Eating Healthy to Get Shredded | How to Transform Your Physique #269

Bill Piche

Eating more healthy will also help enable you to maximize your muscle mass (and keep useless bodyfat at bay) when training for strength and power as well.  

I like the idea of preparing your own nutrient dense meals from raw ingredients. I find it practically impossible to eat well eating out. Everything processed seems to be packed with sodium and additives for shelf- life. Restaurants only seem to offer white breads, and much of the food is fried in GMO soy "vegetable" oil. 

However, I personally need more whole grain carbs (sugars) in my diet that are not in the form of indigestible fiber. Therefore, I would probably add some brown rice, or wholegrain bread, or wholegrain pasta to the dish to make it more complete. Otherwise, I'd be starving.

Whole grains as opposed to non- wholegrain (enriched wheat flour), because non- wholegrain breads and pastas, and even white rice, have a considerably high glycemic index, which throws my body out of wack. I find non- wholegrain sugars raise my blood sugar too high, and they burn so fast that much of it is converted to, and stored as fat before I can use it up as energy. Then, my blood sugar dips and I get really hungry again sooner. All those ups and downs aren't good for you. Whole grains are more slow release. I found a 12 grain bread sold by Aldi that has whole grain wheat as the first ingredient, and enriched wheat flower as the second. That's a good balance for me. Also, I try not to ingest much sweets.

Plain oatmeal is another good choice. I used to flavor mine with stevia, a little honey or maple syrup, and fruits and berries. Much better than the pre- flavored ones. Only thing was I'd get acid reflux from it, so I switched to corn flakes with almond milk for breakfast.