of course).  Alcohol is not permitted in the meeting room.  Feel free after lunch at my place.

I want to thank @JHenze646 for his very specific suggestions on the layout.  They ended up being very helpful.

On 2/13/2017 at 10:43 PM, JHenze646 said:

I asked Mr. Brous if it would be ok to post a few pictures of some stuff I am making. He said to go ahead. That sort of thing "helps generate interest and excitement".

Really!?! Does anybody think SJ4 needs to generate more interest and excitement?!?

There is something to be said for the people involved in Gripsport and the grip community. Every one of my bizarre requests to different people, have been met with an "Absolutely, how can I help?" response. It always amazing.

Tonight's teaser photo was made possible with the kind assistance of cannon powerworks.

Very cool Josh.  I look forward to seeing what you share.

BTW...there can never be enough interest and excitement. :)  I'm looking at this as a "go all out" contest and encourage the entire community to use this opportunity to meet each other in person.  I've got quite a few surprises in store...a few of them will be teased out on this thread.

On 2/14/2017 at 10:41 AM, Chez said:

Literally just booked the hotel room Nate. You are only around 2 hrs away and in the past for an event this close I would wake up early to make the drive the morning of the comp but I wanted to be well rested for this one (not a morning person). Really looking forward to this event. 

Sweet!  I think the competition is going to be fiercely fought at EVERY weight class...yours no exception. ;) 

On 2/13/2017 at 0:58 PM, richcottrell said:

Besides Nate's close proximity to this event :) , and then Mohamed, I might live the closest.  That said, this one is going to be epic so I just booked my room for July 15th!

I'm pretty sure @Matthew Hunt is second closest, but the fact you booked a room makes you infinitely cooler.  That means you ain't going home early. :cool

• Like 2

No changes are necessary based on the venue change, my man.  But thanks for checking.

• Like 1

Nate, I really don't think you are putting in enough time and effort to prepare for this comp.................:laugh:blink 

• Like 5

Each time I think this event can't get more exciting, it does!

• Like 3

Josh...that is too cool.  :rock

• Like 1

Im possibly attending.  I should be settled in my new home before then and im it itching to hang with grip folk.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Im in barring act of god, or wife 🤣

That is like the same thing to a married man 😜

• Like 4

There has been a suggestion that @Anthony C. bring his squat stands and Oly bar to SJ4 so competitors can do squats as a CNS warm up for grippers.

Since I would love to see everyone operating at peak efficiency, I think this is a good idea for those who use this type of warmup.

We'll have plenty of weight in the warm up areas, so as long as we arrange the mats for "just in case", we should be good to go.

As the person responsible for the meeting room, I'd really appreciate if people spot so there are no drops.

• Like 2