Our improved pinch training device

richcottrell

I built one!

This was a fun little build and I'm ready thinking of the next one.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Jared Goguen said:

I built one!

This was a fun little build and I'm ready thinking of the next one.

This is awesome. Id totally refinance my house for this🤣 

• Like 2

I would like to thank Adam and Jared for not just attempting to make a CinePinch, but they both have kept the pledge to keep this an Open Source Idea.  
They have both tested and played around with the idea, and they have both let us all see what they have come up with so far.  
It was extremely exciting when Adam first built one so quickly, and then he so quickly built a second variation with his new ideas for thick bar work.  That never even crossed my mind.  That was cool.

Aaron gets some major props too, as he put some ideas into my head for my second design.  I think that trapeze part might be more important then the whole parallelogram which got me started on this idea and gave me the name CinePinch in the first place

And now we have Jared's beefy version.  No offense to Adam, but Jared's looks so very polished for something that Jared called something he slapped together from his scrap pile.  Those various trapeze thumb attachments look great.  Again, I never thought about thick grip work when I first introduced my ideas, but those square tube attachments seem interesting.  

I have to say, it is sooooo cool to see these functional steel tools, when originally I was building in LEGO!
 (The sad thing is, last week I was playing with my kids' Tinker Toys to try out another idea...)

It is great that we have some people in our grip world that can bust out a welder and just make this stuff.
That said, and because I am no grip mutant, my wooden hybrid CinePinch variation does work surprisingly well.  I say that because I am sure there are people who might have interesting ideas, yet they have not tried to test them yet…
Here is the version I brought with me to Gripmas2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivE-s7e4APU

Finally we have Josh.  I still do not know how to implement his idea, but he might be onto something…

While the CinePinch -- via three different yet fully executed designs (Adam's, Jared's and mine) -- proves itself over the TTK,  it still does still have some weakness that maybe a whole new thing could solve.

For example, Jared has pointed out to me there is still one drawback, with the CinePinch:
It  still must be put on a bench or table in order to be used.

This is very true, and in the versions that Adam, Jared and I built you still are locked into having your palms twisted face up which is not 100% natural feeling...

Maybe Josh’s idea of a pinch tower or something that could be rigidly attached to a squat rack might be the direction to look at.

• Like 3

With @JHenze646's design I have been trying to reconcile the movement of the fulcrum with a small cardboard mock up. I will try to get some pictures of this later in the week.

Right now the finger side moves vertically when the device is pinched. This can be fixed by making the parellelogram horizontal but this complicates either the grip surface or the weight attachment or both.

Ergonomically, I imagine that Josh's design will be better if I can figure out how to make it work. I'm still fleshing it out but I'll try to update as I figure it out.

• Like 3

Here is something that hit me right after my reply. Just a picture for now.20170413_112638.thumb.jpg.288afa4b8f1722f055ac64d4b0b765b2.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Have a new and simple way to limit the distance my CinePinch opens.   Just uses a cut prices of wood and a mini c-clamp:

75D9F8D9-D993-4995-93DD-16ABB81845A7.jpeg

C64B3A19-D7FA-40CD-A325-1F94355591BE.jpeg

8D2020B5-9EC4-45AE-B688-99D266F53BC5.jpeg

Edited by richcottrell
  • Like 3

Some great work / ideas here guys, I love the idea of Lego prototypes :)

One question is regarding thumb action, when I watch the Lego device being used; the thumb moves relative to the hand, whereas some of the steel build demos seem to have the thumb locked in place with most movement being in the fingers (relative to the hand): is this a technique issue or is it a consequence of using 'weight' (of course the Lego prototype does not involve any real amount of weight).

My thought is if the thumb moves relative to the hand while moving a challenging weight the result will be superior (strength and hypertrophy) as the other style is somewhat akin to isometrics for the thumb (as it is with  pinch blocks).

Comments?

15 hours ago, Cannon said:

Love that design man!  @richcottrell

Actually, I can only take credit for some of the original ideas; as the design of that CinePinch in my last pictures was made for me by Adam Juncker.  As a matter of fact, Adam made this for me without my knowledge and it was a gift he presented to me at the SJ4 this past summer.  Beside that, Adam had even made me three different trapeze for it [the round one in the picture, as well as the flat style as the first design used and a thick bar style based on the ideas that Adam was developing].

Sometimes this grip community is amazing!

Here is what I can say about Adam's version that he gave me:
Firstly:
This thing is overbuilt!  
Adam used some thick steel, and with the light weights I have used with it, i think he could have uses smaller gage steel and I still think it would have worked just fine.  
The cotter pin makes changing the various trapeze very easy, and while they all work great, i think I like the round one best.  

Sadly, with the many distractions of my personal life and my family [three boys  9, 6 and 5] I really let myself neglect my own training.  That said, when I do use this Cinepinch (or Cinne Pinch as Adam likes to call it), the device rests on a cheap ButcherBlock cabinet from Ikea which  sits in my office/gym.  This places the device 35.5 inches off the ground which seems to fit me very well [I am about 5'8" without my shoes on]

This version uses the more simple version of the CinePinch design -- with the weights traveling in a arc much like the original Tetting Telegraph pinch device used.

I like to use it both with two hands and one.  Obviously when I use one hand the weights are lower, but when doing one had work I like to stand perpendicular to the device or at least partially on an angle.  

I can not thank Adam enough for building me this.

rich

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1