2016 October - International King Kong Grip Challenge - Eric Roussin

Eric Roussin

Lots of people competed in the 4th Annual International King Kong Grip Challenge over the weekend. Here’s a short write-up about my experience as both a promoter and competitor.

Things quickly got off to a good start when Andrew and I began planning this year’s contest. Each year we debate which events to feature in the contest. In the end, this year we decided to keep costs down for the promoters, so we stuck to the same four events (shipping equipment overseas can get quite expensive). Many promoters, both old and new, proactively inquired about hosting a venue. With the greatest number of venues so far (14) some new areas of the world were exposed to the King Kong experience – perhaps most notably the UK.

With 12 competitors at my Ottawa venue, I broke my King Kong venue attendance record. I was aware that other venues were also expecting good turnouts. I was hoping we’d finally break the 100 entry barrier. We ended up shattering this number with a total of 149 (more than double the previous King Kong attendance record)!

My Performance

On the Euro Pinch, I was satisfied with my performance. I managed to lift a bit more than 101 lbs, which was the first time I lifted both over 100 lbs and half my body weight in a contest. I wasn’t elated, because I thought there was a chance I could go up to about 105, which I’ve been able to do once or twice in training. Alas, it was not to be on Saturday.

I was also satisfied with my performance with the 2.5” Crusher. On my third attempt I increased my 93 kg world record by a few pounds with a lift of a bit over 202 lbs (my bodyweight). I was happy with this result, but disappointed that I just missed 207.5 lbs on my fourth attempt (I must have been short by about half an inch).

For the Shallow Hub, I was a bit too aggressive on my third attempt. I attempted to jump from about 47.5 (which felt good) to 53, but failed. I attempted the same weight on my fourth attempt, and almost got it all the way up before it slipped from my fingers.

For the v-bar, I lifted pretty much what I expected to, so not much to report.

I’m sure everyone goes through the same thought process after the contest. “Why was I so aggressive with my attempt selections?”; “Why did it have to slip – I was so close!”; “That last attempt was easy. Why didn’t I go for more?” are just some of the questions that I’m sure people ask themselves. For me, my near successes on my fourth attempts with the Crusher and Shallow Hub are what bugged me most, but I took solace in the fact that even if I had succeeded, it wouldn’t have been enough to get into the top three of my weight class.

7th overall ties by best performance in a King Kong contest (I finished in 7th in 2015). But this year seems like more of an accomplishment, simply due the sheer amount of competitors.

Once the contest was done, the worrying began. Everyone is eager to see the results, but we are at the mercy of the speed at which promoters submit their venue results. Traditionally, promoters have done an excellent job in getting their results in quickly, but there has usually been a straggler or two. Luckily, there was no such straggler this year, which allowed us to post the results by late morning on Sunday (EST).

Entry of the results into the NAGS database has already begun, and they will be entered in full by the end of the week.

Thanks to all who took part in this year’s contest!

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Just got to reread this Eric.

Congrats on the organization and attendance.

I really like that you included some of your thoughts about the attempts.  Makes for good reading.

• 4 weeks later...

Eric, I don't think you have been thanked enough for producing this event. Countries from all over the world, including some that are at odds with each other. Effectively and efficiently run, happy contestants, biggest number of contestants (I think) ever in a grip competition. Just plain awesome. Thank you again.

• Like 1

Thanks, Mike. Andrew Pantke and I put a lot of effort into leading this contest every year. We are lucky to work with so many great promoters around the world.