2016 August - Living Legends - avasatu

avasatu

This is gonna be a long one. Spectated living legends this past weekend, and I have to say, it was one of the most fun weekends of my life. This probably isn't the usual write-up because I didn't compete, but I still have some to say.

Got to talk extensively to a bunch of people that I had previously only "known" via the board or facebook. Andrew Durniat is one of the most helpful and brutally honest people I have ever met, and extremely generous. He talked to me for over an hour and a half nonstop between even his very heaviest attempts, and gave me all sorts of insight into grip and training in general. The things that really stood out from that conversation were a) be careful not to overcomplicate the sport or your training. For example, he cited the lowly fatgripz as one of if not his main axle training tool, maybe even more so than the axle itself! b) this kind of thing takes TIME. It takes, in general, 15-25 YEARS to get strong, he told me. This is a tendon strength and CNS based sport, so expect to invest 3-4 times more time into it to achieve comparable weight lifting strength. And if you notice someone is having a meteoric grip strength rise, don't forget that all the manual labor, previous training (arm wrestling, climbing, powerlifting, sports) and general hand and arm activity that person uses in his/her daily lifestyle contributes heavily toward that 15-25 year marker!

Kody Burns is someone that has been more helpful to me than anyone I can think of at this time. He spent good time showing me just a bunch of STUFF (again, mid contest). That's the best way I can describe it. Just a large amalgamation of information that you probably wouldn't find elsewhere. He was extremely kind and generous as well. He thinks very deeply about the sport, and comes up with all kinds of drills and movements that no one else is doing or even knows, plain and simple, and is CONSTANTLY doing little movements and drills between every singe attempt. I hope to share some of this stuff in the future if I'm allowed. I will be training with him on as regular a basis as both of us can manage/he will allow, and I am MORE than grateful grateful to him for giving me the opportunity to do so. 

Luke Raymond was another person that came across as SUPER helpful, extremely nice, and most importantly, someone who seems like they genuinely want others to succeed. He showed me some pinch tips and drills, taught me and several other people some really useful arm wrestling information and technique, and was just all around really nice and funny. I wish he and Jedd lived closer because I would really like to have the chance to talk to them more often.

Jedd is just extremely passionate. That is the number one thing I noticed about him. He is also, however, super funny. We spent a half hour driving around Canton yelling at people and giving restaurant employees a run for their money, haha. He is also a riddle and word game master (more on that below). Oh, and he is crazy strong. CRAZY strong. He was one of a few people who not only did extremely well in contest, but continued doing really high level stuff until the early morning, while possibly intoxicated, lol.

Gil and Maria are awesome. Gil is just a beast. That guy was running on all cylinders the entire frickin day. The thing that really stood out about him is that he seems to have a great capacity to improve. He seems very aware of what he needs to do to get better, in other words. He also gave me some great information and tips throughout the entire day, and I wish I had talked to him more, though I'm sure I will in the near future. Maria is really funny, very INTERESTED and PASSIONATE about the sport and just fitness in general. She is also apparently a naturally strong arm wrestler!

I only briefly talked to Juha and Arto a few times, but they were both genuinely awesome guys and if I had two words to describe them, those words would be funny and serious. Juha was telling us how generally unfunny Finnish people are, and we all couldn't help but remark that they were some of the funniest people there! For example, Juha refused to drink root beer because it had the word beer in it, despite being well aware that it was not alcoholic. Little things like that all day! And Arto is now famous in the grip world: "DOOOO SOMETHING!" was his go-to line throughout the entirety of the contest. Really glad I had the chance to meet these guys, and I do hope they come back.

Aaron Corcorran was the mystery man. And as it turns out, he is a genius, really funny, really helpful, and is an encyclopedia. Innovative is the word that comes to mind. Oh, and also, he is insanely strong. Even compared to the strong guys in many aspects. Especially with grippers. Most of the time I spent with him was just joking around, BUT it is at the top of my list to actually have a serious grip talk with him in the near future, because there just was no time to do it with everything that happened throughout the day. It is something I regret not doing.

And then...Paul Knight. No, he is definitely not dead, and yes, he was at the contest, and yes, he is back at it. Meeting him was easily one of the best things that happened. The guy's generosity, enthusiasm, and hospitality were through the roof. He spent a good half hour during contest (he was just spectating...this time...) teaching me in detail how to set grippers and making me feel bad for doing choker work, lol. I realize now to a greater degree that if I had a great set I would be instantly much stronger. Then Jedd, Luke, Aaron, Gil, Maria, myself and a bunch of other guys went back to Paul's place and stayed there literally all night. His house is awesome, and his gym is probably more awesome. Until about 4 am, he shared TONS and TONS of some of the best possible information with me, and we all just messed around (over an hour of telling riddles, doing magic tricks, doing feats, puzzles, you name it) for the entire night. And he is GREAT at cooking steaks. It feels like I got to know him pretty well, and he is another one I plan on visiting on a regular basis to train with. It's also in your best interest not to try to grapple with him, haha.

Here is how the contest ran:

Every event was last man standing, and the open class went first per event. 

Thick axle:

I can summarize this event by just saying Andrew is insane. Not just in this event, either. Not only does he use little if any chalk, but he just walks up to the implement, lifts it, and walks away. No hype, no setup, not apprehension. Boom and done. He won this event, nearing the 400 pound mark (I unfortunately forgot to record exact numbers).

2.5 inch Saxon Bar:

Kody and Jedd are monsters. I'm not going to lie when I say Kody was making me nervous. Some of his submaximal attempts had me very nervous, but he pulled out the win in convincing fashion, barely barely eeking it out over Jedd, who was absolutely monstrous. The ending weight was either high 260s or somewhere in the 270s. 

Fat Anvil Trainer:

The single best thing about this event was the sheer amount of weight lifted. The final round was (I think) 246 pounds. I was NOT expecting that. However, due to the last few guys making what seemed like an accidental large jump, no one lifted the last weight, so Kody and Andrew tied it, I believe. Jedd and Gil may have also been included in that tie, but don't quote me on that. At this point, Andrew is barely in the lead. Gil in particular was absolutely monstrous during this event.

4" 1HP block

I admittedly didn't watch or film much of this because I was literally constantly talking to people by this point. Kody, despite not being a wide pinch fanatic, took this one, BARELY clinching the overall win, and knocking Andrew down to 5th place for the overall.  The weights ended up in the 80-90 lb range from what I'm told.

Final standings:

1st: Kody

2nd: Jedd

3rd: Gil

4th: Juha

5th: Andrew

6th: Arto

Congratulations to all those guys. Really inspiring. To end this, I will say that I will definitely begin competing, and soon. Like Southern Squeeze soon, or even earlier. And I would recommend anyone on this board to go and compete as well, and just TALK to these guys. They live on another planet, and it's a planet you should be trying to move to, even if it's slowly. I'm sorry if there was any misinformation.

• Like 19

Great write up, sounds like it was a great comp. You'll get strong for sure training with those kind of elite dudes. It'll raise your level of strength and expectation. 

• Like 1

Was nice to meet you and hang out after the comp as well. Take care

- Aaron

• Like 1

Awesome!!

• Like 1

Great write-up!  I am regretting not going to watch this in person.

• Like 1

Jedd Johnson = Riddle Champion

Paul Knight = Riddle Chump

• Like 3

It was nice meeting you also!! I still don't think we actually discussed the topic that you have been meaning to ask me about. I always enjoy going out to Paul's house as it is a load of fun. Overall a great weekend

• Like 1

@avasatu Very cool report.  Loved the details.  Took away a bit of the sting from having to miss it.  Thanks for taking the time to share.

• Like 1