Deff Vs. Weights

jwdeff

10/10/2016 Monday

Coan Phillipi Week 1

Deadlift (75%): 1x2 @ 535 lbs 
Speed deadlift (60%): 8x3 @ 425 lbs (90 sec rest b/w sets)
3 circuits (rest 90sec between exercises, 2-3 minutes between circuits):
            Stiff-leg deadlift: 8 reps @ 295
            Bent over row: 8 reps @ 245
            Underhand (reverse) grip lat pulldown: 8 reps @ 230
            SSB Arched back good morning: 8 reps  255, 255, 215 (assuming 75lb SSB)

Spent most of the weekend moving equipment for a strongman competition. Not 100% but needed to get into it.

I'm looking at doing a powerlifting meet in January - Greg Nuckols may or may not have challenged me to a deadlift-off.  So I'm ditching my rehband belt and lifting in a hard belt alone. I also played with hook grip for a bit. I'd like to get proficient in it, it's just hard over 400. The intention was to do the work set with alt grip (after I gave up on hook grip during warmup), but I took too long a break between warmups and my first work set, and all around felt terrible, so I ended up strapping up for everything. 

Back was super sore on the good mornings. Not a dangerous soreness but enough that I lowered the weight on the last set. Golfer's elbow acted up during rows and pulldowns, so I ended up strapping in on that side with figure 8 straps for those two lifts. Need to get a rehab plan for this, I'm too good at training through pain that these things just get really bad over time.

Edited by jwdeff

10/11/2016 Tuesday

Right shoulder is still bothering me on lateral raises and a couple other random movements. Maybe strained my lateral delt on the Circus DB at ASM. I was able to bench with little to no pain by really concentrating on pulling my shoulder blades in. I also worked on a bit of an arch, and paused at the bottom. 

Bench
225x5
255x3
285x3
305x5 just paused on the first rep

Happy with this. I think this is the third time I've benched in the last 15 months. Shoulders held up, it's a good sign that maybe 385+ is possible for January.

DB Bench
110x8

ITYs
5x15 x2

Internal and External Rotator Cuff
10x15

Edited by jwdeff

10/13/2016 Thursday

I rarely get DOMS (except maybe from heavy ab wheel), but felt it in my chest from Tuesday.
This is the first time squatting since July I think, and then it was just up to 225 with slow negatives to rehab my patellar tendonosis. I haven't back squatted heavy since 2014 when I hit 600 in wraps. 

Squat
No wraps, hard belt only 
235x5 - w/ slow negatives
325x5 - w/slow negatives
415x7 - w/slightly slow negatives. Started Goodmorning too much so stopped there. Goal was ten. 

Switched to rehband and spud belts
325x20 - bodybuilder style, weak lockouts.

Dropped it down lighter, added a board to do some 5 second negatives for patella tendon rehab. I was too messed up from the set of 20 to do much of that though.

Reverse Hyper
50x~15 x3
Pretty much just for stretching and decompression

Ab Wheel
BWx8 x3
Too easy but still reeling from squats.

• Like 1

10/15/2016 Saturday

Keg Over 52" Bar
200x3
250x3
300x3
350x2
400x1

Strict Press
155x6 x3

Just working on mobility and shoulder pain. I managed to press from my chest each time. My first rep was hurting, turned out I was leaning way back for all but the first rep.

Bar Hangs

Lower back is pretty sore from the keg.

Edited by jwdeff

10/17/2016 Monday

Back is still in rough shape from last week. It was just too much for one week.

Step Ups
260x10 each side, alternating, to the 2nd lowest setting on the box.

GHR
BWx8
BW+45 x8
BW+75 (keg) x7 x2

Reverse Hyper

10/18/2016 Tuesday

Bench Press
325x4
Completely lost my tuck and did it anyway. Last week I was 90% focused on my shoulder blades and 10% focused on the lift, this time I was nervous about the weight for some reason and completely lost form.

Did some work lighter to work on my tuck / shoulder blades. 

Then went to do some pressing from pins, but I failed at 315 and 225 felt terrible. 

Reverse Hyper Rows
100x10, 150x10, 200x8
Just did some unilateral rows with the reverse hyper, just for a change.

ITYs
Went up to 15s on the Ys, hit like 10 reps and dropped down for 10 more with 10s. Might have done too much, we'll see how my lower traps feel tomorrow.

Front raises

Lateral Raises

Edited by jwdeff

Nice to see a new log - hope training's going well.

On hook grip deadlifts - out of interest when you mentioned it getting hard over 400, do you mean painful or hard to keep hold of the bar? If it's a discomfort issue, I had similar misgivings intially (albeit I'm not lifting as heavy as you) but I switched over to hook about a year ago and your hands do get used to it after a few months, I found that doing a lot of work with hook grip at light weights (110-220lbs) and then really helped condition my thumbs so that I can now pull all of my top sets hook without much discomfort (unless I go over 3 reps, at which point I usually go with straps) and personally I feel more solid than with mixed - so it's worth persevering IMO.

On 10/19/2016 at 5:30 AM, patrickmeniru said:

Nice to see a new log - hope training's going well.

On hook grip deadlifts - out of interest when you mentioned it getting hard over 400, do you mean painful or hard to keep hold of the bar? If it's a discomfort issue, I had similar misgivings intially (albeit I'm not lifting as heavy as you) but I switched over to hook about a year ago and your hands do get used to it after a few months, I found that doing a lot of work with hook grip at light weights (110-220lbs) and then really helped condition my thumbs so that I can now pull all of my top sets hook without much discomfort (unless I go over 3 reps, at which point I usually go with straps) and personally I feel more solid than with mixed - so it's worth persevering IMO.

For me the pain is too much of a distraction from the lift. I lose focus. I can double overhand well over 500. I'll keep at it in some warm up sets just to get it to come around. I'm going to do my top set alt grip just so I get used to that (I've always used straps for work sets) and see how hook comes along in the warmups.

Thanks Patrick.

10/20/2016

Back isn't getting better. Shoulders are feeling decent, my knee issues are pretty much behind me, then this. I've trained pretty much the same way for the last 5+ years, and the week I try to move to 5 days a week I get hurt.

Squatting wasn't happening, front squatting wasn't happening, so I did ab wheel, reverse hyper, hangs, and rehab stuff. I might be doing too much rehab, not really sure. Kind of depends on what is actually wrong with my back. It doesn't even hurt that much, just enough that I know I shouldn't squat.

10/25/2016

Bench Press
305x6 - pause first rep
225x20

Dumbbell Skull Crushers
50x8

Straight Arm Pulldown
90x10

Lateral Raises

Front Raises

Edited by jwdeff

12 hours ago, MattM said:

Finally caught up on this!  Hope you keep the log updated man, it's awesome to see you back on here!! <3

Glad to be back. Hopefully we see a Rudolf Vs. Weights next!

10/31/2016

Sumo Deadlift w/ hook grip

405x3
455x2
505x1 - with long hold at the top and slow negative.

Hurt so much.

Back is at 90% I think. Or the hook grip just masked the back pain. Either way I'm able to at least sumo deadlift again.

GHR

BWx10
BW+45x10
BW+90 x8 x3

Bent Over Rows
225x10
275x8 - slowish negatives. 

Neutral Wide Grip Pullups
BWx10, 12, 8

Straight Arm Pulldown
90x10 x2

11/1/2016

Bench Press

Pec popped on the 3rd rep. Series of pops up near my shoulder so I had my spotter take it. Got 330x2, was feeling good for 4.

Two days later it's feeling a lot better. I accidentally benched 130 today when demonstrating and there was very little pain.

11/3/2016

Squat

445x5

Felt good, no pain. Stopped before it became a good morning because there was pain around my sacrum when doing good mornings in warm-up.

Step ups - box one notch up.

280x10 each side

Reverse Hyper

140x12, 20

Knee a little sore for the first time in a while, but back held up good. Should have added slow negatives but didn't think of it.

Edited by jwdeff

11/7/2016

Sumo Deadlift w/ hook grip
405x3
455x2
495x1
545x1 - with long hold at the top and slow negative.

Felt good. Well, not good. More super painful. But I made it look like it felt good.

Stiff Leg DL
335x10

GHR
BWx10
+45x10
+90x8 x2

Pullups tweaked by pec.

Reverse Hyper
150x10 x2

Still really tentative with my back. Started to feel it a little after SLDL but it wasn't enough to make it worse. 

Kind of felt like the main point of today was thumb pain tolerance training. Probably need to start getting stronger and healthier too. I thought I had a good training day but it really looks more like (bad word filter)arounditis.

• Like 1

Stiff Leg DLs are looking really stong!  There's a strongman at southside who pulls around 800 with hook grip, when I have talked to him about it he said he tried to build up a lot of callous on that side of the thumb with lighter volume.  Not sure if that would make it much less painful though!

Thanks Matt - so far I like the high intensity low volume for hook. I can endure it a lot better at least. 

11/08/2016

Bench 
Work at 45 for my pec.

DB Rows
100x10
120x10
140x16

DB OH Strict Press - left only
Up to 80x8. Didn't feel great.

Circus DB
130x a handful - left only. Was concerned about my pec in positioning it so stopped there.

11/10/2016

Squat
485x4 
Still no wraps, with underbelt, and lever belt unlevered. Not bad for only being the 3rd time doing heavy back squats in the last couple years. Hoping to make continued "projected max" gains of 15lbs per week for the next few weeks in getting back to my old numbers, then I'll add wraps.

Squat with heel raised, slow negative (Patellar Tendon Rehab)
225x10 x3

Front Squat
315x10 ? 

DB Rows
140x15?

Lateral Raises

11/12/2016

Still gunshy about doing too much work each week, so just did jerks up to 195 for doubles and triples. 

I'm going to try to add these every training session to try to get my mobility back. I think actually doing movements (along with my lacrosse ball work) will do a better job getting mobile than stretching. Stretching seems to make things worse.

11/14/2016

Sumo Deadlift w/ Hook Grip
595x1 with hold and slow negative
Hook Grip PR. I'm pretty sure I can handle anything with hook grip now. Surprised it came along this fast. The key for me was to never expect it to get less painful, just embrace the pain.

Sumo Deadlift w/straps
595x6

Snatch Grip Deadlift
315x10

Jerks
Up to 205x2 x several

Overhead Squat
Worked on mobility.

• Like 2

11/15/2016

Bench
45x lots
95x lots
135x9 - started to feel the pec on the 9th rep.

Jerk
95x2 x4
Took longer than normal to get warmed up, and felt terrible.

Prowler Conditioning - Pushed it 40, Pulled it 40
90x1
180x2
270x4? short breaks.
Felt pretty dizzy and light headed. My training partner threw up. 

Took some time to come down. 

Ys
10x10 x3

Internal and external shoulder rotations at 10

Reverse Grip Tricep Pushdown
40x10
60x8 x2?

Forgot to do upper back. Lucky to remember much at all after the prowler though.