Protein intake per day

Geralt

On 17-8-2016 at 11:28 AM, Wannagrip said:

Just eating well and you can get that without special drinks, etc.  That will cover you fine. 

What is excessive in your book Bill? For now, I am glad to get between 150 and 200 gram protein. I found that when I really start calculating what I get per day, it's not so easy to get the right amount of protein. But that could be me. Anyway, bit by bit I am making changes and tweaks in the way how I eat and it's getting better than what it was, nutrition wise. The sense of being more aware of what I eat nutritionwise is already better than how I approached my eating pattern before. Interesting to read how different some guys approach their nutrition, and how everybody has his opinion, some opinions perpendicular to other ones opinions. This gets even bigger when reading about this topic on fitness/healthpages and powerlifting on the other spectrum. apart from the obvious different intake and performance demands, healthwise there's still a lot of discussion. It seems that there's an article to back up every angle of opinion. Fun to read though. 

Protein textbook you should look at. Good info on protein as well as creatine. All peer supported and heavily researched information.

Protein Book

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Geralt said:

What is excessive in your book Bill? For now, I am glad to get between 150 and 200 gram protein. I found that when I really start calculating what I get per day, it's not so easy to get the right amount of protein. But that could be me. Anyway, bit by bit I am making changes and tweaks in the way how I eat and it's getting better than what it was, nutrition wise. The sense of being more aware of what I eat nutritionwise is already better than how I approached my eating pattern before. Interesting to read how different some guys approach their nutrition, and how everybody has his opinion, some opinions perpendicular to other ones opinions. This gets even bigger when reading about this topic on fitness/healthpages and powerlifting on the other spectrum. apart from the obvious different intake and performance demands, healthwise there's still a lot of discussion. It seems that there's an article to back up every angle of opinion. Fun to read though. 

towards 2g per lb of bodyweight and huge meat portions to boot (8oz or more).

• Like 1

This is indeed a funny topic. The supplement industry (and perhaps the meat industry?) has definitely influenced today's recommendations, which by the way, are vastly different depending on who you ask. But if you do some deep research, in the early 1900's you can find people were already studying this, and sure they probably had no access to current technology, but their findings would surprise you... I've seen papers from that era (1930's, etc) that conclude that 23g of protein for an average adult male is perfectly fine, even for physically active one. It is indeed very interesting to read this stuff and to see how, through the years, the "recommended" amount kept getting higher, and higher, and higher....

Geralt, the dollar to the euro is roughly equal . i am in Ireland. so, forgive me when i say 35 dollars is not going to break anyones bank. old story = with protein , the less legs on it the better. therefore, fish first, then chicken, turkey , then lastly beef or other farmyard animals. 

4 hours ago, dave murray said:

Geralt, the dollar to the euro is roughly equal . i am in Ireland. so, forgive me when i say 35 dollars is not going to break anyones bank. old story = with protein , the less legs on it the better. therefore, fish first, then chicken, turkey , then lastly beef or other farmyard animals. 

Yes, but putting a cloven hoof on those legs makes pig the king!  Pork is God's greatest gift to man.  :laugh

The protein book linked to above is excellent. It's a serious academic work by serious strength athletes and coaches. Just top notch. I highly recommend it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Scott Styles said:

The protein book linked to above is excellent. It's a serious academic work by serious strength athletes and coaches. Just top notch. I highly recommend it.

Exactly. No "bro science". Not a big conversation piece though it appears haha!

Edited by Shoggoth
  • Like 1

And what a coincidence that god's greatest gift and all its part goes best with beer? NO ITS NOT A COINCIDENCE - wish i had cloven hoofs....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Anton.Torrella said:

And what a coincidence that god's greatest gift and all its part goes best with beer? NO ITS NOT A COINCIDENCE - wish i had cloven hoofs....

Mmmmm pig and beer.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/23/2016 at 7:43 PM, lifesnotfair said:

This is indeed a funny topic. The supplement industry (and perhaps the meat industry?) has definitely influenced today's recommendations, which by the way, are vastly different depending on who you ask. But if you do some deep research, in the early 1900's you can find people were already studying this, and sure they probably had no access to current technology, but their findings would surprise you... I've seen papers from that era (1930's, etc) that conclude that 23g of protein for an average adult male is perfectly fine, even for physically active one. It is indeed very interesting to read this stuff and to see how, through the years, the "recommended" amount kept getting higher, and higher, and higher....

Good finding. But to be honest anything is enough. But will 23g of protein build the muscle you want? I doubt it.