This is what I trained for....

Adam Juncker

Thursday 12/7/17

2 hand Flask
(140 X 3 X 6 secs) X 2

Blobs loaded to AW table
32.3 X 5 R & L

37.7 X 2 R, 0 L

Also tried a 2.5" non-revolving handle, pulled 215.5 X 3 both hands. 

Friday 12/8/17

CBT Week 2 Day 2

Vulcan V2 Set Practice:

Chrom Spring 1-1, 2-2, 3,3  X 5

Saturday 12/9/17

Wrist Wrench: Reverse Wrist Curls

70 X 3 X 20

Wrist Wrench: Wrist Curls

64.5 X 7

57 X 2 X 7

Neutral Grip Chin-ups w/ 2.5 Crusher and RT

6 X 5 (Alternating hands each set)

2.5 non-revolving handle

182 X 3, 5, 7

Monday 12/11/17
CBT Week 3 day 1
All good. Using the 1.5" block and getting some very satisfying closes.

Wrist levering: trusty ol' 16" lever bar with 6lbs on the end

Front raises, pronation, supponation
4 X 20

I was able to supponate with my left hand (full range) after the first 2 sets.   The first 2 was about half the ROM.  Once everything got warmed up the bicep inflammation was not noticeable. 

I also just realized that the southern squeeze will be contesting one-handed flask so I will re-evaluate my preparations for that competition.

12/12/17

2.5 crusher
(107.5 X 3 X 5 secs ) X 3

Pullups 3 X 7

Followed by bicep and hammer curls.

12/14/14

1 hand Flask pinch
65.5 X 3
68.5 X 3
71.5 X 3

2" climbers pinch
68 X 3 X 3

Loaded 32.3 blob to AW table until failure.  Took a respite and loaded my 37.7  3 times consecutively right handed.  Left was getting it off the ground but not able to load it.

Sunday 12 /17
CBT Week 3 day 2
Ganglion cyst on my left wrist really flared on Friday 12/15 so I delayed CBT by day.  I couldn't set grippers for the right hand.  Had to use my leg. Did my best but it was a pretty crappy session.

Monday 12/18

Wrist wrench wrist curls
60 X 2 X 10
Only got 1 set left handed.  Was supposed to do 4 sets total but I am just too wore out.

Neutral grip chinups on RT and 2.5 crusher:

4 X 6

2.5" non-revolving handle
170 X 2 X 5 secs

Once again, left hand was just failing miserably. Supposed to do 4 sets total and the left hand couldn't hold on for more than a second. 

Pretty much I need some rest.  And I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. 

• 2 weeks later...

Deload week for CBT was last week.  I didn't do much other than eat Christmas cookies and build legos with my kids. And i had vacation time to burn up before the end of the year and so it was nice to relax. 

Monday 12/25/17

CBT Week 5 day 1
This was indicative of a week off from gripping. Very satisfying closes.  And i hit a 148 from parallel before the working sets.

Sledge work 

Hammer curls:

Right 15" X 4 X 5

Left. 16" X 4 X 5

Pro/sup/front raises 

12" X 4 X 10

Wednesday 12/27

1 hand Flask
66.5, 68.5, 70.3, X 5 reps.
Had to reset the grip on each rep of last set.

Adjustable Pinch Apparatus (APA) set to 1.75"
(65.3 X 5 secs) X 2
67.5 X 5 secs.

BW neutral grip pullups X 5. (203.7 bw (yuck))

BW + (230.0) X 3 X 5
Bicep and elbow are feeling great. I think I can get back into the weighted pulling I just need to gradually ramp up instead of jumping in head first with both feet and getting hurt. 

Also picked up a pair of York 35's and 25's today for .55/lb.

• Like 1

Thursday 12/28
CBT Week 5 day 2
Added in heavy set practice with Vulcan.

Friday 12/29
Wrist wrench: wrist curls
58 X 3 X 12

Neutral grip chins: 2.5 crusher and 3" rolling handle.
6 X 5. Alternating hands each set.

2.5" non revolving handle

170 X 3 X 3.
Tried to hold these at LO for as long as possible. Longest hold was 7 seconds. Last set I was just getting to LO and back down.

Next week will be the last working week before southern squeeze. I'll do a deload for grippers and thickbar.  I think I will still pinch heavy as long as I can keep my skin in good shape.

• Like 1

Monday 1/1/18
CBT Week 6 day 1
1st set was pretty brutal.  Was not sure if I was going to finish.  But then I did.  Still using the 1.5" block. I reckon since I am closing the gripper with both hands during the set I'm not going to need much time to get acquainted with the 20mm for Southern Squeeze.

Sledge work

Hammer curls
Right: 15" 4 X 7
Left:   16" 4 X 7

Tricep kickback
R & L: 20" 4 X 7

Pronation & Supponation
12" 4 X 10
Left Bicep is handling a full ROM supponation now.  So I've got that going for me which is nice.

Pushups 5 X 20

Tuesday 1/2/18

2.5" crusher
103   3 sets of 5 second holds
113   6 sets of 5 second holds.

Neutral grip chins on FG Extremes (thumbless)

3 X 5

Ok so Southern Squeeze is coming up.  Here are my goals:

Grippers:  >=150
2.5 trilobite: >=125
Flask: >=85
Medley: >=75%

I think if I can accomplish these items I could get an honorable mention. 

Thursday 1/4/18

1 hand Flask
68.2 - 3 doubles
70.7 - 3 doubles

APA @ 1.75"
65 X 3 X 5 secs
68.7 X 3 X 5 secs

Would have done more but my right thumb started to tear. 

Sat 1/6

CBT Week 6 day 2
Session was pretty mediocre.  I used a 20mm setblock and everything closed easily but I felt weak

Sunday 1/7
2.5 crusher
(106.5 X 3 X 5 secs) X 2
112 X 3 X 5 secs

Neutral chinups
BW + (235) 3 X 5

Bicep is feeling great.  No issues.  I would love to start DO bending every week and a half but every time I try I get a flair up in the bicep.  Last week 1 did 3 60d nails in IMPs. Bends were easy but I really can't activate a solid sweep  because I know the bicep will hurt.  Oh well. I've got too much other stuff I'm chasing right now to worry about another side project. 

I took a week off to rest for southern squeeze then I got snowed in.  Pretty bummed about that. I was really pumped about it, but global warming strikes again.

Today I did some sledge work.
Hammer curls
Right 16" 3 X 7
Left.  17" 3 X 7

Tricep kickback.
R&L 22"  3 X 7

Pro/Sup
12"  3 X 10

Worked with blobs.
My half 85 is pretty inconsistent right handed and rarely lifted left.  I need to work on this.  Too much other stuff I wanna do.  I'm thinking about going to the SJ 4s for February.  I really want to go, it's just a matter of the money.  I heard Delmar is going so i probably should too - repruzentin' tha mid-west.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Adam Juncker said:

I took a week off to rest for southern squeeze then I got snowed in.  Pretty bummed about that. I was really pumped about it, but global warming strikes again.

Today I did some sledge work.
Hammer curls
Right 16" 3 X 7
Left.  17" 3 X 7

Tricep kickback.
R&L 22"  3 X 7

Pro/Sup
12"  3 X 10

Worked with blobs.
My half 85 is pretty inconsistent right handed and rarely lifted left.  I need to work on this.  Too much other stuff I wanna do.  I'm thinking about going to the SJ 4s for February.  I really want to go, it's just a matter of the money.  I heard Delmar is going so i probably should too - repruzentin' tha mid-west.

Be nice to see you again, get to talk without being tired for once.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

I'm thinking about going to the SJ 4s for February.  I really want to go, it's just a matter of the money.  I heard Delmar is going so i probably should too - repruzentin' tha mid-west.

Would be cool to see you there. The last SJ was dam crowded that I really didn't get time to talk to you and many others. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John McCarter said:

Be nice to see you again, get to talk without being tired for once.

Lol we both had 15+ hour drives the day before. I was running on red bull and protein bars. 

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Would be cool to see you there. The last SJ was dam crowded that I really didn't get time to talk to you and many others. 

Same here. Nates place is awesome. And there were so many people (most of which I didn't know) it was hard to talk to anyone. Look forward to seeing everyone. 

• Like 1

Tuesday 1-16-18

CBT Week 7 day 2

Well.... This was a terrible session. It makes me hate grippers.  I want to rain down hell-fire on all my grippers.  Not really.  Im going to finish CBT and then do something else. @John McCarter has some cool ideas in his book. I need to get out of this rut I'm in.  I closed a GHP7  (148) but it was not confident.

On a brighter note I've been playing around with some of the sledge stuff other guys have been doing....

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Adam Juncker said:

Tuesday 1-16-18

CBT Week 7 day 2

Well.... This was a terrible session. It makes me hate grippers.  I want to rain down hell-fire on all my grippers.  Not really.  Im going to finish CBT and then do something else. @John McCarter has some cool ideas in his book. I need to get out of this rut I'm in.  I closed a GHP7  (148) but it was not confident.

On a brighter note I've been playing around with some of the sledge stuff other guys have been doing....

If you make it to Nate's next month, I'll share more with you

Friday 1-19

Had to take an extra day or 2 off because of work schedule. 

2.5 crusher.
(111.5 X 5 X 5 secs) X 2

Left hand started failing at about the 3 second mark on last set. 
Right hand was like "bring it on", left hand was like "can we please just stop"

Super setted this with wrist wrench
3 singles at 77.5 for 1st crusher set, and 72.3 for second set.  Once again the left hand was really struggling.

Neutral grip chinups
BW X 5, 7, 9

Sunday 1/21

CBT Week 7 day 2 

Well this session was tough.  I ended up just doing timed holds with my working set grippers and a ghp 7. 

Wednesday 

Supposed to be deloading.....

Messed around with a 3" solid aluminum rolling handle.  I managed 117 on it which is not much less than my 2.5" pull. 

Also worked with a 3" pinch block  (IM blockbuster replica) and got 69# for about 5 singles right handed.  

Need to put some programming together.  I'm just kind of drifting right now. 

Saturday 1/27/18
APA @ 3"

53 X 5, 7, 9

My left hand has always turned (supponated) when pinching.  I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why this happens, but I'm still unsure .  It often causes me to fail a lift because the implement basically spins out of my hand.

Sledge hammer

Hammer curls
Right 16" 3 X 5
Left.  17" 3 X 5

Tricep extensions
R&L 22"  3 X 5

Pro/Sup

12" 3 X 10

I'm going to put together some programming.  Going to retest grippers either Monday or Tuesday.  Going to test 20mm and 1.5" blocks.  Hopefully get some video.
Also need to see where I am at on the hub.  Still a solid maybe for the Jersey contest, and my wife is semi-pumped about it too. 

• Like 1

Ok so I'm writing this with SJ's 4 for February in mind....   If you program your training for the competition, it increases your efforts of making sure you get to the competition. 

I've Been wanting to add in TNS Grippers for a while.  The 20mm grippers are going to be a timed hold on each rep, and each rep will be checked with the block.  All of the pinch work is contingent upon skin conditions.  Try as I might, my skin is terribly dry in the winter and I can't keep it healthy. 

Week 1 Day 1
Grippers (20mm) 5 X 3 (3 sec reps) 70%
2" Crusher (After Grippers) 3 X 8 65%

Week 1 Day 2
3" Pinch (3 X 3 secs) X 3 85%
3" Crusher  3 X 7 70%

Week 1 Day 3
Dub-Hub (Deep) (3 X 3 secs) X 3 85%
Anvil  96.8 3 X 10 singles  
Grippers (TNS) 2 X 20 50%

Week 2 Day 1
Grippers (20mm) 5 X 3 (4 sec reps) 75%
2" Crusher (After Grippers) 3 X 8 70%

Week 2 Day 2
3" Pinch (3 X 5 secs) X 3 85%
3" Crusher  3 X 7 75%

Week 2 Day 3
Dub-Hub (Deep) (3 X 5 secs) X 3 85%
Anvil  96.8 3 X 10 singles +5lbs
Grippers (TNS) 2 X 25 50%

Week 3 Day 1
Grippers (20mm) 5 X 3 (5 sec reps) 80%
2" Crusher (After Grippers) 3 X 8 75%

Week 3 Day 2
3" Pinch (3 X 7 secs) X 3 85%
3" Crusher  3 X 7 75%

Week 3 Day 3
Dub-Hub (Deep) (3 X 7 secs) X 3 85%
Anvil  96.8 3 X 10 singles +10lbs
Grippers (TNS) 2 X 30

50%

• Like 1

Monday 1/29/18
Grippers retest.
Pretty much a serious let-down. I have felt really weak on grippers and tonight was no different.  Despite making gains on other stuff grippers are pretty much stuck.  I got some good closes but not what I was wanting.
 I've really got to rethink things and I think I'm going in the right direction for what I learned from CBT.

There is a correlation between 2" crusher and grippers, for me anyway. While 2.5 and 3" tax my wrists more than anything (likely a technique thing) the 2" is felt most in my fingers.  I managed 155 tonight, really wanted an even 160 but it was not to be.

Here is a compilation of some gripper closes and the crusher test. Note, this implement is neither a crusher nor a trilobite but is a 2" solid aluminum rolling handle.  I just call it a crusher to save from explaining what it is every time.

I'm looking for some recommendations from some experienced guys.

• Like 1

Monday 1/29
Grippers.
20mm block

Right (104 X 3secs) X 3
Left   (97 X 3 secs) X 3

Each rep checked with the block and held for 3 seconds. Last rep of last set was a max hold. 12 seconds right, 14 Left

2" crusher
104 - 3 X 8
Held last Rep of last set for a max hold, 7 seconds both hands.

Wednesday 1/31
APA @ 3"
Right hand only  (left hand has some skin that needs to heal).

57.7 - (3 X 3secs) X 3

3" crusher
84.4 - 3 X 7
Last rep of last set held for 5 secs right, 7 secs left

Wrist wrench: reverse wrist curls
83.5 -  3 X 20

• Like 1

Regarding Grippers...I have found my biggest gains have been after layoffs...from everything, but particularly grippers.  Matt Hunt and I have a half joking expression that the best way to train grippers is to not train grippers. lol

Basically with constant training...we don't allow the deeper healing to take place.  With most gripper programs, the gains come AFTER the breakdown, not during.  Just my opinion of course.

Moral...don't beat yourself up over the day to day gripper performance.  You gotta trust in the process.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, anwnate said:

Regarding Grippers...I have found my biggest gains have been after layoffs...from everything, but particularly grippers.  Matt Hunt and I have a half joking expression that the best way to train grippers is to not train grippers. lol

Basically with constant training...we don't allow the deeper healing to take place.  With most gripper programs, the gains come AFTER the breakdown, not during.  Just my opinion of course.

Moral...don't beat yourself up over the day to day gripper performance.  You gotta trust in the process.

If "not training grippers" was true - I would be closing #4s by now LOL

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, climber511 said:

If "not training grippers" was true - I would be closing #4s by now LOL

Ya. Somehow I doubt this applies to most 

• Like 1