Kill, Maim, Slay. Vol. 1 - I'm Seeing Red

richcottrell

On 5/17/2018 at 12:06 AM, JHenze646 said:

So what is your plan?

To be honest, i have yet to get on a real plan or program... but at least I have stayed away from the ice cream so far.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The time has come... it is time to get the fire burning again.

Nate Brous, while he dropped off the gripboard for a while, is alive and last weekend he hosted another small tristate  “grip together” and by luck the baseball game I was supposed to work was rained out so I got to hang out and do some grip (which I have not done for months)

it was great to see old friends, and meet both  Vinnie from nyc  and Nate’s neighbor who was given his first taist of Grip, (and he clearly is one strong dude).

i brought an IKEA frying Pan - probably 11 or 12 inches— and Anton drew the short straw to try and roll it up like Dennis Rogers.  I give him a bunch of credit as he never even tried the feat before and it was a used pan, so it had to be harder then a new one as it has been “heat treated” for years on a weekly basis... 

here is a cool photo af Anton moments after he bit off the handle (ok, I made that part up, but he did bend the heck out of the pan).  Trying to pst a video as well but it is long.

anyway, at one point Anton got me to try some DO bending again... started with an “G” drill rod   Got that one easy enough    Tried for an “I” but I could only get it to wobble... so Anton kinked it for me and I finished it off.   I tried another “I” after that but again I could only wobble it... ( IMPs)

D96398E7-B313-42B1-906C-2B838C508AE2.jpeg

Edited by richcottrell
  • Like 7

Great photo of Anton and the pan!! Good to here you are going to get back at it. Are you going to focus on bending? What is the plan? keep us updated.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Are you going to focus on bending? What is the plan? keep us updated.

I am going to try to get going with bending, but I need to get some basic fitness going.  I am actually thinking about starting to do some weekly hiking in the state park near me.

Last week I took a weekday with my oldest son and we casually hiked from 11:30 till about 4.   It is all flat so my knees and hips felt fine the next day.   I am 42 now, but for the past years I have been feeling much older.  I would love to run again, but I am always left in pain the next day.  Got 20 lbs to try to start chipping away at.

as for bending, I am going to take it real slow this time.   Going to try to have volume days with 60d for now; maybe twice a week.  I think I would also like to learn reverse bending so i will use my wrist developer on the bending days as well (I am not strong enough to reverse a 60d yet)

eventually i will start hitting that drill rod alphabet. 

This is my “restart” from two or or three nights ago— DO bends done in art store leather. (I will go back to the IMPs eventually)

A79EE4FA-D3A8-4769-8AF0-BC69C7D63562.jpeg

• Like 5

Very glad to hear youre back in it Rich! Great time Saturday and look forward to more mutilation of kitchenry to come! Train the hell out of your kink and that I drill rods a goner!

• Like 2

well tonight i had a few and bent a few...
Got a few cans of Narragansett beer and gave myself a hour to bend at least 10 of my "dull" 60D nails.  The plan was for DO, but first I would have to wrap each nail in Plastic Food Wrap, as these nails flake all over the place.
I did the first 5 DO as planned, but then I decided to try the 6th and 7th as Reverse and then finish them as DO.  
I AM NEW TO REVERSE and I need to learn more, but:
I did the first one using my Left arm as the anchor arm, and it bent easy enough, but when I tried the next on my right side, I just could not get it to go!   so i switched back to the left side. [I am right handed BTW]

Then I went back to DO and did two more dull 60Ds
Then I got a little risky and did a DO with one of my shinny 60D nails which are harder then those flaky dull ones.

Then I tried Reverse again and did one Dull 60d on the right, and one on the left side.

I finished out my time with three pieces of 6"x 1/4" from FBBC.  Not a bad nights work.  I did a few body weight rows in the middle of the bending, and I also opened three beers total (so far)...

820B6AF0-9427-4A2C-A40E-4C1241356D91.jpeg

74760344-FA6E-4514-A26C-BD7661751AA7.jpeg

It is small progress Anton, but thanks for help in motivation... before I stopped bending, I was bending those “I” drill rods actually, and even kinked a few “K”s.

Need to get going but my next update will have at lease one new use for old blended horseshoes...

Edited by richcottrell
  • Like 5

Good stuff - keep it consistent and you'll be bending L this time around - train that kink!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, richcottrell said:

well tonight i had a few and bent a few...
Got a few cans of Narragansett beer and gave myself a hour to bend at least 10 of my "dull" 60D nails.  The plan was for DO, but first I would have to wrap each nail in Plastic Food Wrap, as these nails flake all over the place.
I did the first 5 DO as planned, but then I decided to try the 6th and 7th as Reverse and then finish them as DO.  
I AM NEW TO REVERSE and I need to learn more, but:
I did the first one using my Left arm as the anchor arm, and it bent easy enough, but when I tried the next on my right side, I just could not get it to go!   so i switched back to the left side. [I am right handed BTW]

Then I went back to DO and did two more dull 60Ds
Then I got a little risky and did a DO with one of my shinny 60D nails which are harder then those flaky dull ones.

Then I tried Reverse again and did one Dull 60d on the right, and one on the left side.

I finished out my time with three pieces of 6"x 1/4" from FBBC.  Not a bad nights work.  I did a few body weight rows in the middle of the bending, and I also opened three beers total (so far)...

820B6AF0-9427-4A2C-A40E-4C1241356D91.jpeg

74760344-FA6E-4514-A26C-BD7661751AA7.jpeg

It is small progress Anton, but thanks for help in motivation... before I stopped bending, I was bending those “I” drill rods actually, and even kinked a few “K”s.

Need to get going but my next update will have at lease one new use for old blended horseshoes...

Good work Rich! Keep building the strength slowly but surely and you will get to the red. Have a good one. 

• Like 1

What does one do with a bent horseshoe?

It was once an item with a purpose, but once that steel is bent; it can no longer fill it’s life purpose.

Yet, we bend them anyway, not to make those horseshoes into something with new utilitarian purpose — instead, we bend them to test our strength, or build our strength...

They also help us prove our muscles might!

But what to do with them once they are bent?

Well People,  i “discovered” one new use. 

A few years ago I started to replace the wood on my backyard deck.  It is low to the ground and about 1/4 into my project I realized I had a Groundhog problem.  I had a burrow right under the deck and their digging was making dirt come into contact with the bottom of the deck. (This is bad as the wood will and has rotted because of this extra animal dirt).

I bought some traps, and while I have caught a few, I apologize to you animal rights gripsters, as I caught them in spring loaded traps.   I have no heart it seams, yet they keep coming back!  

Problem became, we  now have a few neighborhood cats and I am afraid to kill a cat in my traps... so I stopped using them and the deck sits have finished.

This summer, the Groundhogs are back in my yard and one day I saw one right outside my back Door.   If I had a baseball, I knew I could hit him, but the only thing I could grab that might ruin his day was this bent horseshoe.

If you ever saw that movie in the 1980’s called Krull you can imagine the way I tried to throw that bent horseshoe at the groundhog.

I missed, yet the  horseshoe  was left stuck in the ground so who knows what might have happened if I hit the animal...

I have Re-tried the same horseshoe toss now on a few occasions, but each time I have missed the animal; yet each time the horseshoe stuck into then dirt.  maybe i should practice this new agility feat of throwing bent horseshoes...?

92454875-04E0-451E-B45B-B937124BB455.jpeg

8F7AE4EE-8F79-4395-BF88-3F6FEB8235D1.jpeg

But I do carry on...

The other night I tried to hit the steel again... I intended to bend more but this is the result   Some were DO some were Reverse, but the elbow pain became off the charts!

AD7F0696-76DD-4F5B-B406-E4CC4CE9AD4E.jpeg

Edit:
For some reason I find it easier to post pictures via my phone, yet I do not like to type on my phone... so you might notice many of my posts will have edits as i either add pictures later, or in this case finish typing  something so I can months later look back and remember some of this stuff.

Anyway, I said I got bad elbow pain after this bending session on Sunday night, but I should attribute some of that to driving for about 6 hours on Sat and 6 more hours on Sunday.  I think the elbows were already feeling sore from the "death grip" I used on my wife's van as I clocked speeds well over 80mph on my drive to visit my old friend Scott.  He lives in a small town outside of Pittsburgh.  As I drove past York, I was reminded of my last trips out to western Pennsylvania for The Cannon Blob Run's One and Two.

Anyway, if you look at the picture, the top three 60ds were done DO, then I did two Dull 60d Reverse;
 then I hit three more DO, then I am happy to day I took down a shinny 60D reverse using  my left arm as the anchor.  I tried to do another shinny 60D reverse on the right side but I just could not got it past a slight wobble... and the elbow pain was off the charts, so I wobbled it a little more on the left side and then finished it off DO.

I finished off with two 60d Double Overhand.  
I was supposed to do a little more, but I cut it short due to that elbow pain.  I had planned on trying some of the 1/4" FBBC reverse as well, but I just had to call it quits.
All bends were done in that art store leather.

On the Wednesday after this session I had to trip some trees.  I spent about two hours with the pole saw and a pull saw.  The elbow pain was back with a vengeance.  
I obviously need to start doing some prehab on those elbows.  I have that "Fixing Elbow Pain" ebook that Jedd sells.  I need to revisit that.

The cool thing about trimming those trees was my two younger boys were able to take the long branches to make what they call "The Prison"... I call it the fort.  

21FA980A-D436-4D16-ACBC-B3DCCA95A683.jpeg

DEBEAB20-4C83-4434-995F-42DD15CC5572.jpeg

Edited by richcottrell
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like the mystical grip grotto you created above - I bet you get an extra 5lbs when bending under those bent branches - hows the elbows feeling? What kinda extensor work you been hitting? You been bending anything or laying off?

I love the whirling horseshoe throw too - total Krull and Conan the Barbarian - get your dinner like a real man!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2018 at 5:12 PM, Anton.Torrella said:

I like the mystical grip grotto you created above - I bet you get an extra 5lbs when bending under those bent branches - hows the elbows feeling? What kinda extensor work you been hitting? You been bending anything or laying off?

Well two days after cutting those tree branches I got what I think was poison ivy... but the rash spread, yet was only in one place just under my left pec, and upper ribs.  The pain was awful, and my barber warned me it could be Shingles.
While I did see a dermatologist, I think she was more of a coasmotologist as she never even measured how large the rash was, yet she prescribed an expensive topical medication and wanted a follow up appointment the next week.  
The pain lasted about 6-7 days, but I did not bother to go to my follow up with the dermatologist... not because the rash was 100% gone, but at $80 per visit copay, I need to find a more qualified doctor if that ever happens again.

It probably was not poison ivy, but I am still afraid to get back to finishing up cutting those branches, So that "grotto" as Anton called it still is a play den for my kids.

Now back to seeing red:

That is on hold for now, i have put the steel on the back burner as I look at more important goal...
As the month of August ended, I truly realize now, it was time to shift my attention.  I was just over 182lbs at some points in July and Aug.  That was the heaviest I have ever been. We are not talking muscle boys, we are talking Beer Gut.
With that in mind i have made the next few months a simple goal:
Get my weight down ASAP!

I am going to use Gripmas as one deadline, as I am going to try to make that 74kg Class.  
At Gripmas 2015 I was ????  [lightest person in the 83k that year]
At Gripmas 2016 I was 169.9
At Gripmas 2017 I was 178 

My goal of the 74k is realistic.  My self proof is this:
Back in 2009-10, I was just barely still doing my BJJ - just a class or two each month.  I was not lifting weights nor was I running.  Some of my last recorded BJJ body weights are:
September  2009  163lbs.
May 2010 162lbs

After my second child came along the BJJ stopped completely but my last weight recording says:
Jan 2011 166.5

After that the BJJ and running stopped,  the real beer drinking started a few years ago as i went from a 32inch to a 33inch  to a 34inch  inch waist over the past 4 years

I know I can not Turn Back the Clock and get all these past unfit years back, but I can turn a page.
170 is an obligation!
163 would be ideal.
158-160 could happen... if i keep after it...

my next post will break down how I will make this happen, but for now I am happy to report I just got off the scale.
I am "down to" 177.5lbs.

off to mow the lawn.  Happy Labor Day Everyone.

Edited by richcottrell
  • Like 3

DIET:
I am trying to go the low carb route combined with intermittent fasting... 
Basically many of the Keto ideals, without ever buying a book on diet or keeping a food log.

Many days, I am the parent getting my kids their breakfasts and packing their lunches, so I never have time for breakfast in the morning anyway.  Now I am just pushing that first meal from 9:30am to something past 11am.  So far I can handle that.

Eggs are still my favorite go to for that first meal.  I have been doing well enough cutting the high carb stuff out of the diet.   I do love pasta, but I am just not eating it anymore.  No more english muffins or eagles either.

So far, I have gone from just shy of  183lbs to almost 176.5lbs by basically cutting the carbs out and not eating to early in to morning...
I still have had some late nights where I am killing a bag of potato chips, but once I learn to be stronger there too, I am sure I can see the 160's agin...

I did replace all the "heavy beer" with Miller Lite, as I already drank that cheap beer anyway.  I stopped drinking my college go to beer for other reasons... but low carb beer is my only choice now.
Then recently learned about Miller 64 which has only 2.4 carbs per can  as opposed  to the Miller Lite's 3.2. So I can have 4 cans of Miller 64 or 3 cans of Miller Lite and still have the same net carbs... 
(The Miller 64 has less ABV in it, so it is probably just watered down...)

And now I understand Corona makes another low carb beer called "Premier" which has 2.6 carbs, yet is still 4%ABV so maybe i need to AT LEAST shift my beer drinking to different cans.

Either way, I have gone from 182 to 176 in the past weeks with just some minor changes in how I eat and when i eat, as well as what I am drinking.

I look forward to throwing away these size 34 shorts and never needing them again.

• Like 2

You got this!  Also...I'm glad you stopped eating eagles finally.  They are endangered you know. :)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"Grip and Gut"

Raw realization last night... or at least something I should openly admit;
I am an overweight, middle aged drunk who has surrounded himself will all the resources for a rock sold grip except for most important one:
Motivation.

I really enjoy going to Gripmas and told myself I would make this last gripmas the first competition I would actually train for, the problem was -- in the great words of Sr. Seuss --
 "I said, and said, and said those words. 
I said them.  But I lied them."

So here we are, 6 weeks away from the trip to Ohio...
I spent plenty of time doing nothing so it is now time to Stop putting off for tomorrow what I can do today.
Time to get with the program, or in my case actually get a program.  At this point, I can only expect to make some beginner grip gains, but something is better then nothing.

also, I just got on the bathroom scale a little while ago.
178.5lbs

That beer is killing me and my waist line.  So with six weeks, if i actually want to get into that  74kg weight class I better  actually put pen to paper and get the rubber to the road.  Not sure if a 15lb to 16lb loss is truly realistic at this point, but what the hell... only one way to find out.

I read if you burn 500 extra calories per day via exercise, and keep your diet the same, you can expect to loose 1lb per week...
I am not really exercising at all right now so I CAN DO THAT...

Also, if I drop the beer AND burn those 500 extra calories per day maybe I can drop 12lbs for Gripmas... so that would put me around 166... still too heavy for the 74k weight class, but at least I would be closer to a reasonable weight for myself.

My 6 weeks training started this morning with a light jog of a whopping 15min at 9:30am.  That is well shy of the 500 calorie daily burn... but 200 is more then zero.
Got some errands to run, and then tonight I take the kids to gymnastics, so my plan is to spend some time during their class doing something to target my new mission: "Grip and Gut"

• Like 4

The second day pain. (and then some!)

I knew that even with such a small jog, I would be hurting the next few days.  The legs, groin, and feet have not had that treat in years, and already 24 hours later the muscles were feeling it.  
I worked both an NBA and an NHL game on Saturday and besides taking 15-20 min to do some fast walking  laps on the building's concourse and stairs, I did not really do much.

Today, Two full days after that jog the muscles are still a little sore but the worst part is my SI Joint in my left hip is hurting [hip pain is the reason why I stopped running over 5 years ago... been dealing with that for about 10 years.  The "si" joint is in the back part of the hip.  For years I thought this was back pain] 

Back on Friday, I got myself mentally worked up that I needed to get rid of this gut, and that when the SI joint pain returned I would just have to tough it up this time, but I forgot this pain -- and right now it is just a whisper from an old friend.  I need to re-evaliate my logic, but still need to get some cardio going in overdrive.

For Diet:
I have done well enough avoiding candy and most carbs.  On Sat. I went to work on an empty stomach and even skipped the morning coffee.  That day was 2 crappy lunches provided by Aramark, but i avoided any late night snack.

I had zero booze on Friday and Saturday, but this afternoon was a Fall Festival for my Union, so we took the kids for a fun day.  There was a mico-brewer with a beer cart so I was tempted and caved in... sampling three of their different beers. It was all free so I just could not refuse.  Lunch was brick oven pizza... so much for less carbs on Sunday.

Tonight was my first cobweb busting workout.  It was short and light, and it proves 15 min can at least be put to some use...
I basically did three mini "super sets" of these exercises:
Euro pinch for 10 sec holds
TRX style body rows with Mannas Grips
Overhead press with Olympic bar.

For the second trip I added 2" Trilobite lifts for sets of 5-6 alternating hands. [weights listed are just the plates I added]

Euro: Empty; Empty; 5lbs; 10lbs
Manas Rows: 10; 10; 10; 10 without mannas
OHP: 85lbs x10 x10 x10
Trilobite: 50lb; 60lb

Then I did some stretching before typing this.  I do not know how you guys who keep journals on here do it.  Took me too long just to type this...
But I did want to prove to myself, the the journey is beginning again...
Next time I will just start a paper workout log and maybe, just maybe I will keep at it.

For that weight loss plan of mine to work, either I stick with the running [which my hip makes doubtful] or I seek out joining the enemy - Planet Fitness -- just so I can get that cardio going.

Goal weight drop:
[weeks started on Friday as Gripmas is 6 weeks away]
Week 1 = 179    (drop 3 lbs this week)
Week 2 = 176   (drop 3 lbs this week)
Week 3 = 173  (drop 3 lbs this week)
Week 4 = 170  (drop 3 lbs this week)
Week 5 = 167   (drop 2 lbs this week)
Week 6 = 165  (drop 2 lbs this week)
GRIPMAS GOAL = 163

That is the more ambitious plan, but I think if it was not for all the years of neglect and enduagamce, my natural body weight would be around that number, so the question is can I really get there in just 6 weeks?

Even if i get fouled up on the weight loss, I better be at least in the 166 zone for Gripmas Day.
That said I am going to keep the image of 74kg in my head every time I get asked out to have a beer, and overtime I look at the dinner table.

Done typing for now... time to stretch and then spend some time re-reading David Horne's Beginner Grip program  as that is basically were my training is at.

• Like 2

Keep at it, Rich. You should post some photos or video to this log each workout. It will keep you accountable.

if you need any really horrendous advice on preparing for Gripmas let me know. I would be happy to help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/29/2018 at 7:46 AM, JHenze646 said:

Keep at it, Rich. You should post some photos or video to this log each workout. It will keep you accountable.

All summer I thought about having my wife take some photos of me shirtless and squeezed into  my old bathing suit (which got so tight I could no wear in) but I just could not do it.  At the time, I was in denial of the belly, but now I want to just get rid of it and let it be forgotten.
I know those before and after pictures are a big thing on face book, but I guess I was too much of a prude...  But i will say when I was 182lbs, I had to suck in my gut to see my equipment when I went to take a leak.
My pants size did go up to a 34 inch waist... so I had to get a few new pairs of pants.
I could use more of those larger pants, but instead of spending that easy money, and am going to really try to get back to my "SOP" weight of yesteryear.

Week One is in the books[1 of 6]
The diet:
I was successful in really watching my Beer and carb intake this week.  For lunch many days I just had two eggs and a bowl of spinach with olive oil on it. 

I have also done intermittent fasting on almost every morning.  I was not always able to exercise in that fasted state, but I would be awake and active at least from 7am to 11am without any food consumption except for some milk in my morning coffee.  One day do you errands, I did not get that first meal till around 1pm.

This fasting has been interesting, as years ago the first thing I would do in the morning is have a few bowls of cereal...
as the kids came along my breakfast time changed to an "on the fly" coffee and maybe a bagel or muffin as I wold get the kids ready for daycare and now actual school.  I am typical out of bed by 7am... More recently besides that coffee I would  only eat something after everyone was out the door around 9am.
I am surprised I do not feel hunger pangs as strong as I used to.  Maybe I have just learned to ignore them more?
I will say, this 6 Weeks to Gripmas has helped my focus.

I cut down an index card to be the size of a credit card, and it stays in my wallet.  I wrote 74kg on in in sharpie.  Then with a normal pen I wrote down my heaviest weight was, and the crossed it out in red pen... then I wrote 178.5.
 As I drop weight, I write down my new weight and cross out the old.

With the lower calorie and carb intake, I just this week added a daily vitamin to my day [One a Day Men's Pro Edge].
While I sometimes take Vitamin D by itself, I have not been on a multi vitamin for a long time.  I do not think this will help the belly or the Grip, I only want to cover myself that I am not depleting my body of the ability to heal itself.

While at the pharmacy to get that multi-vitamin I also seaked out some snake oil to help with my personal  inflammation problems.  
I have drank too many beers in my life to feel comfortable taking Tylenol for pain, and ibuprofen is bad for my digestive system as I have both Colitis and Ankylosing Spondylitis.

I picked up two thing that might help a little:
The first is  "Mega Red Advanced" Omega-3s with Fish oil. 

The second snake oil I picked up is called  "Zyflamend"
I never heard about i before -- nor can I say anything informative about it -- but I do know some research is out there and some  people with Spondylitis have had some success with Turmeric for help with their inflammation pain.  
For me, the straight Turmeric pills were sometimes hard on me, as the pills would break open in the stomach and I sometimes would practically burp them up. [Turmeric is a big ingredient in Indian Curry dishes... not that I do not like indian food, but straight Turmeric is nasty!]
I am trying the shotgun method for weight loss, so I figured I should try a little snake oil to see if that helps the hips.

Tale of the Tape:
Last Friday I was 178.5#
this morning i was 173.5#

I have been warned that while that might look like 5lbs, much of it could be water weight.  I was actually 173.5 yesterday morning as well, so I trust that number's accuracy and have crossed 177 off my index card.  I will try to drink more water from hear on to make sure I do not hit a wall with lowering that weight.

Cardio:
Besides that Jog i tried on last Friday Oct. 26th I have not ran again.
My SI joint in the  hip is still in pain, so my cardio is mostly walking a little extra and some short indian club work on a few days.  Yesterday I was able to get some extra walking in as I had a long lunch break and the weather was too beautiful to be out side.  Not sure hold long I walked, my my phone says yesterday I walked a total of 11.2 miles when typically it looks like I walk 3 to 4 miles in a typical day.
I know I can do better then walking, and something is better then nothing...

Next post will be GRIP training from week one and my plan for week 2.

CBCED655-7A35-42FF-A82D-42DE44353532.jpeg

Edited by richcottrell
  • Like 3

Good stuff Rich! Glad to hear the plan and progress! I did the same thing over this year with my weight loss, writing down what I woke up at each day and keeping track and loving my "Prs" - once you get the behavior down and the ball rolling keep that momentum - week 1 done and down 5lbs - water weight or not, f**k yea! I'm excited to follow your progress and looking forward to gripmas!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not happy to say, I think I just today pulled a calf muscle.

last weekend I went to the HS track and ran for 20 min, -- mostly jogging but some 60% sprints— and the old hip paid did not truly return, so today a full week later I tried to do another 20 min on the track.  About 6 min in, right when I started  my first leg of 60% speed, I felt a distinct pull in the right calf... I could not tell if it was a super cramp so I jogged about 300 meters then I tried to stretch it.  It did not seem to be a hard muscle of a cramp, but the pain was on that scale so I stubbornly finished the workout but only did 50% for the sprints.

walking home I knew I was in trouble.   I only had time to shower and ice it for 15 min before I had to get in my car to work and Eagles Pregame show so I am currrently sitting in my car with and ice pack and the leg elevated.

i am getting old.   In all my track days, I never pulled a muscle.

the weight is only down to 172.5 as I was a bad boy last weekend 

got a single Gripper workout in last week an one combined thick and thin Pinch day.

friday I did Euro holds againwith Climber Curls

yesterday was an off day

today was supposed to be running in the morning and Grippers at night... we will see how I mentally feel as I limp through the day.

needless to say, today I get to take Advil...

and here I thought I got “screwed” last week on that run, because it was only durring my cool down did I realize I had a inch long wood screw in my shoe.  (Lesson learned: I no longer keep shoes in the office Gym)

41046077-A117-473D-B505-A65BA5912789.jpeg

Edited by richcottrell
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am no longer sure if I pulled that muscle or not...   a few days after the injury it was strangely feeling OK... granted I iced it religiously for a few days...

so yesterday I tried another run (this time no sprinting at all). I made sure to warm up with a few laps and then stretch this time before the real jogging while I was warm, and then I even stopped 1/2 way through the actual run to Re-stretch.  Did 25min in all at about 10mph pace.

today the calf hurts again so it is back to the ACE wrap... but the intermittent fasting is paying off:

down to 169.5lbs

not enough grip sessions done over Week Two and Week Three, although I did a modified workout at work the other day with my Ivanko Supergripper and 1/4” Thin Key Pinch and Power ball.  That was actually a simple way to get some work done, and it did not take up much room in my gear bag.  Actually, I even used the gear bag as the “loading pin” as I attached the Key Pinch to it.   I did many sets on the Gripper holding it with the fulcrum away from the pinkey so the handles would be closer to the spread of a TSG — although I like holding it the opposite way better.  In betweeen ever other Gripper set I used the Key Pinch tool.  Basically I would hold the Key Pinch for 30 seconds as I bounced the bag in the air.  No idea how much it weighed... I did some 1/4” Key Pinch Curls as well ... I also tried holding the 1/4” Key Pinch as a “palm hold” and did Shoulder Presses holding it like that.   It was cool for the grip but Unfortunately the next my shoulder hurt in a bad way so maybe the overhead work was a mistake... that was on Thursday.  I still feel that tweak today.

Speaking of today, this afternoon  i tried to hit the park to work out some before work, but time was running late so I only had time for 2 sets of Pull-ups and Pushups.

once again, something is still better then nothing.

goal is still 74k for gripmas

• Like 3

So let me get this straight... every time you run, sprint, or jog something gets hurt or aches?

why are you still running?!? Seriously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, richcottrell said:

goal is still 74k for gripmas

You got this.

11 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

why are you still running?!? Seriously.

Cereal!

• Like 1