Bill Piche

2x25Kg Plate Pinch  

45 members have voted

1. 1. 2x25Kg Plate Pinch

• pass
    • fail

1. Must lift to full deadlift position.
2. Only chalk allowed.
3. Must be metal plates. Must lift smooth-sides-out. No rubber plates.
4. Standard Olympic plates only - no rounded edge plates can be used.
5. The lift must be performed directly from the floor.
6. Lift must be followed to the floor.

• Like 5

Looked good to me; solid pause at lockout.  He did start to lose it, but controlled/followed it to the floor.  Nice lift!

15 minutes ago, Allen Heineck said:

Looked good to me; solid pause at lockout.  He did start to lose it, but controlled/followed it to the floor.  Nice lift!

exactly what it looks to me too, no doubt about it.

He lost control over the weights to the point of them bouncing off the floor. That's not a controlled decent. We probably all have somewhat different views on a 'legal' lift hence the need for a 'voting'.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I don't want to tell people how to vote on this lift, but for those concerned about the descent rate of the weight in this case, I would suggest that you watch how the athletes set a deadlift down in an ipf competition and how the judges score the lift. Ask yourself, "would this lift have been red lighted for dropping?"

• Like 2

This is not an IPF deadlift (and I know that sport pretty well given I was at one stage ranked in the top 10 in the deadlift in Sweden in the 90k class in that organization). The weight you can lift in the 1HP is way below your deadlift max. Its so far below so the only reason the plates hit the ground so hard they bounce is because you either lost control (which is the case here) or simply performed a sloppy lift.

2 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

This is not an IPF deadlift (and I know that sport pretty well given I was at one stage ranked in the top 10 in the deadlift in Sweden in the 90k class in that organization). The weight you can lift in the 1HP is way below your deadlift max. Its so far below so the only reason the plates hit the ground so hard they bounce is because you either lost control (which is the case here) or simply performed a sloppy lift.

I am happy that you know about IPF deadlifts and it is neat that you were highly ranked in the deadlift. Now about the rules, another internationally recognized sanctioning body with rules about  how the " 6. Lift must be followed to the floor." interprets that rule as the hands must remain in contact. So, following how thousands of other competitions have interpreted that rule, the question would have to be: "Did his hand stay in contact with the implement(s)?"

• Like 6

" 6. Lift must be followed to the floor. " simple definition of "follow":

"Follow" full definition

Simple Definition of follow

• : to go or come after or behind (someone or something)

• : to go after or behind (someone) secretly and watch to find out what happens

• : to come after (something) in time or place or as part of a series

I voted yes because Jouni demonstrated control by holding the plates over a second at the top and while the plates began slipping as a result of extending the hold, it appeared in real time that his fingers remained in contact all the way down. It is possible to pinch plates without full-on palm contact, so I don't have a problem with the way he followed the weights down. So, technically, Jouni either met or exceeded the listed Gripboard rules.

I think grip needs to be influenced less, not more, by IPF's specific lift rules and other strength sports rules.

• Like 6

Al Bundy once scored 4 touchdowns in a high school game- live in the present

• Like 2

Now that the lifter is aware that the plates can bounce on the descent/landing, I am positive he has the strength to correct what seems to be a minor flaw (to some's concern) with his technique. You will also notice the plates remained tight together all the way to the floor before a slight separation with the bounce. He seemed surprised at this action of a bounce. I give him a pass.  Ask him to do it again just for the hell of it?

Edited by Rick Browne

thick rubber floor tend to bounce hard things ;) I'm sure this wasn't last grip awesomenes Jouni performs, even tho he only came second in Kingkong comp.

80% pass rate was not achieved given the required 20 votes cast. So, the lift fails.

Shame. Rules don't say followed down "under reasonable control" but that was clearly the standard some were applying, and I still think it meets that.

• Like 2

Normally, since the voting is done the thread gets locked. But, since there is some feedback and discussion going on I will leave it open for a bit.

7 minutes ago, rjackson said:

Dan always tells me that if you are really strong, you will just do it again.   You are obviously strong enough.  Just do it again.

Easy for Jouni. He doesnt even need training for 2x25kg or 4x10kg pinch lifts. It's really cool. I needed years for those feats. 

• Like 4

Jouni just called, he lifted those plates today over and over again, everytime they bounced when they hit the floor, so he will lift those again, with wooden platform..

• Like 1

There is roughly 80 million Adult males between ages 20 to 60 in the United States. To put this feat in perspective by Jouni( I know he does not live in U.S. but fun fact nonetheless) - I would guess less than 80 could do what the did so the lift is essentially 1 in a million lift- IMPRESSIVE

• Like 1

Unfortunate that Jouni was denied a lift after following the rules as stated above (if you look at them and the lift objectively), not the IPF rules which are often mindlessly applied to grip when it is typically a square peg-round hole fit.

When asking a good friend about a similar circumstance, he told me that "people often exercise their envy when it can be done anonymously" and "sheep follow even when they don't know what it means".

• Like 9

He held this thing at lock-out.  I think it is so ridiculous to scrutinize the descent when it was clean on the way up, and clearly held at full lock-out.  That's what is really impressive.  Who cares about putting it down.  If someone deadlifts 700 lbs, and throws it down or someone deadlifts 700 lbs and sets it down, they still deadlifted 700 lbs, which is the feat!

If people want grip to grow, you can't sweat something like this so much.

I vote "pass"!

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

There is roughly 80 million Adult males between ages 20 to 60 in the United States. To put this feat in perspective by Jouni( I know he does not live in U.S. but fun fact nonetheless) - I would guess less than 80 could do what the did so the lift is essentially 1 in a million lift- IMPRESSIVE

I don't think anyone has questioned the strength of Jouni. However surely we must be able to criticize questionable (in some people's view) lifts even if they are performed by some of the strongest. To me it looked like he had more than enough strength to perform the lift even to a standard that I would classify as a strict but he just held them at lockout a bit too long. I strongly disagree with Bob's suggestion that those who failed the lift did so because of envy. I have not seen any indications of this in this section. For example my lift of 4x10k did not receive a single fail vote in spite my unpopularity here on the GB

• Like 1