This is what I trained for....

Adam Juncker

18 minutes ago, climber511 said:

If "not training grippers" was true - I would be closing #4s by now LOL

:laugh

12 minutes ago, Chez said:

Ya. Somehow I doubt this applies to most 

Ha!  Obviously the moral here is you get stronger during recovery...and its very hard to recover your crush constantly broken down.  

8 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Ha!  Obviously the moral here is you get stronger during recovery...and its very hard to recover your crush constantly broken down.  

better articulated there. The longer I have trained, the more intense my gripper sessions have become and I required more recovery time. I now train each hand once every 2 weeks. 

55 minutes ago, anwnate said:

I've always called this the John Eaton method.  John would train hard then take long stretches of time off.  Then show up and be crazy strong.  I know personally I always take 7 to 10 days completely off after Gripmas - then usually manage a PR or two upon my return.  I think you have to tear yourself down fairly deep for this to work.  Personally this was the one lesson I learned from HIT many years ago when I did it for a period of time.  Dig very deep (but not over a long time period) - rest completely - get stronger.  Most people don't rest hard enough LOL.

I think this is the way steroids work.  They let you rest in "fast forward".

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, anwnate said:

Regarding Grippers...I have found my biggest gains have been after layoffs...from everything, but particularly grippers.  Matt Hunt and I have a half joking expression that the best way to train grippers is to not train grippers. lol

Basically with constant training...we don't allow the deeper healing to take place.  With most gripper programs, the gains come AFTER the breakdown, not during.  Just my opinion of course.

Moral...don't beat yourself up over the day to day gripper performance.  You gotta trust in the process.

I really appreciate the reply, I have seriously thought that I have been overtraining the grippers. I have no injuries or any major soreness, but I've definitely been thinking that trying to go heavy 2 times per week it's just not going to work, not right now anyway. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

I really appreciate the reply, I have seriously thought that I have been overtraining the grippers. I have no injuries or any major soreness, but I've definitely been thinking that trying to go heavy 2 times per week it's just not going to work, not right now anyway. 

You are an experiment of one as are we all - try different things - keep good notes - then mine your training log for those things that lead up to PR performances

• Like 2

Monday 2/5
Missed training for last Friday. Too much going on. Added in the anvil reps.

Grippers
Right
111 tetting  5 X 3 X 4 sec holds
Last rep of last set held for 5 seconds

Left
104 hg250  5 X 3 X 4 secs holds
Last rep of last set held for 11 seconds

Neutral grip chins BW 5 X 5

2" crusher
104 X 3 X 8

Anvil 2 X 5

I've got something up my sleeves for The Jersey contest in the way of prizes. I won't reveal any details but this: Mjölnir

Edited by Adam Juncker
  • Like 2

Thursday 2/8
3" pinch block

(57.7 - 3 X 5 secs) X 3
Last rep of last set held for 15secs right, 7 seconds left

3" crusher

92 - 3 X 7
Last rep of last set held for 5 seconds right, 8 seconds left.

Attempted some blobs.  Not feeling it. I will try on Saturday with my other stuff that is planned.

Jersey contest prizes:  A little bit of walking the cup, and some silicon bronze (not at the same time).  It's all coming together nicely muahahahah.

• Like 2

Sunday 2/11

Grippers TNS
Hg150 68#  2 X 25
These were pretty hard actually

Anvil + 5
3 X 10
Right hand only

Dub Hub deep
Max single of 59.9 (meh, no real hub training for 6+ months).

50.2 (3 X 5secs) X 3

Blobs - right hand only
32.3 - 3 X 5secs
37.7 - 3 X 3 secs
51.1 X 6 drags  (15')

Tuesday 2/13

Grippers.
Right
118 - (3 X 5 secs) X 3
117 filed - (3 X 5 secs) X 2
Last rep last set held for 7 seconds

Last heavy session until Jersey.  I'll see how my result is, hoping for something north of 150 on grippers. If I don't get it on going to take about a month off from grippers.  I need to focus on pinch anyway, pinch strength has backslidden. 

Left
111 - (3 X 5 secs) X 3
104 filed - (3 X 5 secs) X 2
Last rep last set held for 9 seconds

2" crusher
105 - 3 X 8
Last rep last set held for 12 seconds R, 8 seconds left.

Wide grip pullups - BW 5 X 5
Left bicep feels great. No issues. Time to start adding weight again and overdoing it like crazy  😧 

• Like 1

Thursday 2/15

3" pinch (right hand only)
57.7 - (3 X 7 secs) X 3

These were too easy. Last rep of last set held for 20 seconds. I only set it down because I had to yawn. 🤓
After the last set I went for a max just to see and I hit 74.6, not locked out but well above 12" and definetly a PR. 
Here's why I think it happened tonight.... it all started a few weeks ago when I tested my max  to establish a working weight. I hit 69 for 5 singles at 10". During the time of testing my skin was crazy dry from the weather. Today was a very strange day, humidity outside is like 75% and over the last 2 weeks I've been using O'Keefes working hands. Skin feels great and I'm focusing on the lift instead of focusing on not tearing my thumb.

3" crusher
97.5 - 3 X 7
Went for max holds after the last set
Right 3 seconds, then 2 seconds
Left 5 seconds, 6 seconds

Something happened with my right hand during the 2nd set and i thought i was going to have to drop down.  I finished the third set with no issue though.

Sledge work
Hammer curls
Right & Left -  16" - 3 X 7
Pro/Sup - 12" - 3 X 10

Saturday 2/17
Grippers: TNS/CCS
R&L - 71#  2 X 30
1st set was TNS, 2nd set CCS

Dub-hub deep
49.5 - (3 X 7 secs) X 3

Anvil.
30 total lifts, 12 with 10lbs added.

Neutral grip chinups: thumbless on fat grips
BW - 2 X 5
BW + 45 - 2 X 5

• 2 weeks later...

I tried braced bending at Nate's comp. It was a piece of 3/4" X 48. I couldn't budge it.  Today I tried some 5/8" X 36. Actual bending starts at around 2:00

• Like 5

Short work man.  Next time, ditch the sweatpants...they be slippery!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Good job Adam!

Thank you Don, I have watched your videos, you are a beast. 

• Like 1

Good bend! Very exciting bending music too!

• Thanks 1

Nice job Adam! Looks like you just need to get your hands more inside your thighs on the final crush down. They should almost feel "trapped" by your hamstring tendons then walk your feet as close to each other as possible before starting the squeeze. 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

Nice job Adam! Looks like you just need to get your hands more inside your thighs on the final crush down. They should almost feel "trapped" by your hamstring tendons then walk your feet as close to each other as possible before starting the squeeze. 

Thank you, just like with Don, I watch your videos in amazement and I'm taking notes now too.  Since that was really only my second attempt at a long bar, and the first one I've actually bent, I learned a lot.  It's going to be a long road though, but this will be a fun (and expensive) replacement for grippers for a while.  

2 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

Thank you, just like with Don, I watch your videos in amazement and I'm taking notes now too.  Since that was really only my second attempt at a long bar, and the first one I've actually bent, I learned a lot.  It's going to be a long road though, but this will be a fun (and expensive) replacement for grippers for a while.  

Well you're off to a great start!

• Thanks 1

Thursday 3/1
Recovery work including sledge movements, some wrist wrench reverse curls, biceps curls, and lots of stretching.  I'm feeling pretty good.  

I haven't logged it, but for the past few months (since my shoulder has healed) I've been working on a progression of dumbell bench presses.  I don't have a spotter, and I've always liked these better.  I've been doing them 2xs per week for 3 weeks, then a week off. Very simple: 3 X 10. I start flat, then by the 3rd set I'm inclined at like 45 degrees. Last set is killer but yesterday I hit 80# at 3 X 10. It's not grip so I don't log it but I thought I would mention.

Friday 3/2
Attempted another bar today. 5/8 X 34". Bar left view of the camera because I was using a tripod instead of my wife. O well. It took 4.5 mins so I think that is my max for now. 
A few things I noticed:
1. My back is weak, this is crucial for the kink.
2. My core seems strong enough for now, but         something to work on.
3. I'm going to need to get serious about shoulder work.

This has been said before: bending is the "crack cocaine" of grip.  I need a plan before I waste a bunch of material and then get hurt.

• Like 3

Monday 3/5
Tested 2 hand pinch:
Tried a few widths starting at 2.625"  tried 2.5"  and settled in on 2.375" (60 mm).  I pulled 176.5 which I believe is a PR anyway.  Going to follow the stuff in John McCarter' s book and see how i can do.

I planned to test wrist wrench and rolling thunder but I ran out of time.  Hopefully tomorrow. 

Still don't have anything programmed with thickbar and bending but I'll post as I develop it.  

Edited by Adam Juncker
Misspellled
  • Like 2

3/7
W1D1 Pinch: John McCarter's program

Adjustable Pinch Apparatus (APA) @ 2.375"
123.5 - 4 X 3
Last Rep of Last Set held for 9 seconds

Cinne-pinch:
12.5 - 4 X 20
This was right after each set of pinch

Flask
106.7 - 3 X 10 second holds

I arrived at the flask weight by removing the APA from the loading pin and putting the flask on. The APA weighs like 19#.

Tested 2.5 crusher: 126.2
Not a PR but it's where I need to base everything off of right now. All the gripper focus over the past 6 months has yielded very little thickbar gains. RT at this weight went up easy 

Tested wrist wrench: 82.5 PR for both hands.

Wrist wrench wrist curls:
52 - 3 X 10

Pullups: BW 3 X 7

• Like 2

3/9
W1D1 Thickbar
2.5 crusher: 88.3 - 4 X 3
LRLS 14 seconds each hand.

Stiff leg dead lift
205 - 3 X 10
Getting in some volume but I would like to program these and other DL movements to help with my braced bending.

Also did some: Seal rows, dumbell rows, 2" crusher rows, and dumbell presses. 
Probably too much pulling for one day but I was feeling good. 

• Like 1

Pinch W1D2
APA @ 2.375"
141.2 + light band - 6 X 1 

2" climbers pinch
147.5 - 4 X 7 seconds

CP - 12.5 - 4 X 20

Blobs:
15 minutes of blobbing a 32.3, 37.7, and 41.1.
Left hand actually got the 41.1 to my knee which is the best I can remember.  I also did a few transfers of the 32.3 left to right. Some clean attempts with the 37.7. 

• Like 2

Monday 3/13
Thickbar W1D2
2.5 crusher:
101+band X 6  (16" deficit)

Wrist wrench:
66 X 6 sets of doubles

Pullups: wide grip on FG Extremes
6 X 3

Tuesday 3/14
Pinch W2D1
APA @ 2.375":
133.7 X 4 X 3

2" climbers pinch:
70 X 2 doubles
62.5 X 4 doubles

Blob trainer:
35-44 lbs for singles.  Playing around with it. I made it yesterday kind of on a whim.  It seems I can pull a little more on this than I can a real blob.

Bent a bar after pinch 5/8" X 33" - about 3.5 mins. 

Bend starts at 1:28

• Like 2