Liam's Inch Log

Liam Trott

This log will track my main grip training goal: being the lightest person to lift The Inch. This morning I weighed in at 132lbs. It will be quite a long term log as I have a long way to go. Starting off I am going to focus on rotating handle deadlifts and pinch work.

• Like 2

Good luck, will follow this with a lot of interest.

Do you have an inch trainer or a wrist wrench to help you on your journey to lifting the Inch replica?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grind said:

Good luck, will follow this with a lot of interest.

Do you have an inch trainer or a wrist wrench to help you on your journey to lifting the Inch replica?

I have an Inch trainer. Once my pinch and crusher numbers are improved I will have a go with it. Probably when I hit my first big plateau to spice things up a bit.

Don't forget the inch trainer also trains the wrist which the pinch and crusher won't. If you want to lift the inch you need to train the inch. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grind said:

Don't forget the inch trainer also trains the wrist which the pinch and crusher won't. If you want to lift the inch you need to train the inch. 

Yes, I know I need to work on thick bar wrist curls with the trainer as well. I will do that sooner rather than later. Just need to buy some more weight plates!

• Like 1

First session done. Reasonably easy going as I have been off for a couple of weeks. Note I will put weights in kg and lbs but I am going to drop the oz so it won't be completely exact. I am going to hit rolling handle deadlift once per week and the pinch and wrist curls stuff three times. I do some other stuff (grippers, prehab, bouldering) but will keep this log focused on what is pertinent to my Inch training. My main measure for improvement at the moment is going to be total volume hence recording total reps/time and weight for each movement.

Weight: 60kg/132lbs

60mm rolling handle deadlift: 1 x 3 x 32kg/70lbs, 1 x 3 x 34kg/74lbs, 1 x 3 x 36kg/79lbs, 3 x 1 x 38kg/83lbs, 3 x 1 40kg/88lbs (15 reps, 540kg/1190lbs)

50mm 2HP: tested what weight I could hold for 13 seconds to find a training weight for following sessions, I got 25kg/55lbs which is under shooting a little but that's not an issue

Inch trainer wrist curls (vertical): 3 x 5 x 15kg/33lbs (15 reps, 225kg/496lbs) I could have managed more weight but will build up slowly, I notice the movement irritates my left thumb a little so we will see how that develops

Because of an long injury I got triggerpoints in my forearms. The only grip stuff I do at the moment is the inch trainer and wrist extensions once a week. I really love training with the inch trainer.

I think I will also start updating my log.

I thinks out stats on the implements are very close.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grind said:

Because of an long injury I got triggerpoints in my forearms. The only grip stuff I do at the moment is the inch trainer and wrist extensions once a week. I really love training with the inch trainer.

I think I will also start updating my log.

I thinks out stats on the implements are very close.

Old injuries suck. They can really slow down progress. I will keep an eye on your log too.

Weight: 61kg/134lbs

50mm 2HP: 4 x 10 seconds x 25kg (40 seconds, 100kg/220lbs) here I will work up to 6 x 10 seconds and then up the weight and drop back down to 4 x 10 seconds

Inch trainer wrist curls (vertical): 4 x 5 x 15kg/33lbs (20 reps, 300kg/661lbs) I am going to work up to 5 x 5 then up the weight and drop back down to 3 x 5

In other news I had a gait analysis done yesterday at a science fair and everything is in order except a slight lean caused by under active glute muscles. Seeing as I am working do deadlift something heavy off the floor this seems like something I should address so I am going to do some glute isolation exercises to get them firing properly.

Weight: 61kg/134lbs

50mm 2HP: 5 x 10 seconds x 25kg (50 seconds, 125kg/275lbs)

Inch trainer wrist curls (vertical): 5 x 5 x 15kg/33lbs (25 reps, 375kg/826lbs)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Been out of the game for a bit. Uni along with work has been more brutal than I expected. I played around with my pinch block and grippers yesterday. Getting back into it now. It took a semester to get on top of the stress of full time study and close to fully time work side by side.

Weight: 62kg/136lbs

50mm 2HP: I tested my 13 second training max to find a starting weight and settled with 19.4kg, quite a drop in strength but I expect it to come back quickly enough. Tomorrow I will do my first pinch session. I've been playing around with my grippers too but nothing serious yet. Tomorrow I may find a new training max for my rolling handle DL too.

50mm 2HP: 4 x 10 seconds x 19kg. Felt quite easy, think my next max test will be quite a bit higher.

I didn't test my rolling handle DL training max as I did a pretty brutal bouldering session yesterday. Did some gnarly climbs I wasn't planning on doing. I will test it on Monday. I'll also set up my Inch trainer tomorrow for wrist curls, probably starting quite light.

Edited by Liam Trott
spelling

Found time for my wrist curls.

Inch trainer wrist curls (vertical): 3 x 5 x 15kg (225kg). Again, it was okay. Like last time I will work up to 5 x 5, drop down to 3 x 5 and up the weight.

50mm 2HP: 5 x 10 seconds x 19kg.

Inch trainer wrist curls (vertical): 4 x 5 x 15kg (300kg).

Didn't find time to start with my rolling handle DL but I have been up to a lot this weekend. I have also started running again tentatively. It definitely makes me feel better when I do it.

Long day today so only had time for pinch work just before bed.

50mm 2HP: 5 x 10 seconds x 19kg. Felt much better this session than the first, I think I should be able to add a few kilos and still leave some in the tank.

50mm 2HP: I tested my 13 second training max for the next set of sessions and managed 21.4kg with a tiny bit left in the tank. The last few sessions I was actually listing 19.4kg. I am happy with a 2kg increase at this stage.

50mm 2HP: 4 x 10 seconds x 21.4kg. I thought this would feel heavy especially as I was suffering from a food coma but it actually felt reasonably light. I'm confident I will be able to up my training max respectably at the end of the week. I was at 25kg before so it makes sense that I can get back to that point quite quickly.

Inch trainer wrist curls (vertical): 5 x 8 x 15kg. I added another 4kg so the reps are going to come back down. Everything is fine on my right but the inside of my left thumb hurts when doing this. I may end up doing less reps or singles on that side if it persists. Not really sure what is causing it, whether it will go away as I get stronger. If the pain starts sticking around after my workouts then I will definitely change approach for my left side.

I'm happy to be getting back into things smoothly. I am also doing other things again. I have started a bare-bones routine of pull-ups and dips and I am running again. I will get some training going for pistol squats and core shortly but want to ease back into it.

50mm 2HP: 5 x 10 seconds x 21.4kg. Was tired so not as strong as the last session but still felt fine.

Inch trainer wrist curls (vertical): 5 x 3 x 19kg. Decent enough start at this weight. No pain in my left thumb this time.

50mm 2HP: 6 x 10 seconds x 21.4kg. Felt solid. Will test my new 13 second max next workout.

Inch trainer wrist curls (vertical): 5 x 5 x 19kg. Weaker on the left than right but generally fine. Will stick with this weight for a while til my left is stronger.

50mm 2HP: New training max of 23kg which I am happy with. I should be back up to my old training weight very soon.

Otherwise, I am bouldering okay, my running is slowly getting back on track (about to go out now for half an hour) and I am doing pull-ups and dips and my work capacity is coming back. All in all I am happy to be back training again. I need to set up my rolling handle soon as I should be doing some rolling handle DLs but have been a bit lazy setting it up.

Training entry for last Friday. Was busy looking for apartments and generally organising so just pinch work again.

50mm 2HP: 4 x 10 secs x 23kg.