2016 October - "Sterkste hand van Nederland" Dutch Comp. - Royz

Royz

Great write up Geralt. You beat me to it.:turn

I will add a little bit from my own perspective.

I started my prep for this comp about 4 months prior to the contest, just when it was announced. Training twice a week and splitting all of the events between those two days. Couldn't train all the events exactly as they were in the competition but I made due with what I had. Everything was going up to about 5 week out. I suddenly had a huge decline in strength which just baffled me. I did a few more training sessions but finally decided I had overreached and needed rest. I took a week off from grip and tried again. Still no strength. So decided to drop my general strength training too and take 10 days of complete rest. 8 days out from the comp I did my first grip training again trying all the implements in one session. Strength seemed to be mostly back. 5 days out from the comp I did another session with all the events and everything was a bit up from last time, this gave me confidence. So 4 more days of complete rest and it was game time.

Event 1: Grippers 25mm blockset, max. reps with grippers of your choice in 90sec.
Luckily I was last with this event, so I already saw some people f*ck this up by choosing a too heavy first gripper. I decided to go with a gripper I was certain to get 1-2 reps with. Ended up doing 131lbs for 3 reps and 123lbs for 6 reps. Better then I've done in training latetly so very happy with that.

Event 2: 2HP 50mm block, last man standing
Bobs pinchblock had very good texture on it, so everyone pulled much more than expected. Making this a very lenghty event. It wasn't untill we reached 80kg that people started to fail there lifts. My grip felt extremely solid on this block and I ended up pulling 100kg for the win, with strength to spare. Prior to this I've only pulled 82,5kg on my own very slick pinchblock...

Event 3: pro inch dumbbell 60mm, 4 attempts
Knew my max. would be about 70kg on this, but didn't know how tired my hands would be from the pinching. First attempt felt heavy, which made be cautious to not be too eager for choosing my next weights. Switched to my left hand for the next attempt. Usually me left is a bit stronger with thickbar. This paid off and I ended up doing 71,5kg on my last attempt. A bit more than I hoped for. Good result.

Event 4: Floor rotations with 50mm loadable hammer.
Not my thing. Luckily if you couldn't pronate the weight anymore you were still allowed to supinate the weight. This was a loophole a lot of people ended up using (me included) to get their reps up. However the top 3 on this event didn't need that loophole and just swung that hammer from left to right and back again like crazy. Enden up being 4th I think, which was absolutely the best I could've hoped for.

Event 5: Farmers hold with 2x100kg
Really expected the two huge strongmen to take this event. But again I was last on this event and Denzel the smallest competitor(but very strong) had set the best time. I didn't know exactly what it was, but I knew it was over a minute. 20 seconds in I thought 'how am I going to hold on to this for another 40 seconds?'. After 50 seconds however I thought 'I guess another 10seconds is possible'. And after 60 seconds I just held on for dear life and let go after 72 seconds. Just one more second then Denzel it turned out! My second win!

Event 6: Medley
I'd already seen that the glob was almost impossible to lift so I knew I just had to set a fast time on the other 5 implements which evrybody had lifted. Lost a bit of time on the 5th implement, the 20kg blob, which too me 3 tries to get it up and the glob, as expected, was a no go. Still a solid run.

I was very surpised to find out I had taken the overall win! I guess today my grip was the most allround, with no big misses on any of the events. I'm also very happy that I really performed a the best of my current ability today. I couldn't have wished for a better result on any of the events.

Thoughts
Very well organised by Mark. And hoping this will become an annual thing! A lot of the competitors, althought strong, had been training grip for only a few months. If these guys continue to train grip the coming year then next year will be a completely different ball game. Just glad I took the title this time because I'm predicting next year will be much much tougher. But I'l be there...:rock

I'll try to post some pics and vids later on.

• Like 6