Our improved pinch training device

richcottrell

I wanted to introduce you to a new take on a Pinch Training Device. 

Something that is weight loadable so it is progressive in resistance, but also something that uses new ideas to avoid some of the flaws in existing dynamic pinch training devices.

Here is a video showing the idea behind my design, which I have started calling "The CinePinch":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiTWu_u3Lyg

One thing the video does not talk about is how to get one.  Here is how to get one:

First off, I will not be selling these.  I am not into that type of business; I am simply not interesting in working that hard.

Instead, I want this to be an “open source” design.  That means I will not be patenting the design just to sell the concept to some company to make a buck.  I will not be licensing this idea for profits.

Instead, I want anyone to have the ability to make one for themselves, or to hire someone to make them one.  Also, companies like FBBC, Barrel Strength, StrongerGrip, World of Grip, IronMind, Sorinex, etc are able to take this idea and try to sell them; or any GripBoard member is also able to try to make one for either personal use or to try to sell them to make a reasonable profit for their efforts.

By keeping this Open Source, everyone is able to take the idea and change it around and experiment a little.

Consider this the Pinewood Derby of the Gripboard, as there are so many little tweaks possible in this simple design, that one person could easily make one better then another -- or faster, or simpler, or cheaper.  Also, another person (or company’s) improvement on the previous generation could advance the idea even further for everyone’s mutual benefit.

My only request:
I wish anyone trying to make a buck off selling this design the best of luck to you and your family, but you are REQUIRED to pledge to also keep the Open Source spirit of this idea. 
If you come up with a small improvement on this, let other people experiment with it as well.  Please do not become the next someone who is not an active participant on the board, gouging people or selling it as their own.

There is more pride in membership, then there is in ownership; and ideas can be shared in our small yet growing community.

I have already gotten some real great feedback on this design from some people in the grip community as well as some in other areas of Health and Wellness. 

Lets make this a thread for people to update us on there success --or failure-- in making one other these types of equipment.  

I have already thought of a few ways to make it better, and some to make it simpler.  It probably could be functional if made of wood, so home construction should be accessible.   Also, it might work as a bolt together design so shipping costs could be lowered.

I should probably refer to the origiolnide as the CinePinchOne as I am sure WE will come up with some cool updates as we refine and improve this simple design.  

Good luck

• Like 13

Cool post, I'll try to get a video of the CP v1.0 tonight to describe it's strengths and areas for improvement.

For those that did not see my log, I made one of these based on Rich's idea. i used it last night and it is awesome - but I would like to hear what some others think.

Here be some visual representashun of said device:

20161123_174409.jpg20161123_220240.jpg

As said, live action video coming soon.

Edited by Adam Juncker
Stoopid phone
  • Like 9

Here you go.

First off, this is just a prototype - but I trained with it last night and like it.

I do not have the time nor the desire to make these for retail sales. the design is simple enough and I am more than happy to discuss specifics of building it. Moving parts can be difficult to build and machine, so this could be rather time consuming for one of our vendors to make (more expensive).

I would like to reserve the right to build a few of these as gifts (one person in mind already actually).

The point of the video is to discuss the functionality and get a conversation started about how to make this better/simpler/whatever.

• Like 6

What ratio is this device ? Like vs the TTK is 4-1 ratio

Nice prototype. I've got access to the machining needed to make it, I'll have to come up with a full set of drawings for the shop. Guarantee something will be made as I want one of those. :D

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Roger Roberson said:

I think a 2 to 1 ratio is the way to go.  

Actually after Adam Junker jumped right into making the first functioning CinePinch he inspired me.  

I have no access to welding or a metal shop but it was so cool to see his functioning less then a week from putting the idea out there!

so what did i do? I build the most crude version with what little scraps of wood I could find in my house, and get this... for the base I took apart my Warren Tetting TTK, and used the bottom part as the base.

i will post pictures tomorrow, and if we all get lucky, it's going to be a rainy day on my day off so I will not have to spend it raking leaves.  Instead I can finish this prototype in wood.

otherwise I can show you my retrofitted Tetting TTK  to a CinePinch. 

Edited by richcottrell

Great thinking Rich and very impressive prototype Adam!   I set out the TTK on Saturday with the intent to train on it at the end of practice. Now i remember why I use it so little; it is almost impossible to find an ergonomically-beneficial angle and it always feels like the injury risk outweighs any benefit.

• Like 3

I never liked the TTK and sold the one I made quickly.  I've made a couple different "moving pinch" setups but the one I have used for years now is the David Horne "Tombstone" - does he even make that anymore?  This idea "looks like" it might just be the answer.

• Like 3

On 11/28/2016 at 3:21 AM, Roger Roberson said:

The device in the video measures:

15" from fulcrum to weights

5.5" from fulcrum to thumb pad

Which is about 3:1

I think I said in the video 4:1 but that was just the welding fumes talking 

• Like 2

I used the CP in training again tonight and came up with another variation on its use.

I placed two old collars between the handles, which measure 2.25", load the thing up really heavy, use both hands to get it closed and then try to hold it closed with one hand for time:

20161129_205616.jpg

And in response to @richcottrell and @Jared Goguen, my idea for a thick-bar attachment:

CP Thick Bar.png

Try to contain your laughter about my photo-shop skillz...

I think this could only be used as a static hold, and not a dynamic movement.

Just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks...

Edited by Adam Juncker
  • Like 6

Sorry for the delay, I shot a video yesterday, but I am just posting it now...
Here is a crude retrofit of my Warren Tetting style TTK using scrap wood to make the  CinePinch

I already have a revised model, but this gives you an idea of where things are going...
Too bad I can not weld like Adam, and Jared but the wood version works for me -- considering I am not a grip mutant like some of your guys... 

have at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3b5pRt1q-M

• Like 6

-

Edited by Adam Juncker

7 hours ago, richcottrell said:

Sorry for the delay, I shot a video yesterday, but I am just posting it now...
Here is a crude retrofit of my Warren Tetting style TTK using scrap wood to make the  CinePinch

I already have a revised model, but this gives you an idea of where things are going...
Too bad I can not weld like Adam, and Jared but the wood version works for me -- considering I am not a grip mutant like some of your guys... 

have at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3b5pRt1q-M

Once again you have outdone yourself and simplified the design . 

• Like 2

I won't have time or material to realize my ideas. I will make a sketch with my bad drawing skillz later.

We should open source more ideas. This is awesome.

• Like 2

Mine is a bit different in design than the cinepinch but yeah I like the round section much better than flat for thumb tip. Here is a pic of Martin using my prototype when he came down recently. 

- Aaron

15196101_1481692421844351_549196170437828200_o.jpg

• Like 4

I did get a chance to get some better wood (cut off ends of Oak and Ash) from the local lumbar yard so i have a better working version of both the CinePinch and the CircusPinch.   I will try to shoot a video late tonight after work.  

But one small update allows you to limit the ROM very easily to work partial movements.   It's just a simple pin system on the center mast.  Unlike Adam's idea with the collars to work a partial close, I was thinking about limiting how far the device opens.  ( with the idea of maybe only working the last 1/3 of the close).  Then you could garentee that you would not hyperextend your thumb. 

Here are some screen grabs from yesterday's failed video...

image.png

image.png

Edited by richcottrell
  • Like 4

Ok go easy on me, I am just a hack. I have no background in drawing, design, or construction. This idea might not even work.  

One of the downsides to pinch trainers like this to me is the set up. I have to stack a few things up and then still bend awkwardly to be in the right position.

When Mr. Contrell put forward the idea of the "parallelogram" design I thought of it working in the below manner. Obviously this wouldn't be a mass production design. However It could be modified to mount into or on other equipment like a gripper machine or power rack. 

All components lengths would require experimentation to reach the desired performance. 

1202161857.jpg

1202161857a.jpg

• Like 1

I think Josh's idea is just the stuff I wanted to see come out of an "open source" idea.   While I did not get a chance to try his idea out yet --even with the Legos-- I think It is a cool idea.  Not sure when I will get back to building something completely new... But maybe someone can try to implement Josh's "Pinch Tower" idea and play around with his idea of a vertical device.

Right now I am playing around with simplification of my original idea.   Here is a round thumb trapeze built very easily with two eye bolts:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by richcottrell
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Rebuilt the pinch device the other day, and added the thickbar attachment:

20170202_204551.thumb.jpg.db219c4bf3fe920fcb4f51a777158a25.jpg

The new is in front. I made this one a little longer and with a 2/1 ratio instead of a 3/1. Also made the fulcrum arms differently to conserve metal. 

20170202_204701.thumb.jpg.65e599e01ec7df4ce0c43220425f28a9.jpg

The coolest part is that the gripping surfaces can be interchanged

20170202_205142.thumb.jpg.aa5db6a0ee478d5729b72f64441466e4.jpg

Which gives you a cool surface to pump up the thumb. Static holds at heavy weights are pretty intense. 20170202_205305.thumb.jpg.ff7104571c87708bb3e3dee7e50f960d.jpg

I think it could work really well as a dynamic move too but I have not trained it. 

20170202_205343.thumb.jpg.3204548dfcd71a1151931b570c169f31.jpg

• Like 6

That's pretty cool. If you could clamp the plates on and stand it on end, you could make a blob type training device where you would have to pinch it closed to lift it off the ground.

10 hours ago, wobbler said:

That's pretty cool. If you could clamp the plates on and stand it on end, you could make a blob type training device where you would have to pinch it closed to lift it off the ground.

I have an idea for a blob trainer. It hasn't came to fruition quite yet because of time. I really need to get my hands on a 50+ blob and get some dimensions. I'd like to make one that is adjustable in width too for those that think hand size is an issue. 

• 1 month later...

I've taken a lot of the ideas here in this thread and I'm starting to build my own take on it.

• Like 3

cleaning my office I stumbled on an article I printed out long ago... It has nothing to do with the CinePinch, but it speaks on the idea of Invention.
This was written by Garrett Brown who invented things like the Steadicam and Skycam.  He also did camera work on some incredible movies in the late 70's and the 80's into the early 90's.  
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0113593/?ref_=fn_al_nm_2

Anyway beside being a true inventor, he is a great teacher.  Here is a short read about invention. I hope someone also finds this useful:

Inventing Notes v. 1.1 by Garrett Brown April, 2004
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4807531/#.WOE1VbSv2tZ

• Like 4