Back Into Chaos: JStepien's Log

JStepien

Decided to do this after doing pretty well at the King Kong. Maybe, get more serious about competing in grip sport. Also, hopefully, compete in the bigger events like nationals &/or gripmas in 2017. Today, I heard Jedd will hold an event in February that I can attend, so time to get back at it!!! With me, never know, may throw in a strongman, highland games, &/or arm wrestling event in the mix. I'm done with the lighter workouts, back on the powerlifting routine. Kinda like 5/3/1.

SUNDAY: OFF

MONDAY: SQUATS

TUESDAY: BENCH

WEDNESDAY: OFF

THURSDAY: DEADLIFT

FRIDAY: OVERHEAD PRESS 

SATURDAY: "Miscellaneous day", could be strongman, throwing, Olympic lifting, &/or boxing

Today was the 1st day of regaining the strength I had in the beginning of the year. Squats & Grippers!!!

Warm up: hip circle & 3x10 kettlebell swings

1 rep squats: worked up to 525 lbs with wraps, didn't feel bad, forgot how many sets

Dumbbell stiff leg deadlifts: 5x10

Makeshift glute ham raise: 5x10

Grippers:

3x10 CoC #2 both hands

3x5 CoC #3(right), CoC #2.5 (left)

Attempts: CoC #3.5 (right) CoC #3(left)

Cardio: 8 hour work day, boss on a rampage

Recovery: big bowl of spaghetti & meatballs

*gonna try to keep up with this, may forget about the log*

• Like 1

Bench press day, despite feeling out of it. My shoulders were really tight.

Warm up: 1 arm kettlebell swings(30 lbs) super set with light upright rows 3x10

1 rep bench press: many sets worked up to 385 lbs. it did feel good, went up fast.

Seated overhead dumbbell press: 5x10

Yates/double underhand grip rows:5x10

Knee raises: 2x25

3x10 plate pinches 35lbs 5 reps each hand

Did 5 dime pinch with both hands

5 finger walks on 10lb sledgehammer very minimal rest in between each rep

Cardio: boss STILL on a rampage :angry:

Recovery: girlfriend got take out :D (saladworks)

Tomorrow is a rest day, heal up for deadlifts

Good to see you started a log. Look forward to watching your progress and competing with you again in 2017.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chez said:

Good to see you started a log. Look forward to watching your progress and competing with you again in 2017.

Thanks Chez! See how it goes brother. Hope to compete with you again.

Well needed rest day yesterday, despite not sleeping well. I've been wide awake at 3:30am last 2 days. But, gotta train & it's deadlift day!!! Probably, my best lift is the deadlift, besides grip sport with the DO axle, have done well in strongman with deadlifts. Plus, my dad left for a hunting trip, have the house to myself. Music was blasting. So, here's how it went...

Warm up: Lower body circuit 3x10 kettlebell swings, kettlebell goblet squats, empty bar jump squats, & step ups

1 rep max deadlifts: bunch of warm up sets, before going up to 555lbs. felt good, thought about an atempt at 575. but got popped a head gasket, got woozy

Make shift safety bar good mornings: 5x10

Rolling thunder deadlifts:

145 lbs: 2x5 both hands

180 lbs: 2x5 both hands

215 lbs: 3 reps right, .5 left

Reverse/upside down set CoC 1.5 gripper: 3x20 as finisher

Feature songs:

"Paradise City" by Guns N Roses

"Stronger" by Through Fire

"This Cowboy's Hat" by Chris Ledoux... surprisingly that helped

Cardio: low intensity work day

Recovery: BBQ chicken with Mac & cheese

• Like 1

Alright, day 4 is overhead press day! This lift is not my cup of tea or, in my case, my pint of beer. Probably, my shoulders are messed up from my jiu-jitsu & wrestling days. I always have a difficult time with them. Today was cold & windy at work which didn't help the cause.

Warm up: band pull a parts overhand & underhand grip 3x10

Wide/snatch grip strict behind the neck press with empty bar 3x10... still warm up

1 rep clean & push press worked up to 235 lbs was really shaky. Also, going over 200 lbs shoulders were starting to bother me

Pull ups 3x10... they were ugly

Kettlebell iron cross/crucifix hold triedown for 30 seconds

Alternating hands push up on a plate went to failure on that

Thought about some ironmind hub session, but that changed... girlfriend is hungry... So, did a grip circuit

3 rounds: pinch grip going around a 50 lb plate(clockwise & counter clockwise) flip & catch 25 lb plate 5 reps both hands & sledgehammer finger walks both hands only once... hands & wrists were burning!

Feature band: Black Label Society

Cardio: It was f**k it friday at work

Recovery: going out to dinner with the girlfriend!

Have some change in plans for the weekend see what happens tomorrow!

Miscellaneous Saturday!!! Was gonna be a rest day, but the birthday party, I was supposed to go got cancelled due to illness. But, an impromptu event just mysteriously filled in... So, had to be quick. Didn't help there was a car accident in front of my place at 3am.

30 minutes on the exercise bike

6 rounds on the heavy bag... trying to throw alot of punches in each round

Quick circuit: 5 rounds

Hang snatch x 3 reps

Cleans from the floor x 3 reps

Alternating 1 arm/gorilla kettlebell clean x 10 total reps 5 each arm

A set of 50 rep crunches

Now, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter then get ready to go to my girlfriend's sister's place.... :angry:

Yes, I know I know, I shouldn't be training today, but guess what!.... I did!!!... Felt good & energized this morning, why not have a strongman sunday session! I did want to do this yesterday, but hanging out with my girlfriend's side of the family. Fueled by lots of pizza.

STRONGMAN SUNDAY!!!:

20 minutes on exercise bike

Superset: 4 sets of sledgehammer chops 10 reps with overhead medicine ball throws 5 reps

Tire flips 4x10

Overhead keg toss 10 throws

Caber toss 8 end over end tosses

Arm over arm car pull with country crush handle pull 2 sets... was pretty much done after that

Back flyer as a finisher 1 set of 50

Recovery: ice cream... I know I'm bad sometimes. Hopefully, rest up tonight sitting on my recliner with my cat Havoc

Til tomorrow...

Edited by JStepien

Alrighty, start of week #2!!!

Warm up: hip circle, 3x10 KB swings, 3x10 bodyweight Bulgarian split squats/lunges

Squats, heavy doubles: worked up to 545x2, felt shaky with them

Box squats 3x10 tried to be explosive with this movement

Then went to grippers

3x10 CoC 2 both hands

Crédit card sets 3x1 rep

CoC 3 right... felt ok

CoC 2.5 left... was easy

Tried a GHP block set with GHP 8 was close, but wrist was sore from boxing workout 2 days ago & maybe strongman sunday

Finished with a set of 50 reps both hands CoC 1.5

Cardio: thought my boss was out all week :angry:

Recovery: STEAK!!! :D

Featured song: "Elite" by Deftones

Gonna try bench tomorrow, wish me luck

• Like 1

A cold, rainy day at work doesn't help me get motivated to train, but gotta get it done!!! BENCH NIGHT!

Warmup supersets: 3x10

Band pull aparts overhand & underhand

KB swings & bent over laterals

Upright rows & overhand band straight arm pulldown (don't know technical name of it, for rotator cuff)

2 reps Bench: worked up to a double of 365 lbs. 1st rep was nice, 2nd not so much.

Reverse grip bench press: 3x10... I really like this movement. I think it works better than incline. Hitting chest & upper back

Well, today feeling drained from extra workouts & busy work day in crappy weather. Kinda decided to train a light, rehab grip session. Still sore from grippers last night.

5x10 Rolling thunder deadlifts 155 lbs

5 sledgehammer finger walks

Cardio: rolled a bunch of roof coils for trailers at work

Recovery: girlfriend is bringing food, so don't know

Featured songs: "Carl's Theme" by Nine Pound Hammer

"The Devil in I" by Slipknot

"Haifisch" by Rammstein

Tomorrow is a well needed rest day! Prep for deadlifts! Either Thursday or Friday, I wanna have a crazy plate pinches session, see how the old bones feel... TIL NEXT TIME!!!...

• Like 1

Yes sir! Always gets the blood pumping!

Well, I know yesterday should have been deadlifts, but plans can change. Did only cardio, waiting for my dad to get home from his hunting trip (side note, he's handicapped, knee issues). He got home at 3am. So, lack of sleep & at work fueled by 2 greasy breakfast sandwiches didn't help. Had to work overtime as well. Tried my best tonight.

Warm up: hip circles 2x10

Tri set: 2x10

KB swings, goblet squats, sumo stance squats

So what heavy doubles, only worked up to 505 for 2 reps. felt drained & back started to become sore & bothering me. After, hearing what happen to Jedd before king kong, didn't want to risk anything.

DB shift leg deadlifts 3x10

Did plate pinches with 35 lb plates

Tried to do a clean with them, didn't happen... well, not today

Featired songs: "Triumph of Death" by Vader

"Born Under a Bad Sign" by Albert King

"All or Nothing" by Madball

"Bite it, you scum" by GG Allin

Cardio: OT at work... People know it's Friday!

Recovery: food & beer!!!

Who knows how tomorrow will go... thinking grippers & rolling thunder 

Edited by JStepien
  • Like 1

Fuelled from olive garden from last night then steak & eggs this morning. Ready to go with this overhead press workout & mix in some grippers! Didn't help, I was watching videos from Juha Harju & Rick Freitag... Add boxing & highland games videos to the mix!

Warm up:

Rotator cuff complex... shoulders tight!

Olympic snatch complex 1 rep 4 movements 3 sets

Snatch from floor, hang snatch, BTN strict press, BTN push jerk

1 clean & 2 reps... struggled with 235 lbs last week, this week different felt light like in the old days! :laugh tired 255 lbs got 1 rep, 2nd rep was a no go. Thought about trying a 1 rep max, but didn't wanna chance an injury, even though I felt I could press 300 overhead.

Partial pull ups: 3x10

Parallel set with grippers

3x10 CoC 2 both hands 

2x5 CoC 3 right CoC 2.5

1x50 CoC 1.5 both hands

Decided since it was a nice day to do some standing throws with a 16 lb shot put... In highland games, I'm somewhat decent in the stones, pretty good at the caber, & lousy at the rest of the events... Standing throws were good, better than my glide & spin throws... Also, I was using the shot as a grip tool. Using it as a catch before it hits the ground... I'll put it on my YouTube channel.

Cardio: 30 minutes on exercise bike, 5 rounds on the heavy bag in between lifting & throws

Recovery: hanging out with my dad who got back from his Missouri hunting trip

Featured songs: "The Sinner" by Fireball Ministry

"To Hell and Back" by Sabaton 

"Empty Promises" by Black Label Society 

"Ghosts Along The Mississippi" by Down

Sunday is rest day & with thanksgiving this coming week, don't know what training schedule will be. Gonna be different. But, enjoy the weekend, be back on Monday... hopefully! :blink

• Like 1

Well, Thanksgiving is Thursday! I have to change my workout schedule around. Plus, it doesn't help it got cold all of a sudden in Jersey after being close to 70° last week. Since, the weather is getting colder, my lower back likes to become a nuisance for me. Again, it's a holiday week, just decided to go easy!

Warm up: KB swings 3x10

Lounges holding 10 lb medicine ball in front 3x10

Superset: 5x5

Box squats & snatch grip deadlifts

*went light because of my back*

Good mornings 3x10

Glute ham raise: 3x10

Knee raises: 2x25

Band crunches: 2x25

*feel like I've been slacking on core/torso work last week. try to build up stabilization for the bigger lifts, I want to attempt*

Wasn't gonna do anything grip related, but went to the grocery store after work & picked up a pack of bicycle playing cards... So, just ripped it in half!

Featured songs: "I am the Bullgod" by Kid Rock

"Come as You Are" by Nirvana

"I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" by The Proclaimers... Yes, it's true :blush

Cardio: multiple coffee runs to get out of the cold!

Recovery: spaghetti & meatballs with Aleve

Tomorrow will be an upper body workout with maybe a hub session...

• Like 1

Alright! Tuesday!?!? Upper body day!!!

Warm up: Rotator cuff complex 20 reps each movement only once around

Superset: 5x5

Close grip bench press & push press from a split jerk position (saw pro strongman & WSM veteran Mike Caruso doing this, wanna try)

Yates/dbl underhand grip rows 3x10

DB Yates rows 3x10

DB back flyes 3x10

Did a quick IM hub session

35x3 both hands

45x3 both hands

55x2 right painful slip left

65x1 right very shaky & yeah ok on left

3 sledgehammer finger walks both hands

Cardio: pain in the butt work day

Recovery: going out to dinner with my girlfriend 

Featured songs: "Savor the Kill" by Darkest Hour

"Lost in the Echo" by Linkin Park

"Sleipnir" by Manowar

Tomorrow is a rest day, so Thursday being Thanksgiving, it's a "who knows" workout day. But if ya don't hear from me...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING GRIPBOARD!!!

Took 2 days off from training! Thanksgiving was good! Filled up on turkey, potatoes, stuffing, & pies! I was watching World's Strongest Man last night helped to hype me up for my workout today. I'm still going light & easy.

Warm up: 3x10

KB swings

KB front squats

Push press from a split jerk position 5x10... starting to like this way... Well, for now...

DB incline bench press 4x12

Superset: 3x20

Bodyweight pull ups using judo belt & resistance band rows

KB iron cross/crucifix hold... only one set as long as I can

Tri set: 3 sets

Band good mornings (band around beam) x 20 reps

Band crunches x 20 reps

Another version of band good mornings (stepping on ends, loop around my neck, holding 30 lb kettlebells) x 10 reps

... lower back will probably be sore as hell tomorrow...

Decided to do some Country Crush deadlifts... Was talking to Raymond Cote, the inventor of the Country Crush, this week, so why not???

180 lb x 10 reps

215 lb x 10 reps

250 lb x 10 reps

285 lb 2 sets x 5 reps

335 lb 2 sets x 5 reps

Cardio: 30 minutes on exercise bike after lifting, before that pushing a shopping cart going to stores with my girlfriend :mellow

Recovery: most likely leftovers

Featured songs: "Hater" by Korn

"God's Law in the Devil's Land" by Kingdom of Sorrow

Dusty Rhodes' WWE theme

Tomorrow is another workout, don't know what I'm doing yet. I'm waiting to hear back from a friend. He may bring his arm wrestling table over. If not, decided between light Olympic lifting or an outdoor workout... shall see

Edited by JStepien
  • Like 1

More of a miscellaneous strength day! Been in a funky mood since last night. So, more messing around than any type of program.

Warm up: Rotator cuff complex one set 20 reps 4 band movements

Band pull aparts overhand & underhand 2x25

*decided to trained flat bench press, don't know why after watching arm wrestling champion Michael Todd getting injured from his bench*

Here we go BENCH PRESS!!!

2x10 225 lbs

5x8 315 lbs

2x25 225 lbs

Decided to train a Superset of arms

3x10 JM press & DB hammer curls

*usually don't train arms, but it was an "ain't gonna hurt" thought*

Strongman cardio circuit 3x5 reps each movement

Straight leg deadlifts, hang cleans, strict press, high bar back squats, bent over rows

*was tired after that*

Grip work!

3x10 145 lbs rolling thunder both hands 

3x5 65 lbs pinch block both hands right was ok left need help

3 sledgehammer finger walks

Cardio: 20 minutes on exercise bike

Recovery: date with the girlfriend

Featured band: SLAYER!!!!

Day off tomorrow, putting up a Christmas tree. Be back on Monday!!!

Edited by JStepien
  • Like 1

Well, I'm back for another workout!!! This one is different, still the squats & grippers routine, but today marks the 6th year since my mom passed away. From years past, I have some crazy workouts on this day. For example, I believe, 3 years ago, I deadlift 705 from the floor. That's the only time, I've ever done that. Today was a weird day at best, besides my mom part, someone tried to break into the house. Thank goodness, we have an alarm system. Long story short, I'm kind of a basket case at this moment. DISCLAIMER: yeah, I decided to go crazy for this workout

Warm up:

3x10 KB swings

Went straight into back squats... worked up to 605 lbs for a single. felt good, but will probably feel it tomorrow.

*I was talking to a coworker who was a marine about our workouts. I told him thinking about going for 600+ squat. He asked me, "do you think you can?" I said hope so*

3x10 Bulgarian split squats

3x10 DB stiff leg deadlifts

Went to grippers, parallel sets!

2x10 CoC 2 both hands

2x3 CoC 3 right, CoC 2.5 left

Tried CoC 3.5 with right was close, but no cigar!

Did get 2 reps with CoC 3 on the left... PR for me lefty!

1x25 CoC 1.5

Cardio: work & talking to the cops

Recovery: fried chicken with Mac & cheese

Featured songs: "Dear Mama" by Tupac

"Mama said knock you out" by LL Cool J

Tomorrow is bench press, see how hands & wrists feel for grip work...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shoggoth said:

Nice squat! Good finding something to focus on. 

Thank you very much! Yup, better than over thinking about attempts!

I guess happy Tuesday! Working in the rain made me feel the effects of yesterday's workout. Just saying, I was very sore all day. But, gotta train bench press tonight! DISCLAIMER: Sorry, no grip work this workout!

Warm up: 1 arm kettlebell swings 2x10 each arm

Flat barbell bench press: worked up to 385 lbs. Was hoping to get over 400 lbs, but right side was lagging behind. More in depth, left was at lock out, right was half way through the rep. 385 went up pretty easy.

BB reverse grip bench press 3x10

DB incline bench press 3x10

*Decided to take a break today from grip, been watching too much boxing on YouTube. Probably, because my friend was bugging me to train with him in boxing*

Cardio: 8 rounds on the heavy bag, last round all power shots. very tired afterwards

Recovery: girlfriend got take out & I may make some chicken later

Featured songs: "I Wanna Rock" by Twisted Sister

"Far Behind" by Social Distortion

"Terminator" by Sevendust

"You Ain't a Killer" by Big Pun

"Sound of the Police" by KRS-ONE

... last 2 songs were from hitting the bag

Wednesday is a rest day! Deadlifts on Thursday. I'm thinking about having a grip circuit rehab day either Thursday or Friday. Til then...

• Like 1

Other day, another workout! Been in pouring rain last 2 days, so my body has been feeling it. Tonight was deadlifts!

Warm up: KB swings 3x10

Deadlifts going for a 1 rep max... worked up to 555 lbs... attempted 605, but couldn't lock out :(

Good mornings 3x10

Knee raises 3x25

*I feel my core/torso is probably been my weak link in the bigger lifts*

Decided to train a grip circuit/medley instead of a light, rehab day. did it only twice was getting hungry & tired... I put the circuit on YouTube... I brain farted & forgot what I did...

Well, tomorrow is a new day & overhead press workout too. See what happens. my dad is coming home from his 3rd surgery of the year.

• Like 1

• Like 1