Fatgripz

Roger Roberson

Hey guys wanted to ask question about the fatgripz . How do they compare to the inch dumbbell handle? 

• Like 1

The normal fatgripz has a diameter of 2-1/4" and the fatgripz extreme has a diameter of 2-3/4". The Inch Dumbbell handle has a diameter of 2-3/8" so is larger than the normal fatgripz and smaller than the fatgripz extreme. The material and fact it is a solid dumbbell are the two major differences. The steel handle is going to be much more slick than a fatgripz handle and The Inch rolls in your hand making it considerably more difficult to lift. Due to the difference in material, size and the unique feel of an Inch Dumbbell I think most people would consider them quite incomparable beyond the fact they both require open hand strength. However, if you are aspiring to lift The Inch then the open hand strength developed using fatgripz would help go towards that.

Thanks a lot for the info. I have a 24" load able dumbell handle York style so I may train some lifting with the fat grip I have. Still trying to figure where to put it into my weekly workout though .

In my experience the Fatgripz remain a little bit 'open' on most handles making the diameter the same or possibly bigger than the inch handle. Although different in feel to me they have proven to be almost as hard as an actual inch dumbbell. Last year I lifted a baby inch(67kg/148lbs) on my first try. At that time 67kg was also the most I had lifted on a loadable dumbbell with fatgripz. However the baby inch I lifted did have good texture on the handle. A slicker handle would be more difficult.

@Roger Roberson if you're training to lift the Inch definitely get one of these: http://www.fatbastardbarbellco.com/ProDumbbells.html

It's by far the best training tool you can use for that purpose. Not as cheap as fatgripz but much better and much cheaper than spending money on several solid dumbbells.

• Like 2

Thanks a lot I didn't know they sold these 

48 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

@Roger Roberson if you're training to lift the Inch definitely get one of these: http://www.fatbastardbarbellco.com/ProDumbbells.html

It's by far the best training tool you can use for that purpose. Not as cheap as fatgripz but much better and much cheaper than spending money on several solid dumbbells.

Do the plates roll with this handle? It looks good but a bit inconvenient to load and it looks like the plates would roll to me.

45 minutes ago, Liam Trott said:

Do the plates roll with this handle? It looks good but a bit inconvenient to load and it looks like the plates would roll to me.

No they will not move since you're using wrenches to fasten them. You'll need a hammer to remove the bolt/nut. Yes inconvienient but not nearly as inconvienient as storing multiple Inch replicas in your basement :)

1 minute ago, Fist of Fury said:

No they will not move since you're using wrenches to fasten them. You'll need a hammer to remove the bolt/nut. Yes inconvienient but not nearly as inconvienient as storing multiple Inch replicas in your basement :)

I think that threaded rod that stays on the handle with removable bolts would be more convenient. With some nylon washers you could probably get them hella tight too. Good that the plates don't roll. Definitely beats having a load of Inch replicas, you're right.

3 minutes ago, Liam Trott said:

I think that threaded rod that stays on the handle with removable bolts would be more convenient. With some nylon washers you could probably get them hella tight too. Good that the plates don't roll. Definitely beats having a load of Inch replicas, you're right.

I have that, I've made two handles myself. It's not convienient to change weights but it's probably the best training tool I have in my gym and the cost was less than 2000 SEK (around 200 €) to load up to more than 80 kilos. If I lived in the states I wouldn't hesitate a second to buy that handle from FBBC.

3 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

I have that, I've made two handles myself. It's not convienient to change weights but it's probably the best training tool I have in my gym and the cost was less than 2000 SEK (around 200 €) to load up to more than 80 kilos. If I lived in the states I wouldn't hesitate a second to buy that handle from FBBC.

I am not so handy so bough this one: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?/topic/46293-custom-inch-dumbbell-trainer/

I am looking forward to using it. Lifting the Inch is a huge goal of mine. It weighs a lot more than me so not sure how long it will take. The FBBC one looks great too.

1 minute ago, Liam Trott said:

I am not so handy so bough this one: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?/topic/46293-custom-inch-dumbbell-trainer/

I am looking forward to using it. Lifting the Inch is a huge goal of mine. It weighs a lot more than me so not sure how long it will take. The FBBC one looks great too.

Thats basically it, very simple but yet so effective. As long as the handle is the right dimension and the plates doesn't move then it will be a perfect simulator, you can make it harder by adding bigger plates to it, that will increase the rotation.

Lifting the Inch is a great feat IMO, to do it if your bodyweight is lower than the dumbbell itself is an extrodinary feat. I don't think many people can do that.

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Lifting the Inch is a great feat IMO, to do it if your bodyweight is lower than the dumbbell itself is an extrodinary feat. I don't think many people can do that.

I am going to be one of those few. My hands are tiny (6-1/2" long) so it might take a while but I am short so have the right proportions for a lift like that to lock out. I think that will help a little to make up for my small hands and lightness.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I like the fat grips since the rubber makes it easy to lift without much chalk. They gym I got does not allow chalk and I take them there.  The only thing I dont like is that if used on dumbells that have slightly thicker handles than usually the fat grips does not fully go around the handle and it is a bit annoying.  I still love them though and they are the best fitness investment I made I would say.

On 8/25/2018 at 1:08 AM, Emre said:

I like the fat grips since the rubber makes it easy to lift without much chalk. They gym I got does not allow chalk and I take them there.  The only thing I dont like is that if used on dumbells that have slightly thicker handles than usually the fat grips does not fully go around the handle and it is a bit annoying.  I still love them though and they are the best fitness investment I made I would say.

They go around them... just makes the diameter even bigger. 

3 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

They go around them... just makes the diameter even bigger. 

Actually I don't have the fatgripz brand.  I just realized it is a different brand.  When I use them at my gym and put them on the handle there is like about an inch gap left between rubber handles and they don't meet.  It just makes it a little challenging using it.  Maybe the actual brand fat gripzz handle might be better than the ones I have.  Thanks.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:48 PM, Emre said:

Actually I don't have the fatgripz brand.  I just realized it is a different brand.  When I use them at my gym and put them on the handle there is like about an inch gap left between rubber handles and they don't meet.  It just makes it a little challenging using it.  Maybe the actual brand fat gripzz handle might be better than the ones I have.  Thanks.

Are they black?  that might be Grip 4orce?  I might have spelled that wrong. 

I love my Fat Grips for Farmers Walks.  I can easily get 5# increments with regular hex DBs - I'm currently at 70# for 70 yards (one lap around my house) and getting close to using 80# bells.  Great grip workout.  Mine actually measure 2 3/8" with the slight gap on the handles.

42 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Are they black?  that might be Grip 4orce?  I might have spelled that wrong. 

They are red.  I am not sure of the brand, I have to go to check.  I will check and let you know.   Tnx

On 8/10/2016 at 4:47 PM, Liam Trott said:

I am going to be one of those few. My hands are tiny (6-1/2" long) so it might take a while but I am short so have the right proportions for a lift like that to lock out. I think that will help a little to make up for my small hands and lightness.

I know this is old... but how is your inch training coming? Have you lifted it yet?

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/1/2018 at 1:10 AM, Joseph Sullivan said:

I know this is old... but how is your inch training coming? Have you lifted it yet?

Sorry for the late reply! My training has stagnated a lot because life has been a bit heavy the last year or so. I am just getting back into things but am basically back at the beginning. Gonna work my pinch grip hard for a while in particular. Still planning on lifting it!