anwnate

News flash...

Richard Sorin is coming to SJ4!

...YUP!

20151017_185228.jpg

• Like 16

On 7/3/2017 at 6:08 PM, KapMan said:

We can have beer at the contest?😈

Alcohol is not permitted in the event room at the hotel.  

However, it is permitted in the Brous House gym...provided you semi-keep your wits about you.  Otherwise we keep feeding you blobs until one lands on your foot.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, anwnate said:

Alcohol is not permitted in the event room at the hotel.  

Thats really unamerican. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KapMan said:

Thats really unamerican. 

Did I hear something about a hotel parking lot tailgate warmup party?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, richcottrell said:

I like where your head is at. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, richcottrell said:

Crap! You beat me to the tailgate party line ;)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, richcottrell said:

You glorious bastard! 

Last official "SJ4 Friday Update."

Much is going on behind the scenes.  I'm hesitant to share too much and thereby take away too many surprises that will add to the "wow" factor.  I'm going to keep this update to less revealing details.

Numbers appear steady.  We have lost (Grrrr!) and gained contestants at a similar rate.  I would say that mid-fifties looks to be where we end up.

That should pretty much double the largest North American Contest ever thrown (Nats. 13'  with 27). Regardless of exactly where, it will be historic.

I'm honored by the response and hope to realize both my vision and competitors expectations for the event.

Yesterday, I spent time with our resident Cameraman Mr. Cottrell in the Event Room itself.  He looks at things with a different perspective than the average joe and made several suggestions.  These issues will be addressed and the comp will be that much better for it.  Thanks Rich!

With the help of my "red shirt" volunteers, I feel confident that the sanctioned contest will run relatively smoothly.  I believe the hotel event room is JUST big enough to accommodate this part.  While half the numbers the room is rated for, we won't all be sitting at tables and chairs like and insurance company.

Hopefully the only complaint about the comp will be the lack of space at my house.  While a decent size, 40 would be tight, and 55 is going to be crowded.  At no point did I want to cut off the numbers and deny anyone from experiencing the event.  Barring hitting the Lottery, I won't be going this big again, and frankly, this has almost turned into a Grip Reunion.  I mean…how awesome is it going to be to meet all these people?  Unfortunately it will be predictably hot that day (89…real feel 99) so expanding to the deck seems iffy.  I will be setting up a 10x20' tent on it with "mist"ers to attempt to make an area that can be usable.

We can fit the numbers in the basement if people remain seated and watching the medley, otherwise we may simply have run it in two waves.  Regardless, I'm planning on doing the awards there as it is a larger space…and air-conditioned.  Doing the awards at the hotel was an option, but I'd rather people start FEASTING immediately, while the room is broken down and scores are tabulated.  Plus, there won't be any waiting to start the medley as everyone should be at the house.

There has been some low level grumbling about the medley setup/scoring, but I do think that my choices here will bear out.  I've employed a K.I.S.S concept with it to deal with the enormous number of contestants.  Yes, 60 seconds is a SPRINT, but I've never been one to worry that someone gets a perfect score.  I like it when it's possible, but don't feel it's a necessity.  I do think it's going to be a LOT of fun and is hopefully challenging (but not impossible) for both the heavier and lighter tracks.  There are of course a number of people who are "stuck in the middle", but this will essentially happen regardless of the set-up. 

If you stay for all of it, it will be a long (but epic) day.  Josh Henze has created some awesome and one of a kind trophies.  If you are skilled enough to take one home, you will be celebrating winning at the largest single-venue Grip Contest Ever (in North America).

That, my friends…is pretty cool.

Untitled.jpg

@James Retarides,

• Like 5

Medley info...

Medley is a SPRINT.  30 implements...1 minute long.

Scoring is 1 point per lift.

There is a 15' long platform (lighter/heavier per side), and a separate (connected) area for lockout lifts.

As Chez pointed out, this will lead to everyone doing the easier things first.

However...I'm making an effort to line things up roughly according to difficulty.

This should get rid of most back and forth time-burning.

We have 50+ people competing on the same medley set-up.

If we are efficient, we will get it done in under 2 hours.

It's a long day, and this will allow us to move forward to bending, feats and fun.

There will be a separate trophy and awards for the Medley.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anwnate said:

As Chez pointed out, this will lead to everyone doing the easier things first.

Nate isn't giving all the information here. I basically called him an idiot. :laugh 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

Nate isn't giving all the information here. I basically called him an idiot. :laugh 

...and I basically ignored him. :) 

• Like 3

I had a few things I was thinking about bringing to trade or sell. Is there anybody else interested in setting up a SJ4 swap meet of sorts?

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

I had a few things I was thinking about bringing to trade or sell. Is there anybody else interested in setting up a SJ4 swap meet of sorts?

Yeah i have 3 35lb olympic plates id like to offload. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KRC said:

Yeah I have a lot of rated grippers id be happy to trade for steel or armwrestling accessories.  

Pokemon cards good? 

1 hour ago, KapMan said:

Pokemon cards good? 

Clearly only Yugi-Oh. What are you, a child?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

Clearly only Yugi-Oh. What are you, a child?

My holographic mew tew is on fleek

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KapMan said:

Yeah i have 3 35lb olympic plates id like to offload. 

Good hubs?

I've got a

176! MM2 CPW and a..

203 SE CPW, I'm looking to offload.

Also a XL supersquats belt.
BTW...I'm looking for a Half 30 and Half 25 York Dumbbell to round out my blob collection.  

Also a CPW 30-31 Guide to complete my Grippers low end.  Honestly I'd like a 33, but don't think they exist.

If no trades...I'd be willing to let them go cheap.  Sitting around isn't help me or the implement.

20170708_090744.jpg

I still have an unopened TRX Force Training system 

6 hours ago, anwnate said:

I've got a

176! MM2 CPW and a..

203 SE CPW, I'm looking to offload.

Also a XL supersquats belt.
BTW...I'm looking for a Half 30 and Half 25 York Dumbbell to round out my blob collection.  

Also a CPW 30-31 Guide to complete my Grippers low end.  Honestly I'd like a 33, but don't think they exist.

If no trades...I'd be willing to let them go cheap.  Sitting around isn't help me or the implement.

20170708_090744.jpg

SS belt and 203 SE are spoken for.

Mutant 176 MM2 still wants a home.

MM2 adopted.

My job is done here.

• Like 1