Noob Bending Amnesty Question Thread (lots of merged threads)

Briso

1 hour ago, Lennix said:

New to bending! I dont have any power with the steel under my chin, but have lots of power at chest height.. Any problems with that? 

Stainless Steel 6mm thick 145mm long 

Yes there is a problem.  You are not using your back at all and essentially chicken winging it.  When you attempt tougher steel you will soon come to an impasse.  Attempting to bend higher (towards neck) and forcing your elbows towards each other (not down) will help you engage your back...which will ultimately make you a stronger bender. 

That said, there are plenty of people who have certed the Red at chest level.  So...I guess the real answer to your question depends on your goals.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Yes there is a problem.  You are not using your back at all and essentially chicken winging it.  When you attempt tougher steel you will soon come to an impasse.  Attempting to bend higher (towards neck) and forcing your elbows towards each other (not down) will help you engage your back...which will ultimately make you a stronger bender. 

That said, there are plenty of people who have certed the Red at chest level.  So...I guess the real answer to your question depends on your goals.

Alright! I guess I don't have the mobility yet to do it cuz I really have a hard time kinking it further towards the neck. My goal atm is the red nail cert but we will see, this is really fun! Only been doing it for 3 days. Got some heavier steel on the way :)

Here's a video where I have it further up, this is 6mm 200mm long and it was the first bend of today and the previous was the 6th bend 

Edit: love the phrase chicken winging it :D

Edited by Lennix
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, anwnate said:

I agree with Nate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I've got some tougher steel yesterday, HRS 8mm. I first tried a 200mm CRS 8mm and blew alot of power on it (didn't know it was tougher then the HRS xD )

But I tried to listen too the advices I got from you Anwnate, how does it look?

21 minutes ago, Slippery Pete said:

Lennix, they are 180mm give or take a mm. Not 200mm. 

Even the cold rolled steel? thought the HRS was 180mm and those shiny 200?

I've found as long as you focus on moving your elbows forward/together in a straight line (vs the chicken wing where your elbows are no longer in a straight line) and the bar is higher than your nipples, you don't need it super high under your chin.

This is useful stuff and a common problem, but you might want to start a new thread, probably get more exposure and more detailed advice.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm pretty new to braced bending. I don't really know whats considered good there, and I want something to aim at.

The best bend I have done so far is a 12x420mm hot rolled steel. (Round bar)

Edited by Slippery Pete
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Slippery Pete said:

I'm pretty new to braced bending. I don't really know whats considered good there, and I want something to aim at.

The best bend I have done so far is a 12x420mm hot rolled steel. (Round bar)

That’s a nice bend. Are you mostly interested in staying at those short lengths or are you open to doing longer bends? An entry-level bend would be 16x800mm, and a lot of stronger guys are going to 20mm at longer lengths (eg 122cm). It’s a tough bend but it’s a good goal. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Tom Flesher said:

That’s a nice bend. Are you mostly interested in staying at those short lengths or are you open to doing longer bends? An entry-level bend would be 16x800mm, and a lot of stronger guys are going to 20mm at longer lengths (eg 122cm). It’s a tough bend but it’s a good goal. 

Alright! Thanks :) I think I'm more into shorter lengths. I dont wanna do the bars that is over a meter. I will buy some 14mm and 16mm. 

14x600mm  is a bar I'm looking forward to try. Might be a silly question, but is that really hard or is it within reach?

That’s certainly within reach. 5/8x23 inches is a tough bend but several strong benders have gotten there. Yours is a bit narrower and around the same length so I’d imagine it’s doable - a lot closer to 1/2” than 5/8 and a comfortable length.

I’ll be interested to see how it goes! Post a video. 

• 1 year later...

For those who train bending and crushing:

- Same day?

- If same day, which one do you train first? 

I have initially settled into same day training, 3x week. Yesterday I did crushing in the morning (may have overdid it to a degree). A few hours later I did a session with Wrist Developer immediately after my strength workout. Later in the day I did a snapping session. That's actually a sustainable protocol for me because I can do the first two sessions during work. Feedback appreciated. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AcroBend said:

For those who train bending and crushing:

- Same day?

- If same day, which one do you train first? 

I have initially settled into same day training, 3x week. Yesterday I did crushing in the morning (may have overdid it to a degree). A few hours later I did a session with Wrist Developer immediately after my strength workout. Later in the day I did a snapping session. That's actually a sustainable protocol for me because I can do the first two sessions during work. Feedback appreciated. 

DU bending is the only form of bending I had success of training before grippers. Although I'm really weak at that technique, so that's probably the reason that worked for me. However I did feel stronger at grippers after  bending a few bars DU.

For reverse I always do it after. If it's not a max bend I can manage to do it before grippers. Once up on a time I trained reverse bending, grippers and thick bar. Twice a week. In that particular order. I managed to make progress on all three at the same time (although very limited progress with grippers). Something I never ever succeeded with before or after that.

For DO, I can't do anything grip after that, completely destroys me.

I would do grippers before bending. I think that's best, not only because the results you'll get but it also serves as warmup before bending.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

DU bending is the only form of bending I had success of training before grippers. Although I'm really weak at that technique, so that's probably the reason that worked for me. However I did feel stronger at grippers after  bending a few bars DU.

For reverse I always do it after. If it's not a max bend I can manage to do it before grippers. Once up on a time I trained reverse bending, grippers and thick bar. Twice a week. In that particular order. I managed to make progress on all three at the same time (although very limited progress with grippers). Something I never ever succeeded with before or after that.

For DO, I can't do anything grip after that, completely destroys me.

I would do grippers before bending. I think that's best, not only because the results you'll get but it also serves as warmup before bending.

Thank you for the detailed response! While my main focus is making progress on bending, I'd like to improve my crush as well. The after effects of crushing seem to be way more prevalent the day after, as opposed to bending where my hand/wrists feel spent the same day. That's why I plan to do crushing first for now and see how it goes. Long-term goals are bending (and then snapping) a red nail and shutting the CoC #3.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 9:29 AM, Lennix said:

So I've got some tougher steel yesterday, HRS 8mm. I first tried a 200mm CRS 8mm and blew alot of power on it (didn't know it was tougher then the HRS xD )

Where did you get your steel from? Been looking for 8mm steel in all hardware stores and with no luck.

• Like 1

Looking for technique advice. Been bending seriously for almost two months.

Here is my bend of a 7mm x 7" CRS in single suede. I bend this while double wrapped with ease so the strength is there, but in singles it almost kicked my ass. Looks like I need more wrist strength and mobility? After the kink I almost completely gassed out and the crush took forever.

6 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

Where did you get your steel from? Been looking for 8mm steel in all hardware stores and with no luck.

Got them from a friend unfortunately! 

• Sad 1

• 1 year later...

Has anyone done the math/measured how much the force required goes up on any given bar if you cut 0.5" off?  I seem to remember reading somewhere it adds 15% but I haven't been able to find it again.

Thanks in advance!!

2 hours ago, jculpepper said:

Has anyone done the math/measured how much the force required goes up on any given bar if you cut 0.5" off?  I seem to remember reading somewhere it adds 15% but I haven't been able to find it again.

Thanks in advance!!

Got this from @devinhoo. Tons of useful info on a spreadsheet that he updates regularly.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10GKgwi09M2O_d-_XkpKIe8v6dUhbZXORAL5KNg8DO_Y/edit?usp=drivesdk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, stranger said:

Got this from @devinhoo. Tons of useful info on a spreadsheet that he updates regularly.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10GKgwi09M2O_d-_XkpKIe8v6dUhbZXORAL5KNg8DO_Y/edit?usp=drivesdk

Thanks @stranger!! that was the doc I had seen before just couldn't remember where to find it. 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 3:34 PM, jculpepper said:

Thanks @stranger!! that was the doc I had seen before just couldn't remember where to find it. 

It's also available with a bit more of a preface on my website or via my Linktree. I tried to be as descriptive as possible about what everything means as I was really confused when I first started looking up numbers. It is very different compared gripper ratings i was used to, so the goal was to make it easier on people looking for information.

If you're interested in the math involved, I've done a lot of work trying to figure it out and make it easier to take a known value at 7" and then see about how tough it would be at a different length. I've also done similar calculations to determine approximate ratings given diameter and material based on extrapolations of existing data which is on other tabs of that spreadsheet. I got a lot of inspiration about the math and metallurgy about this after talking to @Squeezus@wobbler, and @acromegaman. I also drew a lot of the base data from @David Horne and @acorn's websites.

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, devinhoo said:

It's also available with a bit more of a preface on my website or via my linktree. I tried to be as descriptive as possible about what everything means as I was really confused when I first started looking up numbers. It is very different compared gripper ratings i was used to, so the goal was to make it easier on people looking for information.

If you're interested in the math involved, I've done a lot of work trying to figure it out and make it easier to input a know value at 7" and then output about how tough it would be at a different length. I've also done similar calculations to determine approximate ratings based on diameter and material based on extrapolations of existing data which is on other tabs of that spreadsheet. I got a lot of inspiration about the math and metallurgy about this after talking to @Squeezus@wobbler, and @acromegaman. I also drew a lot of the base data from @David Horne and @acorn's websites.

I am never disappointed with how great and helpful all of the grip guys are!!! Thanks for all of your hard work on this @devinhoo.  I am an engineer so I like to geek out on the math. 

• Like 2

Hello benders, I have a few of questions.

Reverse style- how many fingers are on steel(under wrap) with bending hand and how many on the "anchor hand" 

Double Overhand- What does it mean when someone says to try to "fold" bar instead of bend it? What fingers are the primary force in DO. Also, I read somewhere that people should press inward on the bar- I can't understand that.

Thanks in advance.

Just now, Kluv#0 said:

Hello benders, I have a few of questions.

Reverse style- how many fingers are on steel(under wrap) with bending hand and how many on the "anchor hand" 

Double Overhand- What does it mean when someone says to try to "fold" bar instead of bend it? What fingers are the primary force in DO. Also, I read somewhere that people should press inward on the bar- I can't understand that.

Thanks in advance.

I am far from an expert and don't know the first think about Reverse but I know at least the basics of the DO. 

By pressing into the bar it's actually into the ends. So the force actually pushing your hands together. If the bar wasn't there your hands would be pushing against each other. 

Then when you get all of your tension on the bar you "fold" it. I kind of think of it like if you stand on top of an empty soda can it will hold your weight but if someone comes along and just gives it a little flick it caves. 

The folding comes in as you drive down the steel will almost buckle on you. (And will at the easiest steel)

The DU and the Reverse your more bending the steel around your hand to form the U shape. 

Please correct me where I went wrong pro benders.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jculpepper said:

I am far from an expert and don't know the first think about Reverse but I know at least the basics of the DO. 

By pressing into the bar it's actually into the ends. So the force actually pushing your hands together. If the bar wasn't there your hands would be pushing against each other. 

Then when you get all of your tension on the bar you "fold" it. I kind of think of it like if you stand on top of an empty soda can it will hold your weight but if someone comes along and just gives it a little flick it caves. 

The folding comes in as you drive down the steel will almost buckle on you. (And will at the easiest steel)

The DU and the Reverse your more bending the steel around your hand to form the U shape. 

Please correct me where I went wrong pro benders.

Wow! Thanks for the excellent DO description! I had no clue about DO but I can visualize that now. I would see individuals starting bend with knuckles almost facing each other and could not understand- now it makes sense.