How do you store your steel (please provide pics)

acromegaman

I have recently bought some materials to make a rack for my steel and I started wondering How others stored theirs. So how about it? I will provide pics of mine when done.

I keep mine separated by diameter in empty folgers coffee cans (the red plastic ones).

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, GrassMaine89 said:

I keep mine separated by diameter in empty folgers coffee cans (the red plastic ones).

I have a Keurig so those cans aren't as plentiful as they used to be for me. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, acromegaman said:

Neat and tidy! 

And it's at least strong enough to pack around that stock. Loaded up I'm thinking there's 40# or more there. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GrassMaine89 said:

This.. ^^^

Except my stock is in a metal paint can.  

Too messy at the present to provide a picture... will do when I clean up a bit!  

Chalk everywhere!  😎

I've got a lot myself and I'm thinking of a stationary pvc holder for mine. I need to buy a couple more caps and maybe add on something to hold my wraps and bands.

20160918_124517.jpg

• Like 9

Thats awesome Delmar... love it sir!!  

Just an idea, get a 2x6, some sort of plastic pipe, and a hole saw that you can partially drill the board with. Pipe should fit in the round cuts, glue it in. Maybe water bottles for the pipe if you find some the right shape.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm in the process of creating a new Gym in the Basement.  (Bigger and weatherproof)

Decided I wanted to include steel storage in the design. :)

Super heavy duty.  Should be able to hold a piece or two. 

storage.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, anwnate said:

I'm in the process of creating a new Gym in the Basement.  (Bigger and weatherproof)

storage.jpg

Too organized buddy. Sorry. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, anwnate said:

storage.jpg

That is ideal! Awesome design Nate!

• Like 1

Nothing fancy, but it's efficient. This box lives in a file cabinet drawer with other boxes, wraps, sharpies, tape measure, printed out protractor, and a bunch of rubber bands.

Cut, grind, wipe down with denatured alcohol, band together with the line from the packing slip.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

No frills... still a little messy- but it gets it done! Plus 60-hr work weeks aren't exactly conducive to having a neat bending area!  Always busy around the holidays.  

Great pics by all... salute gentleman!  

20161124_142230.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I descided it was time to get more organized and bought these storage containers today.

IMG_0008.JPG

• Like 2

I’ve found plastic storage containers to be pretty good for storing my cut up steel over the years.

Cont1.jpg

Cont3.jpg

Cont2.jpg

Cont4.jpg

Fair warning, if you drop or incorrectly pick these up it all ends in tears – but the air tight ones work a treat (I hadn’t opened the red screw top in 10 years and the bars have NO surface rust).

Of course the more types of bars meant the headache of where/how to store all the containers.  This lead to:

Shelving.jpg

Yes, it’s a little over-engineered – 50mm treated wood is perhaps a little overkill, but I was concerned about the timber warping with the weight. The pigeon hole setup works a treat – if you label the containers.

For the lengths yet to be cut up, there was really only 1 viable solution:

Box1.jpg

Box2.jpg

And yes, it took me ages to clear the junk off the top to get those 2 last shots.

Dave

• Like 7