What are you bending and is it dangerous?

EJ Livesey

I bought a box of "pole barn nails" thinking they would be good to bend, and they snap and are dangerous, I think they do some hot-galvanizing that makes them more brittle.

9 minutes ago, liftyzig said:

I bought a box of "pole barn nails" thinking they would be good to bend, and they snap and are dangerous, I think they do some hot-galvanizing that makes them more brittle.

That's the 40d nails, right? I couldn't even find them at Home Depot or Lowe's. Guess it's a good thing I couldn't find them.

• Like 1

I think the fact they are "ringed" makes it worse.  I snapped one and punched myself in the face, luckily didn't stab myself.

Got these at tractor supply

IMG_20200501_124950.jpg

IMG_20200501_125014.jpg

24 minutes ago, liftyzig said:

I think the fact they are "ringed" makes it worse.  I snapped one and punched myself in the face, luckily didn't stab myself.

Got these at tractor supply

IMG_20200501_124950.jpg

IMG_20200501_125014.jpg

IMO nothing under 60D nails is even worth your time to buy. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I tried bending something similar years ago - and it snapped at well under 45 degrees.

Lesson learnt: Pretty anything with a lot of thread is NOT suitable for bending.

If I can find it I'll post a pic of a 6" * 5/16" Grade 2 with too much thread.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, AvgJo said:

Hey guys, 

I am a total noob at bending having never even tried it. Does anyone know if these nails are worth buying?

https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-round-wire-nail-l-140mm-dia-5-5mm-1kg-pack/3663602742852_BQ.prd

Cheers 👍

Depends on your hand strength and what type of bending you're going to do. If you can close #2.5 or more It's a waste of money. Could still be good for practicing double overhand technique tho.

As Luke said, get some 60D nails.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Depends on your hand strength and what type of bending you're going to do. If you can close #2.5 or more It's a waste of money. Could still be good for practicing double overhand technique tho.

As Luke said, get some 60D nails.

60D nails seem to be a US thing. I am from Scotland. However, I'm looking up the dimensions and trying to find something similar. Cheers 👍

3 minutes ago, AvgJo said:

60D nails seem to be a US thing. I am from Scotland. However, I'm looking up the dimensions and trying to find something similar. Cheers 👍

Then try to find 6 mm or 1/4 nails or 6 mm or 1/4 cold rolled steel. Then you can try stainless steel at the same size.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Then try to find 6 mm or 1/4 nails or 6 mm or 1/4 cold rolled steel. Then you can try stainless steel at the same size.

That's great, thanks again 👍

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, hope this is the right place to post this. I have been doing A LOT of digging to find a decent steel supplier in Sweden for CRS, Stainless and HRS for the best prices.
I have found some steel I have never heard of and was hoping maybe some of you guys has experience with bending them.

S355

1.4404 Stainless

Are they safe to bend?

Thanks in advance

Its the other way around on the s355J2. It has great welding conditions, which means that it has low carbon content. 

I have seen many bend that steel and I have done so myself. 

Its avaliable both as hot rolled and cold rolled.

The stainless steel should be no problem either. Low carbon content, higher content of molybdenum and nickel then the common stainless steel. Good welding conditions.

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Slippery Pete said:

Its the other way around on the s355J2. It has great welding conditions, which means that it has low carbon content. 

I have seen many bend that steel and I have done so myself. 

Its avaliable both as hot rolled and cold rolled.

The stainless steel should be no problem either. Low carbon content, higher content of molybdenum and nickel then the common stainless steel. Good welding conditions.

Thank you for clarifying this! I apologize for causing confusion. 

Yep, they are safe to bend and have a very good quality.

With the CRS the S235 and the S355 are the two best in this sector and very nice for your training bends.

The SS should be not too hard to bend, so also good for training.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

Thank you @Slippery Pete @Horrido

I think ill grab the S355 at 8x180mm since its cheaper. How will it compare to a RedNail?

The 355 I bought was way harder then a Red Nail. I got some 235 8mm square CRS and that's easier to bend then the 355.

I have 8x180 8.8 bolt with the letters SB on the head. That bolt is a little bit harder then the 355.

So you might get some really hard steel.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Slippery Pete said:

The 355 I bought was way harder then a Red Nail. I got some 235 8mm square CRS and that's easier to bend then the 355.

I have 8x180 8.8 bolt with the letters SB on the head. That bolt is a little bit harder then the 355.

So you might get some really hard steel.

Wow so its really tough crs? Ill grab a few then and have them as my PR bends 👍 thanks for the help

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bruce1337 said:

Wow so its really tough crs? Ill grab a few then and have them as my PR bends 👍 thanks for the help

Buy it and see what happens!

Steel varies. The number tells you what load the steel can handle. The higher the number, the stronger steel you get.

But some steel are way stronger then the minimum requirements. Better safe then sorry right?

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

Has anyone done this kind of research on the different kinds of aluminum? I've bent some 6063 aluminum from the hardware store and the thicker stuff (1/2") binds up pretty good on the crush but I haven't had any of it snap. On the other hand I know @Squeezus was working on a series of certification bars ("Barrel Bars") that were 6061 aluminum, but he said that some diameters would occasionally snap unexpectedly. I found a source for some 6061-T6 aluminum that I'm considering buying to bend at 3/8", however I'd rather be sure I'm not going to hurt myself before I buy any.

• 3 months later...

Seems like a lot of guys have started using rebar. Where does it fall on the list? My guess it would be impossible to snap on you but how hard it is peer diameter compared against CRS? 

7 hours ago, jculpepper said:

Seems like a lot of guys have started using rebar. Where does it fall on the list? My guess it would be impossible to snap on you but how hard it is peer diameter compared against CRS? 

My guess it will be all over the place. Depends on what type of steel it is. I've tried two different types of reebars and they are completley different. One is HRS which is easier in the kink but very hard in the sweep and crush. The other is another type of steel (don't remember the name) which is more like CRS (maybe it is). Harder to kink but easier in the sweep and crush. At 8 mm it's about equal to a red nail, while the HRS is easier (to kink) but harder to crush. I've also seen that there's stainless steel rebars you can buy, those will be even more different. I'm sure there's more types as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

My guess it will be all over the place. Depends on what type of steel it is. I've tried two different types of reebars and they are completley different. One is HRS which is easier in the kink but very hard in the sweep and crush. The other is another type of steel (don't remember the name) which is more like CRS (maybe it is). Harder to kink but easier in the sweep and crush. At 8 mm it's about equal to a red nail, while the HRS is easier (to kink) but harder to crush. I've also seen that there's stainless steel rebars you can buy, those will be even more different. I'm sure there's more types as well.

Thanks @Fist of Fury. I kinda have a feel for how the CRS, bolts, and DR fit in to everything. I guess I'll buy some and try it. 

The diameter of rebar seems to be very different. Some sources seem to give the diameter by the thickest point over the ”ridges” and other seem to measure at the thinnest point inbetween the ”ridges”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2021 at 4:15 AM, jculpepper said:

Rebar is not only cheap, but it's completely safe to bend. It is specifically designed to be bent. And also makes for great snapping workout as well.

They can vary alot! Ive bought 8mm rebar from the same supplier and they have ranged from feeling like an easy grade 8 to harder than a red nail. 

As David said, I always measure from between the ridges, so find something around the 5/16 mark and try it out.

• Thanks 1