GHP vs COC

Paul Markowski

I recently bought three GHP grippers to go along with my COCs.....I think they are very well built (just like the COCs).  I will be mixing and matching all these grippers (GHP=#4, #6 and #7),,,(COC=Trainer, .5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 and #3) as I train.  I figure that no two grippers are alike so once I figure out their "pecking order" as far as strength goes, I am hoping that a GHP gripper might be in a range between say the COC 1.5 and a COC #2!!!!  I figure this will give me even more of a chance to close a gripper that is not a #3 or a #2.5, but say a "COC #2.7" (which of course does not exist but is a GHP gripper can take the place of a COC #2.7)  that could help my progress.

Anyone out there use both the COC and GHP grippers?  Your input would be appreciated!

would you not buy an adjustable gripper? i can't advertise any particular model. but if you get one, it would cover all bases. i have 2, both cost about 100 euro or less. the euro is about the same as the dollar nowadays. regards Daithi

I would just rate or have my grippers rated to have an approximate poundage to go by instead of a guess. You can do this yourself, there is a lot of information out about it. Even if you are not 100% accurate that would be okay as long as you are consistent with your methods for each gripper.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, dave murray said:

would you not buy an adjustable gripper? i can't advertise any particular model. but if you get one, it would cover all bases. i have 2, both cost about 100 euro or less. the euro is about the same as the dollar nowadays. regards Daithi

You have 2 adjustables or torsion spring grippers? Which ones do you have? 

3 hours ago, Paul Markowski said:

I recently bought three GHP grippers to go along with my COCs.....I think they are very well built (just like the COCs).  I will be mixing and matching all these grippers (GHP=#4, #6 and #7),,,(COC=Trainer, .5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 and #3) as I train.  I figure that no two grippers are alike so once I figure out their "pecking order" as far as strength goes, I am hoping that a GHP gripper might be in a range between say the COC 1.5 and a COC #2!!!!  I figure this will give me even more of a chance to close a gripper that is not a #3 or a #2.5, but say a "COC #2.7" (which of course does not exist but is a GHP gripper can take the place of a COC #2.7)  that could help my progress.

Anyone out there use both the COC and GHP grippers?  Your input would be appreciated!

I had a GHP7, but sold it because my CoC 2.5 (this thing is a mutant, as my GHP7 was rated at 154 lbs or 70 kg) was more or less 95% as strong as it. Knurling is sharper on GHP than CoC. The only GHP I have now is the Level 10 which is my life goal to TNS that.

I've heard people say the GHP6 can serve as a bridge between the CoC 2.5 & 3, but nowadays idk since stronger grippers seem to be produced today or a bunch of outliers are being sold on the market.

Edited by Yan_Wei

The GHP grippers generally seem to fall between the CoC ratings. I have a GHP5 which rates at 112, and a GHP6 which rates at 137. The GHP6 lies between the #2.5 and #3, the GHP5 is inbetween a #2 and a #2.5. As we know, grippers vary, but unless you get a real outlier the GHP series is a good companion to the CoC series.

1 hour ago, dave murray said:

Never really pondered that question Dave!  Don't know much about the adjustable grippers.

1 hour ago, acromegaman said:

I would just rate or have my grippers rated to have an approximate poundage to go by instead of a guess. You can do this yourself, there is a lot of information out about it. Even if you are not 100% accurate that would be okay as long as you are consistent with your methods for each gripper.

I see what you mean....I figure I will just take things slow and eventually, get a good read on where each gripper lies.

1 hour ago, Yan_Wei said:

I had a GHP7, but sold it because my CoC 2.5 (this thing is a mutant, as my GHP7 was rated at 154 lbs or 70 kg) was more or less 95% as strong as it. Knurling is sharper on GHP than CoC. The only GHP I have now is the Level 10 which is my life goal to TNS that.

I've heard people say the GHP6 can serve as a bridge between the CoC 2.5 & 3, but nowadays idk since stronger grippers seem to be produced today or a bunch of outliers are being sold on the market.

Your thinking is exactly what my thinking is.....if my GHPs can serve as in-betweens for my COCs, I will be extremely happy.

56 minutes ago, BenMorrissey said:

The GHP grippers generally seem to fall between the CoC ratings. I have a GHP5 which rates at 112, and a GHP6 which rates at 137. The GHP6 lies between the #2.5 and #3, the GHP5 is inbetween a #2 and a #2.5. As we know, grippers vary, but unless you get a real outlier the GHP series is a good companion to the CoC series.

Exactly what I was hoping to accomplish Ben!  I figure the more in-between grippers I can have at my disposal, the better my training will go.

1 hour ago, Paul Markowski said:

Never really pondered that question Dave!  Don't know much about the adjustable grippers.

There's various kinds; there's those based upon expansion Springs like Robert Baraban (RBA), Vatiz (what I have) and Vulcan. Then there are others like the Ivanko Super Gripper (I don't own one) which have different designs than ones like the 3 I mentioned. My Vatiz helped me a lot, though I'm close to closing Level 10 (one spring), it ranges from 29 or so different adjustable levels that can range from 2 kg (or 5 lbs) incremental advancements to as much as 22 lbs or 10 kgs.

Level 1 (1 spring) could be compared to a CoC guide, Level 6 my Heavy Grip 200 and Level 10 like a GHP6 or so. So this tool I've found quite useful even though the RBA Gripper likely has heavier settings. Vatiz costs about $80 shipping included while the RBA about $3 less. This is the only adjustable I've ever used, so idk how the others are exactly. 

1471983036806-177733470.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the info!!  Sounds pretty radical and effective!

Yan_Wei , yes , i i have the vulcan and the baraban. both efficient .

1 minute ago, dave murray said:

Yan_Wei , yes , i i have the vulcan and the baraban. both efficient .

Any major differences the two?

knurling on the baraban, none on the vulcan. i guess the vulcan is the original . i'd rather not get into the politics of it though. regards , Daithi.