Effectiveness of Choked Grippers???

Paul Markowski

I am thinking of doing some major work with a COC #3 Chocked gripper for my dominant hand and use a COC#2.5 Choked gripper for my inferior hand.  Has anyone had some legitimate experience doing this form of training and what were the results?  Pros and cons?  I have both these grippers choked with a plumbing tie as I write this post.  

7 minutes ago, Paul Markowski said:

I am thinking of doing some major work with a COC #3 Chocked gripper for my dominant hand and use a COC#2.5 Choked gripper for my inferior hand.  Has anyone had some legitimate experience doing this form of training and what were the results?  Pros and cons?  I have both these grippers choked with a plumbing tie as I write this post.  

A couple of cons are that if you leave the gripper in the choker, the rating will not change but in my experience the gripper gets easier through the range in which is has been choked. This is if its left choked. I can always tell when a gripper has been choked for a long period of time for this reason since the set and sweep feel fairly easy. Another con is that if you overdo the choker work, you may lose set strength and technique. The best way to get good at the set is constant practice.

Other than that, I think chokers can be used as an effective supplement to a gripper training program.  

• Like 3

following

26 minutes ago, Chez said:

A couple of cons are that if you leave the gripper in the choker, the rating will not change but in my experience the gripper gets easier through the range in which is has been choked. This is if its left choked. I can always tell when a gripper has been choked for a long period of time for this reason since the set and sweep feel fairly easy. Another con is that if you overdo the choker work, you may lose set strength and technique. The best way to get good at the set is constant practice.

Other than that, I think chokers can be used as an effective supplement to a gripper training program.  

As usual, great advice.  Thanks!  

I am thinking this:  I will leave the grippers (#3 and #2.5) in this choke hold!  Once I am able to close both grippers, I will "assume" that the legitimacy of the #3 and #2.5 have been compromised so I will purchase new COC #3 and 2.5 grippers from IronMind to ensure that these grippers are legit again. At this point, I will start to attempt to close both grippers from a legit open position and try and get a Mash Monster parallel set and then close both.

9 minutes ago, Paul Markowski said:

As usual, great advice.  Thanks!  

I am thinking this:  I will leave the grippers (#3 and #2.5) in this choke hold!  Once I am able to close both grippers, I will "assume" that the legitimacy of the #3 and #2.5 have been compromised so I will purchase new COC #3 and 2.5 grippers from IronMind to ensure that these grippers are legit again. At this point, I will start to attempt to close both grippers from a legit open position and try and get a Mash Monster parallel set and then close both.

ya, this will work. 

I think Teemu has had the most extensive use of choked grippers as well as probably the biggest success. Read his blog on the subject is a good reference. 

• Like 1

It builds strength very effectively but you need to practice the set at the same time. You can do choker closes then some negative crushes/set practice and also MMS closes with lighter grippers. Otherwise you will not get your technique right. 

Here's the blog Shoggoth mentioned: https://gripperstrength.wordpress.com/2008/05/07/choker-work-on-grippers/

It's good, increasing the set distance is the way to go, don't just stick to parallel.

• Like 1

I have trained with choked grippers quite a bit - eventually closing Heath's 195# COC #4 choked to parallel.  My hands felt and I think were strong - BUT I still struggled to close an average #3 if I had to set it - to parallel or credit card.  Setting grippers is a "skill" and as such must be trained extensively in order to take advantage of the "strength" you develop with the choked grippers.

• Like 2

I train in nothing but chokers (and will continue to do so until I plateau). I don't really care about set strength. I think it comes down to what you really care about and what's fun for you.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, climber511 said:

BUT I still struggled to close an average #3 if I had to set it - to parallel or credit card. 

So don't set it.........TNS it :D

• Like 1

All great advice from you guys!!  Appreciate it.

@Paul Markowski Have you tried negatives or IM Tug grippers? 

38 minutes ago, Yan_Wei said:

@Paul Markowski Have you tried negatives or IM Tug grippers? 

Nope!  At least not yet.  Thanks.

Sorry. I can't hold my tounge on this. The tugs are junk. Just ask @anwnate Haha. You can just as easily use a light full sized gripper.

this is from a long time ago and I wasn't even close to my peak crush strength

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

@Chez Don't bad-mouth my paperweights.  They are particularly effective when there is a light breeze.

• Like 3

When u are early in training you think you need stuff like this but as time goes on you realize you dont. I have sold so many training tools that I found useless. Sold some tugs to Nate before I ever met him. 

• Like 2

...otherwise...he wouldn't have.   ;)

I have done some negative reps a couple months back....did not find them to be very effective.

I use imtugs with just thumb against palm, and key pinch style. Haven't done much normal training with them

You can buy a cheap pony clamp to do key pinch or use thumb screws on a light gripper

On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 7:58 PM, Chez said:

Sorry. I can't hold my tounge on this. The tugs are junk. Just ask @anwnate Haha. You can just as easily use a light full sized gripper.

this is from a long time ago and I wasn't even close to my peak crush strength

The tugs I find more comfortable using when training fingers than something that's 3 inches long and has a spread of at least 6 centimeters; sometimes the handles get in the way or makes using it for that kind of training awkward. Though I do hate that they're only $3 less expensive than CoC, but I got some at discount.

On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 8:08 PM, Chez said:

When u are early in training you think you need stuff like this but as time goes on you realize you dont. I have sold so many training tools that I found useless. Sold some tugs to Nate before I ever met him. 

But these have been helpful for me, all I'm doing is sharing. You didn't find them helpful and that's okay, experience varies from person to person so can't really argue with that. 

On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 8:17 PM, Paul Markowski said:

I have done some negative reps a couple months back....did not find them to be very effective.

Like my 2nd reply to Chez and going back to personal experience and what others said (even on my Heavy Gripper Gains question thread) what may work for you might not for me and/or another guy.

But recently, isometrics (not just grippers) have proven helpful for me making gains instead of just performing reps. Both helpful, but I guess it was time to alter my program. But I guess as another piece of advice is to look to make sure a weaker muscle (or group) isn't holding you back, weak brachial muscles etc. did that to me, so give time/attention to other things instead of just grippers if you're spending too much time on them.

Edited by Yan_Wei

On 10/16/2016 at 10:08 AM, Yan_Wei said:

But these have been helpful for me, all I'm doing is sharing. You didn't find them helpful and that's okay, experience varies from person to person so can't really argue with that. 

I agree that you should keep using them if they work for you. I still think the majority of people don't need them. Especially early on in their training. Early in training almost anything will cause gains, but if you have been training for years then you need to really think outside the box to even increase your crush a couple pounds. There are so many techniques to increase crush strength without buying the tugs.