What Is Most Effective For Making Gains On Closing Heavy Grippers?

Yan_Wei

I'm usually a TNS'er and will occasionally perform negative holds or forced closes, but what has worked for you guys? Were Parallels/choked closes more effective for obtaining training results, a mix of those plus ccs? What's your routine?

Edited by Yan_Wei

Hey man I've just got back into grip training and I'm trying the Joe Kinney methods at the moment and I think it's going smooth of course I'm not training to failure that's kinda of crazy imo. But I'm sure the veterans of the board may say same thing try different things see what works for you best.

• Like 1

I did a mix of two things: 

1. Existing strength exercises where I can tax the grip at the same time. Towel/rope pull-ups would be a good example.

2. Trying to squeeze a gripper one level above the targeted gripper and hold. 

• Like 1

This question is hard because there is no "fit to all" answer, it all depends on the individual.

There are many ways to Rome.

What work for me may not work for you and a other guy use a complete different approach to close big grippers.

I personally use choker work because i think it is important for the mind to makes the handles touch. I use a progressive distance method, when i sucessfully close a distance i open the choker 2-3mm and work again until i close the new distance.

After that i follow it up with a filled 3.5 Joe Kinney Style+extensor work

Low Volume high intensity works best for me

Second day is machine work: Secret Weapon and a Bruce Lee Style machine for the first half - low volume high intensity+extensor work

I have three CoC3 and could close my light and middle one from a wide set (no tns) the hard one still gives me trouble but i am confident i close it anytime soon.

My goal is to get certified on the CoC 3 and become a Captains of Crush for that i must close a 155-160 CoC 3 regularly to eliminate nasty surprises on certification day.

Maybe the stronger guys chime in and give advice to. The good thing on this board there is always someone stronger willing to help.

Hope that helps

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GripAustria said:

This question is hard because there is no "fit to all" answer, it all depends on the individual.

There are many ways to Rome.

What work for me may not work for you and a other guy use a complete different approach to close big grippers.

I personally use choker work because i think it is important for the mind to makes the handles touch. I use a progressive distance method, when i sucessfully close a distance i open the choker 2-3mm and work again until i close the new distance.

After that i follow it up with a filled 3.5 Joe Kinney Style+extensor work

Low Volume high intensity works best for me

Second day is machine work: Secret Weapon and a Bruce Lee Style machine for the first half - low volume high intensity+extensor work

I have three CoC3 and could close my light and middle one from a wide set (no tns) the hard one still gives me trouble but i am confident i close it anytime soon.

My goal is to get certified on the CoC 3 and become a Captains of Crush for that i must close a 155-160 CoC 3 regularly to eliminate nasty surprises on certification day.

Maybe the stronger guys chime in and give advice to. The good thing on this board there is always someone stronger willing to help.

Hope that helps

I've read on someone else's forum thread (forgot who) that they only perform mms and stressed the importance of setting grippers. I guess it's because I never really practiced that I usually expelled most of my energy setting the harder grippers that I never seem to succeed but only with the weaker ones. I just bought a Silvis T-Rex and a Tetting Super Elite, so I'll try choker and see from my preset setting at 125, how well I can do setting grippers from there. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rjackson said:

I was told the same.  I can do 20 reps on the COC Sport but cannot fully close the COC Trainer.  Now I am doing low volume high intensity. 

In the beginning high volume low intensity aquire me results, 2-3 months ago I switched to low volume high intensity and I made progression as well, then I sort of hit a plateau (solution seems to be related to food, sleep and rest-time) so after about 4 days of rest I might try a workout today, tomorrow or next week since I've had sores from mixing low & high volume/intensity and did this for 2 days straight. I have a gripper which feels around 150 rgc-wise and for months I've been trying to close it via TNS (about 15 milimeters away). Hopefully if not by the end of the month, soon after I get the T-Rex, I'll be able to make gains again.

Edited by Yan_Wei

After more than 20 years experience in strength sports i can tell you it is a good thing to change things up. Dont do the same all the time and listen to your body, generally speaking.

Strap holds in Case of grippers are really good and works well for me to that would be a good change to the workout i described

1 minute ago, rjackson said:

Okay this helps me understand the training system better.   Since I am a beginner, doing high volume was most likely beneficial.  Now that I have peaked, I need to move on to the next stage to make progress.

There is no one perfect system. So many effective ways to progress especially when you are in your first year of gripper training. The key is finding balance between training and recovery for you. High volume low intensity, low volume high intensity and medium medium all work when you find the balance for yourself. Just try to get most of your time under tension in the range that needs the most improvement (strength gain) and get enough recovery and you will progress.

- Aaron

• Like 2

Just now, rjackson said:

I greatly appreciate this especially since I am apprehensive about asking questions.   This is a male dominated sport and you men lift exponentially more than me.  I feel that my numbers are so low that I may not be taken seriously.  Maybe because in the weight room, the young men (it is a University weight room) disregard me because they only see how much I lift.  However I must add that historically, densely strong men are not like that. 

Regardless, I seriously want to close the Trainer once. 

Here questions are good unlike most strength / Bodybuilding forums. Most here like myself are happy to help anyone interested in getting stronger regardless of level or gender. This is not Planet Fitness, etc dominated by young brash "Bro-tastistic" lifters. You can and will close that Trainer.

- Aaron

• Like 6

Just now, acorn said:

Here questions are good unlike most strength / Bodybuilding forums. Most here like myself are happy to help anyone interested in getting stronger regardless of level or gender. This is not Planet Fitness, etc dominated by young brash "Bro-tastistic" lifters. You can and will close that Trainer.

- Aaron

Lol, planet fitness.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, rjackson said:

I greatly appreciate this especially since I am apprehensive about asking questions.   This is a male dominated sport and you men lift exponentially more than me.  I feel that my numbers are so low that I may not be taken seriously.  Maybe because in the weight room, the young men (it is a University weight room) disregard me because they only see how much I lift.  However I must add that historically, densely strong men are not like that. 

From what I've seen Gripsport tends to be fairly neutral, in that no one pays attention to gender or level. If someone needs advice, people are willing to help. The Grip 'community' compared to Body-building forums is much less focused on 'having the biggest dick' (metaphorically speaking), and more about cultivating the sport, showing feats, talking about training methods, without being so stand-offish about it. I guess that's because in Grip sport most people are only trying to compete with themselves ('have I got stronger this month' etc.) whereas body-building tends be more like 'This guy is bigger than me'.

There's no need to be apprehensive about posting here. And if it makes you feel any better, I know quite a few men who can't close a Trainer. Like Aaron said, you will close that gripper.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rjackson said:

In chess there is the speaking -every grandmaster was once a beginner- even a Bobby Fischer or Garry Kasparov had to start somewhere.

The only thing that matters is the willpower and discipline to reach your goals whatever this goals are. 

When someone laughs at you because you use light weights, forget about him just concentrate at you.

Maybe sometimes in the future,  with hard and dedicated work, you close a 2 gripper and get certified(Women can get certified on the 2 gripper) 

The laughing would be, with this feat, definetly at YOUR side 

All the best on your grip and strength journey

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rjackson said:

I was told the same.  I can do 20 reps on the COC Sport but cannot fully close the COC Trainer.  Now I am doing low volume high intensity. 

Get a GHP 1 gripper. It rates between a Sport and Trainer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rjackson said:

Okay I am very motivate now about improving my COC.  I just bought COC .5 (and the IM hub).    Watched the German Grip Nationals 2016 (on YouTube) and great to see a woman competing.

Adjustable grippers like from Silvis, Robert Baraban or even a gripper machine can help you progress without having to constantly buy new grippers if you're interested. Cannon and other venders sell the grippers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rjackson said:

Well you were right.  I closed the Trainer twice.  It is amazing that I have struggle for so long and now I did it twice with no question about it.  Needless to say, I am eagerly starting a new cycle next week!

Yay! Congrats! 

- Aaron

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rjackson said:

Well you were right.  I closed the Trainer twice.  It is amazing that I have struggle for so long and now I did it twice with no question about it.  Needless to say, I am eagerly starting a new cycle next week!

Great job, Ruth! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rjackson said:

With your dedication, I can't wait to see you certify on the #2 :D

21 hours ago, rjackson said:

Well, this is an inspiration! I'm 64, and am a beginner to grip training (and haven't done much strength training in general beyond some kettlebell sport training some years ago), and while I've been making good progress in general, closing the trainer has been frustratingly elusive.

• Like 3