Deff Vs. Weights

jwdeff

Dude your log is making jumps every time I check it... what program are you running for it?  Did you design a new oh program?

• Like 1

Thanks Matt.

Speaking of jumps, I hit 335 today! 10lb PR

I've just been doing a progression of my top set each week (285x6, 305x4, 315x3, 325x2, 335x1) (clean once) which works out so my estimated 1rm goes up about a pound a week. Then for volume I have been hitting lots of singles, some emom and some with slightly longer breaks. Trying to dial in the form and trying (and failing) to have a consistent jerk. I still keep reverting to push press when it gets heavy though. On my 2nd press day of the week I usually do something other than log and not that hard. Monday I ended up doing heavy reverse band log press and my shoulder isn't feeling great from it, so I'll have to back off again on my Monday pressing.

7/21/2017

Log Press
305x1 (push press, supposed to be a jerk)
335x1 (push press, supposed to be a jerk)
305x1 x5 EMOM(all failed jerks. Rightly lagged behind greatly on the pressout. Missed the last one and came back and hit it a minute later)
265x5 (clean each rep, some were actually jerks!)

I's and T's with 20lb dbs - in the 20rep range
Scapular pullups

Edited by jwdeff

7/24/2017
Incline DB Press
140x6

Tricep Pushdowns
140x10 x2

Lateral Raises

7/25/2017
Coan Phillipi Week 8
Axle deadlift 675x2
Accessory sets at 355/375, 305, 310, 265 SSB

This is the last week of Coan Phillipi as written. Now I need to decide if I want to go for a heavy single then drop to a 60s set, or skip the single. Competition weight is 675, so I don't need to go heavier but it would be nice to. I think I could hit 725+ but I think 710 or 715 might be a nice single for next week before actually starting on reps.

Edited by jwdeff

7/27
Log Press
300x5

Log Clean and Press Cluster
265x3x3 w/ 30s breaks (~2.5 min total)  x2

The cluster set was conditioning. Felt like I was drowning on the last set of each cluster. Unable to catch my breath in the slightest. Glad I'm working on this now, should have plenty of time to insure that I will not be conditioning limited by ASM.

T's and Y's @ 20lbs

• Like 1

7/28
Farmer's
Did the WSM qualifier thing again, took 340 to like 10' from the finish line and dropped it when my callouses started to open on my right hand. I totally screwed up my hand care though. I had rust on my hands from the plates, so I washed them off, then I realized I shouldn't have gotten them wet so I used hand sanitizer to dry them out, then I realized the hand sanitizer had moisturizer in it so I washed them again to get rid of the moisturizer, so in the end my callouses were a little damp which couldn't have helped their structural integrity. It feels like my limiting factor right now is literally my skin, so I guess I just have to manage that better.

Farmer's Deadlift - 340x10 - strapped in but hands still hurt at this point.

Front Squat
415x5 quick ones

7/30
Keg Carry and Load
265, 260, 250 x25' - fast
290, 300, 300 x25' - bobbled the first one and didn't have the intensity as I did on last set.

Arm-over-arm w/ nylon rope (hard rope)
Switched to pulling with the rope on my left size since my left arm is stronger for the most part now. 
770x35'
540x35'
Both way too slow. I feel like I'm not as good at this as I should be. I struggle sitting up with each pull because I'm so top heavy.

7/31

Some incline DB Presses at 120, lateral raises, front raises, and T's and Y's.

My hands are in rough shape from the arm-over-arm and Farmer's, need to cut down a bit. Feels like deep bruises on my index and ring finger of my left hand, and my hand skin has seen better days too. 

8/1

Axle Deadlift
705x1
555x10

Stiff-leg deadlift
385x6 x3

GHR
45x8, 70x7, 45x8 
hamstrings dead

Reverse Hyper
225x20 x2

8/3

Log Press
320x2 (missed third)
320x1 (missed 2nd and 3rd)
315x2 (missed third)

Bad training day. Combination of too much work on Tuesday, a big $6000 Rogue order coming in right before my last set distracting me, and just a regular not good lifting day.
Stopped there since we were unpacking and building stuff.

• Like 1

8/4
Log Press Part 2
Cluster: 265x4,3,3 w/30s break
Cluster: 265x4,2,2 w/30s breaks

Log quarter squats
Misc Shoulder Stuff

8/6
Deloading this weekend a little bit, my hands are pretty rough and starting to feel overtrained.
Keg Carry and Load
265x1
265x3
Can't remember what else I did. 

8/8
Axle Deadlift
605x8

Stiff Leg Deadlift
385x8

Bent Over Rows
305x8
305x1 with a super slow negative

GHR
+45x8 x2 trying to go slower on the negative and hit my hamstrings more

Reverse Hyper
180x20

Overall cut the accessory volume down since I think I'm losing some of my log press force from my core being fatigued.

I'm not going AMRAP on deadlift at all - but I'm starting to worry that I haven't done any real 60s work in prep for my last show. But, I don't want to add any more volume as I'm barely recovering from what I'm doing. Maybe next week I'll up my main work set volume, space it out to 60 seconds, and reduce accessories even further, then take two days off after deadlifting - but haven't decided for sure yet.

• Like 1

Wait... last show???

How many weeks out are you?  You could take the percentage down and do some 60 second or 30 sec clusters ramping up weekly till your comp-  if you're around 4-5 weeks out I don't think you'll loose strength on the DL, it would probably serve as a deload too.  Probably could reduce accessories anyway since you're doing other events.  Just my 2c!  As usual training looks awesome man!  

Haha I meant next show. Already planning on World's in December.

I have 4 more deadlift sessions before the show. I was planning 645x6, 675x4 and 575x9, 625x7, and 655x5 as my top sets for the next four weeks. I'd hate to add too much volume, but I'm tempted to change my top sets to clusters of sorts.

Thanks Matt!

• 2 weeks later...

8/10/2017

Log Press (clean once)
322.7x3

Log Cluster
275x4,2,2  x2

Log Hold
320x30s

Lateral Raises

Ts and Ys

8/12

Arm Over Arm - switched to outside on torn up asphalt
360 for 25' to 270 for 25' more.

270 for 70' until I gophered the prowler.

8/13

Fatback Farmer's
305 - didn't do the last 4 deadlifts, index finger on my left hand started hurting too much
Farmer's Deadlift at 16" w/straps
305 x 10

My hands have been in rough shape this training cycle. My left index finger feels like a deep bone bruise or a hairline fracture or something starting in it. Just needs to survive for 4 more weeks.

8/15

Axle Deadlift
645x5+1
Wanted to take the whole minute, so did a slow 5 reps, took a 30 second break, and did the last rep.

Stiff Leg Deadlift
415x10

Bent Over Rows
305x8 with attempted slow negatives but they weren't that slow.

Narrow grip pulldown
320x8 (or was it 10?)

GHR
BW+45x8
BW+75x8

Reverse Hyper
230x20

8/17
Log Clean and Press (Clean each)
295x4, 5 (was planning 7, but underestimated how gassed I'd be).

Log Cluster
275x4, 2, 1 (planned 4,2,2 but the last rep I did was a tough strict press and I wouldn't have been able to get another)
275x4,2,2 (clean once on last two doubles) - went much better.

Log Hold
325x30s ugly

Log Strict Press
225x8

Log really exhausts me. Tough to get through the volume, and back is really worn out. Glad I have tomorrow off.

8/19

Keg picks

Keg carry and load

320x1

290,280,275 x1

8/20

Farmers deadlift with straps @16"

365x6

315x10

Arm over arm pull with frame

570x35' x3 

This is total weight, with the Prowler I just specified weight added.

All were around 13 seconds. Went light to save my finger.

8/21

Incline db press

110x10

Log lockout - from a height where my head just touches the log.

355x4

405x4

Log overhead hold

265x30s

Ts and Ys

Lateral raises

Edited by jwdeff

8/22

I think the Log overhead hold turned out to be too much for my back. Wasn't feeling deadlift today

Axle Deadlift

Up to 625x1, tried to pull faster at 575 and didn't so I called it. Didn't get hurt trying to force it, so I'll consider it a win.

Stiff-Leg Deadlift
395x4,8,10

Bent Over Row
265x8, 8, 8 

GHR
75x8,8

Reverse Hyper
270x20

8/24

Log Clean and Press

305x5 
305x2 - tried not dropping from overhead and it screwed with me.
285x5 - without dropping from overhead
265x6

Log Clean Once
265x8

Log Clean and Hold
355x15s

I'm still embarrassingly poorly conditioned for this event. I would be conditioning limited to get more than 5 reps. 5 reps was the most I thought I could hope for at 320, but I'd like to not limit myself by pace or conditioning should by some chance I could otherwise get 6. 7 would be impossible because I'd have to go so far as to change the pace of my pressing (I've been getting a rep every 10 seconds), and I couldn't imaging being good enough in 3 weeks to need to and be able to do that.

8/25

Keg Cleans
330x8

Finger pain started in other digits. Damn hands!

8/27

Farmer's Deadlift w/ straps
325x8

Trying to let me hands recover. Everything hurts.

On 8/24/2017 at 10:24 PM, jwdeff said:

8/24

Log Clean and Press

305x5 
305x2 - tried not dropping from overhead and it screwed with me.
285x5 - without dropping from overhead
265x6

Log Clean Once
265x8

Log Clean and Hold
355x15s

I'm still embarrassingly poorly conditioned for this event. I would be conditioning limited to get more than 5 reps. 5 reps was the most I thought I could hope for at 320, but I'd like to not limit myself by pace or conditioning should by some chance I could otherwise get 6. 7 would be impossible because I'd have to go so far as to change the pace of my pressing (I've been getting a rep every 10 seconds), and I couldn't imaging being good enough in 3 weeks to need to and be able to do that.

What about limiting your main set assistance and doing sets of 8 where you clean every rep?  Two weeks out you could start your taper and just do sets of 8 with something you can achieve, and 1 week out the empty log for a few sets of 60 seconds.  It's how I trained for the last clean every rep contest I had and seemed to work out really well