RRBT Program

SouthEndCrusher

Hello all, I'm currently about 1/8th of an inch from closing the COC #1.5. My current goal is to be able to rep the CoC #2 with both hands. Do you guys with experience in the programs think the RRBT Program will get me there? I've been training grippers for about 4 months without a formal training program.

Thanks.

It will most likely get you there. However I think you can progress a bit more before starting it. Personally I wouldn't do RRBT until I can use the COC#2 for the program.

If you haven't followed a program before there's a great chance that you will progress quite easily with one. Start a training log and log everything you do also.

In my opinion you should at least be able to close the #1.5 for five solid wide reps before you start RRBT.

13 hours ago, SouthEndCrusher said:

Hello all, I'm currently about 1/8th of an inch from closing the COC #1.5. My current goal is to be able to rep the CoC #2 with both hands. Do you guys with experience in the programs think the RRBT Program will get me there? I've been training grippers for about 4 months without a formal training program.

Thanks.

how far have you progressed in the 4 months? if the answer is "lots and you are still experiencing newbie gains" then keep doing what your doing until you stop getting better, then start RRBT. If you have already got as far as you think your current regime will take you then just start it now. I wouldn't put a specific number on what you need to do before you start it, but you don't want to rush into RRBT too quickly whilst you are still getting used to gripping, or you will find your gripper selection going up too fast and it could lead to an injury.

RRBT is an awesome program and will help you PR for sure.  But if your hands are not ready for it, it will kill you.  My hands were seasoned pretty good from grippers and bending and RRBT still did a number on me, at least initially.  

10 hours ago, exarmy said:

how far have you progressed in tcouldn'tmonths? if the answer is "lots and you are still experiencing newbie gains" then keep doing what your doing until you stop getting better, then start RRBT. If you have already got as far as you think your current regime will take you then just start it now. I wouldn't put a specific number on what you need to do before you start it, but you don't want to rush into RRBT too quickly whilst you are still getting used to gripping, or you will find your gripper selection going up too fast and it could lead to an injury.

When I started I could close the Trainer about 7-8 times and the #0.5 once to three times if warmed up. 

I've been doing about 3-4 sets (10 reps) with #0.5 and 3 sets with the #1 (3-5 reps). I have been relatively conservatIve in order to avoid injury.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

It will most likely get you there. However I think you can progress a bit more before starting it. Personally I wouldn't do RRBT until I can use the COC#2 for the program.

If you haven't followed a program before there's a great chance that you will progress quite easily with one. Start a training log and log everything you do also.

In my opinion you should at least be able to close the #1.5 for five solid wide reps before you start RRBT.

Can you recommend a program for me?

I currently have CoC G-#2. And GHP 1-4.

1 hour ago, SouthEndCrusher said:

When I started I could close the Trainer about 7-8 times and the #0.5 once to three times if warmed up. 

I've been doing about 3-4 sets (10 reps) with #0.5 and 3 sets with the #1 (3-5 reps). I have been relatively conservatIve in order to avoid injury.

I think it's a bit strange that you can't close the #1.5 but can do 3 sets of 5 reps with the #1. Their resistance must be very far apart and that's why I think it's strange because they usually aren't.

Don't be afraid of injuries, you won't be injured if you warm up properly and stick to 2-3 times a week with 3-4 sets.

As for a program, I'm not sure, try something simple. Train twice per week, one day with light gripper (one you can do 10-15 reps with) and one heavy day that you can do 5-7 reps with. Start with 3 sets for the heavy day and then add a rep next week until you reach 10-12 reps with that gripper. With the light gripper you can do the same thing but start at a higher rep count. 

The most important thing when you train with grippers is to give max effort, I've seen so many people giving up to early when trying to close a heavy gripper. You really need to squeeze with everything you got for at least 7 seconds on each attempt, doesn't matter if you're closing the gripper or not, it's the effort that is important. If you do that it doesn't matter too much what gripper you're actually using.

Also, don't forget to train your forearms with bicep curls, wrist curls and the reverse movements to these. Also try some pinching if you have the opportunity. I would stay away from thick bar though, that will most likely be too much.

Edited by Fist of Fury

20 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I think it's a bit strange that you can't close the #1.5 but can do 3 sets of 5 reps with the #1. Their resistance must be very far apart and that's why I think it's strange because they usually aren't.

Don't be afraid of injuries, you won't be injured if you warm up properly and stick to 2-3 times a week with 3-4 sets.

As for a program, I'm not sure, try something simple. Train twice per week, one day with light gripper (one you can do 10-15 reps with) and one heavy day that you can do 5-7 reps with. Start with 3 sets for the heavy day and then add a rep next week until you reach 10-12 reps with that gripper. With the light gripper you can do the same thing but start at a higher rep count. 

The most important thing when you train with grippers is to give max effort, I've seen so many people giving up to early when trying to close a heavy gripper. You really need to squeeze with everything you got for at least 7 seconds on each attempt, doesn't matter if you're closing the gripper or not, it's the effort that is important. If you do that it doesn't matter too much what gripper you're actually using.

Also, don't forget to train your forearms with bicep curls, wrist curls and the reverse movements to these. Also try some pinching if you have the opportunity. I would stay away from thick bar though, that will most likely be too much.

Thanks, I'll try that. The #1.5 was my original goal gripper, it has eluded me so far. But once I get there the #2 will be in my sights.

Yes I think you definitely get there soon if you stay consistent, thats the key, don't miss any workouts and always work hard. You have the GHP4 which is going to bridge the gap to the #2 for you.

• Like 1

On a side note, I ended up purchasing RRBT. I intend to start this When I get past the #1.5 and can at least close the #2 as per the recommendations here.

One thing I read was the term "Doubles" to a certain number of reps. Does that mean you do two quick reps as fast as you can and that counts as 1 rep toward the number specified?

Just reading ahead and wasn't certain.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Edited by SouthEndCrusher

This should be clarified in the RRBT sub-forum, if you don't have access to it you should PM "Wannagrip".

Doubles counts as two reps.

• Like 1