Grip training advice for a competitive shooter?

Dan Thompson

Hello 

This is my first post another than the one in the new memeber section so go easy on me ;)

Ill start out by saying i dont do a ton of personal strength training other than push ups pull ups and other stuff like that i can do at home.

The only real peice of exercise equipment i own are a couple grippers. 100/150/200 lbs. The reason i picked these up was to improve my grip strength for shooting uspsa(pistol). A stronger grip means a better control over the recoil of a handgun and some of the top shooters seem to use them.

I was wondering if you guys had any training advice to improve my grip like adding different stuff to my work out or maybe just a better routine. Right now i use the 200lb & 150lb grip 3 times a week pretty much till i cant do them anymore. I also will hang one or two handed off a bar as long as i can trying to add something different into the mix.

Just looking to be pointed it the right direction for the most efficient grip training. Thanks Dan.

Looks to me that you probably could have more benefit from having solid wrists, as they support the angle of the pistol and act as a buffer between the pistol and your arms (backfiring of the gun). don't know if that makes sense, but squeezing grippers for many reps...don't think that will help a lot. You can do levers with a hammer, or plate curls for instance. And I would say solid shoulders will help? holding some heavier plates in front of you, that kind of thing. Hope it helps!

Edited by Geralt

@Dan ThompsonI believe I read this in a Milo issue a while ago....

Ironmind says that shooter can train their grip by holding a gripper shut with their middle, ring, and Pinky fingers, and then squeezing an IM TUG with their index finger.

I'm guessing you will have to hold the gripper upside down (inverted) to hold it shut with the bottom three fingers, and the use of the IM TUG is supposed to be like squeezing a trigger. 

In other words, this is as much mental exercise as physical.  keeping a firm grip on the handle while pulling the trigger can be difficult. 

I could reply with some pictures but I don't have any IMTUGs so you will have to use your imagination. 

Jedd Johnson has a training ebook or video that is specifically for shooters (at least im 90% sure). I would contact him. 

My dad is a master level in IDPA he has strong wrists probably from his racing days building cars

Jedd Johnson has at least 2 videos on YouTube about grip strenght for shooting. Look em up!

I cant insert IRL from my mobile but search and you shall find.

He points out some good stuff like the fact that we only use 50 to 65% of our grip strength when shooting. Mines probably about 65 with my support hand and around 50 or less in my strong hand. So while max grip strength is important its only because it brings up your percentages.

Another thing is most stages are under 25 secs so holding the gripper shut that long seems like it could be useful. 

Im gonna continue training my grip along with any other upper body exercises i can get in like biceps, triceps,  chest, wrist, and shoulders.

I think im a pretty good shooter right now but im always looking to improve myself and my shooting.

• Like 1