Did a parallel "set" with the COC #3

Paul Markowski

During my grip training today, I decided to do a parallel "set" with the COC #3 with my dominant hand.  Went very well.  Was indeed able to "set" the gripper and hold it in place for the time I wanted to hold it (2 seconds)....now, I realize that for many of you, this may seem unimpressive but in my mind, if you "can't set it, you will not be able to close it".  It is that simple!!  I know for a fact that about 2 months ago, I was NOT able to even "set" the #3 so this is a strength gain.  Also today, I was within a sheet of paper width away from closing the COC #2.5 using a Mash Monster set.  Looking forward to my next grip workout!

• Like 3

Good work. I'm a big believer in small goals adding up to massive gains

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Chez said:

Good work. I'm a big believer in small goals adding up to massive gains

Very true Chez.  I am a huge believer (like you) in keeping things positive...I do not attempt any gripper unless I feel I have earned that right and have the confidence to accomplish my goal with it....too much negativity (ie: failures) can truly weigh on you to the extent of one questioning why they are even doing grippers!

• Like 2

On 9/9/2016 at 11:47 PM, Paul Markowski said:

Very true Chez.  I am a huge believer (like you) in keeping things positive...I do not attempt any gripper unless I feel I have earned that right and have the confidence to accomplish my goal with it....too much negativity (ie: failures) can truly weigh on you to the extent of one questioning why they are even doing grippers!

On the contrary, I have one gripper. An HG250. Nowhere near closing it, but I'll keep training with it until I do. Every little, quarter of a close, rep I do is a win. In fact, I'm not even worried about setting it to close it. Probably, because I know I can't close it even with a set. lol

No set reps. I know I'm getting stronger little by little. When I do get a close from set it will be a milestone though.

To answer your rhetorical question, lol, I find grippers to be constructive, as opposed to destructive behavior we could be doing. Not to mention how formidable a strong grip is. 

I'm sure nobody here was born reping a #3. Except Paul Knight lol.

It did just occur to me that when you say attempt, it may be referring to an attempt to cert. In that case I agree.

Edited by mgalovic

On Friday, September 09, 2016 at 0:16 PM, Paul Markowski said:

During my grip training today, I decided to do a parallel "set" with the COC #3 with my dominant hand.  Went very well.  Was indeed able to "set" the gripper and hold it in place for the time I wanted to hold it (2 seconds)....now, I realize that for many of you, this may seem unimpressive but in my mind, if you "can't set it, you will not be able to close it".  It is that simple!!  I know for a fact that about 2 months ago, I was NOT able to even "set" the #3 so this is a strength gain.  Also today, I was within a sheet of paper width away from closing the COC #2.5 using a Mash Monster set.  Looking forward to my next grip workout!

What's the distance between the handles for parallel set? Is that like 20-30 milimeters?

23 minutes ago, Yan_Wei said:

What's the distance between the handles for parallel set? Is that like 20-30 milimeters?

I don't know the exact distance....personally, I just eyeball it!

Just now, Paul Markowski said:

I don't know the exact distance....personally, I just eyeball it!

How do you train?

39 minutes ago, mgalovic said:

On the contrary, I have one gripper. An HG250. Nowhere near closing it, but I'll keep training with it until I do. Every little, quarter of a close, rep I do is a win. In fact, I'm not even worried about setting it to close it. Probably, because I know I can't close it even with a set. lol

No set reps. I know I'm getting stronger little by little. When I do get a close from set it will be a milestone though.

To answer your rhetorical question, lol, I find grippers to be constructive, as opposed to destructive behavior we could be doing. Not to mention how formidable a strong grip is. 

I'm sure nobody here was born reping a #3. Except Paul Knight lol.

It did just occur to me that when you say attempt, it may be referring to an attempt to cert. In that case I agree.

True.  Just goes to show how "individual" grip training truly is!  What works for one guy won't for another.  That's the beauty of the sport,

5 hours ago, Yan_Wei said:

How do you train?

My training is very simple:

Warmup: 10 minutes of heavy bag boxing work; tennis ball squeezes....and 5-10 rep sets (about 5 in all) with various grippers: HG100,150, Iron Mind Trainer and .5 and #1.

Workout: usually I do about 10 sets of work; I do between 1-3 reps per set; mostly singles though; work my way up to my Goal Gripper each time/......IF I feel strong that day, and the single rep sets up to that point felt easy, I usually go for a single new Personal Best crush with Goal Gripper!  Whether I achieve success or not with this gripper, this is the ONLY max attempt that I do...I then do drop sets for multiple reps (2-3) with grippers that I know I can close.  That is it!  Very simple yet effective.

43 minutes ago, Paul Markowski said:

My training is very simple:

Warmup: 10 minutes of heavy bag boxing work; tennis ball squeezes....and 5-10 rep sets (about 5 in all) with various grippers: HG100,150, Iron Mind Trainer and .5 and #1.

Workout: usually I do about 10 sets of work; I do between 1-3 reps per set; mostly singles though; work my way up to my Goal Gripper each time/......IF I feel strong that day, and the single rep sets up to that point felt easy, I usually go for a single new Personal Best crush with Goal Gripper!  Whether I achieve success or not with this gripper, this is the ONLY max attempt that I do...I then do drop sets for multiple reps (2-3) with grippers that I know I can close.  That is it!  Very simple yet effective.

Do you use any Adjustable Grippers (might have asked you this once, but forgot), also how is your heavy grip 150 & 200 compared to the CoC Grippers you have? I only have one CoC (a 2.5 which is fairly on par with a GHP 7), an XFitness 150 & HG 200 (probably around 20% or so stronger than the XF 150) to go by with a Silvis T-Rex and other elite grippers (BB SE & RB 400) to go by, but my HG 200 if my guesstimation is correct is about 100 lbs rgc or so since it feels almost exactly like my T-Rex around the lowest setting.

13 hours ago, Yan_Wei said:

Do you use any Adjustable Grippers (might have asked you this once, but forgot), also how is your heavy grip 150 & 200 compared to the CoC Grippers you have? I only have one CoC (a 2.5 which is fairly on par with a GHP 7), an XFitness 150 & HG 200 (probably around 20% or so stronger than the XF 150) to go by with a Silvis T-Rex and other elite grippers (BB SE & RB 400) to go by, but my HG 200 if my guesstimation is correct is about 100 lbs rgc or so since it feels almost exactly like my T-Rex around the lowest setting.

I do not have any adjustable grippers as of yet!  I do like the Silvis grippers as they are adjustable and may purchase a couple soon.  

My HG 150 is about as tough as my Iron Mind Trainer....my HG 200 is just above my Iron Mind #.5 gripper....as you know, all grippers vary a bit so it is tough to say how easy or tough your HGs are.  My GHP #7 is on par with an Iron Mind #3 gripper. Just purchased a Robert Baraban 210...should be between my COC #2 and a COC #2.5 so it will help me bridge that gap.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't spend too much time training with HG grippers. They are low quality and often weaken a lot over time and their spread even decreases over time. They use cheap material to make those grippers. They can have a place in training but I wouldn't focus training with them since they change over time. You're time is better spent with the higher quality grippers like COC, tetting, GHP and RBs which will last for several years and won't change after the slight initial seasoning. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chez said:

Just my opinion but I wouldn't spend too much time training with HG grippers. They are low quality and often weaken a lot over time and their spread even decreases over time. They use cheap material to make those grippers. They can have a place in training but I wouldn't focus training with them since they change over time. You're time is better spent with the higher quality grippers like COC, tetting, GHP and RBs which will last for several years and won't change after the slight initial seasoning. 

Good points....I have heard a lot of negative things about the HGs.  Mostly that they are not well made and at times, fall apart!  I use them as "extras" mostly....I do concentrate on my COC and GHP grippers....and of course my one and only Baraban gripper.

I just wanna show HG some love. I think they're underrated. As far as I'm concerned, they're the best commercially sold grippers of their kind for the money, and I don't make a penny off their sales.