2016 November - King Kong SF Bay Area, Part I - Hubgeezer

Hubgeezer

For having the highest number of participants in the History of Grip Contests, sure have not been many "Trip Reports" by folks who competed in the October 29 King Kong festival.

I have not had a Marathon Writing Exercise on a grip contest since the 2005-2006 Kevin Meskew Southern California contests. So this is going to be a Marathon post. I will break it into three pieces: Before, During and After. Not sure when I will get around to Part II, but here we go on Part I.

My son's then-girlfriend, in May, 2016 watched some of the San Jose's Fit Expo Haugen/IronMind contest and thought it looked like fun. She said she wanted to participate in the contest next year, and was interested in getting into grip (her strength sport of choice was Powerlifting). I said, sure, but I have something coming up a lot sooner than that, told her about the King Kong, and she was in. I was never much interested in the contest, and last year, shortly before the contest, I sold my 2.5 Inch Crusher in 3 minutes on the Gripboard (had two inquiries in three minutes). My focus the last few years has been on two things: a) Getting Certified on the Number 3, and b) Pulling 352 on the Axle in one of the Fit Expo's grip contests. Both have continued to elude me.

But the opportunity to introduce Son's GF to a grip contest was enough  for me to follow Evan's emails about a "San Francisco" venue. SF is only 100 miles North of me, no big deal, as I was driving over 300 miles to go to contests in LA since 2004. I loaned my Two Inch FBBC V-bar to Son's GF.

Son and GF's relationship, unfortunately, did not work out, so I got my VBar back in late September. Got the Shallow Hub from David and Elizabeth Horne earlier that month. Have had a Horne Euro for close to 8 years. No intention of working the Crusher of Rolling Thunder. I was disappointed I would be making the trip solo, but having been looking forward to the event for three months (no training for it, but heck isn't mental just as important?), with 5 weeks to go, I was ready to get ready. 

Everything started out miserably low. Even though my Euro has self-seasoned from being in a damp garage, I never got into pinch. If people knew just how seasoned (naturally, I might add), it would be as coveted as any grip implement.

Even though I was good at the One Inch Vertical, I always felt I sucked at the Two Inch Vertical.

Even though I am Hubgeezer, I struggled with 24 pounds on the Shallow Hub the first time I touched it during September. 

Things improved over the next five workouts (one per week, I was working out once per week). 

My "worst case" fear was that I would finish in the Bottom Half of contestants. My "too good to be possible" scenario would be finishing in the top quartile. Realistically, I was shooting for the top third. 

I was as ready as I could be given the time I spent training on the implements. 

Next time: Part II, The Contest

• Like 3

I will read anything that has "Part 1" in the title!  

Nice backstory...looking forward to the rest. :)