Sudden Significant Strength Loss

temmmeeee

Okay so some answers to this issue may be obvious, but I just wanted to see if anyone knows or has experienced something similar. I finally started making some life changes exactly a year ago when I began a caloric deficit (20-25% or so) and began to lift a bit more regularly. Since then, I've lost about 65lbs and about 2" in my arms but saw strength increases for a large majority of it up until about maybe 1 1/2 - 2 months ago. Before a strange and sudden strength decrease, I was able to bench 275  for 5 sets of 5 with no issue. My overhead press was at its best and pullups around 20 on a fresh set. I feel my strength decreasing more and more in these areas. Yesterday, I could barely get 5 paused reps of 225 on a fresh tank, overhead press strength has been significantly cut, and I have to push to get over even just 12 pullups. Grip strength is still increasing. I did do something to my shoulder about 8-10 weeks ago that still hasn't felt 100% right since, but it doesn't feel significant and it was done, embarrassingly enough, in my sleep somehow. Strength didn't cut like this immediately after either so I'm not sure if it's the main issue. Could the year of caloric deficit finally be catching up to me and that's what's mainly causing this? I was planning to stick with a smaller deficit I've been on for a bit until I begin a bulk in November, but may consider to start sooner instead. At the moment I'm counting macros and calories, eating 2650 a day at 6'4" and ~212#. For the first 10 months I was having 2430-2580. If anyone has been through something similar or has some advice I'd greatly appreciate it. I know this may seem kinda dumb with obvious answers, but I'm just a bit confused/worried about such a huge and sudden strength decrease. Thanks! :)

Injuries, huge caloric deficit, massive weight loss... seems like you're answering your own question... 

65lbs is a lot even over a year, that's a big change your body has to adapt to. I don't know what your weight goals are but 6'4" at 212 is good, maybe even underweight depending on your build.   I would deload for at least a week (probably a month), and then start eating at maintenance or above.  

1 hour ago, KRC said:

Injuries, huge caloric deficit, massive weight loss... seems like you're answering your own question... 

65lbs is a lot even over a year, that's a big change your body has to adapt to. I don't know what your weight goals are but 6'4" at 212 is good, maybe even underweight depending on your build.   I would deload for at least a week (probably a month), and then start eating at maintenance or above.  

My goal was just to look fit, regardless of the number on the scale. Most of my weight is in my upper body due to some permanent ligament damage in both knees and ankles from basketball a number of years back. Thanks for the advice, gonna go ahead and start that. I just wasn't exactly sure what the best thing to do was and was alarmed by the sudden decrease. Didn't know whether a year would be enough to adjust but figured at like 6 months that I'd somehow just keep gaining strength like I was. I'll deload and I guess it'd be best to go for an MRI or something just to see what's really up with the shoulder if anything at all. Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

I have very little knowledge on nutrition etc, although obviously as has already been mentioned, operating at a significant caloric deficit is not typically a recipe for strength gains. However, it's also worth considering other factors - have you been sleeping well, are you more stressed than usual for any reason, has the quality of your diet changed recently (e.g. due to travelling a lot and not being able to cook at home or whatever).

Sometimes I'll be in the gym and feel very weak and low energy, despite having had rest days etc. and it's often because of one of the factors I mentioned above (although sometimes it's just a mystery to me).

Best of luck with training and changing your body composition going forwards.

Sounds to me like you hit a wall. After a while of training we can deplete our body's resources, especially operating on a deficit. Might be time to switch things up a little and focus more on rehab. Although your knees might not be what they used to be, you may want to do some low intensity mobility training, because it will stimulate blood flow. You may be able to repair them. 

I'm not sure what the nature of your shoulder injury is, but here is what worked for me: Lay down on your back on the floor. Spread your arms out. Lift your extended arm a little bit off the ground. Take it through a range of motion. Find where it hurts. Then use your other arm by placing your hand behind the shoulder in question. Lift up on it to take some weight off of it. Doing that, take your shoulder through the range of motion that would hurt if you didn't have that support from your other arm. Do it carefully and slowly, paying attention not to irritate the area too much. Worked wonders for my shoulder.

I find with an injury, it is best to focus on it. Pin point it. Then engage it in a way that stimulates it, but only so much as to not aggravate it further.