Pinch PRs

acorn

Had a nice Birthday workout over the weekend and got a few PR's including these Pinch PRs on the Saxon that I actually bothered to video. Pretty proud of them and one step closer to long term training goals of 200# Pinch Clean and 300# Pinch DL.

- Aaron

• Like 20

Damn.  He just told that bar to make him a sandwich.

• Like 5

Well done Delmar!!   Pinch is coming along brother!  

19 hours ago, anwnate said:

Damn.  He just told that bar to make him a sandwich.

Yes indeed. Thanks!

13 hours ago, robertmiller67 said:

Thanks, except I'm not Delmar.

7 hours ago, Juha Harju said:

Very good Aaron! 

Thank you!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, acorn said:
18 hours ago, robertmiller67 said:

Thanks, except I'm not Delmar.

Lol, I got confused there myself for a moment, thinking 'I thought his name was Aaron'.

Edited by Yan_Wei

5 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Very impressive! Is the bar seasoned bare steel or is there some other finish on it?

Just bare steel with a bit of chalk seasoning.

• Like 1

Well done Aaron!

Sorry for the mixup my friend... we gotta talk steel bending again soon sir!!  

• Like 1

On 11/14/2016 at 3:42 PM, acorn said:

Had a nice Birthday workout over the weekend and got a few PR's including these Pinch PRs on the Saxon that I actually bothered to video. Pretty proud of them and one step closer to long term training goals of 200# Pinch Clean and 300# Pinch DL.

- Aaron

Congrats on the new pinch pr's!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Forever said:

Congrats on the new pinch pr's!

Thanks!

20 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

Nice!

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hard to say what a good weight would be. My best snatch on my 2x5 Saxon when I was training it was around 50% of my DL on the same bar. For me on pinch cleans its about 70% of DL. Basically power snatch or power clean with very little dip due to current flexibility issues.

You will just have to test it and practice it to get better as far as the snatch technique. 

Good luck

- Aaron

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rjackson said:

WOW.  Okay thanks.  That puts it into perspective. 

It's a pretty darn tough lift to do with a pinch grip

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 5:06 PM, rjackson said:

I am going to do the Saxon snatch using a wooden plank. 

Aaron is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay stronger than me on all things grip.  But I'm going to comment anyway because I have an official USAWA wooden Saxon Plank.  And from my experience, they are much different (and thicker at 3" than most of the "Saxon Bars" out there that are 2" thick) and more difficult to snatch than a metal Saxon Plank. 

1.  Do you have any advice you can give me?

Yes.  Grip the plank with as narrow a grip as your shoulder flexibility and good exercise form will allow.  The wider your grip, the more difficult it is to hold onto the plank.  Especially with narrower shoulder width to begin with.  This is definitely not a dig on you.  I mention this only because you have a very small frame.  The narrower the grip, the longer you have to pull the plank.  But the tradeoff is that you have a much more secure grip with a narrower grip. 

2.  Could you possibly give me a guess to what would be a good weight?  Maybe 25% of my bwt or something?  Of course I gave this example because that is what I am doing right now.  I am not aware of any other female doing it.

I think 25% of your bodyweight sounds like a respectable weight.  Especially since your bodyweight is light.  The heavier bodyweights are going to have a more difficult time matching percentages of their weight compared to someone who is on the lighter side of what is "normal" bodyweight these days. 

3.  How important do you believe my ability or shall I say my inability to snatch plays into it?

I think at the weights that ALL of us are snatching on the Saxon Plank - technique doesn't play much of a role in the weight lifted.  I'd recommend working on your split snatch technique (fast feet!) because it will get you a poundage increase over power snatching (which is what I do) the Saxon Plank. 

Your ability to turn the plank OVER at the top of the movement is probably more limiting than your snatch technique.  I was thinking the other day about the Saxon Plank and if I ever train it again I'll include some near-limit rectangular fixes with the Saxon Plank as part of my specific training for that event.  I think it would have a significant carryover to being able to not only turn the plank over at the top of the movement - but turn the plank over at the top of the movement while still being able to firmly grip the plank.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 5:52 PM, rjackson said:

WOW.  Okay thanks.  That puts it into perspective. 

That is pretty close to my experience too.  I was at 60%. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rjackson said:

I looked under NAGS event-specific rules and cannot find the rules for the Saxon.  There is a record for "2 Hand Pinch DL (Saxon Bar - CTS)" but cannot find the rules.  Can you direct me?

They have not been officially added to the rules list yet but would be same as for double overhand axle DL. Overhand grip, DL to lockout. Wait for down command. Bar must be set down under control and not dropped due to lack of control. A small drop allowed at bottom if in control due to bounce with bumpers if used and injury possibility from bounce.

22 minutes ago, rjackson said:

That makes sense.  I appreciate you explaining.  It is not my best lift but I like it ... I guess because it is different and challenges my strength in a different manner. 

Just like the hub.  I bought one, am not good at it but like it because it stresses my hand like no other lift I do.  Since I have only completed one cycle, I am not sure that I am not good at the hub because I am new to it or because I only have 6 1/2" hands.  With the middle finger deadlift, it took me over a year to see a respectable improvement.  I am thinking it took a year just for my hand to adapt.  What do you think (about the hub) if I may impose?

Most people need to do a good bit of direct work to get strong in these areas. When I first started training grip over 10yrs ago I had a significant strength training background in my teens and early to mid 20's before a 9yr layoff due to back injury. It took me a little while training it before I could pinch 2 25's or hub a 25# plate much less a 45# plate. I think it was 2 or three years before I hubbed a 45. my best now on something like plate pinch (with euro) is nearly 150% of starting point and best plate hub I've nearly locked out 90# on a 45. It takes work. When I first tried the 2 hand Euro pinch DL I had already been training grip for about 2 years and got about 145# or 150# with 2 hands. I've done about 124# now with one hand on same device and pulled close to 260# with 2H. Give it time and consistent smart training will make you stronger. Don't worry about where you are now, just focus on the process and where you want to get to.

• Like 3

It's inspiring to see you still kickin arse Aaron! Thanks for the vids man.

On 12/27/2016 at 8:05 AM, cemery said:

It's inspiring to see you still kickin arse Aaron! Thanks for the vids man.

Thanks Casey