Kill, Maim, Slay. Vol. 1 - I'm Seeing Red

richcottrell

26 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

I will take that dumbbell off your hands. To help you focus, of course.

Which Dumbbell are you talking about?

and I thought you retired last year?

• 4 months later...

I used to have a home here... or at least a small shed to train in...
Summer is here so it is time for a Coronna-19 2020 fitness and Grip plan...

First some updates:
Fitness - I have not done a thing
Weight - 171
CoC - well less then 100#
Pullups - ha ha ha

Corona updates:
We got real lucky here in the suburbs.of Philadelphia.  A neighbor gave us a 14 foot trampoline for free and he also brought it down the street for free.  I only had to reinstall the safety netting... took about 100 zip ties to do it, but it did not cost my anything.
Then my wife's boss gave us a free standing basketball hoop.
The boys are in 6th, 3rd, and 2nd grade, so if the community pool is closed this summer I am going to need stuff here are home for the boys.

I also got some grip friendly stuff in the yard.
First I took a bunch of my David Horne WofG equipment and I hung the implements from my kids monkey bars. Actually there is also a CannonBall there from Soinex, and two different size jugs from FBBC. 
Tanner and Adam would easily distroy this ninja warrior grip course.

I also rehung a 15 foot climbing rope from a tree.  I only have it about 12 feet in the air right now.  If i can get a hold of a longer ladder I will rehang that rope someplace higher, and I will also hang a cow bell for the kids to ring if the can make it to the top.

I am looking forward to trying to light a fire under my own but this summer.  Next week I am going to finally make my own Gada.

• Like 4

Sounds like a great setup to keep you and the boys busy! I'm excited to see your gada! My 6 year old loves to shimmy up our rope, the cowbell is a great idea. It would combine his two biggest interests: climbing and making noise.

• 1 month later...

Injury Report:
None

Weight:
168lbs

Did my first bending in ages at The Ambassador's house yesterday. 
I was very sad to see Nate get rid of 92% of his Grip Gear over the past few years, but now that he is focused on that Gold Nail, I can understand how all that cool grip stuff just became "clutter" in his basement.  He has a clear Double Overhand [DO] goal.  And we are talking a Single Rep Max.

While I visited Nate with the intent to bend again, I have decided my goal must be completely opposite to Nate's.  I plan on bending both DO as well as Double Underhand and Reverse.  I also plan on doing the 3 different styles ALL as part of my weekly training. 
I still have to dial this all in, but the plan is for two bending days a week.  Thursday will be "group bending" with me visiting Nate or just hitting him up on Zoom.  That day will have Single Rep Maxes, but I will also be using the David Horne WD2 as well as an ancient York Iron Shoe.

If I ever get my hernia taken care of, I will be adding horseshoe bending to my Big Steel Thursday.

On Session One I did these bends.

* Double Overhand in IMPs:
Drill Rod "F" - went easy enough; slightly off center; 1 1/4" wide
Drill Rod 17/64 - after many hits only got 15deg; did some more hits getting 21deg

* Iron Shoe
* DHWD [setting 1:1]

*DO
Hex 1/4" - only got a slight wobble

* Double Underhand in IMPs
CRS 1/4 apx 10deg

*DO
Drill Rod F - to apx 1 1/2"
Drill rod 17/64" - only a wobble

*WD for 5 reps each [setting 1:1]
5 reps each [1:2]
* Iron Shoe

* Double Underhand in IMPS
two (2) Square 1/8"
Galvanized 60d nail - to 25deg
square 1/8

* Reverse Style
one galvanized 60d nail

* Big Rest

* Double Overhand in 1 and 1/2 Imps
Drill Rod 17/64 - to axp 3inch spread.

On 6/1/2020 at 11:30 AM, richcottrell said:

First some updates:
Fitness - I have not done a thing
Weight - 171
CoC - well less then 100#
Pullups - ha ha ha

Corona updates:
We got real lucky here in the suburbs.of Philadelphia.  A neighbor gave us a 14 foot trampoline for free and he also brought it down the street for free.  I only had to reinstall the safety netting... took about 100 zip ties to do it, but it did not cost my anything.
Then my wife's boss gave us a free standing basketball hoop.
The boys are in 6th, 3rd, and 2nd grade, so if the community pool is closed this summer I am going to need stuff here are home for the boys.

I also got some grip friendly stuff in the yard.
First I took a bunch of my David Horne WofG equipment and I hung the implements from my kids monkey bars. Actually there is also a CannonBall there from Soinex, and two different size jugs from FBBC. 
Tanner and Adam would easily distroy this ninja warrior grip course.

I also rehung a 15 foot climbing rope from a tree.  I only have it about 12 feet in the air right now.  If i can get a hold of a longer ladder I will rehang that rope someplace higher, and I will also hang a cow bell for the kids to ring if the can make it to the top.

I am looking forward to trying to light a fire under my own but this summer.  Next week I am going to finally make my own Gada.

• Like 6

Awesome you are back to bending! It will be fun to train all 3 unbraced styles. I think all are fun and it helps you stay healthy to be strong in all angles. 

• Like 2

I might not be seeing Red as bright as I once did, but I see a faint glimmer.

tomorrow I train agsin

• Like 2

I did not train on tomorrow...

Funny how things work.  Real Qwarky

• Haha 1

Sunday is bending day... so I better get to bed ASAP as it is 2:10am and I still have today's honey do list.

• Like 2

This is a shameless plug, but it is also my excuse on why i did not train this weekend. 

[Respectfully; please notice that I do not care that this breaks the forum rules.  The international decorum that manleyness says there is never a good excuse not to train is vastly outdated training advice. ]

That is right, I just said this is a shameless plug that I I am about to give!
  My oldest son's newest creation.  His finally started his own YouTube channel.  He has been talking about it for months.

It is not Grip related, but it is a LEGO channel. 

It does take a special type of grip for some of those small legos, but instead I am just happy for Boden.  He is 12.
BC Bricks

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC50FIMXERApB6WI8M7-o3Dw/about

• Like 2

And here  is where we play

0DB69922-5027-4389-9066-FAF993A86B18.jpeg

BC98DF29-4AB8-4DEA-8CE4-A612C0AFA07F.jpeg

• Like 1

Future American Ninja Warriors!

I like how you can switch out the implements. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

“Take you back”

Back when I lived in the actual city of Brotherly Love,  I lived about 500 meters from the Phillies baseball stadium.  
Back then, on my off days, I would ride my bicycle from our row home in South Philly, through the city, to get to my BJJ school downtown.  It was three miles of pure level riding.  The only drawback was all the stops you would have to make.

i would ride through the famed Philly Italian Market.  [made even more famous in the movie Rocky.]

The peddlers at the  Market still sell the vegetables and fruits out of these small stands that filter out into the streets making the road narrow enough to be considered a alley street).

Yes they still burn the wooden boxes for heat in the winter there just like in Rocky.  That was not a Hollywood idea. 

Meanwhile, just further north there were “those guys” who would pop open their car trunk and it would be  fulled with expensive shoes  for sale at “steal prices”.  Sometimes it was watches; other times it was perfumes for sale.  
I bet back in 1984 you could have gotten a Cabbage Page Kid doll there too!

They were steal deal prices probably because they were already stollen!

Well, the reason for that backstory is today I was one of those shady vendors!
The difference was I was not offering “steals” - instead I was bending steel.

I was bending short bars in the parking lot of a big multi use - yet old — industrial warehouse in north Philadelphia.  It is where my kid does gymnastics.

so after I got my son Liam settled in I went outside to call The Ambassador.

facetime did not workout so it was an audio co-bending session.

between the heat, not being able to get my interior car light to turn off, and forgetting my chalk, it was a real rushed session.  

I wish I could say that it was the cops who broke up the Tailgate Party, but the reality is I am way out of shape and I only got a wobble out of a 17/64 drill rod  

While the work might have been minimal compared to some, at least not one person stopped me or bothered me.

I also forgot my clamps so wrapping was slow, and the humidity is soooooo high.    In hindsight, I should have just borrowed some chalk from the gymnastics school.  
going to leave chalk and a set on clamps in the car from now on.

it took longer to write this then it did to bend it .

i did not do DU this week because I have a real sharp pain in both wrist in the pictured area.   I have been told DU can aggravate that area of the wrist.   Any second opinions?

465570D8-35C0-4540-BC7F-27C927F65118.jpeg

B4CAE162-7A7C-4EFB-BEF0-02B939553FB1.jpeg

AA20340B-C6FC-48C0-BA82-2634F3D0DD0E.jpeg

• Like 6

It seems like the only thing bending these days is my nerves.  Classic case of the COVID Kids Syndrome.

Today I was angry as my lawn mower took 4 weeks to be fixed and it broke again about 40 min into new deployment.  With all these weeks off, I was going to make back of my yard the Scottish Highlands [Hint Hint],  but when I got the call the machine was ready, I was ready to make the front yard as nice as a baseball field.

tomorrow is my last day "off" before a couple dozen MLB baseball games, so my plan is to do some solo bending

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Injury Report:
None Diagnosed

Weight:
162lbs

Nagging Pains:
- My typical spondylitis Hip pain [currently right side]
- Same pain in left wrist area just below the palm pictured in my last post.

Training:
Ha, ha, ha

The only think that makes this update worth while, is I have finally recorded a handful of days in a row at the weight of 162lbs [in the morning], so I am confident, if I wanted to actually train for a gripsort event, I should be in that "heavy end" of a lighter weight class

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The only red I have been seeing these days is Phillies baseball...

sad but true

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richcottrell said:

The only red I have been seeing these days is Phillies baseball...

sad but true

"Life keeps getting in the way of my grip/bending." - Anwnate.   ;)

• 3 weeks later...

while I was not bending, now that sorts work has slowed dow for me, I get to drive my one son to gymnastics three times a week.  There I can lift weights.

so on Wednesday I did some:
Deadlifts with Manus Grips
Rowing Machine with Manus Grips

basic ab work

ended with a session on my knees doing. alternating mini pinch lifts with a 25lb dumbbell on its side until I could no linger.  (that is right... 25lbs)

Small steps

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Seven Months Sober

weight down well under 160.  Closer to 155.  

Started experimenting with Cold Shower training in an effort to combat inflammation.  Time will tell.

Edited by richcottrell
  • Like 2

• 10 months later...

I have never done the Chris Rice inspired birthday benchmarking, but if I did -- this year I would have an excuse NOT to test.  At least not for a few weeks...

On Tuesday morning, I finally got my Hernia repaired!  

Turns out, I actuaLLY had two.  The Main Event, being an umbilical hernia I gave myself bending horseshoes years ago.
For that, I had robotic surgery where they inserted some mesh to try to keep my guts behind the abs.

Currently on the mend.  Not sure the real extent of the second hernia repair, but I have three incision marks on my right side, and one incision mark on the left.  I guess that mark on the left is the "other one".

But today starts my 46th year.  While I still feel like a kid; I am no longer a young buck.  Actually, I have not been one for years.  

Today I am a little older,  possibly a little wiser.  Certainly better off today, then yesterday. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Ow1nlafOg

• Like 3

On 11/26/2021 at 8:49 AM, richcottrell said:

I have never done the Chris Rice inspired birthday benchmarking, but if I did -- this year I would have an excuse NOT to test.  At least not for a few weeks...

On Tuesday morning, I finally got my Hernia repaired!  

Turns out, I actuaLLY had two.  The Main Event, being an umbilical hernia I gave myself bending horseshoes years ago.
For that, I had robotic surgery where they inserted some mesh to try to keep my guts behind the abs.

Currently on the mend.  Not sure the real extent of the second hernia repair, but I have three incision marks on my right side, and one incision mark on the left.  I guess that mark on the left is the "other one".

But today starts my 46th year.  While I still feel like a kid; I am no longer a young buck.  Actually, I have not been one for years.  

Today I am a little older,  possibly a little wiser.  Certainly better off today, then yesterday. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Ow1nlafOg

Wow, Rich, I had no idea of all the troubles, but also glad to see they are mostly behind you.  Onward!  There is lots more life to be lived at the wee age of 46, says this 52.  Be well, hope to see you at a comp again soon, maybe not Gripmas yet given the hernias although the breakfast sandwiches alone MIGHT be worth the trip ...

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess Hernia Jokes -- complete with Weird Al doing an entire Hernia Parody song -- is just not enough self humor and humiliation for a gripping lightweight, as in LIGHT WEIGHT., lifting fat skinny guy??.?

Just having to admit I gave myself not just one Hernia attempting to bent what is only a Newborn, Greenhorn , Wire thin, St Croix...
 but I had also Gaven mysel orseshow one.  fTWO.

-- are just too much for today's Facebook gangs...
But I forgot to do something the other day ..

At least my 46th Birthday "Records" should include some basic body composition type stuff
It is going to be a LONG  SiX weeks before I can lift even 15 lbs!

too compare for my 47th birthday, where I will do a few Chris Rice inspired Fitness benchmarks.  I will not have much to go off as for real records not compare to, but I do have my senior year Track Race results for not only the Pole Vault which I would do In College, but I have my 300meter Hurdles, 110 yard dash; 440 meter; 800 meter; 

Age:       46years; (plus 3 days, 12 hours, 33.25min. and NEVER enough seconds...) 
Weight:  158lbs in my birthday suite

Height:   5'8" in my youth.  
Not now days....  
Current Height:   5' 7.22" {taken on day of surgery as 5"7.5"

That right, on my 46th birthday, I am already shorter  them my height it see written down on my first Adult Drivers License {my Pennsylvania Over 21yrs License, [ the NOW I can Really Drink ! Drivers license; so I know for a fact they measured me at the DFMV for that piece of plastic.

So we are talking maybe at 19 years old I was measured for that 5"8"; and then I have had some doctors assistants measure me, and I have three Colonoscopy Hospital records listing me at 5"8"/ hospital records as far back 2001.

So it is safe to say, as a new member to the OSD Club; this Old MAN Whom Breaks Real Easy Now; Will not have to be tortured for any Warranty Extension being offered on this body!

I now see quite clear trend;
I have a real lifestyle problem .  And It is leading to me shrinking  fraction with every 20 years aged... But these last 10 years, I have Really hammer this body of mine>>>

"me gets shorter...?"

Seriously, I better address my [p]osture and THE HIPs....THE HIPS..... my hips.
I gOT to get ThEm si-joints addressed as well.  That is my real pain area in life 

I was seriously taller at points in my life, them my current 5"7.5

I walk slower these days due to Ankylosing Spondylitis.  Effects my Hips and is joints the most.  Worst part is the pain and inflammation is more cyclical then corollary to activity or diet.  Just too many variable too figure my case out but al least I NO LONGER take ANY injectable medications.  for two or three years I was on Humeira , nd I was vary happy when the Rheumatologist took. me off that stuff.

Weight: 157.4lbs (not bad for just 6 days post op, and  I was tipping the scales the wrong direction all the way to a  182lbs west line.

just two years ago, not a bad weight for a totally out of shape father and husband of three boys [13,10,9]

Fitness Tests for this year:
1) NONE:
   {due-to-Da'Rucking-HERNIAs} 
Mobility
  {see hernia}
Flexibility
  {actually while I am still very far from being a flexible person, let alone I was NEVER a flexible Athlete in my lifetime.
But in the last 536 days I have totally stopped drinking any Alcohol at AlL.    I am currently Sober now sensed fathers day two years ago.  
One day at a time there...
But it is amazing how the weight just slowly fell off my body.  I went from 182 when I was a 40 year old 182 lbs Alcoholic with a Grip Problem, to being a 46 year old 156.4 lbs  NON-athlete.

Today I am a little older,  
possibly a little wiser.  

I was certainly better off today, then I was yesterday. 
Any while I stay up late, surfing to postpone tomorrow, I have a better day yet coming in the morning!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I was in the mall at Christmas and I found a bunch of mini cowbells for the lack of a better name at the mall. They were on clearance so I bought a bunch. 

just found something to do with few Horse shoes.C689994B-4B8D-45EA-B1C7-D1EFC61F7116.thumb.jpeg.a7f46468d002c59882ab38b1b5322124.jpegI never liked the ones that I’d bent off centered or the ones I weren’t able to actually make a heart out of, but now I realize the off-center nature makes them good for making wind chimes.

those TacNail holes make for lots of verity in hanging points  

• Like 1

71.7kg

• 2 weeks later...

72.6 kg this morning…. 
If I actually did any cardio, I think I could always be sub 74kg.

I think it is time I should Re-shape my goal of The Red.

going to give the hernia a long time to heal.  I lost too much work from the surgery, let alone the recovery.

Joined the local Arboretum.  Going to use good old fashioned “walks through the trees” as time to rethink the big question of:

”why am I here again?

I did not discover the GripBoard to learn about bending.  That came later.

I came here for knowledge and later found comradeship.

I still have a weak grip.  I think I let myself get too distracted…

No time to go back in time, just time to move forward!

RC