Under the Radar - Grip Profile - Juha Lehtimäki

anwnate

Once again, life has gotten in the way of Grip.  In order to get these profiles back on track, Juha Lehtimäki has graciously consented to be profiled on the GripBoard.

Today's profile features Juha from Finland.  When people hear that...they immediately think of Juha Harju. 

However, another Juha has made his presence know in Grip/Bending/Strength world. 

In the last few years, Juha Lehtimäki has made steady progress in Grip Contests against world class opponents like Juha, Matti, and Eirik.   He has lifted the INCH and "Millennium Trainer" Dumbbell.  His one hand deadlift is nothing short of extraordinary.  As you peruse his Youtube Channel, be sure to check out his deadlift and backflip video.  This man is "all over" strong.

When people think of the great "Double Overhand Unbraced Benders," names like Milfield, Hunt, Hadland, Edwards spring to mind.  Names like Povilaitis, Corcorran, Knight, Straussner, Kainz, Jennings, Livesey and Kirilov are at times spoken with disbelief.  "Did you see Alex's latest bend?"

With the advent of the "Gold Nail Era," there is a very small group of benders who are capable of any Gold Nail Bend...and an even smaller list of those actively attempting to train for the Cert.  Juha Lehtimäki has trained and earned himself a position in this elite field. The strength needed for this bend is literally brutal.  A Gold Nail Bender was once quoted saying, "It felt like I was breaking my fingers off."

Countless movies have been made about a character "overcoming impossible adversity"...enough to make it a cliche.  Seldom do we actually see this in "real life."

As impressive as Juha's bending prowess is, the story behind his climb to the Grip/Bending apex is even more so.  Let's have Juha take it from here...

Juha L profile.jpg

7 questions to get to know Juha.

1.  What are your stats?  Gripboard Name, Age, Height (inches/meters), Weight (lbs/kgs), R/L dominant hand size (cm/in), Country/City (or region … whatever you are comfortable with), Relationship Status, Kids?, Occupation ("international spy" is acceptable)

Gripboard Name: @Juha Lehtimäki

Height:  191cm (6' 3")

Weight 98kg (216lbs)

Dominant hand size: 20.5cm (8")

Relationship Status: Married

Children: Three beautiful children, Ida-Marie, Mikaela and Noel

2.  Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)?

In 2008, I had an accident.  After a long rehabilitation (almost 3 years), I wanted to start train again.  The doctor said that my hand will never be the same as it was, but I wanted to prove him wrong.  

In 2012, I started to Google about grip and found Juha Harju's Youtube Channel and Kimmo Kokko’s Rautakoura website.  

In 2014 I found videos about steel bending on YouTube. I saw how Paul Knight bend a Red Nails and FBBC bars and just decided to be the first man in Finland to cert. the Red Nail. (In 2014, Juha was successful in this goal.)

I've been train grip almost 4-5 years now.  My motivation?  Maybe this pic explains it best.  

Juha Arm.jpg

3.  Before you die, what is your ULTIMATE grip goal/goals?

My bending goals are cert the IronMind Gold Nail and ALL the biggest FBBC bars. 

In Gripsport, I would like to get an official 300kg one hand lift with 1″ handle, lift the Dinnie stones and also achieve a 500lb one hand deadlift with a hook grip.

4.  How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training?

This is always changing and it depends on what feats I'm working on. 

In the summer, I train outside lifting natural stones and concrete blocks.

I love to do heavy lifts (one arm deadlift, one hand concrete block lift, ring lift, farmer's hold and walk).  I do this about once a week.

My deadlift workout includes different lifts variations (one per week):  1 hand deadlift, 1 hand concrete block lifts, dinnie-style lifts on rings and conventional deadlift. 

My current training includes:

workout 1: Deadlift/back/sledge,

workout 2: Bench/steel bending,

workout 3: Front squat/shoulders/farmers walk

workout 4: Armwrestling/triceps.

5.  What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

Spending time with my family and friends, armwrestling and photography.

6. Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

I always like to challenge myself. If I decided to do something, I usually will also do it. No matter how long it takes...months or even years.

7.  Who's Grip profile would you like to see next?

Ivan Beritashvili

Thanks Juha.   You have incredible fortitude.  With a little luck...Ivan will be profiled in the near future. :)

• Like 24

Great text. The gold nail will be bend in future. 

One of my my biggest bending inspiration. 

• Like 2

One of my biggest inspirations in overall strength. Met Juha at the competition in austria this year. 

Greg guy and really strong. 

Bend the gold nail! 

• Like 2

Nice write up! May you slay the gold dragon :rock

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Awesome stuff as always Juha!   Get after that Gold brother & good luck my friend!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I just reread your profile, cool to see you going for 500 lb one arm dead with a hook.  I did 300 today which was a 75 lb pr for me, now I be ecstatic if I get 400.  Hook is super painful and takes years to build.

• Like 1